Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Haha they hired me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

MA-Horus posted:

as much as i wish to say "shut the gently caress up you're out of your element", that sort of language is frowned upon in professional environments

I used to be in industries like underground mining and now Im in an office job in a professional environment and I miss being able to tell people how I really feel.

I miss it a lot

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Serious question on HR/Medical policies: In general, if I do a medical checkup as a pre-requirement for a position and they find that I have a serious medical condition (such as heart issues, kidney issues, liver, stomach etc. etc) will that be criteria for exclusion for the position? If yes, does that mean you can't gain employment if you have a chronic or acute illness? If no, then what is the purpose of the pre employment medical checkup and what criteria flags you for exclusion (e.g., then whats the purpose of it)?

I have an annual work physical coming up and I have developed tinnitus since the last time they did the hearing booth before Covid. It’s untreatable as far as I know so I’ll let you know what happens when I fail it. I’m hoping they are still not doing the hearing test part.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

SubponticatePoster posted:

We had a pretty decently-sized (5.4) earthquake right after we got sent to work remotely due to covid. The office building itself got shut down for inspection, so anyone who was still there got to go home for the day. Those of us who were WFH in the area affected were expected to continue working, even though we were having aftershocks continuously. There are 3 other offices who could have handled the calls that came in but nope, keep working through a natural disaster! A few months later we had a freak windstorm with hurricane-force winds that knocked down thousands of trees and power for a lot of people. I was lucky, but if you were one of the unfortunate people whose power was out or your house smashed by a falling tree then you had an hour for it to come back on or you had to go into the (still technically closed) office or use personal leave.

Welcome to Utah

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I hope she’s getting paid a lot.

e:sorry about that

Lord Decimus Barnacle fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Nov 10, 2021

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Motronic posted:

A Roth IRA is also individual retirement account (that's what it stands for) not tied to an employer.

Some employers that offer a (traditional) 401(k) plan may also offer Roth 401(k) contributions as part of that plan. It's becoming more common. But it is the same account and it's a 401(k), not any kind of IRA.

My work offers a 401k, a 457b, an IRA, and a Roth IRA all within their retirement system and you can pick and choose which you want to invest your money in.
They don’t offer a Roth 401k which I wish they did because all my money would go into it.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Motronic posted:

If you're talking a SIMPLE IRA that's a different thing. If you're talking a regular trad IRA or roth IRA you really shouldn't use whatever schmuck from Edward Jones talked them into this and instead open your own completely independently from work, because these are not employer sponsored plans.

Why not? They allow you to invest in whatever you want in them.
Or if you are risk averse you can just choose the bundled small cap/large cap/retirement dates/common 401k options.

Edit: I have to point out that these are actually traditional and Roth IRAs. Not simple IRAs.

Lord Decimus Barnacle fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jan 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Lol ok