Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

My company moved to Office 365 a few weeks back and just started encouraging people use Microsoft Planner to set up action items, road maps and what not.

From 9 to 1 today I got 500 emails because someone sent out a test message from a Planner group and used the all Business Unit distribution. Somehow every response to the email was sent to the distribution, even if you didn't hit the reply all option. The first few responses were "received" or whatever and others were "I don't know why I'm on this list." It quickly devolved into 40 point bold font "STOP HITTING REPLY ALL!" and people admonishing everyone for their bad email etiquette and then some people just complaining everyone was flooding their inboxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I do like how even people working with the technology that things run on can't stop and think about hitting Reply All on a huge distribution list email for five seconds.

I'm talking with a friend who works for another company inside our mega corp and apparently it was bigger than I thought. It was apparently everyone in the US branches of the company, not my business unit. That included any contractors who had company email addresses. Well over 200k people.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Zarin posted:

This is amazing because I believe Outlook on O365 has a "step out of conversation" button specifically to be able to remove yourself from this sort of Reply All hell.

We had to go to Planner and opt out of the group conversation. I found I was signed up for 30 groups, one of which was "Taco Night" and I found out about it when a guy sent a screed about guacamole to the entire company distribution in the middle of all this. I don't know if it was by accident or on purpose or what, but I laughed at that.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Some guy responding to an email titled "need guac" posted:

This is subjective and isn't taking into the account of people who do not like guac and is further potentially insensitive to those whom may have a "guac" allergy.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Full Metal Jackass posted:

Theres many people at my job who have meetings the entire day. I'm not aware of them producing a single thing though. They are making a career out of meetings and "staying engaged." God bless em

A ton of the people I work with are in meetings from 8-4 every day and block out segments for lunch. I don't think I've actually ever walked away/hung up on a meeting where something was accomplished, but I only get invited to meetings where purchasing issues are on the agenda and those usually involve everyone asking me when things will arrive or me pleading we stop buying Nvidia 210 cards or using servermonkey.com as a source for hardware. Thankfully, this means most of my day is occupied with trying to track down ancient electronics instead of looking at metrics.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

AHH F/UGH posted:

Missed a phone call because I was taking a poo poo. They end up calling newest department member next for help. Newest department member, naturally, has no clue what to do despite working in our group for a year and a half, and calls me up and asks me how to do literally the most basic task that our department does. This is like a Taco Bell employee needing help on how to make a regular taco, or a painter needing help opening a paint can. It’s truly baffling how this person is just apparently completely fine doing absolutely nothing and learning nothing and never trying to learn how to do our job, or if they are shown once, the next time they are somehow forced to do it, do it so much time will have passed that they forgot.

Like god drat just loving grab a department support email and say in the slack group that you’ll respond to it or something. Learn how to do your job and ride the loving bike. You have been shown these things so many times, just do the god drat job. Our department is very all-hands-on-deck and we all have to be capable of doing everything but this person is totally invisible. Why in the hell did HR hire this person and put them in the most technical department in the company when they know nothing about technology? Christ

A couple jobs ago I had a coworker, Irene, who had been with the company for 35 years and had been working this one product line for the last ten, so she was considered trustworthy and knowledgeable despite being a little off. Near the end of my time there my team was losing people to other departments as everyone in the company was trying to find "safe" spots in the face of a coming purchase and restructure. One of these people had a million dollar quote out to a customer and it got accepted after she left, so Irene volunteered to handle the actual purchasing and shipping as I (the only other sales person left on the team) was already swamped and she didn't have much else going on.

Two years earlier when I was hired the company had moved from a mainframe system to SAP for quotes, inventory and orders. My experience with SAP was what got me that job. You couldn't be a salesperson in the company if you didn't use SAP. Irene was somehow different. Her product line was entirely rebuilds; the facility that did the rebuilds was responsible for ordering materials and arranging shipment, she just had to issue work orders, which required a single SAP function, where the standard process was Quote -> Sales Order ->Purchase Requisition -> Purchase Order for the rest of us. She only admitted this when she had spent three months not ordering a single thing on the most important contract we had going and she couldn't make more excuses about lead time or shipment issues. Literally broke down in tears in a meeting with the team manager. She had no idea how to actually order a part and send it to a customer. Instead of asking for help, and I was ten feet away the entire time - her husband worked in the company and managed people who ordered parts, help was available. She just pretended to be doing things all day every day and lying about her progress until the house of cards collapsed. Shortly after she admitted to loving up hard she got moved into an office because people were fleeing the company en masse and those left were sick of hearing her run her dog rescue organization from her desk all day. Fail upwards, kids.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Charles Bukowski posted:

