Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Idlewild_ posted:

A philosophical design question. First of all, sorry for the grainy photo, I was genuinely too lazy to take it at a better time of day.

My parents raised me on the strict notion that form follows function. I've definitely rebelled, which is why you can see the edge of an absurd mirror frame in this picture. My question is about light switches and outlets. My parents' philosophy would have left this white switch plate exactly as it is. It performs the function it should, and it's semantically invisible - it "disappears" by virtue of being a common object.

I'm tempted to replace it with something in vintage style/some sort of rubbed brass from house of antique hardware or the like. The dimmer switch can go away, it was never my choice to have that particular fixture dimmable. That gives me some decently early 20th century looking items to choose from.

I'm torn between the impulse that something in a darker finish will be literally less visible against the wall, and the ingrained notion that anything other than plain, functional white electrical fixtures is tacky as gently caress.

Opinions of the crowd?

Ever notice the electrical outlet covers in art museums that are hand painted to perfectly match the grain of the surrounding marble? A gallery serves a different function than a living room, but I don’t think the art museum outlet covers are tacky because they aren’t white.

An ivory outlet cover would be just as functional as the current one, so it seems like a one for one replacement and not a sell out to form over function. I’d say go for it. Go for polished brass if you like tacky 80s design as much as I do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

There are plenty of online tools that you can use to get a feel for the color without posting actual photos of your apartment, which I totally get. https://color.adobe.com/create/color-wheel is one. I remember there were some websites that generated color palette with an algorithm or AI but I can't find them.

Here's your existing palette with some common varieties of olive, tan, dark wood.

Here it is with maroon and ivory

I'd go with ivory. Maroon may be ok too if the maroon + olive combo doesn't remind you too much of Christmas or a WWII era military uniform. I also think gold curtains might look ok but I don't want to vomit up too many color palettes in one post.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

That’s all true about the limitations without actual photos. OP should recognize they’re only getting basic color theory with a little guess work.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

I like the tile on the rear wall way better. White tub on black tile is way more pleasing to my eye.

With the tile on the vanity wall only, the tub and shower are just a sea of white/light grey, which looks unbalanced, sort of institutional and not as inviting.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

UnkleBoB posted:

Went with a white Componibili, and got girlfriend a violet one for the living room.

I love these things so much. I’m tempted to get one of the mirror finish plated silver ones.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

deoju posted:

I've got this weird corner in my apartment and I don't know what the hell to do with it.

I used to have my desk there, but it just ended up being the place where I threw poo poo I didn't know what to do with. That window faces almost due south, and It's how I get most sunlight in the room so I don't want to block it. My place consists of bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, and this room, so it is where I spend most of my time.
Here's a little map I drew up to help me plan things...

Any tips on what the gently caress to do here would be appreaciated.

plant corral

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

I got a new dinette set.

What king of tableware should I get? I need small and large plates and bowls, plug place mats. I have a ton of Vignelli designed Heller melamine pieces -- I love the look, and I think they're absolutely perfect, except I'm trying to move away from plastic.

Suggestions? Bright solid colors and simple forms preferred, no white or black, although I'm open to whatever would look good with this set.

kreeningsons fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Dec 21, 2021

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

actionjackson posted:

whoa that's cool, I'm guessing you are a big postmod person? were you the one that had some kartell stuff like the componibili?

have you looked at chilewich for placemats? they make great stuff, you can get any solid color, and they have some colorful multi ones that would contrast well with that table. The ones I'm thinking of are "color tempo rectangle" in indigo, or "signal rectangle" in twilight

https://www.chilewich.com/store/table/placemats-runners.html

Those are pretty good, maybe a bit muted though. I'm ideally looking for something with a lot of graphical impact. I don't have any Kartell pieces but I'm no stranger to postmodern design

These are wild, I'm not totally sold on them though https://comingsoonnewyork.com/products/placemat-round

My other option is setting up my gf's loom and try my hand at weaving some myself, which could be a whole new HCH thread

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Iittala's Teema when they're doing bright colours (like now there's a nice red, yellow, and blue).

These are perfect!!!

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Justa Dandelion posted:

That arrangement really messes with the flow of the room in a way I can't quite put my finger on. It just feels claustrophobic as soon as you want through the door.

