Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Hi. Stardew thread sent me here...

I started playing Rune Factory 4 awhile ago, but put it down because I got lost. With the release of RF5, I thought I would take a peek and see where I left off.

Turns out the answer is, deep in a volcano dungeon at around sunset, getting swarmed by aggressive enemies that knocked me around until I fainted and wound up back at the hospital in town minus most of my money.

Well. That's fun. I have no idea where I was going or what I was doing. I had two spells equipped: a water jet thing and a small fireball that of course did no damage against most of the enemies in a volcano. I also had a set of twin swords or daggers that seemed to do a decent job.

I just don't think I can get any further at the moment, and I'm tempted to just start over. :( Any general advice on how to avoid getting into such a situation in the future, or how to get out of the one I'm in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Ah, ok, so it's more like Stardew where nothing is really permanently missable and I should just chill.

That is really helpful to know. Maybe I'll just bail on the dungeon and try to remember how to tame monsters. That fairy thing sounds really helpful.

Thanks, all. I was feeling frustrated, but it sounds like I'm not as boned as I thought I was. :) I will be back if I have more stupid questions.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I picked up more Anime Farm 4 last night after I got home from work. Just some nice "grab my 3DS out of the drawer and lounge on the couch" cozy kind of gaming.

I've been running around like an idiot trying to remember where everything was. I dimly remembered the weird looking chef sells breads that teach recipes, but the guy wasn't manning the restaurant for multple days and I have no idea why.

I tamed a fairy! There wasn't enough space to name it "Tinkerhell" which was disappointing, so I went with "Tink."

And Dylas like me enough to party up with me and help me kill things! That was nice. I just had the Firefly Festival, which was kind of weird. The butler guy said I needed to ask someone to attend it with me ahead of time, so I added Dylas to my party and waited for nightfall... and yeah there were fireflies floating around but nothing in particular happened. I have a feeling I missed something important... Oh well.

I had to Google how to give him equipment. It was more straightforward than I thought it was. I think I have figured out what my main problem as with that volcano dungeon. I'm level 40 so... I shouldn't be underlevelled for it. Haven't checked what the suggested level for the place is. (Just checked; recommended level is 30 so I am definitely not.) I think the problem is my gear. My crafting is only like... lv 9 and I can barely make anything. My plan is to buy out Porcine's blacksmithing breads every day and craft as much stuff as I can, to get better stuff. And keep feeding Tink the fairy dust.

Question while I'm here! My lovely helpful farmhand monsters are "tired". They have black scribble thought bubbles over their heads. I tried taking some of them off crop tending duties to give them some relief, but the first set is still tired. :( Am I mistreating my farm hands? How do I help them?

Silver Falcon fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Mar 31, 2022

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Dirk the Average posted:

For the first bit - you can get town events happening where a character is participating in some random thing around town. Once you finish that event, they'll go back to normal. I think Dylas will sell you bread if you bring him to the restaurant though? Pretty sure he works at the bread shop.

Also, I think you have access to silver at this point? If you do, it's worth making better farming tools. There's a recipe for each increase in ore level (iron -> bronze -> silver -> etc.), and it makes farming much simpler.

I have some silver ore but I don't have crafting recipes to make better farming tools. I have the best ones I can have at this point. Which bread/skill/whatever do I need to increase to be able to make better tools? Actually while I'm at it, which kind of bread gives you more armor recipes, specifically? The game isn't terribly clear on which recipes I can get from which bread.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I am not sure where but I picked up a sword that's a giant carrot.

.... I am totally giving this to Dylas.

Dirk the Average posted:

Fishing Poles require Forging and Fishing (usually fishing is lagging behind)

You say this but I do A LOT of fishing, so i can make sashimi to give Dylas. :v:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Kyte posted:

If you fish up a tuna save it and check the long sword recipes.

Ooh. I am intrigued.

MotU posted:

I didn't know the rest but I knew that about Cooking, should have at least put that whoops~

I think I have these figured out. It's Accessory Bread that teaches you armor recipes. I understand the game is trying to keep things kind of cute and simple, but I wish it would be A BIT more up front with what does what. Thanks to some Accessory Bread, I now know how to make Chain Mail and Scale Mail! That should help.

