Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Volmarias posted:

We all got a $1000 allowance, with the stipulation that anything we expense to it is in fact company property and must eventually be returned. I assume this is a bluff, but more likely they'll just dock the last paycheck and dare you to figure out how the gently caress to return it instead.

My company just told everyone to take what the wanted from their desk and the asset management team just went "Welp, we ain't seeing that poo poo again" and ordered replacement monitors and docks for after the remodel is done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

~Coxy posted:

Good, it was probably overdue for replacement anyway.

(I have been in not just one but two companies that moved into shiny brand new digs but for some perverse reason packed up and shipped all their 10 year old 1680x1050 monitors with aged CCFL backlights for reuse.)

Yeah, there were definitely some lovely monitors in the environment when I started in 2019 and Asset Management religiously tracked them. Then right at the end of 2019 we got bought by a different company and we found out they consider monitors to be in the same category as keyboards and mice (the "LOL why would we track that piddly poo poo?" category). Makes our job easier, at least!

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Outrail posted:

That's a good one. Yoink.

I wish past employers had asked: How much sketchy bullshit are you willing to be a party to before notifying the authorities?

Is the only acceptable answer for the interviewee to get their phone out then and there before asking for clarification as to the category of sketchy bullshit so they contact the right authorities?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Sitting on a meeting about migrating 4200 users to a new domain.

Half our applications don't work on the new domain.

Leadership has set the deadline to get everyone migrated as the end of June.

Lmao.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Tetramin posted:

I mean, maybe they’re talking down to you, but IT departments want to have standards for a reason, and they certainly don’t want to keep old legacy setups around for just 1 or 2 users because eventually that grows into some shadow IT type of poo poo where eventually there’s 20 people expecting support on systems that should no longer be in use.

Yeah, rightly or wrongly a user telling me “[NEW THING] doesn’t mesh well with my workflow" is pretty much a red flag that says "I'm just don't want to change and that a You problem, not a Me problem" and... Sucks for you, but too bad?

We killed the old domain mailboxes in February and axed personal network drives in favor of One Drive in March and users will STILL put in tickets because they can't access a five year-old email they kept all their customer information on or demand I recover the Excel spreadsheet that had all their old passwords from their personal drive that no longer exists.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Splode posted:

The problem with almost every IT department on earth is that they do not understand that they are a support department, like accounting. They exist purely to help everyone who actually does the work that is the reason the organisation exists. "You need to change to suit us" is an unacceptable attitude in that context and yet it is somehow normal.

This is why everyone hates IT!

In my own IT experience, the attitude that IT "exist purely to help everyone who actually does the work that is the reason the organisation exists" results in IT getting trampled by know-nothing Sales dipshits that circumvent every process and security measure because "do you know how much money I make this company?" And it's never "you need to change to suit us", it's "you need to change to suit the executive whose pet project this is and who never bothered to get our input and refuses to roll anything back but is requiring us to be the messenger."

Turn out the company that bought us and is rushing the domain migration doesn't give admin accounts to normal users, so of the 400 or so on our side that have admin accounts, about half are being granted the elevated rights the new domain uses, and the rest aren't.

And the executive decision was to not inform them of this, so when they migrate and find out they now longer have an admin account to use with their workflows... LOL, oh well! We've adopted the game plan of "play dumb, help the user put in a request we know will be rejected, and let THAT team explain the new policy, since it's their policy."

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

We're about to start opening the office after closing last March because plague, and our boss's boss decided the best way to convince us to go back in was to acknowledge how effectively we worked remotely... then tell us that it's made a case with some unnamed "they" that we can be safely offshored, so we'd better get back into the office! :pseudo:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Lol, I already made sure my resume was up to date when the pandemic started.

I'll probably start looking to punch out soon because working from home turns out to have been a net benefit to my mental health and I'd like that to continue.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

We switched to a new ticketing system recently and it has a tendency to double-count incident ticket closures (first when we resolve them, then a week later when the system closes them). Everyone up to at least two layers of management know this and we've all reached an unspoken agreement that this is fine because it pads all our numbers.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Have you considered getting a position with your company's competition?