For those who asked for some pictures after we unpacked here you go:

the south side from the kitchen entrance

the problematic north side from the same entrance.

the kitchen entrance viewed from the north side of the kitchen

pantry and bunny zone

the cluster gently caress that is our rolling "kitchen island"

coffee zone

adjacent bar

dining nook in living room, pardon the crumbs and food droppings we had a party last night and haven't finished cleaning up.

Our next steps are to place our task zones in the kitchen, for us I think that would look like: washing/drying (dishes and food), cutting/baking, cooking, sauce station, plating/packaging/quick-serve (for lunches and leftovers). We are fortunate to have a small dining nook, a pantry, as well as a coffee station and bar combo area all of which are outside of the kitchen. Organizing purchases will include: a wall mounted bread box; butcher block top for the rolling wire rack island; wall mounted rollers for parchment paper, aluminum foil, etc...; Magnetic tool block; wall mounted holster for spatulas; over oven pot/pan hanger (perhaps a beefy rolling surround platform that the oven can sit on with deployable counters on the side and extra insulation on the fridge side?). Down the line I would like to add a hood vent at the same time as we add a bathroom fan. I say eventually because the ductwork and exhaust does not exist yet.

Thank you all again for the advice and ideas.

first of all that's a sick vintage bar

secondly, partially informed by my habit of cooking elaborate meals and my tendency to severely injure myself if there isn't enough stable counter space for food prep, if this was my kitchen I would do a few things:

- make the chopping and food prep area as expansive as possible by moving everything except knives/holder off the portion of the counter to the left of the sink. cast iron pans can go on the backing rack and storage canisters can go on the window sill above the sink (if they don't have heat sensitive things in them)
- to free up windowsill space, get a drying rack to go directly to the left of the microwave or in one of the sink basins (maybe a clever folding one)
- consider relocating the microwave on top of the rolling island, which would free up some space for a second food prep area on the right side of the sink (i don't like prepping on anything that isn't rock solid, but if it works for you, then ok)
- might get a rolling rack that is twice as high in place of the rolling kitchen island/backing rack, and one that doesn't jut out the corner like that (otherwise i could see myself running into that and knocking everything over pretty easily)

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

spf3million posted:

We moved from a house with expansive counter space to one with slightly-below-average amounts of counter space and it's killing me. Counter space is at an absolute premium and I'm doing everything I can to get stuff off. An under cabinet paper towel rack and tri-level hanging fruit/vegetable rack/basket thing are the two latest wins.

those are good ideas.

just under 3 feet total of counter top space haver over here. :wave:

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

BadSamaritan posted:

Secretary’s are pretty cool but our space doesn’t allow for much in the way of east-west storage (for lack of a better term). Hurray for retrofitting a wfh space- I’ve got a max of 20” to work with. The current setup has an awful, dying cabinet of IKEA drawers that would be replaced by whatever we put there. We’ve got a lot of reference books used by one of us. I’d like to kill two birds with one stone and have (deep? north-south?) drawer storage with some book and printer storage.

Currently looking at modifying/staining an IKEA BROR shelf and putting a slim file cabinet in the base, but I’d be happier with a more handsome, one piece solution. We have cats and little kids, so any tall, heavy thing has to be attached to itself and the wall.

if it's within your budget you could definitely set something up with modular pieces from USM Haller.

They even have a handy tool on their website for configuring designs. https://us.usm.com/pages/usm-haller-configurator

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Turbinosamente posted:

How do you guys handle displaying collectibles/decorative items in your homes? It's a question that's been bugging me as I've been decluttering my stuff too. I'm slightly afraid of having too many knicknack level things in any future house of mine, or that I'll just be left with a core group of very disparate and jumbled items shoehorned on a shelf somewhere.

I have a small apartment. I display most of my decorative things on a large shelving unit that is also my entertainment center. Not the most flattering pic at this time of night but here's one shelf of out of 10.

