Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

i dunno what any of this agile, gants, or scrum means... Not sure if that's good or bad for my job prospects

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Zarin posted:

Web View is God's Own View because who the gently caress prints anything anymore?

Everyone in my office, constantly, that's who!

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

gotta print those emails, too

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Son of Rodney posted:

Just... Buy your own pods :?:

Also seriously, what kind of office job doesn't provide free coffee?? I've worked a few lovely jobs so far and even those had simple drip machines, bean to cup machines are the average and ironically the most soul crushing and toxic place had a full blown automatic system with cocoa, milk powder and two kinds of beans by the time I left. I'm lucky enough to be in a secure job market for now and no coffee machine would legit be a reason not to take a job for me. Not because I'm entitled enough to make this a deal breaker but because a place like Tha tobviously doesn't give a gently caress about their employees.

Nowhere I've worked in the federal government offers coffee or literally anything complimentary. Taxpayers wouldn't stand for such an obscene waste of tax dollars! Coworkers chipped in to buy a microwave for the break room.

The pens, stationary, etc are all manufactured by blind people via some kind of government sponsored job program, which is good on a social level, but the pens themselves are crap and are widely avoided

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Saalkin posted:

Sorry everyone I lied. I got two more emails about this employee appreciate day lol. Running total is 5

let me take this moment to add that SA and GBS would like to take this moment to extend to you ,and all posters in this thread, a blessed employee appreciation day!

(there will be no extra pay or benefits. Pls return to work and stop posting immediately)

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Lazyfire posted:

With the two Megacorps I've worked for I think the issue has been their food service provider. They both use the same one and both had a pay-for-coffee policy. Both places had people raise money to get Keurigs to put in the break room/kitchenette, which was just sad.

I can one-up the coffee thing, though. When I started my previous job they had a water cooler in the break area and when the manager giving us new hires a tour of the office came across this he said "If you want to join the water club, it's two dollars a week." You could either pay to get watercooler water or you could use the city water that came out of the taps and tasted terrible. I had never seen that level of cheapness from a company in my life and I think it was a scam run by the woman who collected the dues of water club members. The water provider clearly had a contract with the company as they had passes to get into the building and could move around unsupervised, so I have no idea how or why people were paying for this.

About two years after I started our team moved to a new building with wall mounted filtered water dispensers. The woman who ran the water club in our old office was furious about this and sent out an all group (250 people at the time) e-mail stating she was reestablishing the water club in case anyone wanted "real filtered water" again. I can't think of a single person I knew who signed up for that.

lmao we also had a pay-to-play water club, as well as zero coffee

A few years after I started (and declined to join the club) someone discovered they the inside of the machine was all gross and had never been serviced or had the filter changed. They called a tech to service it that involved levying a special assement against the club members

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

AHH F/UGH posted:

Another one of the department heads at my job got COVID, the second time in maybe one month.

I'm fairly certain they're only emailing us when the department heads get it, not anyone else. Possibly because all others are not actually telling HR.

They're advising everyone who was around him for "15 cumulative minutes unmasked, or 24 hours total" to go get tested and quarantine. This dude has probably been spewing COVID air all over his entire department for days and days.

Basically my office is a hot zone and I really do not want to ever go in there again. lmao

it's good thing covid follows strict rules like "15min/24hrs". Definitely a fact based approach to a deadly airborne virus

lmao

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

People with kids usually don't take sick days for themselves because they need to save those days for when their kids are too sick to go to school, doctor's appointments, etc. Our society offers no support network for these situations, employers in the US don't give a gently caress about your family caretaker role, so better tread carefully, come to work sick, or get fired.

Those who get paid hourly often need the money and can't afford to stay home for unpaid days off.

Combined "PTO" buckets of sick + vacation days also strongly incentivize not calling out sick, because woops there goes your chance for a big trip.

People say "sue 'em" for firing you for taking a sick day, but there is zero right to sick leave in the US in the federal level. I think just a few states have mandated some. Only in limited cases, like if the sick leave is related to a disability, do you have any right to it. Otherwise you're completely at the mercy of your capitalist overlords.

It's easy to gripe about working for the government, but I'm extremely cognizant of having a relatively large amount of separate pools of sick AND vacation leave that I have an entitlement to use.

what a barbaric country

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

SkyeAuroline posted:

As someone flirting with FMLA...

That reminds me. the other barbaric thing is that even these scant few employee "rights" and "protections" can usually only be invoked through after-the-fact civil litigation.

