Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i have kids op

i parent them, in partnership with their mother, my wife

hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

rotor posted:

my sister in law miscarried like 3 times, it was incredibly hard on them both, I am honestly shocked it didn't end their marriage.

we had 8 pregnancies and 2 babies because of
miscarriage. we always wanted 3 kids but after the last miscarry my wife was well and truly done so I went and got the snip

miscarriages SUCK but they are also very common, and while obviously heartbreaking and disappointing don’t try to see them as some kind of failing. my wife beats herself up about it constantly and i feel for her. i’m always trying to console her by telling her that poo poo happens beyond our control and she shouldn’t feel responsible for it. it’s just one of those (lovely) things

git apologist fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 15, 2021

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

actually they are shitlords and nothing matters

have kids dont have kids idgaf just don't be a dick

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

my wife is massively the product of never having done chores growing up

I've had to teach her how to do things like cook, hitch a trailer, check oil, clean an oven, mow a lawn etc

she is annoyed that she has to learn this poo poo too. but we still, after 15 years, still have moments where I can't believe she has never done some random life-thing

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

sorry to hear that broheim. with us it was a blood clotting issue - basically my wife had to take a blood thinner so that the tiny blood vessels that feed the placenta early in the pregnancy didn’t get clogged up. if your partner has any history of that kind of thing it might be worth asking about.

miscarriages suck a lot. in our case my wife took it really, really hard and it all got pretty tense. Try to be patient with each other even if you’re feeling raw

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

I tell my kids about homelessness and poverty and stuff in context

Like my daughter is very sweet natured and will say things like ‘daddy we are lucky to live in our house, especially when it’s raining or we’d get all wet’ and i’ll say for sure, it’s important to be aware of how lucky we are, not everyone has a house or enough to eat etc

i think kids will develop their own view of the world as doomed or not and it’s our role to try to just answer their questions honestly and keep judgement out of it where possible. like if i said ‘peeps are homeless because <the govt/rich jerks/they lazy> ‘ that’s a whole other thing, and something I try to avoid. but i don’t want to sugarcoat the world either.

the other day on the news some peeps in britain were firebombing some cop cars and she was wtfing, so I explained that they were angry at the cops for doing something they didn’t like (it was about some new law that gave police powers to detain non violent protestors). she just said ‘ok’ and went back to playing. being a 6 year old must own

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Corla Plankun posted:

the important thing about swearing is to not panic and react strongly when they repeat it

my wife almost got into an accident a few weeks ago and my 3yo said "OH poo poo" a few times afterwards but since we didn't react to it (aside from quietly lmaoing around the corner from her) she doesn't think it is something she should remember to say more often

this is my approach too and it occasionally leads to hilarity

like when my daughter was 4 i was mildly scolding the dog for something and she said ‘he’s a loving dog isn’t he daddy’. my wife gets pissed at him and says ‘loving dog!!!’ kinda often

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i cut the umbilical cord both times and on child 1 it sprayed everywhere, all over the midwife :waycool:

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

lament.cfg posted:

my wife is 7 weeks pregnant

have to figure out how to raise this kid to not end up a yosposter

get them on a good linux early (debian) and buy them 3 cats and some meat smoking equipment

can't go wrong

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

he's right

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

my understanding as someone who was not raised religious is that for a religio it can be difficult to conceive of a morality that is not based off some rulebook with the threat of eternal damnation as a consequence of loving up

i guess id describe myself as a secular humanist. and the golden rule plus empathy, curiousity, and kindness are enough for me to base a moral philosophy around

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

we have hella community through play centre and school

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

why would you join at 14 wtf

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

told boy not to get up till the sun showed on his groclock, so from 630 till 730 he laid in bed awake yelling STINKY BUTT over and over. we could hear him easily from our room

thanks bud

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

rotor posted:

well its the loving implementation that matters isnt it

yeah didnt you see aaron sorkin movie 'the social network' sheesh

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

rotor posted:

and for the record, there seems to be some New Math chucked in there as well, when it first showed up my 1st grader was bringing home things like

'here's the three apples you have [picture of 3 apples] and here's the two apples your friend has [picture of two apples]. Now draw a circle around all the apples - what is the cardinality of apples in the circle?"