I've mostly decluttered the past year so here are a few things I discovered through trial and error that worked for me:
- i don't choose to use up every available inch with items because i want some negative space and emphasis to be directed at the things i do decide to keep on display, which helps me appreciate them.
- i don't place objects in front of other objects. that makes me feel claustrophobic
- i stay mindful of the scale of things. larger items are displayed in areas that are farther away from areas where i spend my time. smaller items are displayed on an nightstand or desk where i tend to be closer to them. i really don't like when tiny items are swallowed up by a large piece of furniture or in the corner of a room.
- having some things in storage and rotating your art/whatever occasionally is ok! that really helped me to find a good balance after a while.

for dedicated collectors there are other ways of taking a more maximalist approach to things, like maybe having a single shelving unit that's dedicated to the collection and cramming it full of everything in that collection, and not trying to spread it out over your entire living space. but anyway the list above is what works for me.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Turbinosamente posted:

Believe me I keep going over all the decluttering tips online repeatedly to stay motivated and have cut out most of my fun spending as having the bigger goal of buying a house in the near future has finally been the thing to motivate me to budget. It's only in the past couple of years that I've come to realize the value of a curated collection, that I do not have time to play all the video games and watch all the movies, and that speculator mentality on collectibles is dangerous and wrong. The crux of the issue is I feel that I am inadequate at decluttering because:

I cannot do this. I can not sell everything cold turkey and start fresh. I've thought about it a ton, sure, but then I've thought about everything I've rebought because I was too hasty in getting rid of it in the first time. I do get rid of things and have gotten serious about it this year but its a steady trickle of stuff leaving the house not the massive hauls of 6+ bags to goodwill. I know you shouldn't compare yourself to others, but it feels wrong when it takes you two years to go from 600 video games to 200 and counting.

I’m always a supporter of having as many or as few possessions as anyone wants. As long as the collection is properly cared for and isn’t a hazard to the owner. If anyone wants to spend their time archiving, maintaining, repairing, photographing, backing up, etc. their collection, then that’s totally cool — as long as they’re not letting their things rot in a damp basement to eventually become landfill. I think there are practical ways to live with large or small collections.

Honestly going from 600 to 200 video games within two years sounds like an accomplishment to me. I’m on year two of paring down a collection of several hundred pieces of vintage clothing, housewares, and furniture. It can take a while if you want decent prices for your things.

If there are things you want to keep and want to sell, it helped me to separate them. I have a dedicated closet that is full of items that will be sold. Everything else that I plan to keep and incorporate into my life somehow is displayed or stored separately.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

a couple of chairs came in around $5K each and sold within hours of listing. DGMW, there was a lot of Ikea.

Kids these days love the vintage Ikea too. If you have the right pieces you could easily get a few grand. https://billy.forsale/

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

KillHour posted:

Where the hell do I buy good, not poo poo furniture outside of hunting antique stores? I need a couch and I don't really want to spend untold hours of searching and weeks of waiting for the right one to come up used. This is for a home theater so I'm less concerned about looks and more concerned about being big, comfortable and not a sectional. The space can accommodate something ~90" long, but that might (read: will) be tough to get up the stairs.

https://www.interiordefine.com/ had some sofas with good specs when I looked into them a few years ago. I will probably be getting my next sofa from them. Not sure if it's utilitarian enough for you but they have some modular ones that might be easier to get up the stairs, and a range of other styles.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

I have two lamps that look like this. How the heck are these supposed to be styled? I'm moving into a place with a 2-story ceiling (sort of like a half vaulted ceiling, idunno what it's called) in the living room with no recessed lighting. Maybe they could be used in that space to cast some light upwards into what otherwise might be sort of dark?

I don't even know what they're called. Uplights? Canister lamps?

https://www.lampsplus.com/products/upland-6-and-one-half-inchh-black-can-plug-in-accent-uplights-set-of-4__274p1.html

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

ZombieCrew posted:

They are just called cans. These are the plug in version of cans used in recessed ceiling lighting. Put them in corners or behind artsy stuff maybe?

Yes good idea. This seems to be the standard application for these, according to this Architectural Digest article that I later found.

https://www.architecturaldigest.com/story/uplights-lighting-revival-interior-design

quote:

I can’t think of the last time anybody mentioned the allure of uplights, which were actually invented in 1949 by Harry Gitlin, a Manhattan lighting designer. Nothing says ’70s to me like warm light mysteriously emerging from behind a table, cabinet, or potted plant.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Idunno if this is the right thread to ask, but what is the industry standard 3D modeling software for interior designers? I want to make a model of my living room and eventually my entire house so that I can mock up furniture placement and renovations, as well as make my own furniture models and apply my own textures.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

BonoMan posted:

There's a CG thread! (although I'm sure this thread will have good advice too)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2877226

Are you looking for just scale/placement or do you always want to be photoreal and rendered nice?

The short answer is, now-a-days, you can do it in any package really. Back in the day I think it was a lot of 3DSMax and V-Ray. Which it still probably is due to sheer momentum.

