Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Well, I was enjoying playing this for awhile, but I went exploring and hosed up by dying on a different continent without building a temporary hut, and on the first corpse raft I was trying to build my hut too close and got eaten by a ghost, and on the second my raft got attacked by a sea serpent and I drowned, so at this point just absolutely gently caress this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

anatomi posted:

I wouldn't mind a once-in-a-while ability or expensive sacrifice to recover a corpse from afar. You'd want to attempt a corpse run but now you have an emergency option if you've gotten into an impossible/overly tedious situation.

This is where I’m at. The corpse run to this other continent is just so incredibly tedious even without the random unavoidable deaths. Let me save, like, four things from my corpse from afar, so at least I’m not looking at a complete reset if I can’t get there, or so I don’t have to start from literal sticks and stones to get there.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Well, I gave it another shot, and I diligently made a couple huts on both sides of the ocean and then managed to snag my corpse away from the fire imps and other swampfolk. Not as bad as I was dreading, although a troll did chase me off my first hut attempt. So I have un-given up on the game.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Apparently at least some of my recent aggravation is due to, purely by chance, never having cut down a beech or oak tree.

The funny thing is I’m actually a hobbyist woodworker IRL and should’ve expected them to produce a different quality of wood.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Geez, I would’ve killed for that Elder placement.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
brb, updating my priors about the endgame to include the mass production of carrots

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
My corpse is currently on an island that is literally just one giant swamp, in the middle of a Draugr camp.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I finally rescued my body from the swamp
island of death. Sailed over with enough wood for a cabin, abandoned my raft to the eels, ran around past the draugr, slimes, and skeletons until I miraculously found a place where I wasn’t under attack, built the cabin, ran over and dodged arrows until I could pick up my body from next to the draugr camp, and made it about five meters. But another couple runs/swims from the cabin got me free of that camp, and a few more let me pick up the scraps of my raft. Heroically rebuilt the raft and fended off some more eels with my last few arrows, and I was free, 9 deaths and like five rafts later. And now at last I’ve gotten home and connected my first portal.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
edit: wrong thread

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Finally started pushing into the swamp properly, and I mostly feel like I’ve gotten the hang of it. Kindof astonished how quickly I stopped feeling frightened every time I stepped in; now it’s really just a few of the enemies (ugh, wraiths) that I have to take seriously. Abominations are funny, they’d be terrifying except they’re really just too big for the environment and can’t navigate around all the logs and trees effectively.

Cleared out a couple of crypts, sailed back with four stacks of iron, rebuilt my house into a castle, and gave my abomination trophy pride of place on the wall.

My castle is definitely pushing the limits of structural plausibility, but I threw in a few pillars and beams to make myself feel better.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I was gathering my third boatload of swamp iron and had my first troll raid. Unfortunately, my swamp-adjacent base was still a log cabin (and didn’t have very good walls), so one of the trolls took a solid third of the building out in one swing, including my bed. Not even sure what happens if I die in that state — get sent back to the starting spawn, I assume. Fortunately, I successfully fended off the trolls without dying, then spent the next hour rebuilding in stone.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Yeah, this base is in an unfortunate location for earth barriers — a hill spur leading way out into the ocean. I’ve cut a (jumpable) ravine through the spur and put my house on the highland, but the enemies just swim around, so I’ll actually need to extend the highland as earth walls way out into the sea if I want to keep them out permanently.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I love how quickly you can die of smoke, motherfucker can run across a whole swamp and then stick a sword in a fire imp’s eye but can’t hold their breath for five seconds

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Is that an AT-AT?

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Well, Bonemass was a very silly fight. Make yourself a mace, eat a lot of health food, drink poison resistance, and then: run up to him, stand and deliver for a few seconds, run away, heal, repeat until dead (not very long). Things that helped: (1) being in fully upgraded iron; (2) making a stone house in the swamp to hunt from; (3) Bonemass getting stuck in the trees about a hundred feet from my house.

