Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

one Democrat nearly beat a man to death with a cane on the floor of the Senate, which is pretty rad

now, he was beating an abolitionist who made him mad by criticizing slaveholders with improper decorum, but alas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Flavius Aetass posted:

they're bad threads

wait wait I know the trick

here we go guys:

TLRUP

did i do it right? good thread now?

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

please stop everyone, this is a positive place, a place of celebration

Democrats are good at keeping prices low and fires under control by cleverly utilizing the labor of incarcerated peoples

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

the new succ zone, whenever we are graced with its presence, should have more lmao and less gently caress off this time around

like this!

Happiness posted:

person who inexplicably got made mod by posting links to streams of blm protests every single day for several months

lmao

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Homeless Friend posted:

I'm wishing death to my enemies with all my friends on discord. They're all there, with me!

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Hey, I see you liked my Humphrey, wanna chat?

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

loquacius posted:

even as much as I hate Neera it's still a legitimate LOL that the Biden administration is trying to appoint her to the admin as a favor to the left

like holy poo poo we got so loving owned hahahahaha

and then they pretended to be shocked when the left blew up over it

lol, they knew, they just wanted to twist that dagger, gg wp

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

this wouldn't have happened if he had a gun

right? it's very sad. we'll never see a spontaneous bare-knuckled boxing match between MTG and Katie Porter and we are all the worse off for it

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

loquacius posted:

https://twitter.com/Numbers28/status/1359985305948979200

hot take: that is not a good thing

god can you fuckin imagine if they had :allears:

my god, the police would have killed so many people

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

bad post

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

(wrong thread)

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

paranoid randroid posted:

its weird how all these deep blue cities in deep blue states keep routinely brutalizing people and demanding that if we dont like it we should VOTE harder

and joining ranks with all the right-wingers

It's beyond frustrating to see the liberals make all the same loving mistakes as in post-WWI Europe, and this time we don't even have communists and anarchists as opposition. our only upside is that our fascists are mostly LARPers with a minimal number of thoroughly broken veterans of war

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

spacemang_spliff posted:

I didn't think DC statehood was ever on the table

Nothus posted:

That's not what they told us during the campaign.

Biden said DC should be a state, but it's one of those things that absolutely requires the abolition of the filibuster, and oh shucks would you look at that

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Grapplejack posted:

PR will very likely be a republican state

I'd say possibly rather than likely - to add to this it is hard to overstate how fundamentally baked in "the US federal government hosed us over and will always gently caress us over" is to PR politics. They don't really fall into a clean division so it's hard to predict who they end up bringing to the Senate

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

THS posted:

its pretty funny that as obviously setup and goofy 1/6 was tons of ppl on the left absolutely ate that poo poo up and went into hysterics over it

tbf regardless of all the bullshit surrounding it, it is still a little concerning that many people can be convinced to fly to DC and breach police lines to enter the capitol

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

THS posted:

not so much when one of the main plotters was literally an fbi informant. makes everyone involved look like rubes

I'm not worried about them being leaders or intelligent or even capable of rudimentary decision-making, I'm worried about future gaggles of armed useful idiots

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

stellers bae posted:

the protestors weren't armed and loving up the capitol is cool and good. don't resort to right wing talking points about protesters attacking are institutions and being armed useful idiots

it's not about the capitol, it's about the general fashiness of right-wing dipshits, and despite my opinions of liberal democracy I would really prefer not to have to spend time literally fighting brownshirts

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Who knew Neera Tanden would be able to find yet another way to embarrass Democrats

my phone keeps wanting to correct her name to Beers Tandem which probably says a lot about my habits

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

zzzzone, give me your thoughts on Bosnia

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

the main reason I think Evans is just conveniently aligned through affiliation with Bellingcat and just has a dumb anti-authoritarian to the point of being pro-intervention take is that I can't fathom how an actual op could get away with stanning Öcalan

but maybe the CIA is more crafty than I give them credit for

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Shipon posted:

liberal interventionism can suck my loving dick. there is never any situation where military intervention will improve things

genocides can't be stopped by bombing the people doing them, they can only be stopped from within

they have been stopped, multiple times

it's just that the number of genocides that continue unabated combined with the death toll from US intervention over our history absolutely dwarf the savings

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

oh gosh golly gee whiz, that dastardly parlimentarian has thwarted us again!!!