I still am piddling around with iron tools though. I think it must be my gathering skill that's lagging behind. What's a good way to get that up? Just run around with my fairy, Tinkerhell, and pick stuff up while she kills things for me?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Dirk the Average posted:

As mentioned, eat farming bread to learn new tool recipes. If you can't learn new tool recipes, then you need to upgrade your forging skill (the skill levels for tools are are 5, 15, 30, 45, 80). You almost certainly have the farming/mining/logging/whatever to at least get bronze tools by now.

The only real "gathering" skill is Mining (yes, searching exists, but...). That'll help you get better ores in larger quantities. Smack rocks with a hammer. Make a better hammer. Smack better rocks with a hammer. Gems also sell for a decent amount too, so that can be a nice way to supplement income since gem/ore nodes respawn daily.

Also remember that you need a LOT of wood/stone to upgrade your fields/barns/etc. It's definitely worth finding out where stumps and rocks spawn every day and dedicating an in-game hour or three to chopping wood and mining stone.

Once you do get tools that are better than iron (the cheap tools), you can charge them up to do things like water in a larger area. The sickle also has a really neat property - if you chop a fully grown crop, it'll spit out a higher level seed. This is capped by the quality of the sickle though, so you need the best sickle in the game to get a level 10 seed, and correspondingly worse sickles have lower maximum levels of seeds. If you sell a crop or a seed that is a higher level, the store will actually start selling you seeds at that level, so you can eventually be growing every crop at level 10.

I don't think I've ever found a gem...

Also if iron tools are the "cheap" ones then I have the one above that. Whichever material that is. I thought iron would be better than bronze, silly me.

So go hit rocks. Where can I find these gem rocks?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I TAMED A GIANT CHICKEN!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Dirk the Average posted:

Nice! As a heads up, you can technically tame most of the bosses too! And yes, that means you can bring the horse man and the horse with you to a dungeon.

Unlike normal enemies though, you need something specific to tame a boss. Usually that's a giant crop or a high-end cooking recipe.

:stare: Well hello new goal.

I only JUST managed to fail upwards towards a lv 5 turnip for Doug's stupid quest. I picked turnip because the seeds are cheep and I could mass produce pickled turnips out of them to get cooking levels. I just started Autumn. Just need to wait for that thing to grow in and ship it and I'll be able to do more quests.

I still haven't managed to upgrade my tools past bronze. :( I'm at lv 30 farming, 20 logging, 28 mining, 21 fishing, and this stupid Farming Bread won't give up the goods still. :argh:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

FrickenMoron posted:

What is your forging level? Thats the limit here as well.

Also taming the boss horse requires king carrots, so you need to plant carrots and buy giantizers to make them gigantic. (a batch of 4 combines into a giant one)

Mother FUCKER is that what's been holding me back this whole time?!

I'm guessing that's too low.

I just planted a bunch of carrots, so I'll have to look into how to make them giant so I can tame a horse.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I finally got enough numbers to upgrade my farming tools! I feel much less sucky now.

Stupid question of the day time:

A few of my monster farm hands like me enough to help with planting. How do I... actually do that? I tried giving the cow a few turnip seeds but I think the game just gave them to it as gifts, rather than "Hey, go plant these."

Thanks for the tips on forging cheapass swords/shields and then upgrading them. Trying to figure that out made me uh... realize I hadn't ever upgraded a thing the entire game.... I upgraded my armor and weapon and went and gave that stupid lava dungeon (that caused me to put the game down for several YEARS) what for! Then the next dungeon was no problem!

I feel like I'm actually not sucking at the game, for once!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I had a typhoon blow in yesterday and destroy half of my crop fields. :( I was warned about it ahead of time, but the item that guards against it was super expensive and only covers like... a 6th of the field at a time, and I have 3 fields.

I have a crafting recipe to make the stuff, but wasn't warned of the typhoon in nearly enough time to grow the ingredients for the stuff. :(

How long does it even last? I'm growing ingredients for the anti-typhoon stuff now cuz it also protects against winter storms, but I couldn't find any information on how long it protects your fields for. I need... a lot of it.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Does upgrading tools give them a wider effective radius? :confused: I thought it just made them stronger when smacking things with them. Asking for RF4 specifically.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

RF4: I have access to the gold-tier farm tools now, way earlier than I got the silver-grade ones, but now I have a problem I never expected to have. My maximum RP is not high enough to forge them!