I made that house in a surtling camp just for the lazy permafire, so I was actually hoping lure him there in the hope that he’d burn to death. It worked on an abomination quite well, but I’m not sure it would’ve worked on the boss; he really does take next to nothing from anything except maces, and maybe he would’ve just trashed my base.

I do wish there was something in the game to suggest using maces, though? It’s not like you don’t fight a million oozes already, and they don’t seem to be conspicuously strong/weak against anything. I tried a few things (swords, arrows of different kinds) and couldn’t seem to do damage faster than he healed, so I just gave up and checked a guide.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Ravenfood posted:

Oozes are not only vulnerable to blunt damage, they are resistant to all other types of damage you feasibly have access to at that point.

Okay, well, I guess I didn’t notice because they still died to swords pretty easily. The delta between how many swings a draugr takes and how many swings an ooze takes is not high.

But yes, I should pay more attention to damage color, lesson learned.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Yeah, I just got my first skeleton raid last night while I was making a dock downslope of my mountain base. That was a whole lot of skeletons.

Mountains diary: built a little house next to the mountains. Ran up a mountain and dueled a stone golem; I assume I should not be using a sword for this. Mined a bunch of obsidian. Came down the mountain wondering where the ore was, then realized that Wishbone is equippable. Went up the mountain again. Found and cleared out a cultist cave, which I assume was unrelated to having Wishbone equipped. Went to another peak and started getting attacked by sparklies. Found my first silver vein; I really like the way you have to keep exploring to find the edges of the vein. At some point in this, I got to experience the joy of corpse running up a mountain when you forgot to leave FR meads at home. Eventually got my silver (and a dragon egg!) down the mountain and onto a boat at my brand new pier, so now I have most of a set of level 1 silver armor and a silver sword. Next up: find more silver, murder wolves until I have enough trophies for a hat.

Do drakes do a lot of extra damage when you’re already freezing? I keep trying to optimize mead usage and run down the mountain after it wears off, because the HP tick is very slow, but sometimes I just suddenly die when I’m running from a drake.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I build on the water unless I have a specific reason not to. Like, my mountain base is on the frostline for obvious reasons, and the Bonemass spawn was on the coast so my Bonemass-killin’ base was inland a bit from that. I wasn’t expecting to do much ore-hauling from the latter, but it’s probably going to become my next iron-mining center, so I might yet regret not having it on the water.

ETA: I did just make a cart-path from my mountain base down to the dock, which I’m hoping will make the distance feel manageable. These mountains are actually very close to the water on the other side, but unfortunately there’s no good water route to that side from home; I’d have to Panama through an entire continent.

rjmccall fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 27, 2023

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Imagine if you could download someone's already played through server, complete with bases.

I know you can do that already but they could add some features that remove anything player built within a set distance of the spawn and resets things like ore veins and cleared mines/dungeons.

Only if the base is absolutely ruined, like the roof has caved in and there’s draugr in the main hall.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Making mountain paths and forts is really fun, and it kinda sucks that you basically get no reuse out of any of it. Like, I have a cool little ring tower that I built on top of an abandoned kiva, and there’s a cart track running up to it from my port, and it’s all very picturesque, and I will never go back there because all the silver is gone.

…I didn’t end up making very good use of that cart track anyway. I did run the cart up the mountain on it, which of course is not strictly necessary, but whatever. I was all done with the second mine on that mountain and ready to take the path back, and then I did a final pass with Wishbone and found a third secret. That just turned out to be bones (:argh:), but I stupidly took my cart over there before I realized that, and there was a terrible logistics event trying to get back. So I had to drag my cart through a couple miles of virgin forest instead of using my lovely mountain path.

Last bit of diary for the day is that I was running low on iron, so I went back to the swamp and collected a million iron. Hopefully I’m set for now. Smelting is probably the most boring part of the game for me right now, I always come back with like 200 unprocessed ore, and even with two smelters running it’s just annoyingly slow.

rjmccall fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Feb 2, 2023

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Yeah, I’ve got a bunch of smelters at different bases I should consolidate at home the next time I’ve got a big batch. I’ll need to push my walls out to make space for them, though.