I mean, sure, not selling now is a good solution, but it's short term. Eventually those customers will try to buy.

But if you start selling for a competitor, build a rapport with your customers, your company can not sell to them on much longer time scales!

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

We've been having on and off issues with OneDrive all week and have been getting flooded with tickets while also getting flooded with tickets about our brick stupid domain migration project. Tuesday, it got decided to open a bridge about the OneDrive issues, but... the incident management team never bothered. And now the dude who can open the bridge is stonewalling because, despite being involved in the conversations we've had about the issues all week, he suddenly "Doesn't know what the issue is" and "Well, everything's fine on my end"... :negative:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Switched to a new company wide site for time-keeping that.... Takes over five minutes to even log in because everything about it runs like dog poo poo. Nice.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Local Weather posted:

At my last job they went through this whole big project to implement a corporate-wide timekeeping system, told everyone the old systems were done and going away, had a big kickoff only to have the system be super slow, horrible, and unresponsive to everyone outside of the US (which was a non-trivial number of people). They tried to make us use it but people just ignored it and kept using the old systems until they finally had to go back to the drawing board. When I was laid off they still didn't have an answer after over two years.

This one got implemented because our previous on used Flash so since December we've had to use Harman Browser in order to get to it.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Facilities went through the building and removed all the trashcans except for those in the restrooms and break rooms... I guess as a Covid measure??? :psyduck:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

And yet as part of the remodel, everyone got sit/stand desks, and the break rooms all have Keurigs in addition to regular coffee makers...

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

She wanted to gently caress you and your coworker.

I was trying to think how the hell talking about that would help you get laid, but I guess "Yo, this poo poo got blown out by a tiny human skull. Just stretched like nobody's business, except you, my employees I am conveying this information to unprompted" works as a low-key humble rag if you think one or both employees are hung and have no sense of boundaries???

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I have an easy 20 minute commute on all surface streets, no highways and I loving hate it. I've had over a year of starting most of my days by rolling out of bed, putting on sweatpants or shorts, walking the dog, then watching cartoons for an hour before work and ending the day by shutting down the work PC and immediately taking the dog for a walk and I don't want to go back to even a five minute drive with no traffic.

If I want to "decompress" I can do that on the toilet for my post-dinner poo poo.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

My current immediate manager I'd ex-Navy and chill as gently caress. One of my co-workers is an Ex-Marine who can get a little... Particular about things, but I think that's just who he is. They both got medically discharged because of asthma, so maybe there's a correlation?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Imagined posted:

The easy test for terminal troopbrain in this case is to refer to him as an "ex-marine" in his presence and see what happens

Yeah, he doesn't care.

The man knows how to knifehand like a motherfucker, though.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

SkyeAuroline posted:

That's some of the vibe I was picking up on as well.

I absolutely understand why some people might have circumstances or even personality types that might make working from home challenging or impossible, but I have drunk from the WFH chalice and I'll be kicking and screaming when I get dragged back to the office for 40 plus hours of my life per week

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

mayday mayday posted:

Last month our marketing team got into an argument about whether the word “littoral” was appropriate for children.

What were the arguments against using 'littoral'?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I was in the office today and the guy on our team who is responsible for providing PC support for the executives came running down from Executive Country in a panic because 7 executives came to him through various means because their domain migrations had been mangled because apparently they can't read the instructions (No one does so we have about 30% of the migrations generating incident tickets and completely burying us).

Apparently they complained up our chain, a manager several stages above us contact executive support guy to ask "What's wrong with this amazing domain migration process that we never consulted any of you on?", executive support guy gave him both barrels...

