Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Not my work but thought you guys might like it:
https://twitter.com/itkeekz/status/1499075108912181248

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Atopian posted:

Leave the shirt pocket dangling below the cut, as a final gesture of contempt.
"I want sure of your stance on nipples so I split the difference"

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
e: misread

Splicer fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Mar 17, 2022

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Volmarias posted:

I understand very little of your beer-mans jargon, but I do very much understand "ugh gently caress this poo poo" and encourage you to post more of it
A mouse problem is when you have too many mice, insufficient mice, or the correct quantity of mice but some or all of the mice are not fit for purpose.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

sootikins posted:

this is amazing, I am gonna remember that one for a while.

I got known as the "problem finder" in excel and got handed a 38MB .xls with lots of sheets and what looked like maybe a dozen columns in each sheet? It should have been maybe 3MB at most. Anyway, it took like 2 minutes to open when I looked closer, I noticed the left-right scroll tab was really, really small. Someone had used the white cell fill and filled in every available cell in every sheet because they didn't like the way the grid looked. It took many minutes but I was able to clear all the color formatting and then delete all the columns. It ended up being around 750kb.
In my old job we used to get xlsx price lists from a supplier that were sometimes so big that our email system would reject them. They were adding outlines to the fields by selecting the column headers and hitting the outline button, so we'd have a few hundred rows of info followed by literally a million rows of bordered but otherwise empty cells.

e: every so often I'd explain what the issue was and how to avoid it, but they'd always just panick and send me a Dropbox link instead.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Mar 19, 2022

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

MarxCarl posted:

Work is trying to figure out why people are leaving, and why new people won't work here.

So they're going to have a party with beer, and are gonna start having bingo games at lunch! That'll fix all the problems!
*more people leave*
*bingo game attendance now mandatory reflected in your performance bonus*

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

xdice posted:

I struggle with this one at times. I chalk it up to the difference between doing something tangible, as opposed to the intangible nature of a lot of IT work. Cooking, making coffee, things like that, there's a certain satisfaction in doing that task well. For me, if I build a hundred vm's perfectly, it's still an intangible thing to my brain and doesn't bring the same satisfaction as say, cooking a perfect grilled cheese sandwich.

I dunno, I think I get the deeper observation you're going for, but I'm not doing well at putting it into words either.
This is one of the things those "Studies show monetary compensation is not the most important part of job satisfaction, therefor it's actually good that we're underpaying you and there's no raises this year *speeds off in new car*" managers are deliberately misquoting. If you're a traditional potter then you work hard on a bunch of pottery and see a bunch of pre-fired pottery and go hey, look at that, it all looks good, well done me. Then you put it in the kiln and take it out when it's done and go hey, look at all that nice pottery I made, good job me. You're getting immediate feedback on your work because the evidence is right there in your hands.

If your job is to monitor track 3 of the cup making machine's output line for defects then where's the feedback? There isn't any. So it's very important that you get regular, direct, positive feedback on your work in other ways.

And no a monthly pizza party in lieu of a wage increase with a generic "good job everybody" banner does not count.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Meh, I was just trying to do my job - wasn't my fault if people wanted to freak out on me.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

My personal game
:crossarms:

Aramoro posted:

Posts like this are always puzzling. Power fantasies about sticking it to the minimum wage service worker..
I think you missed the starter:

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I understand people not liking call centers, and the nature of the work being done definitely plays a role for me. Like, I hated anything close to collections calls.

Doing phone surveys was great, though - the topics and where we calling changed depending on where we were calling, so it was only a few weeks at most of real repetition. And I used to love the really pissed-off people.

"You're calling me at dinner! You are literally the devil!" Well, with a lot more profanity.

My personal game was to apologize but never hang up. "I understand. I'm terribly sorry." Things along those lines while they worked themselves up further and further. It was glorious. Like, if you're mad that I called you why won't you hang up the phone? I'd just keep apologizing until they became incoherent and slammed the phone done, and my day would be improved.

