Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Falconier111 posted:

I have to say, though, that the first track the game breaks out is one of its best, a wistful and moving piano piece that stays with you long after you stop playing.

You're not kidding, I hit Play and was immediately catapulted back to the early 2000s. X was very much one of my favorite Final Fantasies. I even enjoyed X-2, except for the part where they shot their new scenery load five minutes in and left us with the damp spot of identical square hallways for the rest of the dungeons.

Falconier111 posted:

I would like some feedback on format. Normally my posts have several hundred more words but less than half as many pictures; do you think I can cut the screenshots back and put in more narration without losing anything? Also, I'd like to know if the italics/plaintext combination I'm using works or could be improved or if there're any other improvements I can make.

For later segments, you could definitely cut back the screenshots, but the intro has enough things happening that this didn't feel overcrowded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Quackles posted:

I have no idea what's going on. :v:

A giant evil whale is attacking, and the main character is tripping balls.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

oldskool posted:

The sheer upper body strength required to swing a metal sword underwater, let alone hard enough to cut through a fish :stare:

Dude plays a game that takes place almost entirely underwater, he should be loving shredded. Also I think somewhere it's explained that they're really lightweight swords, though that may just be a fan theory I saw once and am vaguely remembering.

megane posted:

Well, most of the game looks great, but Tidus's outfit killed the entire Final Fantasy franchise for me for like a decade. I can only picture it as a wacky sitcom episode - Dave makes this silly crayon drawing of a dude covered in zippers and belts and shows it around as a petty joke at Nomura's expense, but then it gets mixed in with the real designs by accident, and their crazy boss just loves it and insists they put it on the main character while Dave awkwardly tries to avoid Nomura's furious glare
You can't even treat it as his sports uniform he never changed out of, because the Zanarkand Abes don't wear any of that poo poo. Also I really hate that elbow basket, because it never looks right on the in-game model. Just stretching and smearing all over the place.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
The implants idea is a good one, based on the tech level of Zanarkand. I think the canon explanation is that Tidus and the rest of the Blitzballers are just really good at holding their breath. :downs:

Also, you probably shouldn't quote me on anything I remember about X, I played it on release, a time when there were a lot of people stumped on what to do just after you get the airship, and a lot of people trying to spoil the big plot reveals and mostly failing because they were fairly unbelievable.

Falconier111 posted:

But the stories agree that sole survivor was the only citizen of that kingdom, spared to carry its lesson to the rest of the world.

This may be worth keeping in mind.

Also that would be a real cheeky inclusion if this LP was happening 20 years ago.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
One of the bridge legends I'm aware of had a saint building a bridge and promising the devil the soul of the first creature to cross it, then he crossed it while holding a cat. Which is a lovely thing to do to a cat and/or the devil.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

BlazetheInferno posted:

Ahhh, Wakka. He means well. :)

Wakka is my favorite character in this game (My favorite design is Auron, though). He's the only supporting member to really have a strong character arc, much like (And sort of paralleling) Steiner in IX. None of the other supporting characters change significantly over the course of the game, with the possible exception of Rikku.

[modedited to add spoiler tags]

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Feb 16, 2021

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I never really questioned the why of Yuna being stuck in there for days, having pretty thoroughly internalized the "events only happen when you're there to witness them" convention that most JRPGs use. That being said,

MightyPretenders posted:

Since we're led to believe that what goes on in the innermost chamber is just Yuna praying for hours at a time, there's one possibility that springs to mind for why it took so long the first time.

That being that Valefor was stalling until Tidus showed up, since he's a big part of their plan.
I think this is correct.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Swapping party members in so everyone got XP was not a very good mechanic. It felt like an obligation and needed to be done in every battle unless it was absolutely trash mobs while you were redoing an area. And usually you need to cycle through everyone that's not good for the current fight, then back to the paper-rock-scissors-lizard-spock winners to actually finish the fight.

It was easy enough to do, however, compared to XII which had the same problem, but the real-time nature meant you couldn't switch out a character who was being targeted by something, and I vaguely recall some other problem, like it took a significant amount of time between the first member despawning and the replacement arriving, or needing to go two levels deep into a menu rather than the way X does it. In 10 it was easy enough to keep everyone about equal, but for 12 I just wound up having a main party and hoping story events didn't force me to use one of the B team.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Falconier111 posted:

Poor Kimahri...