Its not exactly motivating me to find a real job. I think I'll go back to bartending or something, nothing in an office has been fun and by the sounds of it, it could have been much worse. Maybe I'll try out for the fire department?

It's really hit or miss. It took me ten years of hopping office jobs before I found one that I actually like with a company that at least tries to do right by the employees. There's still frustrating days and things that make no sense, but it's a million times better than coming in every day knowing I was going to get overburdened and blamed for the smallest things even if I wasn't involved in whatever it was.

I have multiple friends who are FD. It's a weird job a lot of the time due to the hours and on-call stuff, but they like it and feel like they're doing something positive each time they go out.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Barudak posted:

Im not in the US, because if it was I'd be done right now.

Luckily not the UK where your employer can make you sign a 6 month notice period contract and hold you to it as happened to a coworker

My wife worked with a woman who got an offer from a different department and her manager refused to sign off on the transfer for three months. She took the new position partially because that manager was an rear end in a top hat to her and I guess he decided to ramp it up when she tried to get out.

Volmarias posted:

I cannot express how hard and how far my eyes would be rolling if anyone at work complained that I didn't use a proper salutation in an email.

It's been five minutes and I'm still mad on your behalf on principle.

I had someone get all upset I addressed them with their name and a semicolon and not a "Dear ___;" She included my entire org chart on her response stating our department needed proper email training. The entire response was in the subject line.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Zarin posted:

Edit: I was always amused by the people that had, like, Harley-Davidson logos and stuff in their email signature. WE AREN'T H-D, OR EVEN ASSOCIATED WITH THEM, WHAT ARE YOU DOOOOOOING. Somehow they never seemed to get in trouble for doing stuff like that, though. It always struck me as EXCEPTIONALLY unprofessional to use another company's logo in your (internal) emails, just wtf :psyduck: Yes, we get it, you like motorcycles. Chill brah.

I've worked with people who had poorly rendered bald eagles and bible verses in their signatures. There was one that was "NEXT TIME YOU SHOULD CALL ME, INSTEAD" in giant red font. I got an email from a supplier with a blue lives matter Punisher skull last week, which is the current king of dumb signature poo poo, though.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Outrail posted:

I'm going to start writing my emails in word, screenshot it and send the jpg. I bet I can send three of them before someone notices.

You joke, but I knew a guy who would do something like this. He would take a screenshot of his 2 monitor display, zoom it in on the thing he had issues with, save the picture and then print it out, scan it and email it with handwritten comments explaining his problems. Our scanners could email direct to people so you would just get this thing with the subject line "sent from a Xerox printer" and open up this PDF that looked like a conspiracy theorist circling things that proves we never went to the moon.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Jeza posted:

I imagine a big reason that most companies don't frequently include future co-workers in the hiring process is that it just creates a source of potential tension and introduces bias into the selection process. Not saying there's none of either of those things already, but asking people their preferred hire and then hiring someone else just makes people mad. Likewise, some engineers or whatnot may 'mysteriously' disapprove of a large number of female candidates and so on.

A few years ago I got to sit in on an interview and was not happy, but not surprised when my manager went against my recommendation. The person I wanted us to hire had ten years experience with the sales software we used, had a good grasp of our quote/sales process in the interview, lots of time working directly with vendors and customers, etc. The person we hired was a six-month-out-of-college son of a senior manager for a different department with no work experience and his qualification was "my dad talks about the company all the time."