But you can just as easily do it in Blender, C4D (which is what I use, plus Octane renderer), Maya, whatever.

How much 3D experience do you have?

Oh nice, I’ll be sure to post there!

I have an ok amount of modeling and assembly experience. I had a couple courses in college that had a large solidworks component and I’ve had to construct models a handful of times in my professional life (mostly tooling or simple assemblies). I also made a sketchup model of a retail space a couple years ago. Things I’ve never done are texturing, rendering, lighting, working with complex contours (splines?), or using sculpting brushes.

I’m wondering if Solidworks might be ok since I have access to a license through work? Or whether it would be worth seeking out a copy of Sketchup on my own. This will be mostly used for layout and placement but still, a nice render with lighting would be dope.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

net work error posted:

I'm looking for some home decor items and wanted to look somewhere besides the typical Target, Pottery Barn, etc kinds of places. I was looking at Etsy but didn't quite find what I was looking for. Are there any other home decor sites that are recommended to browse through?

For some context, I'm looking for a "stuff" bowl to hold cables and remotes in the living room that looks kind of nice but isn't made of glass and probably not wood either. A lot of the stuff I found on Etsy was made out of concrete because I guess that's easy but ideally this wouldn't be too heavy. Color wise it would be white/gray/light colors if that helps at all.

Style wise it would be simple but kind of modern and not too large, maybe 8-10 inches in diameter.

e: I forgot the most important part of the question which was that it I'm not looking to spend too much. Maybe like $80-$100 max? I know that's not a very large budget for some home decor.

I usually call these catchall bowls.

This doesn’t match many of your requirements but I recently got this tray set for similar storage functions (cables, remote, headphones, etc) and I like it a lot. https://www.areaware.com/products/scape-trays

I’m kind of averse to using bowls for storage like this because I abhor having to dig around in a bowl for something that I use often.

kreeningsons fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 17, 2023

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Can I get some help with shoe storage? I always thought it looks trashy to keep a bunch of shoes by the door so I never did. But now I have no mud room or coat closet and need to keep 3-4 pairs of shoes by the front door.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I don't think it's a good idea to keep shoes in a closed container.

I keep my dress shoes in a box with cedar shoe trees and I figure that absorbs enough moisture to not cause a problem. Agreed that there are obvious limits to keeping shoes in a closed container, though.

I really like the idea of that slim pull out shoe unit from wayfair but yeah I definitely want to keep the quality of my furniture above that of wayfair.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

The Dave posted:

For a lot of these units the Amazon reviews mention that they don't hold shoe sizes past men's 9, so be very aware of the size going into it. Also probably want enough clearance somewhere to put wet shoes/boots before putting it in the unit.

Very close to building my own cabinet.

Lol I noticed that the product photo of the wayfair one only had kitten heels and flats inside the unit, probably because it exaggerates how large it is. I really don’t need another project but I’m thinking of making one DIY too.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

BonoMan posted:

We use a variant of this to still-not-keep-our-shoes-in-even-though-we-did-for-about-a-mont-now-it-just-holds-mail-and-shoes-are-piled-in-front-turns-out-you-cant-undo-bad-habits-with-furniture!

Maybe if I buy this $800 wall unit I will feel too guilty to not use it though? Although $800 for 12mm MDF is a lot…

https://www.danishdesignstore.com/products/peter-j-lassen-hide-shoe-cabinet-with-flip-drawer-montana-mobler

I didn’t even know nice furniture companies made these, I thought they were exclusively the territory of like, overstock.com. This seems like a good one to try my hand at making DIY.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Does anyone have experience with importing furniture/lamps to the US? I really want the biggest and baddest Martinelli Luce Pipistrello lamp. The price at the euro retailer below is $1600+$400 shipping which doesn’t seem bad, but considering this sells at US retailers for $4000, I’m wondering if I’m missing some part of the price equation. I don’t know what import duties will be like. And I don’t know what kind of step up transformer I’ll need.

https://royaldesign.com/us/pipistrello-large-table-lamp

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

If US customs doesn't have a calculator on their website where you punch in
a) what you're importing (chosen from a list)
b) where from
c) at what cost
and it just gives you a number, then I'm not surprised but slightly disappointed.