Anyway everyone relax and listen to Lenny
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgbhpgO_AbM&list=PLduL71_GKzHHk4hLga0nOGWrXlhl-i_3g&index=579

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Your all be a lot more relaxed if you were listening to people calling Lenny

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Start getting mad at him if he doesn't say good morning first

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Well that escalated alarmingly

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Stab and dismember him with his own knives and seal his corpse in one of your vats and gift the chef corpse beer to his family to serve at the funeral.

As a jape!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Dress up as his wife as a pleasant surprise

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
"It must be nice to have all your mistakes just go away at the end of the day. Some of us have to think ahead."

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Improbable Lobster posted:

The only acceptable greeting is a swift kit to the groin, delivered without warning
6 Gratuities Policy
6.1 Gifts are an act of aggression.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Escape From Noise posted:

I don't think I could handle the business side
Hasn't stopped your boss!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
A company doesn't collapse like that because Carol the Company Carrier is earning 30% more than Steve the Seat Warmer. It collapses because Steve the Seat Warmer is earning 30% more than Carol the Company Carrier oh and also Steve is the boss's useless nephew.

The budget for new hires expecting the new hires to be paid more is both extremely common and was the absolute death knell.

Saying the problem was knowing each other's salaries is like saying the problem with Theranos was those damned whistleblowers.

e:

Atopian posted:

It's not the transparency that's the problem, it's the loving.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Outrail posted:

And yet while they could have simply said 'okay okay you got us, heres a new fair rate' they instead let the company flounder because hey, that's paying less!
Yeah, there was a solution and it was absolutely "You're right, everyone's being brought up to the new hire pay + seniority raises on top of that + a big christmas bonus as an apology". Weird that Mr "Hires Wife and SIL as HR" didn't go for that huh.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Another bottling day and once again I am having violent fantasies about throwing the bottling machine down a hill and savagely beating it with sticks and stones.
Don't bottle things up

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tex Avery posted:

No, they absolutely are not. HR is there to mitigate circumstances that might allow an employee or former employee to sue the company. HR is not your friend. While they can do good things, they are no substitute for a union. HR will not negotiate a new contract to establish working conditions; they will merely enact a new contract without having to get input. The fact that this can happen is why you need union representation.
They mean that HR is to Company as Union is to Worker, which is why going to Company HR for Worker Union stuff is a terrible, terrible idea.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Critical posted:

Welp just got told there are to be no checks cut this week due to "internal balance movements" and we have a "town hall" teams meeting with the president on Thursday. I estimate a 30% chance I get shitcanned via a teams call and 50% I get it on Friday.
The worst part of remote working is it's so much harder to steal office supplies.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Animal-Mother posted:

We get to have a big department meeting to address our communication problem. There is no communication problem, but we can't say that to the boss or he'll get mad he spent weeks of emotional energy on a non-existent problem. So we have to pretend to have this problem and then pretend we are solving it. This is a waste of time, but at least it makes me laugh.
Sounds like a communication problem.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Unfortunately, no one can be told what Agile is. You have to see it for yourself.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

The issues had practical fixes that people who liked it wouldn't have noticed. For example: using canned fruits in brewing is a bad idea because the fruit is in a syrup made from cane sugar. Cane sugar added to secondary, or at too high of a percentage in the boil has a very negative impact on the flavor, leading to a harsh, acetic sourness similar to white vinegar as well as an astringent bitterness. On top of that, the processing was running several cans of peaches through a lovely home use blender, slowly filling buckets, until it was done, then putting it in the tank, which risked contamination on top of the flavor stability concerns. The use of canned peaches in a different beer ruined the flavor so badly we had to dump it. I told them we needed puree but they'd convinced themselves otherwise. It's not my brewery and I get you have to slop the pigs, but there's a way to do things as safely as possible, mitigating contamination and flavor stability risks. I kept asking to change to puree so he told me to contact another brewer at a larger brewery and he'd contact another. Both said we should absolutely use puree. I think he was convinced they'd say it was fine.
On the one hand you have the knowledge and experience, but on the other hand I have a gut feeling and am higher than you in the org chart.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Hyrax Attack! posted:

You think you're exaggerating
What on earth makes you think that?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Sorry. I had a pretty headache inducing meeting.

