Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Gameko posted:

At this point I prefer original who hands down. I'll take the most boring 2-set Jon Pertwee no budget bottle episode over the debacle that was the 12th Doctor's debut.

Same here, nuWho looks slick and there are times when the show has flashes of genuine heart, but I absolutely hate that it's designed for the modern era of television and everything just feels like it's in a hurry to get to the end of the episode because it all has to be wrapped up in 45-55 minutes or so. Whereas putting on something like a six-part Pertwee story is like comfortably slipping into a big recliner and relaxing with a nice hot cup of tea at the end of a long day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Timby posted:

Davison was also already beloved in Britain because of All Creatures Great and Small.

For that matter, Hartnell, Troughton, and Pertwee were also well-known names by the time they took the role. Hartnell for "The Army Game", Troughton for numerous character roles and being one of the first TV versions of Robin Hood, and Pertwee was a popular comedian thanks to "The Navy Lark". And Colin Baker was also pretty well-known for his stint on "The Brothers". As far as the classic series went, it was mainly Tom Baker and Sylvester McCoy who were relative unknowns when they took the role.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Just watched this and it reminds me of how great it was that Big Finish gave Bonnie Langford (who looks fabulous in this, btw) a chance to redeem the character of Mel from how she was portrayed on the show. Also reminded me of when Mel left the Doctor, and how nice her departing scene was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYeAwGXs9jI

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
I just realized (after uploading and organizing my Big Finish and BBC Audio DW stuff to my Plex media server, because I'm totally cool and not at all a nerd) that I hadn't been on the BF site in forever, so I wandered on there and of course ended up buying like 3 audios (from the old "Monthly Adventures" range, because they're only $2.99 and I'm cheap). I suspect this is going to lead to me buying more stuff again down the road...

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
The Invasion is one of my favorite 2nd Doctor stories for a ton of reasons, but a big one is Kevin Stoney's smugly evil recitation of his henchman's name.

:smuggo: "Packer..."

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Davros1 posted:

Time Lords have always been able to be killed before the regeneration process kicks in. Example: The Castellan in "The Five Doctors". He's gunned down before he's taken to the (Not The) Mind Probe, and he doesn't regenerate.

I just re-watched "The Deadly Assassin" the other day, so if anyone needs further proof of a story with numerous examples of Time Lords biting the dust without regenerating, there you go.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Gameko posted:

I just went back and watched the unearthly child, which was one we couldn't get when I was a kid. Whe n they got to caveman times I thought we were heading for a twist where they discovered it was a post nuclear future. I guess the story was supposed to be around the ice age? It felt like there was a missed opportunity somewhere with the observations made about how cold the sand was and how ORB had gone from the sky.

Regardless it was entertaining. The doctor doesn't end up in the distant earth past too often.

IIRC, that story was commissioned back when DW's original remit as a series was "purely historicals" with the only sci-fi elements being the Doctor and pals and the TARDIS, so that's why they didn't do the post-apoc earth, because the idea was to plunk our heroes down in the middle of history as a sort of way to get British schoolkids interested in historical studies. Of course, the very next episode knocked that idea for six. :v:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Jerusalem posted:

I always heard that the original idea was always meant to be "one historical, one sci-fi" with the idea being that the sci-fi stories would be about exploring potential interesting speculative ideas about the future which in turn would stimulate the minds of kids and keep within the educational remit intended for the show? From memory Neuman was very much about the historicals and wasn't entirely happy about the Daleks even if it was speculative about the dangers of nuclear war, but welp then the ratings came in....

As noted, it basically ends up being largely abandoned and the sci-fi stories are just rip-roaring space adventures and eventually the pure historicals (which I deeply miss) just got eased out.