I am around level 80, but I'm quickly learning that level means basically dick-all in this game and it is heavily scaled by equipment, so I don't know how much difference that makes. Anything I should focus on to get my RP maximum up? I've been visiting the bath every day, and also eating, getting to bed before midnight, etc.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Jesus you people weren't kidding. I mashed a few short swords with scrap metal and got two measly forging levels and that knocked the RP requirement for the new tools from 1300 down to 900. :psyduck: Forging level is now 39.

Duly. noted.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I finally got some Royal Carrots and made an attempt at taming the horse boss. I brushed him a bunch and then tried feeding them the carrots, but they all failed. I got three of them. Is that RNG or is three not enough? Do I need to reset until successful or grow more Royal Carrots?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Rynoto posted:

It's rng. You can also try using a few hits with a love weapon alongside the brushing.

I gave the horse a couple whacks with a Sweet Potato staff before giving it the carrot and suddenly it changed its tune. So now I have a pet lightning horse and I even had a Royal Carrot left over to give Dylas.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

DACK FAYDEN posted:

They do not poof, the only difference is that crops will grow more slowly in bad seasons for them and faster in good seasons (it's in the crop description)

It took me awhile to figure out my crops would not just insta-die between seasons. It's... honestly really nice? Cuz lately I've been getting quests from Eliza to grow out of season crops, and it would honestly be really annoying to be unable to complete those until the season changed over! Especially considering those quests are directly tied to being able to buy better stuff at the shops.

... Speaking of that, I saw a quest from her that I have not the faintest, foggiest clue how to do. Something about growing a freaking dungeon in my crop field like it's a turnip?! What? Literally what? It doesn't tell me at all HOW I do such a thing, just that I can do it.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

FrickenMoron posted:

There's a place in the autumn road where you can get dungeon seeds. They grow into a randomized dungeon.

:psyduck: Well I have another quest to go kill things in the Hill dungeon that's near there, so I guess I'll grab my horse husbands and go do that. I just gave Dylas a fully upgraded Veggieblade to use and some better armor.

Mokinokaro posted:

Field dungeons are in 5? I swore those were cut?

Edit forgot Silver is playing 4.

Yeah sorry usually I remember to specify that I'm on RF4 but I forgot this time.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I am annoyed at my current dungeon in RF4 Floating Empire. I lowered 2 of the three barrier things by exploring all the rooms, but the last wing of the dungeon is one of those "You get warped all over the goddamn place and better hope you have a good sense of direction, lol!" Yeah well guess what? I DON'T! :argh: I hate this kind of poo poo. I warp around until I'm thoroughly lost and then I get to a room with three different colored pillars, gray switches in the floor, and a colored switch in the top left corner. Obviously I need to hit the switch, but I don't know how to get to it. Stepping on a gray switch lowers one of the colored pillars, but it needs to be weighed down. I can grab a box from the next room and weigh down one of the switches, but there are three of them in that room, and they all need to be weighed down at once. I bring my monster friends with me, and they can weigh the switch down, but there doesn't seem to be a command to tell them to "Stay" like a dog.

What do I dooooooooooooooo?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Take an item out of your inventory, then put it down on the switch. Literally any item, stack of 1 ok.

(also, I don't remember if you have to throw an item over an impasse to land on a switch at some point in the dungeon, but be aware you can do that too.)

:doh: Can't believe I never thought to try that. Thanks! You got me unstuck.

... And then the boss of the place just wiped the floor with me. I'm level 120 or so and I thought my gear was up to date, but he does this AoE attack that's just like "Hi HP, bye HP!"

Using the shield magic didn't help... So how am I supposed to deal with that? I figure there has to be something I'm supposed to do, because I am just getting insta-melted.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Wait what? The level of the material make a difference when upgrading? Well son of a BITCH I didn't know that! Yeah I have level 10 turnip seeds thanks to the Eliza quests.

Also my forging level is around 50, and my crafting is... mid-40s or so. If I'm so close to being able to make better tools I'll just go nab some turnip seeds and get to it.

I'm playing on normal difficulty. Oh! Also, since I was getting so thoroughly wrecked, I did real quick look up a guide for that boss just in case there was something obvious I'm missing and yeah. There was. That AoE that kept murdering me? It's an insta-party kill. You're not meant to tank it. When he starts charging it up you have go to the edges of the arena to avoid it. Once I started doing THAT he was cake, so it wasn't my gear that was the problem.