I never got to find out if my manager's theory that "he's young and dynamic; no bad habits to break him out of!" was a valid theory because he lasted two days. The third day he came in late and quit. I was getting coffee when he walked past and told me he was leaving because the night before he got a call about a job with a different department he interviewed and was rejected for months earlier. Turns out they suddenly had an opening in the Texas office and needed him there in a week. My theory is that his dad found out who hired him and pulled strings to get him as far away from my toxic manager as possible, both to keep him from losing his job when our team was axed (it was announced that was happening like two months later) and to not owe anything to my manager. This double hosed her because it had taken six months to get the requisition for a new hire approved and we needed the help. Now that the requisition was closed it would take another six or so months to get a new one and she had failed to win any points with someone who may have hired her when her own job was gone.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Code Jockey posted:

oh god I can hear my director saying this to me, this was one of his things

why you gotta reopen wounds

It's amazing just how bad that turns out for everyone at all times and yet it is still pervasive. There are jobs that are totally great for people to start out in, or people with limited experience to really learn in, but you take such a huge risk with some random person who "may" help you out despite you acknowledging that they have no idea what they are doing or even how to do it.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Zarin posted:

That first one is hella forward-looking, don't you think? :v:

I like 2, 3, and 5 though. I'll have to keep these in mind!

No, it's important to ask that. One of my predecessors left because she had a legit breakdown and couldn't do the job anymore and no one wanted to take over her responsibilities. I would have loved to know that before finding out how hosed I was.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

We have a guy on our team that goes full on "Snake? SNAKE! SNNAAAAAKKKKEEEE!!!" if you don't respond within seconds of being asked a question, even if he isn't the one who asked. I have become incredibly good at getting off mute to say yes or no and then going right back to muted so no one has to hear my keyboard clacking away.

Zarin posted:

Your original message asked why your successor left :ssh:

I should learn to read.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

NapalmWeasel posted:

Are you answering for other people just so dude shuts up?

I'm the person responsible for ordering and then tracking every part for every program in the group, so 9/10 of the time questions are either directed at me ("when will this be on order?" "when will these be on site?" "Can we get this part we forgot to load into demand like four months ago?") or to the build team. I just have to be ready to get off mute most of the meeting just so I don't have to talk over a guy who starts talking about how you must have lost your connection if you don't respond immediately.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

AHH F/UGH posted:

He's a nice enough guy but it seems like that might have gotten him relegated to a sort of side-job where he's doing his own thing forever. A lot of the time he leaves work early and comes in late because he has to take care of his kids and so I think he was kind of put in a role where he's just boxed in now and they'll keep him on because he's a 20+ year employee but probably never really promote him or give him anything more to do than his current stamp-and-file job.

We had a whole class of these people in my previous job. For almost every function of our department you needed to have secret clearance or at the very least provisional clearance (when I was on my way out the company created a new class of employees due to how long it was taking to get people clearance so they could train while waiting for approval), but there were a few jobs you could do without it. Generally this was stuff like reviewing spec sheets or entering commercial part numbers. Those jobs were done by the long term employees who had lost their clearance for a variety of reasons, usually due to drug/DUI arrests and insane money problems. One guy had it revoked because he was going senile but the company couldn't force him to retire. It was basically a death sentence for your career as no other department would take you and you could never get to the next levels without clearance. There was some mechanism for getting it back, but most of the guys found they liked having easy work and zero pressure.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

SkyeAuroline posted:

100% would take it if it paid enough to live decently on.

If I was in their situation I would have run with it, too. This was an office job with a union (that they all hated) which made it nearly impossible to fire anyone and meant you got regular raises based on how long you had been with the company and a cost of living increase every December. Stick with the company long enough and you could top out at nearly $40 an hour ($36 something when I left). The least you would make was $18/hr. Overtime was time and a half. This is a fairly rural part of New England and this was the one huge employer around and it easily paid more than anyone else nearby, especially when you consider the department I was in required no special training and a just a High School education.

Everyone should be so lucky to find that kind of job, really. I don't blame anyone who just did the bare minimum and went home with a good paycheck. For the most part they were harmless and never really caused me any problems and by taking them off of high priority programs and projects they really had no impact besides taking up space and wandering around the office to talk about the Patriots.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Outrail posted:

People talk about managing up. That is learning how to manage your manager so your work/life is more efficient/tolerable.

I treated my previous boss like he was a goldfish and didn't have a memory that extended beyond five minutes. I just made sure to be the last person to talk to him before he went into a policy meeting so he would just parrot what I thought was right.