"We need to make the French saison more French! How about white grape juice or eating pears? Making a flagship beer a fruit beer shouldn't be an issue."
Kiss it with tongue.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Why are business people so averse to talking about bad things with appropriate language?
"Our company has dozens of problems" implies an unstable status quo and obligation to resolve. Each one you don't fix is a red mark on your sheet come bonus time. Even fixing one might be a red mark if they decide it was your fault in the first place.

"Our company has dozens of opportunities" implies the status quo is good. Doing nothing is fine and taking advantage of an easily progressed glaring opportunity is a green mark on your sheet come bonus time.

Would you prefer to tell shareholders about the three dead engines or advise them of the flight's exciting opportunity to progress to a multi-engine environment?

Splicer fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Apr 27, 2022

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Barudak posted:

Ive got better news, we're building the plane while its flying
It all comes back to Agile doesn't it

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Crackbone posted:

Fun times at my job, which is normally pretty chill.
Senior developer got caught actively disabling all our security/AV/management software. HUGE loving security violation.
CTO finds out and is extremely pissed off, but not at the dev though! Our security director gets told this should not have been reported through official channels (in other words “we wanted to bury this quietly without repercussions”).
I don’t have any personal stake or liability but looking at resume polishing.
...on their personal machine or companywide? Neither is good but...

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

rotinaj posted:

The fact that I’m making better pay than I ever have before,
Right up until they start having cash flow issues.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Surely you want the bad beers there so yours looks better by comparison?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Atopian posted:

Potential for a dark comedy-farce where someone working at $megacorp has to depress enough co-workers that one of them kills themselves every day for a week to cover for a friend's absence.
Dead Man On Campus 2: Now it's personnel

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

MarxCarl posted:

Back in 2000, the fire alarms went off, and we had to evacuate the building at the company i was at. Come to find out, someone had come in to check out the Halon system in the server room and hit the button. The Halon system released the gas, and immediately cut the power to the servers. That guy was not invited back into the building.
In one place I worked the big red release halon button was right next to and partially obscuring the small white door open switch. According to my induction the obvious had apparently only ever happened once, but that once is why they spent 10-15 minutes on that part of the induction.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Outrail posted:

How much time was wasted on those 15 mins per person vs the cost of paying someone to reinstall the big red button? Much less the cost of someone loving up again.

And had anyone ever thought to do the math on that?

You don't need to answer any of these questions.
It was a small IT department and an even smaller server room so it would come to "not much" and "a surprising amount" respectively. Or at least "a surprising amount" was what I was told when I asked why it hadn't been moved.

e: We'd have needed to have moved ducts and stuff to get a clear space. It was an incredibly cramped and claustrophobic room but also a good place to hide and look busy.

e2: I suppose the dumb poo poo my old work did was decide to keep all our servers in a single 2.5m x 2.5m x 2.5m cube like a badly written SCP article.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 09:46 on May 13, 2022

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Scientastic posted:

We have a thing at work where any project has to be scored based on the time it will save the workforce, which is then multiplied by how much they are paid for that time, as an estimate of how much the project is worth.

Except that if the DAILY time saving is fifteen minutes or less, it will never get the green light, even if it would save literally everyone in the organisation that time every day, because the assumption is that if you give someone fifteen minutes of time, they won’t use it to work, they’ll just have a coffee.

It’s really dumb.
Are there three 10 minute makework tasks that you do every day? No, there is one 30 minute makework task made up of three discrete components each with their own project stage.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

evilpicard posted:

Question for someone in a big company - why do suppliers refuse to create work orders without a PO number? Is this just a computer thing?
I've just started creating my own numbers them happy ... "uh yeah thats PO 0001"
As someone who dabbled in purchasing in a MegaCorp in a previous life:

With PO number:
Automated invoice comes in from supplier saying "10 widgets PO 12345 please pay $10".
Some middle manager or entry level employee that had absolutely nothing to do with any of this but is for some reason involved in this process: "What's this? I'll look up the PO in our system, oh it exists OK I press money button"
(please note this is an idealised scenario)

