Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Rookies is about slowing things down in your head by developing consistency, pattern recognition, and the ability to stay calm under pressure. As the cars get faster, all three speed up and so take more mental energy.

Random things to focus on in rookies:

- Race pace. A 1:40’ that wrecks out on lap 3 is slower than a 1:42’ that finishes. Hot laps in practice are cool and good, but also spend time doing laps at a pace you know you can run for the duration.

- Staying calm. A common cause of screw ups in lower tiers is trying to go faster when someone’s right on your rear bumper. Then you miss your brake point, or turn in, next thing you know you’re in the wall, or collecting dandelions. Just drive your race.

- Pattern recognition. Developing a sense of when to attack, when to defend, and how hard to do each. You only get this through experience, so get to it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Watching the LMP2s heading into T1 side by side with the GTLMs then backing off to give up the corner IRL and chuckling to myself.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Is there a consensus on the best overall wheel size for general purpose use? I race the 911 RSR, BMW GT3, and Skips mostly. Fanatec had a 30cm wheel, a 33 cm wheel, and the smaller 27(ish?) F1 style wheels.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Feb 5, 2021

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

This gentleman seems to believe 300mm is a good size for an all-around wheel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0SE7x_gA_o

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Finally pulled the trigger on the ClubSport pedals, wheel base, and R300 wheel. :getin:

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Yeah. The V3. I was thinking about getting the piston kit as well, but decided to hold off until I get a sense of how the pedals feel by themselves.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Just installed the Clubsport v3 pedals and CSL v2.5 wheel base on the Playseat Challenge. Woof is that a mismatch, but it’s still fun.

The pedals aren’t at a great angle in my current seating position, so I may have to pull ‘em and put on the extenders that make them more vertical, but the difference in pedal and wheel feel is pretty noticeable.

This was definitely a ridiculous upgrade from a G29

What do you guys have your brake force and damper set to?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Are you talking about the BRF setting in the windows control panel (also found in the Fanalab app)? It goes from 0 to 100 and says that the default is 50. It was set to “min” by default when I installed the drivers for the pedals. I haven’t adjusted anything pedal related in iRacing

Set to 0, the brake functions largely like my old Logitech pedals; the bottom of the stroke is just under 100% brake pressure. With BRF set to 50, I’m getting about 30% brake force at full throw, then need to put probably another 30lbs or so of pressure on the brake to get to 100% brake force. I’m still trying to figure out the optimal setting there. It feels very weird coming from potentiometers and I’m missing a lot of corners.

Biggest issue right now is the pedals are sitting perpendicular parallel to the floor, which means my foot has a tendency to slip forward when at full throttle. Shoes help, but I may have to put some hockey tape on there, or otherwise figure out how to raise the angle of the pedal throw. And yes, I find myself looking around my basement for a square yard to put a real rig.

edit: lol I forgot everything is adjustable on these bad boys! https://youtu.be/ASrEvzp7IMQ

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 12, 2021

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

bigbillystyle posted:

Do any of you guys buy setups?

I use my free prime sub to subscribe to Craig’s Setup Shop and grab the GTE and GT3 setups off it. They work well enough.

I’d love to get better at tuning, but I imagine it would take dozens of hours of practice/research, on top of getting within a few tenths on a track consistently, which I don’t really have.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I do wish iRacing was better at highlighting the settings on a car that have been changed, and by how much.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Hadn’t raced in three weeks. Jumped into the IMSA race at Nürburgring. Accidentally used the normal brake marker on the inside…on lap one…at turn one.

Anyway I’m waiting for an email from iRacing.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

The clutch on the V3s isn’t that bad, but if you turn braking force (BRF) up past 30 or so, you’ll find you have to stomp on ‘em pretty hard to get to threshold. That said, they’re incredibly tunable so you can dial in whatever throw and pressure you’d like.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

I absolutely cannot get the hang of the hairpin, miss it every time, even though I'm going way slower than everyone else.

I know it may seem obvious, but are you turning your wheel enough? It’s more common than you might think to under-steer on that hairpin. I usually have to change hand position.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

edit: this is not a hockey thread.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jun 16, 2022

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

If you want to join an open practice but don’t feel comfortable in tons of traffic, once you’re loaded into the session you can go to the driver entry list and click the drop down to select a different practice session/slot/channel/whatever it’s called. It’s the same practice but a different set of vehicles (usually few to none).

If you’re several seconds off pace, I wouldn’t worry about it. If you’re, say 10+ seconds off pace, then the issue may be you need to learn the track first, and I’d either do that in a solo test session, or one of the alternate practice slots as mentioned above.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

There’s an option in settings to always prompt you to save a replay when you exit a session. It can be a helpful reminder for those times a protest-worthy interaction happens.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Douchebag posted:

God help me. I listed my GT Omega Apex on FB Marketplace.

6; Is this still available? So far.

I assume this includes a text message from someone that literally just says “$25”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

With how long it takes to load a clip, and how many protests must get filed each day, I’ve long assumed that iRacing is the second largest buyer of nvidia chips, just behind OpenAI.