New Math is a loving cancer and common core isn't much better. You do not teach 5 year old children math by starting at set theory and i dont give a gently caress if set theory IS the foundation of mathematics.

it’s 5 rotor, not that hard tbh

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Shaggar posted:

never let math majors have any input on the teaching of math because it will always be the most useless poo poo taught in the worst way possible

same but programmers/programming

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

congrats yosposters, kids are cool and good and lil babbys are so cute :kiddo:

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

kitten emergency posted:

whoever decided that cribs should be assembled with the worlds flimsiest Allen wrench should be trapped in a weird saw situation where they need to escape armed only with a tiny Allen wrench and one of those stamped wrenches made of aluminum

you can use another one, like this great one i have

https://www.parktool.com/product/3-way-hex-wrench-aws-1?category=Hex%20%26%20Torx%C2%AE%20Compatible%20Tools

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the ikea crib benefits from having a hex driver for your drill

you gotta be careful with that tho cos ikea furniture is literally made of cardboard and if you over torque poo poo can get crumbly

i have a cheap bosch electric screwdriver deal with a piss weak motor which is ideal

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

President Beep posted:

not reading that, lol. I’m depressed enough already right now.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

loving MOOD

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

rotor posted:

speaking of pilots in the parenting thread back 10 years or so ago i was flying out of vancouver with my son and he was about 3 or 4 and a pilot stopped by and started talking to him and I said hey and stuff and asked him if he had kids and the dude started crying because he never got to see them because of his job and that really kind of reminded me that no matter what a pain in the rear end the kid was - and he was a huge pain in the rear end - that being his dad was the most important thing to me.

:allears:

but also wtf, that guy was really on the edge if that’s all it took to get him crying

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

rugby in chch sounds like a bad time i gotta be honest

what’s an ordinary kiwi

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i saw the pink floyd experience in chch once about 15 years ago, they were doing dark side of the moon, and at the end they yelled out PRAISE JESUS

when i saw roger waters in melbourne he said ‘george bush your parents must have hosed you up badly when you were very young’

makes you think

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

unleash the dadrock

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

President Beep posted:

also, my 19 month old was playing with these mario kart RC cars we have but instead of mario and luigi the drivers are apparently named “daddy” and “guy”???

do you have a moustache
do you have a boyfriend

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Stringent posted:

my second one was in the nicu for a week and it sucked rear end, but she's been healthy as heck ever since.

the day we took her home from there was probably the happiest of my life to date, so look forward to that. :)

same

my boy came home and all was well. Then the midwives came over (this was in the UK) and said that 'his color was normal for a mixed race boy'...while my very white wife and very white me were standing right there. We said 'hey, we are actually white as gently caress' and they said 'OH poo poo get down to a&e now!!!'. he had very severe jaundice

then they took him in and ran some tests, including a loving lumbar puncture to check his cerebro-spinal fluid, and it turned out to be bacterial meningitis. he was in NICU for a week after that, but was fine and well cared for. I played BOTW on the WiiU all week in the room with him, wifey slept in there with him, and I only went home to sleep (I wasn't allowed to sleep in the hospital).

But it all turned out fine! Care for babies is really good and everyone will be very cautious and caring. You're no doubt in excellent hands.

My boy is a loving nutcase of energy now, that week was the quietest he's ever been and its only cos he hadn't yet learnt to ask 10,000,000 questions an hour

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

When we did our longish stay with my boy I went out to get food for the wife. the hospital food was not great and that scheduling thing you mentioned was a real pain

It was a nice thing for her to look forward to to

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Workaday Wizard posted:

my 1.5yo is doing the dangerous and annoying thing where she throws her head and whole body backwards when she's frustrated. i can't wait until she stops that. tired of being on high alert when she decides to go suicidal.

my 4 year old does this and he has hosed my poo poo up several times

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

my nutcase 5 year old hit our puppy in the head with a stick and it got a concussion and has to be on heavy painkillers and monitored for 24 hours

thanks again bud :waycool:

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

my 5 year old wrote a letter to jacinda ardern today, asking if spider-man is real

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

my daughter is pretty yospos, yesterday she down in tears about how poo poo chromeos and roblox is

‘whoever invented these things is not a nice person. why are there so many problems’

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i did. we agreed she’s getting an ipad for christmas

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

child abuse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

octonauts is the current fave and she's declared herself to be the mechanic one and walks around with tools tucked into her nappy lmao

also we got an "emergency! Emergency!" shout when she'd poured water all over her bed again.

I do wish she'd be consistent about using the drat toilet though.

creature report

creature report