Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I'm looking to replace the plastic storage in my bedroom with something nicer. I know the Ikea Kallax in white is overdone but it's functional and affordable with a clean aesthetic. There are 3 potential layouts.

Option 1: one short square + one tall single width. I moved my storage to represent how much space this Kallax setup would take though they'll be about 10" taller. There'd be a surface for my cats to hang out on and look out the window plus some place to put a humidifer in winter and fan in summer.

Option 2: one tall double width, again with representative space. Pros: This would reduce visual clutter by flowing with my bed but leaves a weird space in front of the window.

Option 3: one tall double width placed horizontally under the window. It would basically span the distance from my desk to the back wall and be 1" taller, so there would be a continuous horizontal surface across that entire wall. I'm leaning in this direction since it feels like the best of both worlds--horizontal surface near the window + reducing visual clutter, plus there'd be space for a plant.

Thoughts? I'm also option to non-Kallax options. I plan to get wall art at some point but it's really hard to find something that speaks to me, especially since the bed isn't centered on the back wall.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Mar 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

About the pull the trigger on a dining table and chairs. I definitely want a tulip table and DSW chairs since my common area is MCM. I have 2 questions:

1) Should I get a white or marble top? This seems to be the cheapest 36-40" with a 1-piece base. I'm indifferent toward white vs marble top, but it seems the canonical Saarinen has a marble top. I could be mistaken though?

https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdp/orren-ellis-sengul-pedestal-dining-table-w002980025.html

2) Should I get non-padded chairs with dowel legs or padded chairs with plank legs? I'm afraid the rods on the dowel legs will make 4 of them look busy. Also they're black while my nearby living room accent chair's dowel legs has grey rods.

There's a tradeoff because the dowel legs only come with non-padded seats and the plank legs only come with padded seats. I know the pads will accumulate dust/cat hair in the crevices, but I'm okay with cleaning that and also it could be comfy on the rare occasion I have guests?

https://www.amazon.com/Furmax-Assembled-Century-Plastic-Kitchen/dp/B075DCHX5G/

https://www.target.com/p/costway-set-of-4-dining-chair-mid-century-modern-shell-pu-seat-w-wood-leg-white/-/A-82862297

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Mar 26, 2023

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

If it's actual marble rather than a marbleized surface, it is a pain in the butt to keep clean, and it stains. Other than that, do you have a chance to sit in the chairs? A dining room chair needs to be comfortable, because you're generally sitting in it for at least half an hour.
The top is faux marble so no concerns about maitenance. I guess the question about marble vs white top is purely aesthetics.

As for the chairs, no, I don't think any stores around me have them to try. Target says I can return the padded ones to a store and obviously I can return the non-padded ones from Amazon though that'll be a pain.

I agree that sitting comfort is essential. This is my living room accent chair and while it's okay, you definitely adjust yourself if you sit for more than a few minutes. Maybe that means I should go for padded.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Why white, tho? e: Ah, they've discontinued the wood-coloured one because OF COURSE. Now if I need more I need to go to Facebook Marketplace or whatever. Great.
I've settled on a 2x2 short square Kallax under the window with a large money tree in the corner. It's available in white stained oak effect which would match my bed and nightstands, but since it will be visually separated by the money tree and next to my white top desk, I think it makes sense to go with white.

BigFactory posted:

I wouldn’t buy chairs from target I couldn’t see in person. Unless you look at them as purely disposable
They won't get much use day to day, only when I have guests over which is rare. So I guess that's disposable?

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Mar 26, 2023

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The tulip table I linked was $380 when I looked at it a month ago, then it went to $440 and now it's $450. I don't know if it's gonna drop under $400 again :negative:

Freaquency posted:

If you want to have repeat guests I would suggest making sure that they have comfortable seating.
Fair point. I guess the least worst option is to get the ones from Target and if they're uncomforable to return them. Not sure I can try out anything similar that isn't an actual Eames DSW from DWR.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Oh, in that case I definitely choose simplicity, but that's me and not you. If you don't have dinner guests, why are you putting your decoration money into dining-room chairs anyway? Splash out on a nice rug instead.
Okay so your vote is for a white top for the tulip table? As for why I'm even doing it, I feel that as a 37 yo, I should probably have a dining table; I currently don't have one since I eat at either my desk or on the coffee table.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

BigFactory posted:

Also, all that furniture is ugly and looks cheap, in my very humble opinion.
I can see where you're coming from for the DSW chairs, but the Wayfair tulip table seems pretty normal to me?