Yeah, I did some light reading after the fact, and that seems to have originally been the idea (with the two human companions being history and science teachers, to make "here's a history and/or science fact" dialogue more plausible, instead of sounding forced). And after the success of "The Daleks", the production team (at least at the time) began to really dislike doing the pure historical stories (to say nothing of the Beeb's insistence on finding the next alien creature to replace the Daleks in pop culture fads), which is why they eventually got kicked to the curb. And by the time they tried bringing them back during Davison's run with "Black Orchid", the audience was pretty solidly used to sci-fi being the dominant focus of the show.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Carbon dioxide posted:

Are you saying The Fires of Pompeii isn't historically accurate?

Not only that, but it turns out "The Mark of the Rani" totally is. :v:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

ikanreed posted:

I've started watching Classic Who, and boy howdy do women only exist for screaming in fear while a man tells them not to be afraid.

I'm guessing you haven't worked your way up to Leela, Tegan, or Ace yet

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

ikanreed posted:

Literally only episode 3 of The Daleks so far.

I felt the need to post because I got to a scene where a thal shows up and says "don't be afraid" and then Susan screams, then he says it again and she screams again.

The previous scene was her flailing terrified through the forest, and the one before that was her being told not to be afraid by her teacher.

No worries, sorry if my post came across kind of lovely there. :sweatdrop: It is a common criticism that's been leveled at the show, and unfortunately it's not entirely without merit. Thankfully they did work on trying to get that element out of the show, but even near the end they still had "female companion screams the moment there's a hint of danger" with Mel. That's one of the good things about the revived series, I don't believe any of the female companions had those sorts of "screams her head off" moments since the show came back in 2005.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Jerusalem posted:

Janet Fielding tells a great story about JNT telling her that she was hired to "get the dads in from their sheds" and her telling him to gently caress off with that bullshit :allears:

Janet Fielding is a beautiful woman and was definitely one of my early teenage crushes back when she played Tegan, but she's also a wonderful absolutely-no-bullshit feminist and I can just picture her saying that to JNT :laugh:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

OldMemes posted:

Oh boy, if you're not familiar with the sheer batshit insanity of the Eighth Doctor Adventures, here's a tl;dr version.

So the Eighth Doctor finds out that in the future, the Time Lords will have a universe destroying conflict with a group known as "The Enemy". There's a cult called Faction Paradox who want to speed up the start of the war (referred to as The War in Heaven) because they get a kick out of making paradoxes and chaos in time. The Faction start manipulating the Doctor into becoming one of their agents, and infect him with a virus that will mutate him into "Grandfather Paradox". Romana regenerates and tries to figure out who the enemy is to prepare. The TARDIS explodes, but luckily the Doctor makes friends with Compassion, a lady who is a TARDIS, and the Doctor flies around in her head.

However, editorial got bored of the War in Heaven story, and decided to scrap novels that would identify the Enemy and properly wrap the story, so Faction Paradox and the Enemy were dropped from the novels and never mentioned again, but spun-off into non-BBC books.

The Doctor blows up Gallifrey, and spends 100 years on Earth with amnesia waiting for the TARDIS to regrow, and fosters a daughter from the distant future. When he can travel again, the Doctor gets bored of trying to cure his amnesia and that plot point is dropped. Then his second heart dies because Gallifrey has been erased from the timelines, so he cuts it out, but another guy puts it in his chest for time travel reasons. A new group is trying to take the Time Lord's place in a chaotic, unordered timeline, clearing out the time vortex of life, and killing old companions so that they can trim alternative universes and eat the lack of choices. It turns out they're crystal skeletons who look like the Doctor, and one travels to 1963 and becomes the First Doctor or something. This is never explained. Then it turns out K-9 was plastered behind a wall in the TARDIS all along by Romana, and reveals that the Doctor has the contents of the matrix in his head, and can restore Gallifrey and then something to do with the Doctor's father or something, then the novels end on an unresolved cliffhanger.

Big Finish declared in Zagreus that all of this was an alternative to theirs and not canon to their 8th Doctor, and promptly retconned an early mention of a novel companion away. Night of the Doctor confirmed that the Big Finish version is the TV canon version of the 8th's Doctor's adventures.