I somehow got away with this for several years. He wasn't a bad manager or a dumb guy; I would say he's the best boss I had before my current job, he was just not sure how certain things needed to be structured and gave me a lot of leeway because I had dealt with the system before.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I spent part of this morning correcting grammar and rewording an email one of our contractors had drafted to send to a customer. We're changing out a couple of connectors that are nearly impossible to get on short notice and increasing the length of the assembly to accommodate the replacement. The contractor clearly didn't quite understand the technical details so I clarified those and went out of my way to put a visual together from the product drawing to show what was changing and how. I put my changes in red text, lined out the areas that needed to change, etc. Boss reviewed it and took out the strike throughs but left the red text. Contractor gets the all clear from my boss to send the email and just forwarded what my boss sent; red text, "Based on input from the team" header and all to the customer and half our group.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Darkhold posted:

I know other people are quoting this it makes me wonder if this was just a design thing for awhile. My first 'real' job was a front desk clerk at a hotel and the software was some old DOS based garbage that did crap like this.

'What unexpected thing will F2 do in this screen? Check the guest in? Delete a line off their bill? Drop me to the menu screen? Let's find out' also 'Error: You can't do this until you put information in unrelated box off to the side to confirm'.

My previous job used a mainframe system introduced back in the 70's as the system of record and every function had completely different rules. The part number call up screen would switch fields if you hit tab. Hit tab on the Engineering Change screen, which looks identical, calls up the last approved change. Hit tab on the inventory screen and you bring up the print menu. I had never seen anything like it.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Cum Galleon posted:

One of our marketing guys has a MacBook and refuses to install 'micro$oft poo poo' so has to access everything via the office web portal (that doesn't count as Microsoft apparently).

I've given up arguing with him and just refer him to a random person to go and rant at. He sent our CTO an email referring to MFA as 'needy bullshit' which I quite enjoyed.

My company doesn't give you an option on the OS/hardware you get assigned. Everyone gets a specific model of Dell laptop or desktop depending on your role and it's always running Windows 10.

One of the developers who retired last year when the COVID packages came out absolutely refused to touch Microsoft stuff and had modified one of the spare toughbooks that an internal customer had declined to use to be his personal machine. Because his job was to write programs that would run on machines hooked to our company network he never set off any alarms.

We had another guy who repurposed a retired rig to be his personal email server so he didn't have to touch Outlook. You would get emails from firstname@lastname.com when he wanted something or had a problem. Part of our team's overhead budget each year had been keeping these two things going so the developers didn't have to use Windows.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Ziv Zulander posted:

Just do the Star Trek thing and give estimates that are longer than you think it’ll actually take

I've done that. The immediate reaction is "can we pay to expedite?" The answer is always no, the parts always show up on time. They are always not needed for another two months anyways.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Marmaduke! posted:

I've supported our hiring process over the years and I've seen the two ends of the scale on CVs: boomers emphasising the fact that they're divorced with no kids, and graduates listing a half dozen jobs from McDonald's to multiple positions they were furloughed from last year. Which is fine, it'll be good for our new starter when she can remove McDonald's from her CV and add her first job on a pharmaceutical company with us.

As I've found out recently, Boomers who never had to create a resume in their lives are also the same people who won't Google "how to format a resume" and just assume you need to know they maintain a wood stove when they apply to sales jobs. They will also then fight anyone to tells them to remove it for inexplicable reasons.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Zarin posted:

drat, I've never worked anywhere with free coffee. The closest I got was the shop floor, where one of the old-timers maintained a donation jar to keep the cabinet stocked.

I just drink a liter of cold brew a day that I bring in myself :shrug:
The two poorest companies I've ever worked for had free coffee, the two richest made everyone pay. I got sick of the crap quality stuff I could buy and ended up bringing in a French Press at my previous job because there was free boiling hot water. Weirdly, that kicked off a French Press trend in the office despite me not being super well integrated into the office.