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

actionjackson posted:

spending a lot of money on a super nice coat is less materialistic then constantly buying cheap coats that you have to replace every few years

except there are lots of $150-$200 jackets that are durable and as warm or warmer than that one. you're just paying for style and brand at that point

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

I wish search worked properly because I had someone here get really really mad at me last month when I mentioned that Bellingcat is a CIA and State info dump

[edit: oh, it was in USPOL, no wonder]

BRAKE FOR MOOSE has issued a correction as of 21:00 on Feb 25, 2021

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

mcmagic posted:

No one is stupid enough to accept this an excuse for why they can't do anything. I refuse to believe it.

"Why can't you increase the minimum wage or give advances on tax credits when you have control of all parts of government?"

"It's against the rules"

"Oh"

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

IT'S. AGAINST. THE. RULES.

You're a big boy, you know what rules are.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

loquacius posted:

also the reason the republicans are able to accomplish their agenda is that they break the rules

Two wrongs don't make a right, loquacius.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

It's just like PUTIN'S LEFT to be so dismissive of the basic rules and procedures underlying our Democracy :rolleyes:

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

can we please stop posting about the podcast man

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

hobbesmaster posted:

I just started glancing through it, the first thing it does after the definition of terms is eliminate the federal death penalty for “deprivation of rights under color of law” resulting in a death.

Grapplejack posted:

The death penalty is horseshit and should be banned imo, so they've done one good thing

got no problem with killing cops, but I don't want the government to be the ones doing it

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

shyduck posted:

Has Yang been to Bubba Gump yet

Times Square Olive Garden is obviously the correct next step

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

today, my friends, we are all interim president of venezuela

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

"It wasn't enough but it is good" is completely accurate but everyone in the media that is saying that is underselling the "it wasn't enough" part and it's just tacking that on to look like A Good Progressive

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

actually, US CPI does include food and other staples - it's "core CPI" that does not, and afaik, that's only really used as an inflation measurement. I don't know that anyone ties wages to core CPI

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

hasn't 2016 lover doxxed himself like 500 times here? why are all these QCS nutters accusing him of being every permabanned poster at once

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

spacemang_spliff posted:

lmao just read the QCS thread

Goddamn D&D is some broke brained poo poo

My previous assessment of USPOL remains unchanged but sending someone a rude PM is not in the same universe as sexual harassment lmao god drat what does SA do to people's brains

I don't pay enough attention to forums drama so I'm just extremely confused - most of that nonsense isn't even from USPOL regulars, it's some other cult of who the gently caress knows

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Dixon Chisholm posted:

I will kill you.

"And looking back, we can pinpoint this post as the one that started the QCS thread that finally closed C-SPAM"

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

what blows my mind about the chronic libs is that they can't conceive of operating from first principles like "everyone should have health care" or "we should not have concentration camps" and working back to figure out how to get there by whatever means, even if it's costly or difficult. they instead can only look at the situation as it exists and consider, within a narrow framework and moving at a horrifyingly slow rate and with ample consideration of how to operate with respect for political viewpoints that include "nobody should have health care" and "all immigrants should die in concentration camps", how we can make a small step forward towards increasing the number of people with health care and reducing the population in concentration camps

meanwhile, the number of people with health care actually goes down and the number of people in concentration camps actually goes up

and the chronic lib says "what do you want us to do, just toss 'em all out into the desert?!?"

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Ytlaya posted:

Eh, it's more that they just start from the assumption that "the Democrats are good and doing their best" and then interpret political events through that assumption. So with the concentration camps, their mindset is "is there a way to interpret this that doesn't involve the Democratic Party being bad?"

They believe that this is obvious and that viewing things from any other perspective is being bizarrely cynical.

A ton of the concentration camp apologists have also complained about the moderate wing of the party so this is an oversimplification and it's not just mindless partisanship, they're bought into the politics of incrementalism as an inherent necessity and don't recognize that it is an excuse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

I bring up the difference between Democratic partisanship and careful non-disruptive planned incrementalism as an ethos because I spend almost all of my time surrounded by PMC left liberals who are legitimately disappointed by a lack of progress and annoyed that they had to settle for Biden, but are also fully bought into bureaucratic PLANS!!! nonsense and ask a lot of questions about how a minimum wage increase will impact small businesses

a fascinating creature, it is