... The domain migration is now on hold. :hmbol:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

boar guy posted:

a thousand business cards in the most obnoxious design possible, for me, an employee that works off site, doesn't attend trade shows, and doesn't meet vendors or clients

this is what happens when your VP of marketing last went to college in 1994

How big are they? Maybe you got some free coasters?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Imagined posted:

I intentionally leave my phone number off of my email signature because, if I'm emailing you, I don't want you to call me. In fact, I'd rather no one ever call me for any reason ever. My voicemail greeting says my email address three times and spells it twice. Way too many loving boomers see a phone # and instantly call, then leave a voicemail that just says, "Hey this is So N. So, call me."

I don't have a phone number on my sig because we got rid of our phones pre-COVID in favor of some softphone solution and my account never got enable on it for me to set up so I just plain don't have a phone number because I can't be bothered enough to get it fixed, LOL.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Someone broke down the failure states of the domain migration that's now paused...

Lol, they almost all boil down to the fact that whoever designed the interface for the user DOESN'T AUTHENTICATE THEIR PASSWORD, it just accepts what they put in and then caches that as their credentials...

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Boss's boss is now demanding we be in the office 5 days a week. It should be pointed out that boss's boss is fulltime remote while being as far from an office as some of us are from this office.

So now my boss's official policy is "you have to be here five days a week... But if you have something up, I can let you work from home one day a week. And if that happens once a week... Oh well." With a lot of winking, nudging, and 'hey don't tell anyone outside of this team'.

He's a good guy.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Spatial posted:

Having a good manager rules. At the end of a big project my last manager gave the entire team a week off and told us not to tell anyone, just leave the computers on and logged in. Five extra vacation days baby, now that's a bonus.

When I first started he took me aside and gave me this spiel about how the company doesn't care about people, so gently caress the company and I should bleed them for everything I can get. He helped me get plenty of that blood too. What a star lol

About five minutes after he established this new 'policy', he hooked up an SNES Classic to a projector pointed at our back wall and started playing while joining another meeting, lol

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

manpurse posted:

All covid, where we have been successfully working from home:
"Going forward we will have a work from anywhere program, a hybrid system where you can work between 0-5 days at home!"

Today:

"Hey guys,

Just got off a monthly meeting with senior management and I asked what our plans where for coming back to the office.

They said that we should all be planning to be back to office full time in September. No hybrid at this time."

Lol, the executives who work 100% remote because they're too important and busy to be expected to commute one WHOLE HOUR and are expecting a lot of us to just go back to being in the office five days a week have been getting scorched in our surveys and townhalls.

It won't change anything but it feels good.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

WonkyBob posted:

Maybe the issue was not enough white guys (straight or otherwise). I've had a few comments over my far too many years in IT along the lines of "I'd prefer to deal with you instead of your colleague... No it has nothing to do with her being Indian...". I'm very effeminate BUT am a white guy.

We get that a lot about our service desk in India. There's definitely a big element of racism, but in our case, the service desk reps are hired as just warm bodies, get no training, and ar therefore zero help most of the time and the rest of the time they fill tickets with completely wrong information, so it's hard to blame someone for rather dealing with us.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

WonkyBob posted:

Some of the best external devs I've worked with were Indian. They were able to support the systems they'd designed for us amazingly well. The UK team who were project leading had to sit on our support requests until the Indian team came online because they had no idea how any of it actually worked.

I honestly think whoever runs our service desk call centers has "Do the opposite of what the caller asks for" as one of the only pieces of training they give new hires there.

They want a ticket? Don't put one in. Or even better, just hang up.

User needs password for App X? Reset password for App Y and don't tell them.

User not getting emails? Write up notes for a failed domain migration, and send it to a support team that handles neither email nor migrations.

We've been through service desks in India, Poland, and the Philippines since I started in 2019. And they've ALL done this.

We also seem to hire people incapable of following basic directions outside of a few teams, regardless of location. Our current domain migration script puts a big, red "DON'T DO ANYTHING WHILE THIS RUNS" on the screen, and yet....

Re-opening next week is going to be fun...