12 oz coffee was $4, I don't blame anyone for following my lead.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Son of Rodney posted:

Just... Buy your own pods :?:

Also seriously, what kind of office job doesn't provide free coffee?? I've worked a few lovely jobs so far and even those had simple drip machines, bean to cup machines are the average and ironically the most soul crushing and toxic place had a full blown automatic system with cocoa, milk powder and two kinds of beans by the time I left. I'm lucky enough to be in a secure job market for now and no coffee machine would legit be a reason not to take a job for me. Not because I'm entitled enough to make this a deal breaker but because a place like Tha tobviously doesn't give a gently caress about their employees.

With the two Megacorps I've worked for I think the issue has been their food service provider. They both use the same one and both had a pay-for-coffee policy. Both places had people raise money to get Keurigs to put in the break room/kitchenette, which was just sad.

I can one-up the coffee thing, though. When I started my previous job they had a water cooler in the break area and when the manager giving us new hires a tour of the office came across this he said "If you want to join the water club, it's two dollars a week." You could either pay to get watercooler water or you could use the city water that came out of the taps and tasted terrible. I had never seen that level of cheapness from a company in my life and I think it was a scam run by the woman who collected the dues of water club members. The water provider clearly had a contract with the company as they had passes to get into the building and could move around unsupervised, so I have no idea how or why people were paying for this.

About two years after I started our team moved to a new building with wall mounted filtered water dispensers. The woman who ran the water club in our old office was furious about this and sent out an all group (250 people at the time) e-mail stating she was reestablishing the water club in case anyone wanted "real filtered water" again. I can't think of a single person I knew who signed up for that.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Steakandchips posted:

2 dollars a week x 250 people x 4 weeks a month x 12 months a year.
$24000 in water per annum.

Even if she spent 50% (unlikely) on the water, she still got $12000, untaxed, for next to no work.

Of course this rear end in a top hat was angry they took away her ill gotten gains.

So far as I knew there were never more than 50 people signed up. You can rent the cooler stands for $4 a month/ea. and each bottle was under $10 (just a quick Google check, I have no clue what they were paying) so she was at most hauling in $5200 a year from water club fees and probably spending no more than $2000 a year. I'm almost positive she instituted this whole thing before there was a water service and just kept collecting like nothing had changed after the company stepped in to pay for it.

VVVV All the time, mostly on Saturdays because you had a lower chance to get caught as the people who just walked around looking for a conversation weren't getting overtime. The weirdest thing about the company was always that extremely minor things like taking your lunch break at 12 instead of 11:30 (yes, a department rule) could get you in trouble, but spending all day on Amazon looking at knives or sleeping at your desk (or both!) was fine and no one would bother you.

Lazyfire fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Mar 5, 2021

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Play posted:

Also the only loving appreciation I'm interested in is more money. That's how you appreciate me

My company heard that loud and clear and despite profits being down 63% year over year decided to reinstitute both raises and bonuses. Our sister company that is losing money did the same to avoid having anyone with talent from going elsewhere.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

bus hustler posted:

They vary mightily by state, that's the only thing I can say. In my state vacation time is considered "earned wages" and while they can cap it (this must be communicated up front, but they can do it) they do have to pay you out for any unused time when you quit or are fired.

Sick time and Generic PTO pools do not fall under "earned wages," which is why many companies - especially in tech/biotech here are moving to "unlimited PTO days" or a combined pool. It saves them.*

I work in higher education and get a full 4 weeks vacation (after 10 years, it used to be 3) and I have months of unusable sick time like a healthy teacher. But I am losing so much money salary wise. I am interviewing for a private sector job that's a -step down in title- and a 50% raise. The time off is sort of nice (we are like everyone else understaffed & it's hard to take), especially the guaranteed holidays. But there are plenty of fields with federal holidays, like anything connected to finance.

*There are also rules, I don't know if they are internal policies or State policies, regarding keeping employee vacation day money on hand, so not having to do this likely saves them a bunch of HR/accounting.