Get fired for taking FMLA? Get fired in retaliation for complaining of sexual harassment? Get fired for some other kind of discrimination? Yes, all very illegal. With luck--and direct evidence--you'll be able to hire an attorney and recover your lost wages in a few years. If your case is outrageous, the government may be able to lend you a hand and get you those wages on a similar timeline.

no matter how long I stare at the american labor system, my mind is still constantly cracking and pinging at how few fucks our rich and powerful society gives about supporting workers (i.e. almost everyone who isn't wealthy)

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

~Coxy posted:

TPS, Six Sigma, Lean, Agile, Kanban I assume they can all be good but people just cargo-cult the name and/or ceremony.

I'm glad I don't know what the gently caress any of these are

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

CarForumPoster posted:

Theyre quality improvement processes to design or manufacture stuff except Agile/Kanban which are development/program management processes for making stuff with a lot of uncertainty and changing requirements.

I don’t get the “I’m proud to be ignorant” attitude toward processes that are hugely important to why cars last 3x longer, high quality electronics are super reliable, etc. It’s like being proud of not speaking Spanish. It’s fine you don’t but it’s dumb to be proud of it.

I'm happy for you and those cars, op, but I'm still glad I don't have to know any nerd management lingo to do my job

Oh, btw hablo español :smuggo:

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Do all goons work in the brewing industry??

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Probably figure out a way to steal or directly benefit from the party budget

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Your jobs sounds way more hands on and important than any poo poo i do. Zoom, Word, and emails baby!

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Scathach posted:

It was all verbal, unfortunately. Honestly there's a lot about my job that's like this, it's all rednecks and other conservative men. I'm looking around for a new job. It pays really well, which sucks because it's not easy to find something comparable.

Never a bad idea to secretly record work conversations, assuming that it's legal and practical where you're located.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

This is really common with government jobs. Basically there were regulations put in place after scandals about My TAX DOLLARS paying for a few senior people to hold a ten minute meeting over a weekend in Vegas, and as a result the office workers in the Fed Paperwork Factory need to all chip in out of their own pockets if they want a two pizzas in the lunchroom Christmas party.

I'm so used to being in the gov that i marvel at anyone receiving the slightest perk in their job. My office can't provide us with even a microwave or coffee machine. Employees had to pool their money for these extravagances. Mustn't squander those tax dollars!

Naturally, potlucks are the go-to solution to having zero office money for activities. "Private" coffee machines and other minor amenities also abound in people's offices, to be used by friend groups. A fee based "water club" has arisen to fund the cost of a water cooler. members only! (I drink tap water)

In defense of my management, they're subject to the same restrictions and they've bought pizza on their own dime a couple times.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

cynic posted:

"infinite leave "

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Cthulu Carl posted:

There's currently a manhunt going on because someone who was displeased with merit increases this year, uh.... Printed a Jerry Maguire "Show me the money" meme and set them out on a bunch of tables? Like, an executive wants their head and is demanding security camera footage be pulled.

Gonna go out on a limb and say if you can't handle a milquetoast meme like that, you absolutely do not have the spine to be in any kind of authority over anyone.

Lol that's such a bland act of rebellion to crack down on. They're just going to highlight the issue and encourage further mutinies

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

McGavin posted:

The National Labor Relations Board just clarified that non-disparagement clauses are retroactively illegal. Now you can spill everything about all the dumb poo poo your previous employer did as well, regardless of any NDA you signed to get severance.

This is very cool, but I'd be really careful about running out and immediately spilling the beans / talking poo poo if I had entered such an agreement. This is one of those situations where you'll probably get sued anyways and then have to fight a costly battle to maybe be proven "right". I also assume this will be on the chopping block again come the next republican administration.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

I used to investigate a lot of sexual harassment complaints, and sales jobs were always complete cesspools. The worst seemed to be car dealerships. Just horrific, dramatic personalities all mixed up in one workplace.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Invalid Validation posted:

If you aren’t locked into a state or federal job you almost always should be looking for a new job. How else do you get a raise?

At the Fed level, it's still worth it to job hop. The difference is that you have to follow the rulebook that controls promotions and hiring throughout the government (time in grade, etc). A lot of people advance by being willing to jump between agencies once they've hit the year mark or otherwise maxed out the position's pay grade. This does require some degree of transferable skills, which some fed jobs definitely lack.. also easier if you are willing to move or live in one of the job centers, like DC.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Inzombiac posted:

When COVID hit, we all got converted to remote employees and our metrics proved that our productivity went up 20%.
About a year ago they started making us come in a few days a week to "help build the team atmosphere."

