Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Slow News Day posted:

The bolded part is of course not even remotely true. A ton of people who believe Reade and call Biden a rapist at every opportunity also vehemently deny that Assange is a rapist, for example, and some of them even further debase themselves by subscribing to various conspiracy theories about how his accusers were CIA plants. I won't helldump, but this is trivially easy to prove. It is something that even the OP of the previous iteration of the thread initially stated in his own thread when asked about it.

So yeah, it is not hypocrisy or bad faith to suggest that there are in fact some people who are weaponizing Reade to attack their political opponents.

That's straight-up a lie on several fronts. A, the post you're referring to was in a different thread, some kind of feedback thread or the like, not my thread, B, I never "vehemently" denied anything from the outset, I just stated I didn't know and was under the impression that the women had dropped the case, and C, when some D&D regulars like Aruan who I'll thank personally here, corrected me on the details, I edited in a correction while still iterating that I thought that was a distraction from discussion of Biden, which it is. This is you grasping at straws to try and create a conspiracy, but let me tell you, as someone who had daily panic attacks for the entire month Kavanaugh was being nominated, this is not a partisan issue for me, a cliquish issue to me, or anything else. Do not try to act like I, a survivor of sexual assault, want to weaponize sexual assault.

Grooglon posted:

I'm a victim of sexual assault who did the moral calculus and voted for Biden. I have:

* Written my federal reps (all Dems) to express my displeasure
* Pulled my donations to the DNC and Democrats
* Actively encouraged my employer to pull their political donations to Reps and Dems alike
* Organized multiple grassroots fundraising efforts expressly for female candidates
* Increased my donations to charities that help victims of sexual assaults

I also made a personal moral decision that I will never again vote for a solo male representative or a ticket that does not have a woman on it, as I feel that frankly most men with a long career in politics will have engaged in some shady behavior towards a woman at some point in their past whether we hear about it or not.

I'm sure for some posters in this thread this does not absolve the eternal stain on my soul for voting for Biden. I invite those people to bite me.

I can only speak for myself, but the real conflict point with me over Biden's election was never just people deciding to vote for someone despite them being a rapist, which we've all as a country have done in the past, it's the idea that there was no line a Democratic candidate could cross to disqualify them from the election. I think Biden was disqualified in a lot of ways and that's not the topic of the thread, but the reason I think it's become close to a "meme" about the rape (and I hate that it has) is because it signified that no criticism of Biden could ever be viewed as damning by some Democrat voters. I asked a lot of friends of mine who were voting for Biden, "Where is the line for you," and they couldn't bring themselves to answer. Clearly, this was a line for you, and I imagine it was a line for a lot of survivors who voted reluctantly, and even those who didn't vote so reluctantly, I understand. The problem becomes when there is no line, at which point whatever moral superiority the Democrats supposedly have over the Republicans ceases to function.

I think that is an interesting lesson to take going forward, between this and Breonna Taylor, is that just repeating an assertion over and over, be it, "Joe Biden is a rapist," or, "Today would be a great day to arrest Breonna Taylor's killers," will not compel action. When looked at the riots this summer, which did at least get some action done, it's clear that George Floyd's death became more of a flashpoint than Taylor's because an immediate and dramatic consequence occurred. A dramatic consequence to Reade's situation was always going to be difficult to occur because they only reached public conscious right when the pandemic was kicking off, but I hope in the future there is a way to organize something swiftly and incapable of being ignored if this ever comes up again. I'm not talking a riot per se, but there has to be an immediate response. Because the real faltering of #metoo was seen well before Reade, when the Oscars went out of their way to denounce Weinstein, turn a new leaf, had a row of actresses affirm a new day was dawning... and now, accepting an Oscar for Best Animation, Kobe Bryant. That should've tipped me off sooner how things were going to go.

I will say as thorny as this thread has gotten sometimes, I'm glad it's been made and I'm glad conversation is happening in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

I mean, I don't give a gently caress if he's put in the Hall of Fame, I get it, I even rooted for him before all that went down, but it was more a matter of optics, picking that specific Oscars to give him an award in, it just left a really disingenuous air to the whole thing.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

GreyjoyBastard posted:

really getting the impression that this thread's culture and/or posting standards might be better suited to cspam

Please don't do this.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

fool of sound posted:

Not really. Politicians and famous people often get away with it because of their wealth and influence, but in cases affecting poor people, abusers tend to get away with it because nobody with any authority actually gives a poo poo about the accusations and even if they do, they can expect to encounter the same sort legal and cultural barriers that people accusing famous individuals do on a smaller scale. It's a widespread issue and focusing exclusively on politicians or the rich does it a disservice.