Not that I can find. Maybe I’m not searching for the right thing, but the federal code for determining duties seems extremely complicated. I guess I will just try to message the retailer and see if they have an estimate of what to expect.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

cheese eats mouse posted:

You do a grace of $750 limit free of import taxes

Thank you but what does this mean? I have to pay $750 regardless?

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Thanks for the help, all. I have some more research to do before I pull the trigger.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm looking to replace the plastic storage in my bedroom with something nicer. I know the Ikea Kallax in white is overdone but it's functional and affordable with a clean aesthetic. There are 3 potential layouts.

Option 1: one short square + one tall single width. I moved my storage to represent how much space this Kallax setup would take though they'll be about 10" taller. There'd be a surface for my cats to hang out on and look out the window plus some place to put a humidifer in winter and fan in summer.

Option 2: one tall double width, again with representative space. Pros: This would reduce visual clutter by flowing with my bed but leaves a weird space in front of the window.

Option 3: one tall double width placed horizontally under the window. It would basically span the distance from my desk to the back wall and be 1" taller, so there would be a continuous horizontal surface across that entire wall. I'm leaning in this direction since it feels like the best of both worlds--horizontal surface near the window + reducing visual clutter, plus there'd be space for a plant.

Thoughts? I'm also option to non-Kallax options. I plan to get wall art at some point but it's really hard to find something that speaks to me, especially since the bed isn't centered on the back wall.

I'd go with option 3 because I think option 1 would look strangely asymmetrical and option 2 might be the most cluttered look. Though I might bump the desk over a little bit away from the shelf, if possible.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I’m looking for examples of nuanced interpretations of the men’s lounge aesthetic. Basically a contemporary interpretation of the old school men’s lounge which had stuff like dark colors, moody ambient lighting, leather chesterfields, wood, etc.

So far everything I’ve found seems to fall into one of two categories:
  • hyper-on-point with the lounge aesthetic to the point that it looks like a movie set, OR
  • the aesthetic is so updated that it effectively just becomes MCM/loft chic but with a darker color palette.

Anybody seen cool designs that might fit what I’m looking for? Or brands / content creators I should look at? “Organic modern” is the search phrase that at least gets me in the ball park of relevance to what I’m looking for.

the ikea 1985 catalog cover which is like a dark 80s minimalist industrial. not sure if this is too close to your interpretation of "MCM/loft chic" though.

i was at ligne roset over the weekend and they had an interesting modern sofa which (to me) looks like their interpretation of a chesterfield

https://www.ligne-roset.com/us/modele/living/sofas/cover/2447

again, i'm not sure if it's too old fashioned for you for you, but many MCM design classics have been reinterpreted into updated masculine lounge spaces, especially bauhaus pieces and especially Le Corbusier's LC2/LC3 chair/sofa in leather.

combine it with some old rear end art which can be had for pennies at auctions to reference an old world aesthetic. other than that, i would look at substantial pieces in materials like like burl wood and marble, shag carpeting, and italian lighting (martinelli luce, artemide, flos, etc., who carry many design classics that have been in production for 50 years, or other contemporary pieces).

this isn't my favorite interior for the le corbusier sofa but here you go:

kreeningsons fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Mar 26, 2023

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

actionjackson posted:

that thing is dope as hell, but if you want to save money you can just store your shoes in a closet in one of those shoe holders that has a hanger on top

I have no coat closet 💀 and we need everyday shoe storage somewhere closer than the bedroom. A separate wall mounted cabinet ended up making things look cluttered, so the current plan is to build one of those foldout shoe drawers into a custom made console like this. Wish me luck. I’m just happy I averted my fiancé from buying one of those cheap and ugly shoe shelves from Open Spaces.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

actionjackson posted:

where do you store your coats? if it's just a freestanding system, you could have a shoe rack on the bottom of it

I have this freestanding coat rack, not really enough room under this style one for a separate shelf. The long term plan for coats is to wall mount a bunch of vitra coat dots, and it’s not really an option to put a shelf underneath them because we have some long coats that will almost sweep the floor. I guess i could get a big bureau or hall tree but I felt like those would take up too much precious real estate in this small space.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

I'm once again asking for sofa recommendations.

This weekend I got a quote for $8,500 for a three seater sofa ottoman from Ligne Roset, including tax and delivery. On top of that, the lead time is 12 months for practically any option. I could pay that much ... but paying more than half of that for a sofa might impact my ability to afford other furniture I want. I tried out Hay sofas at DWR and they were really uncomfortable, and the price on pretty much everything there was not much cheaper. Figuring that American makers might be less expensive, I checked out Herman Miller and Knoll but they are just as pricey. I'm wholly against buying a knockoff but I looked just for kicks, and even a knockoff Bellini is something like $4500.