I kind of assume you'll be covering this in more detail when you find appropriate :orb:, but Kimahri's in an interesting niche where his position on the sphere grid lets him go into anyone's grid. Mechanically, he's the type I love. Although I think when I found the first unlock orb, Tidus was close to his connecting point, so they kinda traded grids for a bit. I just remember sending someone into Kimahri's grid while Kimahri worked backwards towards the basic abilities on their grid.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I still remember and love the animations the Aurochs do trying to mimic the Jecht Shot. One of them keeps trying to do the mid-air spin and ending with this dizzy wobble.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Black Robe posted:

Okay, I'm no die-hard follower of sportsball, but how does literally the worst team in the world who haven't made it past the first round in who knows how many years get seeded?

They didn't want you to have to play too much blitzball right out of the gate? :shrug: That and the Psyches are probably the second worst team, so the thinking may be "Well, maybe instead of the stompfest we got from the Goers/Aurochs match the last 3 years, let's have some kind of mildly interesting show before the stompfest."

I enjoyed the management aspect a bit more than the actual game. Probably still counts as spoilers, so: I loved just running about asking everyone if they were interested in playing with my giant knobbly balls. And very random people would be, and would be surprisingly good! Like a random-rear end Yevonite down in a canyon like ten areas ahead with a 99 Catch rating. Or something. Again, longass time since I played. But I remember that guy, a guy on the Al Bhed Psyches, and, surprisingly, Keepa, were especially good, although I think Keepa's strength may not actually be goaltending.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

This was one of the three main spoilers that trolls would come into the Final Fantasy Online IRC chat and spam after X came out. If you hadn't gotten to this point yet, it all sounded too far-fetched, and if you had, but hadn't gotten to the other two points, the other two still sounded too far-fetched, so it was real easy to just dismiss them all for the newbies' sake with "It's just a dumb rumor."

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Falconier111 posted:

I will have more to say about this later. GOD will I have more to say about this later. But I stand by my belief that FFX has some of the best plotting of any video game I’ve ever played. As flawed as the writing can be, the underlying plot structure is a work of art that can support the weaker parts of the script and makes the stronger parts land hard.

On reflection, yeah, there were never any plot notes that just came completely out of left field. Even the huge one you could see building up and grasp at least moments before they actually said it, and often quite earlier.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Well that makes even less sense than Kingdom Hearts.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Man, I played FFXIII and I don't remember 80% of this poo poo.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

stab posted:

gently caress that minigame.

Also, gently caress 0:00:0.

People will know what I mean.

Those two and the butterflies. I just wound up building my own ultimates for those.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

cant cook creole bream posted:

Those are inherently weaker though.

99999 is 99999.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
If you cleaned Seymour up, you know, removed some of that hairdo and the facial markings, made his outfit more in line with the rest of the Yevonites, gave him less obvious visual JRPG Villain signalling (His Aeon can stay, that reads more as "intriguing antihero"), this scene on the Highroad would read more as his stated intent, a man willing to take whatever measures were necessary to defeat Sin. As is...

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Yeah, on top of the kaiju problem, Spira has a zombie problem, only the zombies are wasps and turtles and poo poo.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
As far as I understand it, bodily processes are bodily processes. When those cease, you die (But then there's literally being turned into stone and shattered, so my argument may be flawed from the get-go). After death, your soul tends to stick around in the form of pyreflies. Most of the time, this is harmless. Some deaths are quiet, and peaceful, and the decedent passes to the Farplane on their own. Some areas are thick with pyreflies, but not hostile.

But the aftermath of an attack by Sin has a lot of people who died in terror and fear. Those are the souls liable to become fiends, thus the sending. Attacks by fiends can also result in violent, negative-charged deaths, perpetuating the cycle.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Bifauxnen posted:

I've always tried to get the word "necrosystem" to catch on, to describe Spira's version of an ecosystem. Have I finally found the right audience?!