I will go make some better stuff now, though! Onto Arc 3????

Silver Falcon fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Apr 18, 2022

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Yeah! That was it. What made me think that there was something I was doing wrong, was it wasn't just wrecking me, it was also insta-wrecking my pets. I had Thunderbolt and a green fairy with me, and they usually tank things pretty well.

Getting close enough to smack him wasn't a problem cuz I've been using magic for ages. I have this sweet wind spell and this also pretty sweet dark spell. The magic staves don't seem to do as well as the magic attacks themselves, I find. But spamming the screen with wind sickles works a treat!

I am bad at this game but I love it!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I have yet to find a Dungeon Seed (RF4). The wiki said they were around Sheziro (sp?) Hill, but didn't say how they drop. Enemies? Random crates?

Dirk the Average posted:

And honestly, this is the best way to approach the game. You'll eventually learn the crafting system once you get into the postgame, and learning how to break the game over your knee takes all the struggle out of the early portions of the game.

I would highly recommend doing some research on how the crafting system works after you get a bit further though; the system is incredibly deep and there's a hell of a lot you can do to optimize your gear and customize it in any way you want. For instance, I eventually ended up with a sword that I could use with the cyclone weapon art to hit the entire screen and inflict every single debuff (including instant death!) at a fairly high % chance. There's also ways to increase your resistances to all damage, boost stats into the stratosphere, stack multiple accessory effects into one accessory, etc. etc. etc.

Granted, most of the materials to do what I talked about are things that show up in the postgame, so you're pretty close to when all the options start opening up.

For when I'm ready to dive down the crafting rabbit hole... is there a good place to look at how to do it?

Also... can anybody give me an extremely vague hint on how to start the 3rd story arc? Or is it something I'll stumble upon readily enough? It's been a couple in-game days since I beat the boss of the Floating Empire and I get the feeling the game isn't done. Main thing that tells me that is one of the quests you can get from Eliza is "Get 5 friendship hearts with everyone in town" and I haven't done that with Venti, due to her being unconscious for 3/4 of the game, and now she's just straight up gone but her friendship level is still there, sitting at 4.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I'm on 3DS so I'll be at the mercy of the RNG... Oh well.

Thanks for all the tips! I'll see what I can do.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

If I get sick of waiting I'll try that. Dylas for sure has more than 5 hearts (I'm trying to marry the guy, after all). Unsure about Amber but she has to be close, if not.

I was trying to look up how to get marriage to trigger cuz it's not terribly easy. I went and got a Double Bed before I realized only male PCs have to have that ahead of time. :raise: I crafted an Engagement Ring ages ago, figuring I'd need it, but also nope. Only the male needs that. I've done Dylas' event where he's going on about his smile, which according to one guide I looked at is his only prereq event? I've gone on more than 3 dates with him, I think. So it is just... run around outside every day and keep talking to him to trigger his marriage event? Pray the RNG is kind?

In the meantime I'll work on growing some huge flowers so I can add Ambrosia to my stable. I feel like running around with an electric horse and a giant fairy, sure.

Also I didn't know that NPCs would stay in your party overnight if you don't dismiss them! I've been sending Dylas home before I go to bed because I figured it'd be kinda.... awkward, to go to sleep with him still there.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

OH poo poo. I was just skimming that RF4 crafting guide (thanks for linking that btw!) and I had a sudden realization:

I could use that "item override" trick to give Dylas back his carrot and have him do more than single digit damage! I was feeling sad because the Veggieblade I gave Horse Husband sucked even at lv 10 where I'm at in the game, but it's FUNNY to give a horse man a giant carrot to fight with.

Now I can have him use the carrot AND have him contribute to combat!

Right? That will work? I'm not going completely crazy here?

Oh, another question while I'm at it: if I have Dylas in my party constantly to try and get that "Memories" town even to trigger, does that keep his marriage even from triggering? I do still need to actually marry the guy.

And also for anybody looking to trigger that event too, I had to get Amber to lv 7 friendship before she wouldn't leave my party precisely at her curfew.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Oh hey. The "Memories" event just triggered! I didn't even have to savescum. I just kinda left Dylas and Amber in my party while I went about my normal business, and it triggered. Hooray!

Now I just gotta get Dylas to put a dang ring on it already! :argh: Any advice for getting marriage events to trigger? The Gamefaqs guide for this game is conspicuously missing Dylas from its list of marriage events...

