Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Xaintrailles posted:

We have a paid social media person. They post twice a day or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Pimpcasso posted:

I have to wear an armband that buzzes and flashes when I get within six feet of another employee since covid came around. I work in a small control room monitoring a bunch of computers with 3 other people. So these alert armbands just go off constantly for 12 hours like we’re playing laser tag. :waycool:

lol

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Aardvark! posted:

What is the specific procedure out of curiosity? Also lmao at the bomb thing. Maybe they figure you'll be able to tell if it's a bomb so you can throw it out the window :pseudo:

I heard that if you keep talking nobody explodes. Maybe so this is so they can talk about the bomb more.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Charles Bukowski posted:

What baffles me is how ruthless and cutthroat businesses appear to be, but in every department and at every level, people are just loving around and being stupid lazy and petty. Would it not make sense for someone important to cut out every weak link mercilessly and just have talented people who give a poo poo and are paid well enough to commit? I know I expect a lot from people, but surely this makes sense? Why do we so often just put up with mediocrity?

You are essentially wondering out loud "why is human society? Should not be better???"

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

I brought my Drake posted:

she was astonished at the idea of paid leave

Ladies and gentlemen... America!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Gin_Rummy posted:

Don't even get me started on bad buyers...

Had one guy just up and ghost our entire department for ~6 months. No responses to emails, phone calls, etc despite being online all day. Pleas to his managers went unresolved... how do these people keep jobs?

We live in a society.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
That guy is a LEGEND in the child abandonment community lol.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Outrail posted:

Yeah I explicitly said that aspect wasn't cool at all. I was talking just about how he managed to organize and pull that off at the age of 18.

It is possible to have more than one opinion of something at the same time.

It's ok, the lol was not meant to signify an attack. I was also loling at the idea of LEGENDARY child abandonment, because it's funny and I'm a bad person.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

stump collector posted:

Someone finally changed the world from the inside

By god

I want it to be real and I want it to be about a video game.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

BitBasher posted:

For bonus points, the contractor was paid a monthly fee that included zero actual on site hours to fix anything. They were charging 4 to 12 k for replacing a single desktop PC. 880$ to replace a bad hard drive. All on top of their monthly. the contractor was making a thousand or two a month on average on top of their monthly fee for delivering absolutely poo poo service. I was astounded how much the company was paying. It's insane. And they are happy to pay me!

The business world is very funny when you discover the guts of it.

At my old job we were subcontracted to do a thing, the nature of which is irrelevant, for a string of government facilities. The main contract was held by intermediary, whom basically just acted as a middleman organizer for all various contractors that might be working at this string of government facilities, so that the government folk could enjoy only having one point of contact. This intermediary did not do any actual, physical work at any of facilities. This intermediary also sucked rear end. It is potentially not really their fault, because the nature of the arrangement meant one source was expected to deal with construction trades, electricians, plumbers, heavy equipment guys, IT personnel, loving everything under the sun these facilities might need. And obviously it is impossible for any one person to be knowledgeable about all that poo poo.

Anyway, one year they finally lost the re-bid on the contract. Government wasn't happy with them anymore and gave it to someone else. Without the contract, the old intermediary had to lay off all the folks we had been working with. The new company had no existing physical presence anywhere in the state. So they just basically sent one guy out to be manager and then hired all the same staff that just got laid off from the old company. For all the real effect on human society you might as well have just hung a new sign on the same building. Then the new company hired us back to do the same job we had been doing before. So from the outside perspective, the government had dropped a contractor it was unhappy with and hired a new contractor to replace them. In real terms, nothing had changed except but a sign on the door and one new manager at the intermediary.

This is the economy lol.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Apr 7, 2021

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Imagine people just working less than 40 hours intentionally and this not being an immediate sentence to poverty lmao

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

ben shapino posted:

this is the most deranged, insane thing i've ever seen posted on these god drat forums or anywhere for that matter. what the gently caress is wrong with you

Society could be improved somewhat!!!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Resident Evil 8

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Lascivious Sloth posted:

I can't comprehend people who only make ends meet without saving. 1/5 of my monthly goes to rent

lol

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Shots fired in the Dumb poo poo Your Work Does thread!!!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Outrail posted:

Lol. Leave the company and take the rest of the clients

It's hard to say because honestly the specifics make or break this one and we don't have the details.. But imo the OP probably hosed up on this one.

1) By their own admission everyone else is blaming them. The entire group being against the poster is usually a sign of an unreliable narrator.

2) They keep pounding the idea "they had so much time to ask me for info!", but that does not make sense. The person who could request info is not familiar with the account, the OP is. The OP is the one who should be expected to know what files are pertinent. This is literally a supervisor handing something off to a subordinate who normally has nothing to do with it, then blaming the subordinate for not having the clairvoyance to know exactly what materials they would need to handle the client. It wouldn't matter if they had six months to request it. Why would they know. That's your job, OP! You're the one who should know what files are pertinent! Especially if it was something apparently important enough to blow up the account by being absent for a single week.

Again, we can't really know from this story because it's impossible to properly judge if this person's actions were reasonable without knowing what kind of "pertinent files" were omitted and what happened with the client. I don't know it's bullshit for sure, but it's smelling like it. Put yourself in the reverse situation. Your supervisor is leaving on vacation. They're gonna hand you a client you normally don't interact with. While they are gone, you can't find an important thing. When your supervisor gets back they blame you, saying "you had so much time to request this, why didn't you know!?"

