Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

LifeSunDeath posted:

no you see, the game needs to tax us MORE, because power bottlenecks aren't quite realistic enough. Tbf, you can mod the hell out of factorio and make it stupid difficult if you want, no need for crazy realism mods that would break the game flow totally.
The Factorio mod that made bottlenecked conveyors spill their contents onto the ground is a certain kind of chaos I wish upon no one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Ok, I'm still getting the hang of the game in general as a neophyte, but at least some of my skills translate from Factorio. This is one of the most visually captivating games I've played. I was stunned when I set up a rail gun for the first time and started firing solar sails, and I could see each in orbit. The game also enables my love of exploration, and I loved flying to another planet for the first time, a lava planet covered in rocks. Awesome.

So I'm in the early/mid game(?) and I've just set up a trickle of purple science (while also trickling in yellow still). I'm trying to figure out ways to stabilize my production so I can finally get high tier things like warpers automated (so I can explore other systems). My home planet is a mess but it's the only planet in my home system with any oil so I just have to deal. In what direction should I do this? Set up a ton of planetary towers? Skip them and just focus on interstellar towers since they also function as better versions of the former? And should I just throw them everywhere?

I use the lava planet as an industrial center for low tier goods. There is a third desert planet I think I can use and ferry things there to make more complex things as well. Also I have way too much hydrogen but I bet I'll reverse that trend as I collide it into deuterium and make casimir crystals.

Also, does it make sense to automate things like buildings and logistics vessels? I feel like I need lots more towers and bots.

My head is swimming with thoughts.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Somebody send help, this game is taking control of my life. My home planet is a nightmare. My demand for graphene is appears insatiable. I just kinda let oil do its thing and hope it works (spoiler: it doesn't). My early mining nodes are beginning to deplete. I feel like I need to review my production line from top to bottom.

But I did explore another star system and it was rad as hell. Even set up a rudimentary trade route for some rare resources with some manually crafted warpers. Maybe all this fireice can help me with my graphene woes. Setting up a quantum chip production chain feels like a herculean task still though.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I did the math on the infrastructure needed to produce even 1 titanium crystal per second and now setting up an interstellar route for that natural vein I found of organic crystal seems like a no brainer.

Edit: This would also require 1/3 of my entire home planet's capacity to produce oil. Nice.

SettingSun fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 3, 2021

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Well, I started a dyson sphere but it's slow going. The resource demand for one of these is incredible. There aren't enough mining nodes in my solar system to support making this in a reasonable amount of time so I guess I too am expanding to other stars for more mundane imports other than rare nodes. I'm really glad green matrices manufacture 8 warpers.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Now that my dyson sphere is assembling I finally dipped into mods. Only two, the production stats and blueprint mod, but both have been life changing. Now I can see precisely where my line is collapsing (it's plane filters) and setting up new planets is a breeze.

Edit: I'm running out of sulfuric acid are you kidding me

SettingSun fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Apr 7, 2021

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

To be fair I'm already exploiting another star system's sulfuric acid oceans. I just need to do more of it, ie actually go out there and lay down more pumps. I'm going to have to expand the whole plane filter supply line. God that's going to suck.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

For the record I don't use the mod manager. I just downloaded the files directly and threw them into the DSP install folder. Loads up with no user intervention. Until I need to update them that is, but I'll deal.

The better production stats mod is merely an expansion to the already existing Production screen and is used in the same way.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Oh absolutely, I'm really griping at this reverse pyramid scheme where to expand the top you need to geometrically expand the bottom of Ti glass and casimir crystals, and their upline.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

While I didn't start with an explicit mining/smelting facility split, I'm finally consuming raw ore at a rate that was infeasible to keep setting up new smelting as I completely consumed the veins. So I eventually retrofit a planet I exhausted the ore of and transported ore to it.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'm so close to a stable production line of carrier rockets for my nearly complete sphere. I get the components themselves finally sorted and now processors are in a dire deficit. I'm setting up a new manufactory in another star system as a flex an experiment. I'm producing antimatter at a not bad clip so artificial suns (and the blueprint mod) make setting up new planets a breeze.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

There’s something deeply satisfying in looking up into the night sky and seeing my logistic vessels streak between the stars, despite the fact that should be physically impossible. Then again, this is the Actual Universe.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Once I completely enclose the sun in the sphere I can rest.

Haha, no. I'm moving the cannons and silos to another star system and enclosing that in a more elaborate sphere.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I notice while designing a new sphere that it can be large enough to encompass planets with a close orbit. The implications of that are terrifying, and I'm definitely doing that so I can blind myself standing on that planet.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'm messing around with a new save and there's an issue that I didn't have in my main one, in that my home system has a single 400k patch of silicon ore within it. That's an interesting complication. The stone conversion into silicon is abysmal so I guess finding a system with good silicon and setting up the means to get there are priorities number 1.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Ships absolutely will jump to another star system to harvest its gas giant. Deuterium just comes out real slowly out of them. I get most of mine from fractioners, actually, supplemented slightly with a few particle colliders.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Looking at the production stats for my orbitals, between 15 of them they produce 4 deutrium/second total. Not that much!