It's really hard to prove sexual assault in general in many cases because of "victim said, suspect said" is naturally going to side with innocent until proven guilty. Which to a point is how it should be in terms of innocence should be assumed, but it kind of sucks when victims frequently don't report within enough time to effectively corroborate their story or what have you. Speaking from experience, not reporting for months made it very difficult to go forward in trial because there just wasn't any evidence to operate on. That's part of why believing victims is so important, because the system can't necessarily, but then you get the (very, very occasional) false report that abuses that trust and it's just difficult to know how to navigate through the situation.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

There's often a lot of discussion about what #metoo wasn't able to accomplish, but I do want to talk about a way it helped me personally, or at least allowed me to view things through a better lens than I had before. Growing up after what happened to me, I shouldered my experience and knew about my mother's experiences with sexual assault, but I still thought of it as a marginal, uncommon experience, something maybe ten to twenty percent of the population had to deal with. That misconception led me to having some pretty bitter and overly resentful attitudes towards society at large, a certain presumption of, "Odds are, you couldn't possibly know what it's like for me." I remember in college hearing from female peers that they'd rather die than be raped and that didn't help. I remember reading Margaret Atwood "Rape Fantasies" and getting the completely wrong read from it, that a large swath of our population imagined themselves in the perils I had actually gone through. Something this movement has done is prompt a lot of people to talk about their experiences that have never spoken about it before, and I just remember scrolling through the hashtag mentions on Twitter and people bravely talking about the horrors they'd gone through. It really sobered me up from my pity party and woke me up to just how common this is, that what I'd gone through and my mother went through weren't just strokes of bad luck but a horrifying "rite of passage" that many women had forced upon them. It made me re-evaluate a lot of my older, more bitter attitudes about things. As wrathful as I feel about how little justice is being pursued on so many fronts, I do feel like I've become a better person through us all talking about this, and I'd never felt so much relief as when I've posted in-depth things about it on here and elsewhere. It really shows the power of community and sharing in the face of these horrors, and as sad that this community even has to exists is, at least we have each other more than, I think, before serious public discussion began on this topic.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

I get that hothead response, you just want to protect someone you care about. At the same time, and I'm not speaking to your reaction to someone you know who was personally hurt, but there's a lot of performative anti-rapist poo poo out there. You catch it in media all the time when rape is invoked to create a villain character because a writer has no imagination, or people just going on and on about how they'd sterilize rapists or cut their balls off, etc., especially if they're pedophiles. The thing though is... this last spring, I actually found my rapist's account on Facebook. It kinda blew my mind he was out of jail since he was a general miscreant, so that was one shock, but something that I can't get over scrolling through his posts was... a meme with someone blowing the head off a dude who was claiming to be a pedophile.

Was really tempting to comment on that, "Oh word?" gotta tell you.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Could somebody explain this Cosby release to my pea-sized brain?

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Calling an understandably emotional response after a miscarriage of justice a "shitpost" seems a different meaning of shitpost than one I'm aware of. If a mod thinks that's not content enough, it'd be nice if they could politely indicate that instead of just jump in and probe.

Anyway, I'm interested, Fritz the Horse. I have family and friends of family who went through some bad stuff in LA but most of that was in the 80s/90s, so it'd be interesting to see how it's... progressed.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

PT6A posted:

Yes and no. If it were anyone but a prominent, prolific rapist that everyone rightly hates, I think people would be saying "the government was naughty, they shouldn't get a mulligan."

if it were anyone but a prominent, prolific rapist, the verdict wouldn't be overturned though

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

I regret asking this to be explained to me because I think I understand it less now more than ever and it's just been endless law tangents since.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

I would hope, if Cuomo is successfully impeached (which is highly doubtful in my mind) that it does not end up like Derek Chauvin where one consequence amidst a sea of none therefore reaffirms the whole system, justice is restored, etc. The simple fact is, a president with an outstanding rape accusation against him who continues to act aggressively, not just tactile, but aggressive with women of all ages will be up for election in 2024. I would hope Biden's history is not dismissed as "the inevitable results of a system" and is treated with the seriousness that was deserved. Because that seriousness was missing in 2020 and that's left a profound effect on a lot of people.

The shittiest experience I had wasn't even on here, it was on Facebook, where I was arguing with "friends" about this, and then a mutual of theirs said they were sorry about my experience but hoped one day I would "understand." Like using my experiences as the basis of a litmus test for presidents was selfish somehow. That, probably more than the votes themselves, is what worries me, that underneath all these optics of believing victims and the like, there is a desire to dismiss the identity of victims in favor of some "greater good." That makes it difficult to shame conservatives for their rapes too. Probably one of the reason the Access Hollywood tapes didn't sink Trump as much as it should have (and hell yeah it should've) was Bill Clinton's connections with Epstein coming to light as well as his previous misdeeds also being highlighted. Conservatives might've shrugged about it regardless, they sure did with Kavanaugh, but it made it easier for them.