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Lol, the only thing that keeps me from just walking out is that my team is actually decent and bouncing would screw them over even more than we are already.

Also my boss brings in REALLY good chilli and brisket

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

We're re-opening the office Monday and as part of it, we have to spend the entire week wandering the building in special shirts so users can tell us about ALL the poo poo that's been broken for over a year, but they never bothered to call in and it's URGENT now!

Also they waited too long to order the shirts so they got shipped to out boss's house and he'll have to bring them in for us to change into Monday because of course. Also we'll probably only get one instead of the three he requested for each of us.

Oh, and this is all during the domain migration and the SAME DAY they're rolling out a new sign-in method for our computers...

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Hahahah oh no! which team mandated the special shirts?

gently caress if I know, but on the "welcome back" packets, they have a picture of some balding idiot in one and a big "if you need help, look for someone in this shirt!" Like you might tell a small child in an amusement park.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Bishopvi posted:

Seems to me like your business got bought by another company and no one decided to tell you all about the reorganization.

We got bought back in August 2019, but the integration got put largely on hold for the pandemic.

They just bought another company and have moved on to telling them how loved and treasured they are while locking us in the basement.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

During a lull in the re-opening 'festivities' (mostly giving out headphones then telling people we're out of headphones), the boss said that senior leadership has been having emergency meetings attrition is apparently approaching Verdun levels. We're all shocked that telling a few hundred people who have been doing their jobs remote they have a couple weeks before they'll probably have to start coming back in, and oh yeah, you now have to book a desk in advance if you want a place to sit might... Lead to people loving off to other companies?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

ClothHat posted:

Cool man, enjoy your upcoming pizza party!

The ice cream is tomorrow.

Because it was raining today.

I don't understand why everyone's quitting :rolleyes:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Outrail posted:

Wait,so you have to come in,but you also need to book a desk? What happens if you don't book a desk? Stand in the corner?

Can you automate a desk requested to go out at 00:01 for the best desk every day?

I have no idea, our desks aren't in the booking system because we have our own area with a fridge and microwave. We're also pushing for a couch because anytime we leave we get hounded by people asking about random IT bullshit because no one wants to call our help desk.

Well, I don't, because even before covid, I developed a thinking face that I guess looks like I'm planning a spree shooting, even if I'm thinking about my dog running in his sleep.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

My team hasn't had any turnover ( except for the guy who's mutter about needing to go look at an issue and would go leave for a beer and who also broke his hand punching an exterior door, but he left before Covid).

I think we all got PTSD'd by other jobs and all stumbled on a team that actually works well together and gas a competent manager so we're hanging on till the bitter end. I feel like there's also an unspoken "suicide pact" where if one of us quits we all do because gently caress it, we have zero loyalty to this company, but actually like each other enough.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

SubnormalityStairs posted:

*Shortly after COVID started, anybody who could WFH started WFH. This was great, but they got rid of the cafeteria staff and replaced all the coffee with a single coffee machine. This coffee machine can serve up a single cup of coffee in about a minute. It's good coffee, and this is fine with 1/10th of our workforce in the office, but now they're talking about bringing everybody back. This is not going to work with 400 people in the building.
    *They're not bringing back any of the cafeteria staff. Instead, they installed a lovely self-serve system with junk food and truck-stop sandwiches. Which are overpriced. And not enough for our 400 people. There are no other food options within walking distance as we're in an industrial park.

Of the dumb things my company has done during covid (not including writing off a 10 year lease on a second site in our area because who could have seen this coming in 2019?), they at least kept one person at the cafeteria and kept stocking one of the self-serve vending areas. I dunno if it was an official policy or if she just took charge, but Mondays the 20-30 people in the building could have gotten a free lunch and she basically threw the menu out the window so you could ask her to make anything you wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

If my company wants to pay someone to listen to me say "what the gently caress is wrong with this idiot" "how are you this loving stupid" and then apologizing to my dog if I raise my voice too much, then more power to that dude, you really figured out a good gig.