I mean you have now given me five new ideas for my tabletop campaign world, so there's that.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I always felt it kinda neat that the Extractor is just the Blitzball robot with extra greebles. I realize it's mostly asset re-use, but there's no reason it couldn't be in-universe asset re-use. "They beat up our robot and ripped the blitzball launcher off it, what do we do?" "...Stick the Summoner Box on top instead." Or they just have a bunch of similar chassis on-hand.

Notably, this is not the first time in the series that you beat up a robot and have a party member fall out. In VIII, you send a B team off on a mission, and at the end of it, they fight a heavy assault tank. Later, your A team encounters a beat-up, berserk version of the assault tank, and when you beat it, your B team falls out and reveals they couldn't see what was going on and were pressing buttons randomly. It is not the stupidest plot development in that game.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Black Robe posted:

Oh joy. Wakka using obvious racial slurs followed by near-nude shots of a sixteen year old girl. What a classy game this is.

You're not wrong, Wakka is clearly being racist, but grease monkey is an occupational slur. Let us be precise in our pejoratives.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Falconier111 posted:

I’m pretty sure “the more important the character is to the story, the dumber their outfit looks” is in one of those old JRPG trope lists that went around a couple decades back.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
That's a pretty good workflow. The two LPs I made stabs at were a JRPG driving game (fallen quite thoroughly into archives) and a turn-based survival roguelike, so I typically didn't need to be quick on the screenshot key and could write updates as I was playing. Go for a few turns, take screenshots where appropriate, write what happened, repeat. I'd use IrfanView to batch convert screenshots into a manageable size and format where possible, and GIMP to edit down others for detail and to isolate headshots. Since recording video of a turn-based game is not great, if I needed animation I'd take several screenshots and stitch them into a GIF, which worked well sometimes:

but not others.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I think that length works well. The scene break I've been familiar with has always used three asterisks, like so:

I think any more complex and you'd be into "Might as well use ASCII art" territory.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 5, 2021

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Falconier111 posted:

That’s good to know, but... I’d have to make Lulu attack to take advantage of that. Lulu. Using a mage’s weapon just feels wrong, you know?

My mother eventually got to a point in her play where she could beat an optional superboss to death with the girls alone... using nothing but Mug. Repeatedly. It was one of her favorite pastimes while playing X. I'm not sure she ever actually finished the game, she was so busy mugging that dude to death.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

LJN92 posted:

I dunno if I'd attribute it to the time period. I'd say it's more of an "unconditional love" thing.

I had a dad that was kind of like Jecht. I cut ties with him as a teenager. But occassionally, I'd hear from people who would say "But he's your father". As in, they thought that, no matter how bad a person he was, I ought to have strove to maintain some relationship with him, and that there was "love" there no matter how anyone behaved.

Even my own mum, who got divorced from him because of what an rear end in a top hat he was, still tells me that I ought to have a relationship with him.

Point is, as far as I can tell, some people just really, really believe in "unconditional love" between family, no matter what actually happened.

I ran away from my dad's house (Back to my mother and her new husband) with his bootprint visible on my chest. After that, I basically stopped thinking about him until his alcoholism started severely impacting his health and social situation (The local goody-goody Christian even confided she didn't want to keep helping him). At that point I had some weird cognitive dissonance between my absolute apathy towards him and his situation, and the societal idea of familial love and filial piety. My ultimate takeaway was sometimes your family is a bag of assholes, and it's okay to not like them, no matter what society says.

Falconier111 posted:

(Fun fact: while I added some elaboration to it, the history of the creation of the Al Bhed I talked about up there? It’s actually pretty much canon.

:eyepop:

I guess I never really thought about the hows and whys of there being three distinct subspecies of humans (Although at the time I think I classed the Guado as a type of elf) capable of interbreeding, or if I did I just chalked it up to the half-elf/orc/dragon/ogre/giant/whatever principle: Humans will bone anything.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I assumed that Sin's teleportation was water-based, based on Tidus waking up at in an oasis, but on further examination that would mean that the rest of the party should also have been there and just wandered off instead of staying put like Lulu said they were supposed to.

Although that does give a mildly amusing mental image of Sin just sprouting from that tiny oasis pool like the world's worst can of snakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Is Seymour actually perma-dead, or is he gonna be a reoccurring boss fight in the future?

Seymour was not sent by Yuna. Make of that what you will.