The reddit approved American furniture maker for getting an expensive look for less money is Lee Industries, but their sofas are really boring looking. Interior Define is even cheaper than Lee, but I really want a more unique and inventive design and that seems to be lacking from this sector of the market. Occasionally I see high end studios collaborating with mall companies like West Elm/Crate & Barrel, is this the only place to buy more unique furniture for something that doesn't approach five figures? Where is the middle ground these days?

As an aside, while scrolling pages of sofas in despair I discovered Irish furniture maker Orior and their poo poo is so cool. Very expensive but relatively unknown compared to the likes of Ligne Roset/HM/etc.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

GoreJess posted:

Assuming you’re looking for more modern styles, do you have a Natuzzi store or dealer near you?

Full disclosure, I work in merchandising for the American team. But we have two brands that both have some unique styles. We aren’t as widespread in the US, so I rarely see our name come up as options for upholstery.

Italia is all made in Italy & has some very unique styles. We do stock our best sellers in one or two covers in the states, so if one of those options work for you, you could have a sofa in a few weeks.

The Editions brand is mostly made in Asia & is a little less European, but super comfortable.

Cool stuff. I’m definitely into the Colle, Apulo, Buddie, Seagull, and Longbeach in the Italia collection. Not seeing much for me in the Editions collection.

The Lee Industries sofas do look well made, but the shapes are too traditional for me (with one exception, the one arm sofa). Their textile game looks strong — I guess it’s always possible to spruce up a traditional shape with a non traditional fabric — but that’s not really my game.

The Ligne Roset sofa I wanted was the Plumy because it looks extremely comfy, the seat can flip out onto an ottoman as a chaise which I can put away due to the space limitations in my living room, the cover is washable and removable (very costly to replace the cover but still nice to have the option), and I just love the era in which it was designed and the overall casual look.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Hungry Squirrel posted:

Why is there so much hate for accordion doors?

I'm in the process of buying a house, and (among others) the door to the furnace / water heater closet has bifold doors. Because of where it is, even bifolds take up too much space when open. There's no room for either a pocket door or barn door, and I feel like it's unsafe to have the utilities close to a curtain. I really don't want them just exposed, though.

I honestly really like accordion doors, and I think they're the right answer here, but if the whole Internet hates them then there must be a reason.

I think most people (myself included) associate accordion doors with late 20th century interiors like this:

Not that there's anything really wrong with that room -- and the door looks decently constructed. It's just extremely out of style.

They also tend to be so cheap that they're always falling off the tracks, the panels crack easily, the plastic yellows over time etc. But I'm sure there are more premium or stylish options out there that people wouldn't bat an eyelash at.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

My apartment has a small dining room, a square space roughly 7.5’ x 7.5’ in size. Almost more of a nook. The kitchen has an eating counter that sits at least two, but I want to fill the dining space with a table as well. Apparently you need at least 3’ of clearance on all sides, so I can only get a 1.5’ x 1.5’ table :gonk:

What other options do I have? How would you fill a 7.5’ x 7.5’ dining room(/nook)? I don’t have company often, so no heavy use, but it’d be nice to eat there instead of the counter or maybe set up a board game or hobby space or something.

That’s plenty of room for a standard size restaurant booth. Hell, go nuts and buy an old diner booth off Facebook. You have barely enough room to build a high roller style full radius half circle booth, which would be my recommendation. Check it out: https://www.webstaurantstore.com/guide/781/how-to-choose-restaurant-booths-for-your-dining-room.html

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

smoobles posted:

Any goons proud of their home office setups? I could use visual inspiration.

I have about 12 x 20 feet to work with, thinking large desk but also a chill sitting area with a TV.

No pics of the actual space because I’m still setting it up after moving but I have one of these and it’s pretty great. It’s sort of like American made danish inspired furniture. I’m really trying to acquire a fourth bay so that it takes up the entire length of my wall.

https://midcenturywarehouse.com/kopenhavn-mid-century-wall-unit/

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

actionjackson posted:

Finally got a pendant for my table. Next step is definitely a dimmer switch for the bulb

Sick lamp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Pondering the great mysteries of the universe in my princely cabinet