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I've stopped learning cooking recipes or something? I've got stacks of cooking bread my fridge thanks to winning them at festivals, my cooking level is 76 or so, and I don't learn recipes from them.

Does it matter which recipe bread you eat? Like, I have a stack of a bunch of different level cooking bread, will any of them give me something different, or is it just random?

I'm kinda sick of having this bread in my fridge.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

also you can replace "Heinz" with "Arthur" and suddenly you're talking about RF4 too (except there you have to manually place each stack of 9 into the bin, and the costs are slightly less ludicrous but still insane, but way less bad)

Arthur sells wood? Well son of a BITCH I am an idiot. I've just been going around to the seasonal fields and chopping wood manually like a barbarian.

Although I do also need the wood-cutting levels to unlock the recipes for more farm tools so maybe it's not a complete waste.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

It's the first day of summer and I finally remembered to check out that area of Seziro (sp?) Hill where I was told I could find a Dungeon Seed! I brought with me my newly acquired giant fairy friend, Ambrosia. Second boss I have tamed!

So yeah that "puzzle" sure was a thing. :stare: I had to put the 3DS down for a minute because I was laughing too hard. This game. I love it.

And now I have the capability to complete like.... 3 more quests for Eliza! (Grow a dungeon and get sword and shield flowers, which you can find in the field dungeons.)

Progress is being made!

Also, my cooking level has now hit 80 and yeah these regular Cooking Breads aren't going to cut it anymore are they? drat it I have several stacks of these things still thanks for festival rewards. What do I do with them? Just sell them?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I've had all the cooking tools for ages so I just dumped the bread. Tragic.

Oh well. Today I got the last farm expansion and got my second level 10 crop!

I guess there's also that third story arc to do... meh. I just continue to farm.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Dirk the Average posted:

So, fun thing you can do with tamed monsters now that you have bosses tamed. If you feed a monster an upgrade material, it permanently affects the monster's stats. This can do things like give a monster critical hits, allow it to inflict status effects, etc. etc. It might be a fun thing to think about as you go about farming.

Is there a cap on this? I've been handing out the Fairy Dust you get from the pixie like candy to get fairies with sky high magic attack. Working on feeding it to Ambrosia currently.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Hmmmm, Dylas has been acting mighty suspicious lately. First he asks me to see my hand, then runs off to the blacksmith shop. Now he's just slaving away at the work bench, day in, day out, and being extra prickly.

He won't even accept presents! Bud, it's your favorite, sashimi! You've been working hard making that totally-not-a-wedding-ring!

I know what he's doing but he's being mean about it. He's lucky I'm a patient woman!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I am once again stuck. This time in Leon Karnak, the second visit. I even looked up a walkthrough and I'm still stuck! It says after you defeat the mid-boss, Grimoire dragon, you should be able to just climb all the way to the top, but... I can't. There's a purple pillar in the way. The walthrough doesn't mention how to get to the switch that lowers the purple pillar. I can see where the switch is, it's just off-screen when you take a teleporter after defeating the mid-boss, but I can't seem to get to it!

To the west is another weird area where you have to defeat all the enemies in the room in order to progress? Well, that's not the weird part. The weird part is the enemy spawning gate thingy is inaccessible! The monsters warp in from across a gap and I can't get over to it. There is a weighted switch across the gap, and did throw things across the gap to weigh it down, in the hopes that it would do something, and it doesn't. At least not in that room. I chucked like 3 pieces of iron at that switch.

Halp I would love to not be stuck!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

DACK FAYDEN posted:

When in doubt, use magic from far away - but that might be the room where there's a loving box, and the box is secretly on top of a switch, and you have to break the box with magic to un-hit the switch to make the barrier that's blocking you go away!

the wiki actually has descriptions of the relevant rooms with switches to get unstuck!

Oh son of a BITCH. I massively played myself in that room, or got massively unlucky. One of those. The box room was indeed the one I was talking about. I saw the switch and threw a thing across the gap to weigh it down, thinking it was a switch that needed to be weighed down. i must have broken the box with magic accidentally before I even saw there was a box there.

Or else an enemy died right on top of the switch and their drop landed on top of the switch.

Bad luck or I played myself?