Somewhere in all of this too, the Third Doctor gets shot and killed, despite all the subsequent regenerations still existing.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Oh, surely it can't be all that bad, after all it's a story with Peri in it--

Doctor Who Reviews dot net posted:

After accepting that both the Doctor and Erimem are dead, she is very forcibly captured, drugged, and stripped by the Witches, forced to watch a man have his tongue and heart excised.

:stare:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Davros1 posted:

Have you gotten to the part about the attempted rape of Erimem?

In the review I read, yes, because no fuckin' way am I buying that audio. I will override my "completionist" mindset on that one.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Davros1 posted:

Another problem was, in 1984 due to the broadcast of the Olympics, the BBC edited the four part broadcast of "Resurrection of the Daleks" into 2 45 minute episodes. It ended up pulling decent ratings, so the BBC said make the following season all 45 minute eps. But the scripts had been commissioned, and turned in, so they ended up having to due a lot of revision to fit that format, including adding scenes that really served no purpose other than to pad the run time. And in the end, the 45 minute runtime wasn't really that popular. Plus, the BBC would schedule it against slick US programming like The A-Team. Eric Saward and JN-T butting heads over the tone of the show should take didn't help either.

But honestly, as pointed above, the real big hit was Michael Grade. Not only did he hate Colin Baker (because Colin had dated an ex of his), Michael Grade flat out hated science fiction, particularly Doctor Who. In fact, when he resumed his post as head of the BBC in 2004, he inquired if it was possible to stop production on the new series of Who, only to be told that it was too far along to stop.

Didn't Parliament draft a resolution or something, when Grade went back to the Beeb, saying they wanted assurances that he would not in any way interfere with the revived series of DW?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Personally I think the series needs a Tom Baker-type; not necessarily "Bohemian eccentric alien", but rather (as Tom himself has said many times) an actor who is just playing an amped-up version of themselves, so they just glide naturally into the role without much effort.

I think Jodie could have been that type of Doctor. She's effortlessly charming and charismatic, and I think her Doctor would have worked well in that way, sort of just buzzing around whatever situation and charming everyone into doing what she wanted them to do (except for the villains of course). That applies to her costume, as well; I'm of the opinion that she looked far better wearing Capaldi's outfit than she does in her actual duds, and I truly think she could have pulled a variation of that sort of outfit off quite well (it doesn't help that she's basically wearing "flood" pants :v:).

It doesn't help much that Chibnall seems determined to A)leave his mark on DW history and B)write big stories with something to say, because he's clearly capable of only producing bland drivel.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Barry Foster posted:

I felt like Matt Smith was this kind of Doctor, to be fair. He was obviously channeling Troughton but he seems like a genuinely weird dude irl and his Doctor seems a lot closer to himself than Tennant (who is much less kinetic than his portrayal) or Capaldi (incredibly nice and gracious person playing short tempered and awkward)

I'd agree with that; it's probably a big part of the reason why the show got so popular during his run, because he could just effortlessly slide into the role.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

OldMemes posted:

I still say Torchwood was a bad show.

I think this is one of the few things most people ITT can agree upon. Torchwood was hot garbage.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

CommonShore posted:

And all of us have watched every episode of it

Not I! I checked out partway through season 1 and never looked back :v:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Jerusalem posted:

All the "....of DEATH!" jokes aside, goddamn do I love the visual from this cliffhanger:

I juat rewatched Pertwee's first season, and drat if that wasn't a season where everything was firing on all cylinders. And Liz Shaw is definitely one of the most underrated companions to be sure :allears:

Gameko posted:

Which episode arc is that? I thought all the pertwee stuff was shot in color. Guess it's somewhere at the end of the 2nd Doctor's run?