Without PO number:
Automated invoice comes in from supplier saying "10 widgets ordered by NAME from DEPARTMENT on DATE please pay $10".
Some middle manager or entry level employee that had absolutely nothing to do with any of this but is for some reason involved in this process: "I don't know what this is or what it's for so I will deny payment and not ask or tell anyone about this ever"
Everyone actually involved in raising the PO: "Why has our supplier stopped returning our calls"

Splicer fucked around with this message at 01:08 on May 19, 2022

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Batterypowered7 posted:

Work is now implementing some sort of hybrid seating where you don't get a dedicated cube if you're not in-office at least three days a week. Instead, areas are going to be sectioned off for each director in the company and workers just pick a station to work at for the day or two they are in the office (no idea what this setup looks like). The thing is, the company owns the buildings we work at, so I'm not quite sure what this accomplishes. Like, if we were renting two buildings and decided that eliminating dedicated workspaces for each employee meant we could downsize to only renting one building, then that would make sense. I'm just not sure what the goal is here ultimately. My wife thinks maybe the company's gonna rent out the empty space to smaller companies, but I don't know.

The one nice thing about this seating change is that it makes me believe that we'll be remaining hybrid WFH/Office (only one day a week) for the foreseeable future.
From a "real cost efficiency" perspective if a floor is completely empty they can slash the cleaning budget for it, reduce the air conditioning, turn off the water, shuffle IT and other stuff around to put all the good stuff on the in-use floors etc. An empty floor is much cheaper to maintain than a partially occupied floor.

From a "somewhat real cost efficiency" perspective there may be some way for the company to get government money or save on insurance if they can mark a floor as "unoccupied", or there may be a reduction in OSHA or regulatory requirements.

From a "complete bullshit cost efficiency" perspective they might be able to do weird accounting like marking them as "underutilised rental facilities" and oh look now they're a potential profit generator and the company's paper value just jumped 10% at the next stockholder meeting bonuses all around!

e: the other benefit of an empty floor is you can refurbish the building with minimal disruption by refurbishing the empty floor then shoving everyone from the next floor into it

Splicer fucked around with this message at 15:16 on May 22, 2022

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Elephant Ambush posted:

It blows my mind how uncreative and unimaginative people are

I'm working with a group of new scrum teams and we want them all to come up with their own team names. But then a manager thought it would be a good idea to have all 4 teams have names with a similar theme. This is kinda dumb because a theme isn't really necessary so as a compromise they did a poll where people could submit themes and they would be voted on. To absolutely nobody's surprise, Marvel was the theme that won. OK whatever. I've seen this a million times and at least one of the teams is guaranteed to name themselves The Avengers. Again, because that's the creativity level of corporate professionals. You might also get more than one team wanting to use Avengers so then you'll get extremely creative variants like "Finance Avengers" and "Claims Avengers", because that's much better

My favorite suggestion for a team name so far, and I swear I'm not making this up, is "Vigilante Defenders"

I guarantee there will also be nominations for team names that have nothing to do with the Marvel theme because some people just don't pay attention to anything at all. I predict someone will suggest "Transformers" (and if you ask them if they're referring to the robots they'll ask you what you're talking about) because that is the second most common team name I see after Avengers everywhere I go. Oh and for some reason the default suggestion from older women seems to be taking the first letter of each team member's name and trying to make a word out of them. This has never ever worked

I'll report back on what all the final team names are after voting is done but that will be next week at the earliest
Get this in the list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damage_Control_(comics)

e: I haven't seen no way home yet so maybe they're more well known than they used to be

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

I'm gonna check with the equipment supplier about a solution.

I'm so loving mad right now. I got everyone cakes from my trip and the head chef ate half of them because "the part timers don't work hard enough to deserve them." Motherfucker, that was not your decision.
That's straight up theft though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Desperado Bones posted:

I'm leaving my workplace and not looking back. Literally walking out.
Da Share Z0ne approves