I told my boss that even though we are vaxxed and boosted, my wife is extremely susceptible to lung issues and that coming in to the office is not very reasonable for me.

Guess what? I have to go in anyway, I'm the only one that masks and some dipshit brought in COVID and a bunch of us got sick. I told my boss that if he doesn't make this right and convert me to permanent remote work (which they've done for others for less serious reasons) that I will be looking for a new job.
I'm 99% sure it's not going to happen, so I'm going to turn my level of giving a poo poo down to a minimum.

Quiet quitting is real!

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

RC Cola posted:

On that note our CEO is having everyone come back to the office Tuesday-Thursday minimum starting in May because he came in for a surprise visit and was sad that there were only 6 people in the office. Someone asked him how they plan to handle the people hired as full remote since covid started, or neurodivergent people and he literally didn't know what neurotypical meant lol.

Anyways I'm excited for my exemption to be ignored and to go into the office 3 days a week to gently caress around while I do 5 days worth of work monday and friday

It would be tempting to just not go in and see how it plays out

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

I'm glad my employer avoids all of this point nonsense by giving us zero perks or incentives whatsoever.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Salami Surgeon posted:

Another great visit from my boomer coworker. Gas prices are so high because Jimmy Carter won't let us drill. Sick of all this hottest day ever BS, ya know people say we're headed for another ice age. More talk about all his retirement revenue sources, including how he's drawing Social Security soon. Somehow my suggestion that he could actually retire sooner than later turned into him telling me all the places he's been around the world with topless beaches.

I can picture him very clearly.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

When I first started my last job, I accidentally left my change of pants at home after biking to work and was left in gym shorts. I was so embarrassed and apologetic and took leave to guy buy some pants nearby.

Years later I was thoroughly at my leisure and didn't give a poo poo. I would frequently stay in workout clothes in the afternoon after hitting up the gym at lunch. The joys of having a private office with door!

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

I would work here

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

My first official day at my new job is next Monday but they've already sent me electronic forms to sign including, of course, my employment contract. Everything seems great about it! The benefits are, relatively, generous and everything seems to be a complete 180 from my previous employer. Awesome!

Except, it states my employment is at-will. Not even for a probationary period, I can be fired at any time for any legal reason for the entirety of my time being employed there. When I asked HR about whether or not this was probationary they said it was not and that they do it because California "is an at-will state."

Unless I am misinformed/ignorant here California ALLOWS you to do this lovely practice but there is nothing stopping you from NOT doing it, which feels like an important distinction. How people think this state is full of communists is wild we literally have some of the most regressive laws.

Edit: Having done digging on glassdoor it appears the company doesn't have a particularly itchy trigger finger and is generally very good to their employees but the language just irked me a bit.

Like 99% of jobs are "at will" so I wouldn't sweat it

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Orchestrated Mess posted:

(Alright this started off with like one thing but became a therapy session for myself)

My boss is like an over-the-top parody of boomers and prints everything. I mean everything. He prints out his own sent emails. If he gets an automated out of office message he prints it. Advertisements/spam? Print it. I have seen him: receive an email, immediately print it, then read it, print it again, respond, and goes to his sent folder to print out that as well. You know when someone sends out a invitation to a ton of people and a few accidentally reply all? Yeah, he prints those random responses. Do we know who the gently caress Carlos is? No. Do we need to print it? Absolutely, maybe even two copies. Where does that go? In one of the infinite piles of paper in his office.

He doesn't know how to save files. He prints things out and scans them back to himself. Because he learned how to do that about fifteen years ago and refuses to learn anything more. This has never ceased to stun me and it's hard to describe to people, but it is the only way he knows how to forward something.

He sends handwritten emails. What the gently caress is that? He prints out an email, writes a response on that printed copy, scans it back to himself, and right clicks the file and uses the email option. So every poor soul that emails him something will randomly get an email with a completely different subject line, and the following message:

He cannot remember a password. I have walked him through resetting a password over one hundred times. Partially to my own detriment, because he then changes passwords, doesn't tell anyone he did so, and then forgets it himself. Also, his passwords are about as simple as you can imagine. Security be damned, I made a spreadsheet of all of our logins and passwords. When I showed him it he said "I'm not doing that copy and paste bullshit, it's too much work."

He refuses to use URLs. So to get to, the something awful forums for example, he does the following: types yahoo into the search bar, which automatically searches google. He then clicks on yahoo (geezers loving love yahoo), then searches something awful on yahoo, clicks on the link, and then yells to the office that he doesn't know the username or password.