I'll let someone else do the joke about the story's title :v:

It's actually from Pertwee's first season, and you're correct in that his stuff was shot in color. However, Pertwee's run was also subject to the BBC's then-policy of junking or reusing videotapes after an episode had been aired (IIRC, they didn't officially stop that practice until sometime during Tom Baker's run), because back then videotapes were horrendously expensive, and there was no home video market to sell to, so programs like DW and others were often wiped sometime after their initial airing. In the case of Pertwee, several of his stories had missing episodes or were wiped completely, but were eventually able to be recovered from overseas sources, or the tapes were found in a dusty storage cabinet, things like that. But a lot of the missing stuff that was recovered was from black and white duplicates for overseas markets (mostly former British colonies, and many of which hadn't switched to color broadcasting just yet), and it wasn't until the last decade or two that they were able to successfully recolor the b&w Pertwee stuff.

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Feb 19, 2021

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Gameko posted:

Aha! That makes sense. But is it a story arc I should look up?

Oh absolutely, having done a recent re-watch of Pertwee's first season, I'd say the whole season is worth looking up. :)

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Astroman posted:

If there was an entire season of The Doctor going to weird places in the future and seeing trippy poo poo like in Carnival of Monsters with no high stakes or arcs I would watch it all day.

Seriously, the universe/time itself being in constant peril gets old after a while. One of the best DW stories ever, The Caves of Androzani, had no stakes outside of The Doctor trying to save himself and Peri. The universe wasn't going to end, and nobody was going to travel back in time and rewrite history for their own evil purposes if the Doctor didn't succeed. It was just the Doctor and Peri, accidentally caught up in gun-running, drug smuggling, political machinations, and petty grudges. And it's one of the greatest DW stories ever filmed. Constantly throwing "the universe/time itself could be destroyed" out as a way to try and make the audience really invested in a story is just a lazy writer's crutch, as far as I'm concerned.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Yes Minister is on BritBox IIRC, and it's worth a re-watch just to see how they completely stated the exact reasons why it was necessary for Britain to be a member of the EU, all the way back in the 1980s :v:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

This week's random Doctor Who was The Sea Devils, which had a lot more random bureaucratic nonsense in the first 3 episodes than I remembered, overall much less fun than memory said. Oh well.

Next week's is probably terrible, it's the first story with the second doctor and I'm sure he takes ages to find his feet

Interesting bit of trivia I once read: IIRC, the BBC had a hard time sending royalty checks/back payments/whatever to the actress that played the Royal Navy captain's junior officer/secretary (June Murphy, who was also in Fury From the Deep, another nautical-themed adventure), as apparently when she'd retired from acting, she basically fell off the face of the earth (meaning, she'd never bothered to keep the BBC updated with changes of address, etc).

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Jerusalem posted:

I think Sirens of Time is actually a free download at Big Finish at the moment, funnily enough!

Your post made me go "hmm, I should go download that, since I originally bought it on CD back when it was released, and I dunno where my copy is, so I can have it as a backup just in case. And what's this, there's a sale on Cybermen stories AND all the Monthly Adventures..." and one :homebrew: moment later, I now have a bunch of new BF DW stuff to listen to. :v:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

jivjov posted:

Remember Adam? No, not the brief companion of the 9th doctor who went turbo evil in a comic. The other one. The fake Torchwood member that got his own special introduction sequence.

Well, Big Finish remembers him

I love BF but goddrat do they stripmine the hell out of the DW IP for characters to build new series around.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Rochallor posted:

It's even worse than that, because it's plainly obvious from the way that RTD writes him in that first episode that he doesn't consider that act rape. As sickening as it would be, Torchwood isn't a redemption arc for Burn Gorman, Occasional Rapist. The way you're supposed to read it is "this guy fucks."

I don't remember when I first (and last) watched Torchwood--maybe 2011 or 2012? But it was plainly obvious then that it was wrong. I can only imagine it's even worse now.

Anyways as an RTD palate cleanser, please watch It's a Sin. Achingly sad and liminal and funny and infuriating.