US PTO is stupid complex. I've worked jobs where it was considered part of your compensation and so unused time that didn't roll over was paid out, but also worked places where it just disappears and you don't get anything for not using it. I've also had a policy where you got paid for the unused time and could roll over a number of hours of unused vacation to the next year and take them as unpaid time off. At that job you earned vacation hours based on how many hours you worked up to whatever your limit was starting January 1st and ending December 31st, rather than having them allocated at the start of the year. The personal days were on a different calendar where you got them allocated in May and you could roll over a set number of days up to a limit based on seniority. Some managers stipulated that you couldn't use personal days to extend a vacation; to them they were only for sickness, taking care of relatives, doctor's appointments, etc.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Batterypowered7 posted:

We have a "recognition" program where you're supposed to thank another employee for doing something good (helping you out on a task, cross-team collaboration, fixing incidents, etc). If their boss likes it, they give the recognition a "boost", which means they get $25 added to a gift card. They do this in lieu of giving people decent raises. Those [decent raises] only happen when you move up an employee level, otherwise it's just a simple 2-4% bump.

The problem is that the recognitions also tie into your yearly bonus. You can get an additional 5-10% (if your bonus is 10%, then you can get 10.5-11%), but that additional amount only goes to a handful of employees under each director, who could easily have hundreds of employees in their organization, and is.largely determined by who got the most recognitions.

My company does the recognition program thing as well, but there's multiple tiers. You can nominate someone for an award which is $25 in corporate store credit that is more a way of making someone's manager aware that person was helpful enough to navigate the award system. Then you have the "level" awards that are now just money added to your check. A few years ago it could be money or the team giving the award could decide on a gift for the recipient from a list of things like Apple Watches, Hoverboards, tablets, cameras and other tech stuff. I don't think it ever tied into the budget for bonuses because or company didn't offer them at all last year, but I still got a few hundred dollars in level awards.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Outrail posted:

I should not have to say this to anyone much less someone who's run several large and small businesses. But. Do not send documents marked 'draft' to clients and partner organizations without asking me. This especially applies when the document is clearly half finished, unformatted, and full of random photographs that mean nothing. I mean holy poo poo dude.

poo poo like this is why I had to stop providing drafts of anything, there's always someone who won't think and will just hit the forward button and, let's say, reveal the company's costs for products to the customer who didn't know what kind of markup they were getting.

The last time I marked up an email for someone in this job they just sent it along with the corrections I made still in red. I just don't understand how people get this way.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Pekinduck posted:

There has to be a company somewhere where this is just a formal absence reason.

I think it is fairly standard now, but my previous employer had a policy that you couldn't be fired for missing time to attend rehab programs, whether court ordered or voluntary. The number of severe alcoholics and opioid addicts that worked there and swore they didn't have a problem suggested the "court ordered" part was made use of more than the "voluntary."

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Gin_Rummy posted:

Lol apparently the new thing at my work is to just not read emails.

Sent out a nice write up and literally highlighted in yellow something to the effect of "IMPORTANT, RELEVANT INFORMATION HERE" and the immediate response was "Looks good. What about [important relevant information]?"

We had a contractor who was proud he didn't read emails. He would tell our coworkers in meetings that he only checked his inbox once in the morning and once before he left and if you needed him to do something you had to call him. Problem is that, as a buyer (and my only backup), all our quotes were communicated through email and our company policy is to keep a paper trail. It took almost six months to clean up his mess when he was laid off due to COVID staff reductions.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Oh poo poo was he my buyer?

I'm glad if so. Cancelled an order on a part without asking if that was cool.

If you couldn't identify me from that story you don't work with me.

For the record, he would be the kind of guy to cancel orders without telling anyone, and also without lining up replacements. Part of what made my life hell for the opening weeks of work from home was going line by line through a giant (300 plus) line bill of material and figuring out which parts he did and didn't order because he would use one order number to claim credit for dozens of lines he planned to order soon in our demand management system. It was probably more work to maintain the illusion he was doing something than to actually do something.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Zarin posted:

I'm convinced that HR just drives real slow down Frat Row and anyone still awake with the keg on the front lawn at 6am on Saturday morning gets an invitation to interview for a buyer role.

I asked my buddy if that was true once (he was a buyer at the time) and he said it wouldn't surprise him lol

It depends on where you land sometimes. I had someone explain to me what their job as a Buyer in mainline supply chain was once: all the suppliers and prices are determined for you, the schedule you submit orders is known and other people take care of tracking the order once it's submitted. All you have to do is create the purchase order along with the company required paperwork. Then they offered me a job doing that if I ever got bored of being the buyer for my group.