This isn't to go all USPol about this... this is the after-effect of rape culture. There's no more damaging sentiment than, "Well, everyone else is doing it, therefore...." Those Facebook friends seemed very convinced Biden had only done one rape versus Trump's untold number of ones, and that was because the media focused only one complaint... which is also what they did with Kavanaugh. That focus on a single narrative as opposed to a disturbing trend, from Biden getting kicked out a woman's dorm in college to allegations of Trump spying on Miss America Pageant contestants, is going to be the template of the future - "Can you prove this one case? If not, no other contextual evidence can be admitted." As someone who himself wasn't in a position to "prove" my victimizer's guilt, that does not encourage me.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Mellow Seas posted:

Call me crazy but there's probably a better way of "publicizing Dem malfeasance" that doesn't involve the constant brain poisoning of 30-40% of the population to believe lies in the service of capital and fascism. :rolleyes:

The right wing is not and will never be your friend.

The center wing has proven they're not either with their censorship. I don't know how to emphasize enough how the mistreatment of this situation is such a disqualifier for so many entities.

Dammerung posted:

It's one of the extreme difficulties about applying basic standards and preventing the spread of rape culture to politics. It's already a difficult sell when it comes to admonishing a widely beloved and known public figure like President Biden for being a creep. Factor in the possibility of another Trump win, not passing a massive infrastructure bill, etc., and you're going to get a lot of people who will be desperate to ignore or diminish it because they want what he's promising. Heck, I've encountered that in the past - it wasn't said, but it was pretty explicitly implied that creepy behavior was just something that was done because their work was so stressful, that it could damage the work being done if it was publicly addressed, it wasn't really that bad, and so on and so forth. It really does hurt to know that people you consider friends or colleagues believe this, I know that too.

That's the refrain though, isn't it, and far more in politics. I even made this point to my acquaintances, though it went over their heads: We can't expose this priest because he's leading so many people to eternal salvation, we can't expose this cop because he's so close to finish up an important case, so on, so forth. That's how rape culture perpetuates, is elevating the status of the victimizer, which also means the type of people who become priests, cops, and politicians are the ones who want immunity from charges like rape. It's a very sick system. I was thinking about Ted Kennedy a lot yesterday, how difficult that situation is, how many more people would've been saved by Kennedy's health care plan than Carter's or Reagan's, and don't the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few? But that's an argument that relies on so much presumption, that Ted would've passed that program, that Ted wouldn't have done other awful things, that the type of guy who's okay raping people isn't okay with taking advantage of people in other capacities. Then I thought about how much harder it is to reject Kennedy than it is Biden, a guy who's actively done a shitload to hurt people. And I still would've. You can't let victimizers hold you hostage with their alleged personas. Justice should be for all.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Can't take the Donald Trump Access Hollywood tape seriously because it was released in October by a network that hated him, don't care if there's audio, there's just not enough good faith being shown for me to believe in it.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

This isn't the media criticism thread, Fritz tried to dodge this conversation by editing their post, we've established the coverage is real, let's move on with the caveat that people who act like this didn't happen are arguing against physical evidence.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

The people who were demanding better sources also weren't common posters in this thread. Weird what gets called an invasion and what doesn't.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

My experience was that if you don't go to trial with something it leaves you open to getting sued for slander, or at least that was what I was told as a kid in that situation. There was also the recent situation with Lena Dunham alleging assault with someone using just context clues and it still left her open for lawsuit, so to a point, it feels like Abedin just didn't want to deal with a lawsuit while still saying, "Hey, I've had the #metoo experience too," etc. I don't entirely view it as cowardice and more just not wanting to deal with the legal ramifications and not thinking it worthwhile to allege anything.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

And then there's everything going on with the Washington Football Team and Deshaun Watson. The sports world is full of this awfulness, and it doesn't help seeing sports institutions covering it up or underreacting to it.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

How are u posted:

Well if that's the concern then who gets to dictate the "proper" way to talk about these awful experiences?

It'd be great if you actually contributed to the thread instead of whatever this is. I have very little patience for you to turn this into another one of your corners you troll. If you have something you want to say, just say it, I'll talk with you about it, you have my word you won't get slapped. If you don't have anything to say, go away.

Probably Magic fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Nov 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

GreyjoyBastard posted:

ask me about somebody in the canpol thread stanning for quebecois separatist literal terrorists

I thought of renaming myself on here "Gay Mutant Quebecois Terrorist" at one point but didn't know if it'd fit the character limit and also how many people would get it's a Northstar reference.

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think that the idea that Abedin is significantly cashing in on her sexual assault is pretty wrongheaded:

--Abedin is a pretty minor political figure to begin with
--Any sexual assault is probably eclipsed by the fact that she's the wife of a shamed politician who couldn't stop showing his penis to teenage girls which unfortunately is what she is primarily well known for.
--The Guardian already leaked the details of the book before the fact, and Abedin's telling is much more muted. I would agree with the Guardian's read that she experienced a sexual assault partially because of the power dynamics at play, but she does not
--The assault hasn't even been something that has been brought up in the couple of reviews I read
--She wasn't teasing anything, she just doesn't name the senator in the book

Yeah, again, you have to be pretty light in detail to escape slander charges (I don't think Dunham even named her assailant, she just gave too many identifying clues), so there's just not much in the way of salacious detailing for profit. There already is a trend of detailing assault for biographies, that's nothing new, but unless it's something already processed through the system, you can't go far with it anyway.