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I ran out of unipolar magnets long ago. I can never seem to make enough gravity turbines for the standard recipe but they're coming in enough.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

If you've got a power surplus on a planet, maybe set up an accumulator/exchanger scheme? I've used that to power new star systems before I got my artificial stars set up.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

With planets with inconvenient orbits, I just circumnavigate the equator in a band of panels. Ugly, but serviceable.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

SkyeAuroline posted:

Speaking of silicon, having completed the entire game before realizing the stone to silicon recipe was a thing... is it ever remotely worthwhile after you've gotten a single silicon vein set up to mine? Instincts say no.

I suspect that recipe exists to allow creation of solar panels before solar exploration, and as a fallback for when your home system has a woefully low amount of silicon in general.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Wafflecopper posted:

I got this game the other day and I'm well hooked. Is it normal for your starting system to only have one silicon vein? I'm worried I'm gonna tap it out and I'm not sure how hard it's gonna be to get interstellar logistics going.

The home system will have a lowish amount, but should suffice until you can go interstellar and tap other systems for their silicon.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I am extremely hooked. Since I discovered DSP I played little else for a month. I’ve started a new game recently (perhaps prematurely, with an update coming this month) and I’m right back in. Because of the low pressure and optimistic tone, this is just a cool smooth game to chill in. I love the scale and theme.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The only streamer I watch in the Factorio-like sphere is Nilaus, and he’s covered every possible facet of DSP that exists in its current state. His enthusiasm for the game is infectious.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The pressure of combat is one thing that I really don't want in this game. I greatly enjoy how chill it is. If I want combat, I'll play tower defense in Factorio.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

God I hope the new update doesn't break saves. I'm too far in a new game to go back.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I put my game on hold until the new patch. My anticipation of a new game will make playing it much sweeter and I get to avoid burnout.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Depletion of oil is very significant! Wish I were home so I could jump right into it.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I can't hate on the VA at all. In fact I love it. Welcome to the Actual Universe!

The oil change doesn't bother me at first blush, but I'll see over the weekend when I get a game going.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Does it? I get each relevant tutorial once and then nothing for the rest of the game.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Setting resources to unlimited just set each node to 11 billion or some such. How does it interact with the new oil wells?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

euphronius posted:

If you aren’t pressing anything when you get close I think it lands on its own

Only if you aren’t on an approach vector going 1000 m/s!

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Nice, I didn't realize the foundation colors are completely RGB customizable. Now if only we can colorize the Icarus itself.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The real reason you should visit other star systems is that it's rad as hell to explore all the cool planet types that exist out there.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The middle planet in my home system is a new type: a Stone Hurricane planet. 100% construction area, large amounts of everything but coal, 150% wind power. I like this planet.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

You can make the unipolar magnets go a long way by waiting to tap them until you get a bunch of vein utilization tech.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The smelters are a total luxury. As already mentioned expanding smelting is trivial so space saving with a super smelter so late is basically a flex.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

New little hotfix fresh out the oven, with some great news for those who can't stand the tutorials:

quote:

[Version 0.7.18.7063]

Feature:
Now you can choose to Enable/Disable your Milky Way function in the [Settings - Gameplay] option.
Now you can choose to upload/not upload your Dyson Sphere data to Milky Way server in the [Settings - Gameplay] option.
Now you can manually delete your Dyson Sphere data already uploaded to Milky Way in the [Settings - Gameplay] option.
Now you can turn on/off the advisor's prompts Added the ability to turn on or off advisor prompts in the [Settings - Miscellaneous] option.
Now you can hold down the right mouse button in Milky Way to see the camera facing the center of the Milky Way and automatically patrol around.

Change:
Now your ID in Milky Way will be different from other players
Optimized server operating efficiency, and the Milky Way can be loaded smoother than before.
No longer publicly display the names of the Top 10 Possessors in the Milky Way
Adjusted the initial camera position of the Milky Way when entering the Milky Way from StarMap - Now if you enter the Milky Way from StarMap, you will see the location of your star cluster in the Milky Way at the first glance.
Optimized the logic of camera control in the Milky Way
Optimized the VFX of the Milky Way view
Increased the building limit for mass construction from 12 to 15

Bugfix:
Fixed a bug that may appear when the player picked up items in the construction mode
Fixed a bug that the name may be obscured by the bright light of the star cluster when rolling closer to a star cluster
Fixed a bug that the player's name and his/her Dyson Sphere data may not be displayed correctly in the Milky Way after the player's Dyson Sphere data reached the requirements.
Fixed the bug that the thumbnail of the Logistic Vessel may be displayed incorrectly when entering Milky Way from StarMap
Fixed a bug that the UI of Milky Way may be displayed incorrectly
Fixed a bug that the cargo may be imported or exported incorrectly after built Storage Tanks, fractionators or energy exchanges under certain circumstances
Fixed a bug of mold-through under Construction Mode due to the too-late refreshing of collision frame while building a construction
Fixed the bug that the dismantle gizmo may be displayed incorrectly when dismantling the splitter

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Haven't crashed yet myself 10 hours into a new game. I did get a weird crash alert that disabled autosaves once but a restart fixed that and I haven't had it since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

New little patch out today that addressed the overuse of tab. Now, selecting what comes out of the ILS is chosen with the arrow keys. Glad to see the devs seem to respond to feedback.