One time he told me his computer was full. I knew the size of his hard-drive and how little was actually on there so I went to check. I checked the properties of the drive and it said there was plenty of space left. He refused to believe me, minimized all the windows, and showed me the desktop. "See? The computer is full." He had filled up his desktop with random poo poo and believed the computer was out of space.

He's scared to minimize windows. According to him "one time he minimized something and it disappeared forever." So if he is filling out an application or something he's constantly yelling "WHAT'S THEIR ADDRESS" "WHAT'S THEIR PHONE NUMBER" and when I get tired of it and tell him we have a database, with such sincerity he explains "yeah but I already have a window open so I can't right now."

He has five browsers on his computer and refers to them all as whatever website the homepage is. Chrome = Yahoo, etc. He will look at you blankly if you say Chrome. When he got a new computer, I told him to use just one browser. Like he was checkmating me he said "but what if I need to go to more than one website?"

I am partially numbed to all of this but every once in a while have an absolute meltdown.

:stare:

I bet he makes a lot of money, as your boss

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

bee posted:

I'm speaking generally here, but in Australia if you make a complaint about a company or organisation to the relevant ombudsman, the cost to administer that complaint is passed along to that company or organisation in the form of a fine from that ombudsman regardless of who is at fault.

America is proudly free from such communistic practices. We just prefer binding arbitration

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Gotta beat this annoying coworker at her own game and start incorporating as many SA references as possible (what's her username btw?)

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

bitterandtwisted posted:

Gout flared up in a big way so I asked to WFH as the bus stop is a mile's walk. Was told to take a sick day.
Company policy is "you're sick or you're not", ie don't work at all if you're unwell. Which I think is a great policy if you have a cold, but I just wanted an accommodation for a mobility issue. I was only due in one day this week and the others I was already going to WFH with my gross swollen toe so it made no sense. I don't know why I argued so much against it as they weren't going to dock my pay.
Anyway, I won in the end and didn't take a sick day.

I got a call my granny died so I took a bereavement day instead. :(

If you deal with gout in a recurring basis (as opposed to a on off or random thing), you're likely entitled to a reasonable accommodation. What you described seems very reasonable. It could help to provide a doctor's note supporting your need to WFH when dealing with flare-ups

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

TaurusTorus posted:

Welp, there are layoff rumors, and people higher in the hierarchy have already been let go.

Anyone in this thread looking for a househusband/bangmaid? Preferably in Europe but I’m flexible:wink:

if you can get me EU citizenship, then it's a deal

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

TaurusTorus posted:

You misunderstand, I’m looking to immigrate to the glorious socialist hell that is Europe. Or really anywhere not Texas.

Deal is off then!

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

cynic posted:

I've had to go through 300+ applicants across 2 vacancies the last few weeks. Most applicants obviously didn't even read the requirements of the job and about 10% of the resumes seem to be fake (stuff like multiple names used, weird things like being at schools in Wyoming and Islamabad at the same time, weird mismatches in location and phone number and so on). It's loving tiring to spend all that time reviewing this poo poo, and then our HR department are so terrible at everything we have managed to get a grand total of 1 applicant in for interview so far.

So the job postings AND applicants are fake now? What an age we live in

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Before leaving now we have to catch the plant manager and do a Teams call where we show our screen and show that we replied to all his emails.

I have a second interview with another job next Wednesday, wish me luck!

wouldn't he know you replied to his emails... By him checking HIS email?

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

So he never reads the replies you send, just enforces that you DID reply, but in a convoluted way?

C-suite material

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

At the social security administration, one of the basic rules they tell you on day 1 is "don't look up yourself or any famous person in any of the systems". They're all automatically flagged for review and/or locked. Guess what a few people end up getting canned for every year?

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Croccers posted:

Why can't you look yourself up?

You could edit your earnings records to change your benefits, for a start, but the SSA systems control all sorts of powerful official details about you. You can change someone's legal name, place of birth, sex, work authorization, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Outrail posted:

It's also possible I've legitimately lost my mind and I'm misinterpreting reality. Congrats for driving me to therepy for the first time in my life, I guess. That's an achievement in of itself. Hopefully a professional can help me figure this out.

:toot: :shrug: :toot:

I know everyone is spazzing out over the password thing, but have you considered just chilling out and unplugging for two months like they suggested? If it's a poo poo show for the org, so be it. Take the pay and massive time off, dude