Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

can't say I had that on my 2021 bingo card.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Jakabite posted:

Given that we are not getting to a point when COVID is eliminated entirely any time soon, when do perma-lockdown goons want to start looking at opening up? Like honestly quite a few of you seem to be perfectly happy and find ridiculous the idea that anyone might at some point in the near future want to resume something like normal life. And yes, sorry to say it, but the vast majority of people including me understand that opening up will mean some deaths that wouldn’t happen if we stayed in lockdown until next year. To the vast majority that’s a price worth paying. I’m not saying open up now obviously, but there comes a point when you have to and the fact that that means that some people will die is just the nature of viruses.

Seriously, if you don’t want to open up when the vast majority of the adult population is vaccinated, when do you want to open up? You can’t say ‘when there’s no COVID’ at this point either - that would have been smart at the start or even up til a few months ago but now that would take us through to May at the earliest, and COVID isn’t going away from the world. Ever. And we can’t quarantine new arrivals indefinitely or close borders indefinitely given that we’re the second largest travel hub in Europe, if not the largest. So we get to say, June, there’s zero covid(which I’m honestly doubtful is possible at this point particularly given the Tories), then what? Indefinite arrival quarantine?

As a lot of people were saying at the start of this, it’ll eventually become like the flu. A manageable death toll of X thousand per year. That’s the reality of it and indefinitely locking down anyway is pointless and ultimately detrimental unless you’re a goon who doesn’t go outside anyway.

very cool that being afraid to die of a deadly virus that you are susceptible to is now "actually goons just like to stay indoors all day thats why they want the lockdown!!!!!"

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Jakabite posted:

Yes because I'm exclusively or indeed at all talking about people who are susceptible.

i am susceptible, do you think that people like me's lives are worth risking so you can go on your holidays? is there a specific number you're willing to give up to go back to normal?

hell, at that point why bother locking down in the first place? if we're never gona get to zero covid then those who died simply should've been built different and some people are going to die regardless and god forbid we stop being a travel hub.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Jakabite posted:

Yes because I'm exclusively or indeed at all talking about people who are susceptible.

E: And if you aren't picking up on the strong 'well I would happily stay inside forever unlike those selfish bastards who want to eventually go back to -scoffs- their PACKAGE HOLIDAYS and, eugh, CINEMAs' vibe then I just dunno what to say.

have you considered that vibe is actually "wow people would genuinely rather have hundreds of thousands more people die so they can go on those package holidays"

personally i was a pretty big fan of the cinema in the before times.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Jakabite posted:

Let me turn that around. Do you think that no one should ever be able to go on holiday again, or go to a pub again, so that your risk doesn't increase at all? Let me be clear that I'm not arguing against zero COVID or continuing lockdown for a good few months longer - I'm arguing against the thread idea that no increase in risk at all is acceptable to allow people to return to normal.

E: I also find the idea that lockdown isn't killing people and doesn't carry it's own risks pretty annoying cos my dad killed himself during lockdown.

E2: In what world am I arguing for a situation where hundreds of thousands more people die?? I'm saying that there should be a balance of risks and discussion around that outside of 'lockdown until there are literally no more deaths of COVID ever and even one is unacceptable' is actually fine and healthy.

the problem is that you're arguing that zero covid is impossible when it really isn't all it would take is the bare minimum effort that was taken in dozens of countries including major travel hubs like hong kong, I don't think the world should stop just to keep me alive but it'd be nice if they put in as much effort as possible to reach that point.

I'm sorry to hear about your dad, I've personally stuggled with mental health significantly before lockdown and plenty during and I understand that it is extremely difficult for people but I live in genuine fear that any day now the goverment will decide that covid is over and decide that at risk young people just aren't worth it because well if you're in your 20's you should just be okay and while that is unlikely, it is the tories.

I think it's very harsh to categorise this thread, goony as it is as a bunch of shut ins who never want lockdown to end though and I don't think anyone is arguing that nobody should die from covid ever, just that we actually take the virus seriously which will also probably not happen.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

crispix posted:

that's actually me, i've had the time of my life this last year

suddenly everyone else is living as i always have (due to mental illness) and suddenly i can relate to everyone because they're just staying in of a weekend and going for walks by themselves too

sometimes i still wonder if it's all a dream :allears:

atleast somebody is enjoying it, all I've done is clear out my steam backlog and watch all those prestige tv shows everyone told me to watch.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

stev posted:

This sounds wonderful. I mostly sit staring at the backlog trying to pick something to play/watch before going back to FF14.

I basically worked my way down alphabetically and most of the games as it turns out were pretty bad but some of them made me feel very dumb for not playing earlier.