Either way, thank you! I should be able to get un-stuck!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Is there a way (RF4) to give myself temporary fire immunity? Preferably also to my pets? There's this one room in Rune Prana that is just kicking my rear end. There are half a dozen mages behind blocks that constantly spam fire spells at me. I can't reach them to melee them and they take forever to die from spells. I FINALLY managed to kill one of them by spamming way too many Dark Snakes at it, but then I got sent back to the previous room by the knockback from all its friends, thus resetting all my progress.

And in fact can I even progress in that room if I do manage to kill them all? Hadn't thought of that. This is the northwestern room on the first floor of the place. In the eastern room I found a switch, and figured there was one to match it in the west, so I could open the door in the middle.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Saxophone posted:

What the poster above me said. Also, craft one each of the resistance brooches. I know the fire one plus eating ice creams had me taking ~90% less fire damage, if not outright absorbing it.

They’re pretty invaluable and I found myself using whichever one the floor was attacking me with or the boss was using. Using those plus a food that gives you resist to double up on it can trivialize some floors/rooms.

Ah! This did the trick! Made a Fire Brooch and conveniently Dylas had given me some Ice Cream the morning (good Horse Husband), and I brought the Fire fairy with me. Between the Brooch and the ice cream I was just absorbing their fire. That was extremely satisfying.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

You can, a wall disappears and a switch appears. Also that room sucks because of the knockback, no shame.

I ended up using a spear art that had a hitbox large enough to bypass the wall. A spell works too but then you gotta make a staff etc.

(and I think you're not at the dangerous scissors scorp enemy yet, limiting your armor proper options, but you might be able to make a better hat? I forget)

Oddly enough when trying to get at them with a spear art I discovered I should just poke them with the spear regular attacks if they were close enough. Good to know!

Dirk the Average posted:

Rune Prana is where the gloves come off and where you have to start doing some interesting things to continue, or get yourself so powerful that you can just brute force past the gimmicks. There are accessories that provide resistance to fire (Ruby Brooch or Fire Ring) - you can definitely wear one of those. There are also monsters who are resistant to or absorb fire.

At this point though, I'd sit back and consider what the best armor/weapons you can make with the materials you have access to are. I think you've got orichalcum by now, so you could probably put together something like a Power Protector (assuming you can get to the Heaven's Scissors scorpion enemy). Upgrading your gear so that you're getting at least 1,000 defense from your armor and 500-600 from your other bits and bobs of gear goes a long way towards making enemy attacks hurt a lot less, and will help you as you progress further in the dungeon.

Ah in that case I could stand to upgrade my armor, if I'm supposed to be getting 1000 from armor alone, or does that include helmet? I'm sitting at 1778 melee attack, 960 m. attack, 1200 def, 1300 m. def currently.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Hi RF4 stupid question of the day time: what's up with fruit trees? I have a quest from Eliza to harvest apples. I planted some apple trees, they're grown in 100%, and they aren't producing any fruit. The grape and orange trees I planed previously produce fruit just fine, so I don't get it. Is there something special about apple trees?

.... Is it like Animal Crossing where trees need the 8 squares around them to be free in order to grow properly? Because I have all the trees next to each other in orchard rows.

Help me fix my orchard. I want fruit!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Rynoto posted:

Have you checked the hp of the soil? If it's too low the fruit won't spawn and 4 trees at once need regular infusions.

Yes, I got the idea to try that after the apple trees were stuck at 100% growth for months. I planted some clover next to them and whacked it with my hoe when they were fully grown. Then a couple days later I tried the same thing with some withered grass for good measure, since I read somewhere that that also restores soil HP?
How long does it take them to start producing once you restore the soil HP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I've been trying to get my apple trees to produce still. (RF4) Can anybody explain to me, like I am a very slow child, how trees work, and what kind of spacing they need?

What I did, and I'm starting to think it was a bad idea, was plant a row of fruit trees at the top of one of my fields to have an orchard. I didn't have apple trees at the time, so the left and right edges got filled with orange and grape trees at first. I have... 2-3 of each. The orange and grape trees grew and are producing fine despite being next to each other. Then when I got apple seeds, I filled them in the middle of the row.

The apple trees are at 100% growth and not producing. I planted 4-leaf Clovers next to the trees, let them grow, and whacked them with a hoe to restore the HP, but I am not sure if that restores the soil HP, or the tree HP, or which one is causing them not to produce fruit?

I feel very stupid please help. :(