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 25, 2021

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

ultrafilter posted:

The problem is clearly the management who let the company get into a state where no one can disappear for a week without all hell breaking loose.

Yeah I just about to add: the alternative conclusion here is just "the company is badly run and it's not any one person's specific fault". It may also be the client was just unreasonable and blew up about some minor thing that couldn't reasonably be anticipated. Both of those things are possible.

But the main thing that leaves a distaste in my mouth about the story is the OP, a supervisor, blaming a subordinate for not specifically requesting unknown material. The OP never brings up the company procedures or the client's behavior and just bangs on the errant subordinate instead. That's the main reason I'm inclined to judge against them.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

EntranceJew posted:

This was from a previous job, but:

This is very powerful small family business energy.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
No I’m the manager.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

George H.W. oval office posted:

Company I work for is getting an uptick in bad social media presence and our marketing guy is trying to stem the tide of potential websites created to trash us by wanting me to buy domains and squatting in them.

“corpsucks.com”
“corpblows.com”
Etc

Like I get the sentiment but there are so so so many permutations that if I were putting in the effort to make an anti business and “corpsucks.com” wasn’t available I’d simply move on to .net, .co, .wtf and so on. Just lol at this request.

lol

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
imo unironically believing there is a "worker shortage" is also a sign of being untethered from economic reality.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I can't believe approximately 800,000 Workers piled into a clown car rocket and permanently left Earth to go live on Mars. It is impossible to get Workers now no matter what conditions or pay, for they no longer exist on account of having gone to space.

- A business owner

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

nvidiagouge posted:

the men are just awful, whiny, and emotionally stunted employees that don't know how to take any kind of constructive criticism or direction. Everything is always some kind of personal affront or attack on their insecurity.

Maybe they just don't like you nagging them so much!!!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Oh jeez you're that stdh poster. Sorry I'll stop bothering you now!!!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
imo take Bezos' soundbite where he goes all "thank you, YOU are the ones who made this all possible" about his jerkoff space tourist flight and play it over the ruins of the distribution center.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Screenplay idea: a "Modern Robin Hood" story about a mild mannered office worker laid off during the pandemic. Disillusioned with modern society, his personality changes and he starts a brand new life of noble crime: office furniture redistribution. Traveling across the nation, he absconds with desks, chairs, and even cable modems, and gives them to downtrodden work-from-home staff. Corporations and government offices alike find themselves had by this wily outlaw adored by the people. Editor's note: work in a steamy romance plot with a thicc "naughty-librarian" type who works the "inside woman" angle at a major office center.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Outrail posted:

Our focus group suggests massive lizard tits and a robotic love interest would improve box office sales.

Everyone's always complaining Hollywood is out of ideas and just makes the same stuff over and over. Time to shake it up!!!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The strong desire for work from home seems to come from an even split of people falling to their knees and angrily shouting "COMMUTE!!!!!" at the sky, and people chucking to themselves saying "more like Not Work From Home" while playing video games in their underwear on the clock.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Just Small Business Owner Things, OP.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Combo posted:

"What? You got paid time off this past year, we don't have that rule"
"Well you go better talk to <his ex wife who handled HR AND payroll> because any day I took off was unpaid"

The Small Business Owner 100 handbook instructs that under no circumstances should terms of employment ever be written down. Instead you give a verbal description in a vague, hurried manner. You should NOT do this with the employee and the HR lady at the same time, but separately so they that both have time to digest the information on their own.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

SkyeAuroline posted:

Calling back on this - interviewed with them because they were available during my time off, and interviewing without taking the offer doesn't really hurt & gives useful experience.

20 minutes from start of interview to admission they're discriminating on candidates based on a protected class (that they probably assumed I'd support since it was favorable to me). Like... why would you admit that to a candidate, let alone one you haven't even given an offer to yet? The rest was enough demonstration not to take the offer, but took effort to suppress a comment on that one.

Just Old Fashioned Owner things, OP.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Super Waffle posted:

My new boss has just discovered $350k in unpaid invoices, stretching back to December 2020. My former boss/somehow still employed VP was just sitting on them, couldn't have been bothered to so much as forward them to the accounting guy.

She asked me what it takes to get fired from this company. I just laughed and told her this was the tip of the iceberg with that guy.

A universal Law of Business, big or small, is that the criteria for what it takes to get fired can vary wildly from place to place. At many places "incompetence" is simply not on the list.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

MagusofStars posted:

If the business falls to pieces because ONE EMPLOYEE takes vacation for ONE DAY, that place was never going to survive anyways.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Zil posted:

There is an anime screenshot for every situation isn't there?

I think we could all benefit from the wisdom of the Anime Elves re: business administration.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Volmarias posted:

I am going to need the source for Business Elf here, because this seems proximate to my interests.

Unfortunately that snippet is about the entirety of the business wisdom you're going to get out of Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?, also known as DanMachi. But if you are interested in Real Business In Anime I recommend Spice and Wolf or Aggretsuko. The former contains a lot of general economics and trade through the lens of a traveling medieval merchant, while the latter follows a frustrated office worker in modern times.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
e: wrong thread

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Critical posted:

most openings right now are for running the entire accounting operation on a clerk's salary

Nobody wants to work anymore...

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Healthcare in America is appropriate for dumb stuff at work because hospitals are for-profit businesses in the land of the free.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Maybe you'd get your own promotion if it wasn't for your truancy problem, Johnny!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Boss makes a dollar, I make a dime.

That's why I self service, on company time.