In my group I am responsible for getting quotes, determining the vendor, actually ordering parts and tracking delivery. Plus managing vendors, getting agreements and contracts in place and reviewing engineering drawings for manufacturability. The company actually tracks me as an Engineer rather than a Buyer because of all that. I would go crazy if all I did was issue orders all day.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Batterypowered7 posted:

Dumb poo poo my work does:

*In a very Ben Stein voice* "We believe in working from work and discourage working from home unless absolutely necessary."

We've been WFH since March of last year and projects have been consistently delivered on time while employee morale has been through the roof, so of course they've slated an end to WFH come July. An old manager of mine is hopeful that they might offer permanent WFH, so I'm crossing my fingers and hoping it happens.

The megacorp I work for rolled out three different surveys about if people wanted to continue working from home forever. The resounding majority of people just don't want to go back to being in the office full time. I think corporate was trying to get a different response over time because they own a lot of the real estate they occupy and have deals with the state/local governments around tax rates based on on-site employee numbers. The group I'm in basically worked remote all the time, it was usually just my manager and I in our actual office any given day, and his commute was 4 minutes while mine was at least an hour and a half; there hasn't been a ton that's changed besides me not being pissed at other drivers every day.

The last time we heard anything about return to work most people were saying 1 to 2 days in the office per week, and then only if important face-to-face meetings or customer visits happening. With the vaccine rolling out now I'm waiting to see what the final policy will be. My manager has a desk set aside for me if I want to come back, but he's said no one will be required to work on site if they don't want to.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Outrail posted:

I think I read Trump introduced some tax rules back in 2017 that would prevent people from claiming home office costs. Don't quote me on that tho

The 2017 tax bill is a loving mess and I'm not entirely sure how things will shake out for people claiming home office expenses. The standard deduction is, most likely, high enough that buying office furniture and claiming some services you pay for out of pocket like internet access won't actually enough to your burden that it is worth itemizing your deductions. Even when my wife's student loans were at their highest and our mortgage was new it didn't make sense to go beyond the standard deduction.

Interestingly, the bill also didn't provide a flat reduction to everyone's tax rates. People making below I think $75k will see their taxes start to go up next year because the reduction was actually moratorium with a phased re-introduction that ends in like 2024, so in a few years if Congress doesn't act whatever benefits the average person saw will go away while the rich will continue to reap the benefits of the bill for the foreseeable future.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

ultrafilter posted:

Or if they do notice, they'll blame it on the current president.

There's a very high chance that the dates for the increases were chosen specifically for this purpose if republicans didn't control the government at the time.

The entire thing is completely screwed, I am dreading doing our taxes this year because my wife started a master's program paid for by the company and from what I recall that may actually count as taxable income now.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Marmaduke! posted:

The penultimate day of project management training today. Over the weekend they fired the trainer. The emphasis of today's training is to plan for success...

The longer I've been around the more I believe that there is no such thing as planning for success because someone will always find a way to completely screw up everything, even if they weren't trying to do so.

titty_baby_ posted:

Yeah gf is doing her masters and made some less then honest choices on TurboTax to offset this

I'm dreading opening up my wife's W2 and seeing the damage the MBA program does to our taxes. Under no circumstances will we end up in the next tax bracket up, but I expect we'll probably have to pay this year because our returns have been extremely low the last few years anyway.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

poisonpill posted:

Also, the dude who invented this truly, absolutely believes that paper is good for the environment because it acts as a carbon sink

He's also never seen or heard of a paper mill, or think they are water powered and don't use heavy chemicals or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Steakandchips posted:

Rookie mistake, he should have printed them in "confidential mode" so they only actually come out of the printer when you beep boop it in person.

My last job made it required to print out in secure mode, so you had to scan your badge to get whatever you sent to print. This didn't sit well with the "I'm too busy to wait for the Sports Illustrated article to print so I can take a 4 hour poo poo" crowd and someone figured out how to work around the badge requirement. Multiple department meetings were had about the inappropriate use of printers and the fact that we were a secure facility and some of the things being printed were actually classified and couldn't be left around. That, of course, did nothing to deter people from working around the secure print system.