I honestly wish I'd have subbed to ff14 at the start of the pandemic but I kept thinking we'd get out poo poo together any day now.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

lmao we are never ever going to be free from this virus.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Jewell

do not talk to the police.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

if i were trying to stop kids doing drugs i would just show them that all the nazis were on meth so if you do meth you will end up losing world war 3 and you don't want to become a loser do you?

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

forkboy84 posted:

An update on my old man, since people were kind enough to show concern: he's still got to have a COVID test just in case but the doctors are confident it's "just" a standard chest infection type of deal & so he's been loaded up on steroids & antibiotics & hopefully that'll kick his lungs into gear. Which is not the worst diagnosis all things concerned. Not quite prepared mentally to bury him yet.

Lung stuff is the absolute worst so I wish you guys the best on that one.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

ice T is such a powerful poster.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

OwlFancier posted:

I wonder if any labour leader could possibly have done more to legitimize corbyn's leadership than this freak getting investigated by the electoral commission for fiddling his campaign funds and completely failing to do even the slightest amount of opposition to anything. Say what you want about corbyn but at least you knew he cared about something.

the labour right will simply declare that starmer is too left wing and the only answer is to have tommy robinson as labour leader

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

the games forum is about proving you are the apex gamer while sports teams are a tribal activity where you and many other sports fans laugh at other sports teams for being bad.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

forkboy84 posted:

Or in the case of Detroit Lions fans, laugh at how bad your own sports team is.

this year is our year!

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

therattle posted:

It's a bit like what I have been doing: picking fights with people on the internet.

have you heard of the website twitter, it sounds like it would appeal to you.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

ThomasPaine posted:

Wait there are people who have drank less over lockdown???

I was a pretty regular drinker pre lockdown and now I haven't had a drink in like 14 months.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

https://twitter.com/FreeNorthNow/status/1364229790673338371

:eyepop:

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Sweet, got my appointment on Monday to get vacc'd. Turns out I got moved up the list cuz I'm my mother's carer.

congratulations!

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Comrade Fakename posted:

Oh good, no major even slightly leftist party in the UK then at all, a great idea with no downsides.

the uk currently has no major slightly leftist party.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

bessantj posted:

OH NO!!! Our ability to kill brown people is being severely diminished!

Does size matter for Britain's shrinking Army?

this will just make when boris decides to invade ireland/iceland/calais all the funnier so im for it.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Guavanaut posted:

lmao how bad was Cameron at just everything

and despite this he still managed to outwit the lib dems so hard they destroyed their own party lmao.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Guavanaut posted:

Is offering them stuff only to have them say "no we're good without it" and then fall on their rear end outsmarting them? Seems he only outsmarted the lib dems in the same way that the eu outsmarted him.

lmao i completely memoryholed the fact he tried multiple times to save the lib dems.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Communist Thoughts posted:

I want a vaccine :(

:same:

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

ah yes, the slightly left wing party.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Failed Imagineer posted:

https://twitter.com/_jackhy/status/1364695868423692290?s=19

Idk , view video if you want to experience instant brain death like me. Noone could view all 44 seconds of this trainee gammon shouting and twirling without becoming a Maoist

starting a one issue party and all I promise to do is send all landlords to that island that had to be evacuated because it was too windy.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

goddamnedtwisto posted:

^^^ bollocks, that's what I get for googling to confirm that St Helena was the one where they built an airport without actually looking at what the wind was up to

St Helena is a beautiful island and a World Heritage Site that doesn't deserve that. Rockall, however...
I should be clear the windy island of hell is actually St Kilda

forkboy84 posted:

Send them to Rockall.

this would be good too.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Jose posted:

should join my one issue party of sticking all journalists in a giant blender and include landlords as its technically still one issue

the problem with the blender method is that it's far too humane and it's so final, if they are all trapped on an uninhabitable island you can film it and serialise it into a new reality show for the BBC using the profits to buy more islands that nobody wants and send more landlords to them.

so I will also accept sending journalists terrible very bad no good islands.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

sinky posted:

I think the opposition to shout at the government all the time imo

x

wow, needing to call up tony, he really is in trouble.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

can't say I expected to wake up to see people arguing in favour of Teesside, that's a new one.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

JoylessJester posted:

uh... it's in winter for 2022.

y'know, because of the hosts being loving qatar of all places.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

u brexit ukip it posted:

If you want football you don't have to wait for winter 2022, there is the UEFA Euro 2020 coming in June, with the semifinals and finals played in Wembley Stadium. England, Scotland and Wales have qualified, teams from Ireland need not apply and if you think Gibraltar needs to have their own football team you're just taking the piss.

gibraltar own

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

it'd have been pretty sick of tony blair was the fantasy some people had about him where he just said whatever the papers wanted and then turned out to be turbo-stalin, that's a fun alternate universe.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

has anyone said KEEF yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

the sunday sport is the only leftist newspaper in Britain