And the really weird thing about it is, RTD wrote him using an alien date rape drug on both a woman AND her boyfriend, as if to say "oh that wacky Owen, what won't he do in the pursuit of hedonistic pleasure" :rolleyes:, while pretty much every sane person who saw that was skeeved out beyond belief. I know he wasn't because he was pretty much the most powerful man in British TV at the time, but he should have absolutely been raked over the coals for that poo poo when it originally aired.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

jivjov posted:

I think it's falling under the same general thought process of, say, the rape committed by the literal title character in Wonder Woman '84. It's getting excused as not technically tape due to magic/technology making it okay.

E: to be clear--it's absolutely rape and it's absolutely gross and bad. I'm presenting the excuse being made, not saying I agree with that line of thought

Oh, for sure. It's one of those things we're supposed to go away thinking "well it wasn't that bad" or ponder how the affected characters reacted when it was over and they realized what had happened.

Now you mention WW84, I'm actually left wondering which is the worst of the two. In TW, you have both a woman and a man being date raped by a main character, with the takeaway supposedly being "ha ha, the angry guy suddenly got turned gay/bisexual for a night". In WW84, you have a guy's body possessed and used without his consent, but really it's OK because he got to have sex with one of the most beautiful lady superheroes in the world, even if it wasn't actually him as a person, just his physical shell occupied by another person. They really are both just absolutely appalling scenarios that the scriptwriters figured would be good for laughs.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Jerusalem posted:

Finally listened to this and God I missed him :hellyeah:

Same here! There are a lot of things I may gripe about in regards to NuWho, but Eccleston as Nine is definitely not one of them. :)

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

BooDooBoo posted:

I always figured that you could fit a LOT of stories into that bit between him leaving and him coming back here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX-R1lfycmw&t=66s, that way you keep the mirror and "new Doctor", but also keep the "TV season is his victory lap".

But I guess not!

I was kind of thinking they might go that route myself, but I'm fine with him having pre-Rose adventures as well. :)

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Davros1 posted:

Oh yeah, he apologized years ago for his behavior towards her on the show. She absolutely adores him now. You should look up DWM #477, where she had penned an open letter to her younger self, and she talks about her relationship with Tom. It's wonderful.

I don't remember the issue but I know I read a DWM many years ago where, discussing how they'd patched things up, Louise said Tom said to her "I wasn't very good to you, was I, my dear? I'm so sorry", or words to that effect. Which for her was like a weight being lifted off her and that allowed her to truly heal. And I heard Tom saying something (either in an interview, or as a behind-the-scenes thing on one of the BF 4th Doctor audios, I forget which) about how he couldn't believe how cold he'd been to Louise back in the day, because she's such a warm and giving person. So yeah, they've definitely worked things out and we're all the richer for it. :)

Davros1 posted:

Sophie Aldred told a story about being booked on some program with Tom in the 90s; they rode in together, sat in the green room together, all in silence. Then when they were on the stage, she (in her own words) "... said something vaguely intelligent." After which Tom became animated, and wouldn't stop talking to her, asking her about her life, her career, offering her advice, etc.

Fast forward something like six months to a year later, she's booked on something with Tom again, and they haven't seen each since that first interaction. She's sure he doesn't even remember her, but when she entered the room, he got up, marched over to her, threw his arms around, and announced to everyone present "I'm thinking of adopting Sophie!"

That reminds me of the story about when Anthony Ainley met Sophie during the filming of "Survival", and he was friendly enough towards her...but when he discovered that she liked cricket (a sport on which Ainley was very keen), he proclaimed her to be one of his best friends and they kept in touch for years afterwards. :unsmith:

Or the story about when Sophie met Christopher Eccleston, shortly after he'd finished his run as Nine; she was strolling along with her daughter, and ran into him somewhere (I think outside the BBC), and he just assumed she was a fan at first and was polite...but when he discovered that she'd played Ace in the original series, he became super friendly and was asking her questions about her time on the show (and she tried to convince him to come along and do conventions and fan cruises, but he declined as it wasn't his thing...though, knowing what we know now, I'm sure it was just difficult for him to come to terms with how his run on the show had gone, and he probably didn't want to be reminded of it too much).