And does ugly include my accent chair? The render may look off but I think it looks p nice in person? I did it get during the height of lockdown in summer 2020 so maybe I'm completely wrong?

Freaquency posted:

Honestly your goal at the moment should be getting functional pieces that will actually be used instead of aping a design that you think looks good with cheap lookalikes. If you spend 600 dollars on a dining set but no one wants to use it because it’s uncomfortable and falling apart then you’re just wasting half a K.

I know IKEA isn’t exactly sexy, but you can get a Docksta tulip table and two Odger dining chairs for about 500 bucks. They’re similar in design to the things you’re looking at while not trying to be those things, and crucially you can actually touch and sit in them before buying. Also, if you take decent care of them you can sell them off to someone else if/when you decide to move on to something better. The Costway stuff will just wind up in a landfill.
I actually started out the tulip table search with the Ikea Docksta. I didn't love it because of the visible seams where the stem attaches to the top and base and figured $100 (at the time) was worth the Wayfair option. But now that it's $170 more, the Docksta is more compelling.

I had looked at the Odger but I worry about comfort given the lack of padding. I do love this silhouette though.

I'd be open to the Karlpetter too.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 26, 2023

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Freaquency posted:

I know IKEA isn’t exactly sexy, but you can get a Docksta tulip table and two Odger dining chairs for about 500 bucks. They’re similar in design to the things you’re looking at while not trying to be those things, and crucially you can actually touch and sit in them before buying. Also, if you take decent care of them you can sell them off to someone else if/when you decide to move on to something better. The Costway stuff will just wind up in a landfill.
Okay, I've convinced myself that white Docksta + navy Odger is the best option for stuff I'll rarely use but needs to work when I do and also look good.

Would it look weird to only have 2 chairs at a 40" table? Yes, this whole exercise is for when I bring over a date, and I do have more chairs for the one time a year I might have more people over, but I do worry it will look mismatched. I certainly don't mind not spending another $250 on a 2nd pair of chairs though.

I'm planning to pick them up next weekend.

BigFactory posted:

I think that chair is medium ugly.
Fair enough.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 26, 2023

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

So, it turns out the Docksta stem uses a plastic sheath to achieve the shape. I really think that's gonna bother me in the long run.

Meanwhile, this thing has a single piece base and really good reviews. Yes it's $600 for the 40" but I think I'm gonna be happier with it in the long run. It does have a glossy top which I'm concerned could show fingerprints or cats scratches but it's probably not a big deal.

https://www.amazon.com/Modway-Mid-Century-Modern-Kitchen-Pedestal/dp/B00K6AA2V6

40" looks like the perfect size for either 2 or 4:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Thoughts on curtain tracks vs rod? I'm getting new sheer white curtains for the sliding glass door to my balcony and the panels are giant (100"W x 108"L). I have a bulkhead that drops a foot or two below the ceiling in front of the door so that would obscure either a rod or track. (I know, the popcorn ceiling is unfortunate)

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 29, 2023

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

peanut posted:

If it's covered by a thingy then cheapo extendable (adjustable) curtain rail is enough.
By rail do you mean a traditional rod or traverse rod aka track?

Ikea has a cheap rod that claims to handle a 22lb load so I wouldn’t need a support bracket in the middle, just the usual ones on the end. That’s only $13 for everything: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/hugad-curtain-rod-white-30217140/

They also have the cheapest track I’ve seen, but it’s only 55” long so I would need 2 of them for $50. Given that neither fixture will be visible, I’m tempted to go with this solution since the curtains will be much easier to completely open as opposed to the top part still grabbing (see below): https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/vidga-single-track-set-white-s49428232/

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Mar 29, 2023

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

edit

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Apr 12, 2023

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sirotan posted:

Yeah, Samsung makes one: https://www.samsung.com/us/tvs/the-frame/highlights/

A bit expensive compared to a regular TV but might be less of a hassle compared to engineering a custom solution. You can* also mount these inset in the wall a bit to get a more custom look.

*depending on your wall construction
I think the real magic is the incredibly matte screen, but that also hurts color saturation. My 65" QLED has a picture mode where I do display art but it doesn't look nearly as nice as the online photos of art on the Samsung Frame.

nielsm posted:

Have an artwork you like printed on canvas, then mount it as a drape above the TV with a cord to lift/lower it.
I like this idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

actionjackson posted:

the table is here oh god it's beautiful thread

Tulip tables are goat af. My 41” replica is my favorite piece of furniture.