Zaroff posted:

To be honest, given what he's done behind the scenes (such as repeatedly exposing himself), I'm surprised there's never been any major backlash against Barrowman - this kind of thing could have ruined the career of someone else.

What's this about Barrowman? I honestly don't think I've ever run across any of the behind-the-scenes stuff that involved him. Hell, it's only recently that I found out he and Eccleston didn't get along. Which is a pity, as out of all the stuff in NuWho since its' return, I always liked the brief run we got with Nine/Rose/Jack.

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 6, 2021

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Astroman posted:

Yeah I don't recall hearing about Eccleston v Barrowman before either. drat shame if it stops the 8 boxsets of 9/Jack/Rose audios I feel I am personally owed by RTD for teasing us with an awesome combo then yanking it away after a couple episodes.

Then again we can probably add it to the stuff "Big Finish Will Never Get To Do"

Get Tom Baker to reprise his role
Get the rights to the New Series
Recast the OG actors for new stories from the 60s and 70s era
Get Eccleston to reprise his role
YOU ARE HERE
Get Eccleston to work with :argh: BARROWMAN!

I remember reading something where Billie Piper said she wasn't interested in playing Rose again, and the only reason she did the 50th anniversary was because it was a different character that just looked like Rose, so we probably wouldn't get those audios anyways...

...but then, we never thought we'd get any of the other stuff you mentioned, either, so who knows, eh? Who. Knows. (taps side of nose enigmatically)

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Homora Gaykemi posted:

she's already done a set as Rose for Big Finish with Tennant

Well heck, forget I said anything then :v:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

SecretOfSteel posted:

Amelia Pond looks so angry....

That one doppleganger lady must have flirted with Rory again. :v:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
What was it about the De Souza character that made her so bad in the eyes of a lot of goons, anyhow? Honest question, I watched that episode literally once, and I think about 15 minutes in or so I got bored and quit paying attention, letting it play in the background while I did something else. I have no desire to revisit it, and I'm sure the character is as bad as the episode was unremarkable, but I honestly don't remember much about her beyond an obvious Lara Croft ripoff/homage (and that she was played by Michelle Ryan, who I view nowadays as a sort of proto-Emilia Clarke, in that she's a very attractive British woman who kept getting these sorts of high-profile roles despite having limited ability as an actor).

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
I remember the "cat burglar companion" thing starting from the idea for a cold open (after Ace's departure) with it being something like where the new companion would break into some office building (I believe in London), find a giant safe built into a wall, crack it open, and find the Seventh Doctor sitting there waiting for her and going "took you long enough" before the opening theme and titles started.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Mostly they'll be pissed because the earth has been abandoned due to solar flares

They'll get even more pissed when they see the lush overgrown earth, with no noise or pollution from those ape creatures they had so many problems with centuries ago...and then those pesky shits from Nerva just start teleporting down like they own the place :argh:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

OldMemes posted:

He starts his defense by talking about diversity? So he's using every BAME person in the UK film industry he's worked with as a human shield against allegations? That's incredibly scummy. I'm hoping that Nicholas Briggs is severing ties with him, since they worked on a few films together.

It's the same thing Kevin Spacey did when he was revealed to be a sexual predator; when the evidence was overwhelmingly against him, he came out of the closet and used his homosexuality as an excuse/defense in the hopes that the LGBTQ+ community would rally around him as yet another persecuted gay man. Clarke is obviously hoping for the same thing: that people of color will see this as a successful black actor being targeted because he's black, and speak out in support of him. It's an extremely cynical ploy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Class3KillStorm posted:

I'm not sure how to read this. Are you insinuating that Barrowman and/or Clarke were problems on the set of Series 1 and part of the reason that Eccleston stepped away and/or that Eccleston is the one driving these stories?

Eccleston's departure would suddenly make a lot more sense if it turned out he complained about Barrowman and/or Clarke, and got told to mind his own business or it was no big deal or whatever. He doesn't seem like the kind of guy that would put up with their bullshit, either towards himself or someone else.