Do you all just break them down to make coal between smelting sessions? I guess I could go clear cut some forests while waiting for that.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Tonight, a dragon thoroughly kicked my rear end.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Alright, well, day two of Moder somehow went even worse, and now both my main and backup armor are on a mountain in the middle of plains being camped by a dragon who has destroyed my base.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Getting my gear back ended up being way easier than I thought. I had some troll leather still lying around, and fortunately deathsquitos are still one-shot by a bronze sword, so as long as I got the timing right I was fine getting to the mountains. And I had enough silver to make an extra wolf cape. So I hacked through a few wolves, dodged a few shots, and looted everything important off my body while Moder was on the ground. She was back to 100% by the time I came back ready to fight, but the corpse run had lured her down the mountain a bit, and I think that made her a lot easier — most of the problem last night was that she was in such a spawntastic place that even during the day I was constantly fending off new drakes and getting ganked by golems.

I slashed her in the face as much as I could, but that was tough on the side of the mountain, because she kept perching on outcroppings that took most of my stamina just to safely get up to. So it was a lot of sword and bow.

There was a scroll in one of the mountain caves suggesting to use a spear, but she didn’t seem particularly vulnerable to that, and honestly spearfighting is a huge pain.

Anyway, I’m doing a celebratory rebuild of that stone tower she wrecked into a needlessly large castle. Which the golems can still take apart in a few seconds, lol

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Random complaint: I wish enemy attacks against buildings used a little more physics. It’s fine that golems can beat their way through a stone wall, but they should have to actually destroy the wall before they can damage stuff on the other side. I just think a stone wall should give me a little time to react.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Spent basically the whole weekend playing. Got my first little shipment of black metal home, and then the horde generously left a few shards as a tip for slaughtering my pigs. I’m a little surprised at how little actually uses it so far, like no weapons or armor besides a shield. I’m probably just missing an enabling ingredient or two; don’t tell me what (I bet it’s from yaks). Mined three extra silver veins, so now everything at that tier is fully upgraded. Built all the crafting stations that the Dragon Tears enabled. Off to the plains for real. I guess there isn’t really a hard unlock this time, unless bread is way more powerful than I’m expecting.

I thing Yag and Moder are on the same continent. At least, I sailed right past something that sure looked like an altar on the way back. My world turns out to be mostly a few huge continents. I actually still haven’t fully mapped the coast of my starting island, because the last time I tried I was in a karve and still too traumatized by eels and sea serpents to want to go as far north as it seems to stretch. Whereas now I went exploring and caught my first glimpse of mistlands (and immediately noped the hell out of there).

If I ever start fresh, I need to scout port sites better. I keep building ports in what turns out to be the innermost point of an inlet that I’ll have to sail in and out of constantly. In my defense, I’m not sure I had much choice this time, because I definitely wasn’t ready to build a base in the plains when I came here, and the swamp seems bad for bases, and this little patch of forest at the base of an inlet trapped between biomes is looking like it might be the only bit on the whole continent.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Ravenfood posted:

Would you mind posting your world seed? I like the idea of more huge continents compared to my archipelago

Sure! kjC0emYJ8h

I built my home at the northwestern tip of the subcontinent across the river to the east, which retrospect is a dumb location both for sailing and for hauling in general. I think I would advise building on the coast southwest of the spawn site, maybe near the lake. That would have great access to both a lot of forest and to some mountains, and the swamp across the sea to the south is very convenient. The downside is that you’d have to sail that stream whenever you wanted to go north, and it’s not very navigable in a longship.

rjmccall fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 6, 2023

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Is there a way to go back and get a list of everything that just unlocked? The message flashes are not exactly helpful, especially when there’s five pages of them like whenever you unlock a new level of construction material.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

JosephSkunk posted:

Hit your "inventory" button, click on the bird icon under your name, then hit "message log"

I’ll check this out, thanks!

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
So you click on a piece, and it knows to try to snap it relative to that piece? Yeah, that seems hugely better than the guessing game it currently does. You’d still need to throw temporary pieces up in order to do certain kinds of offset positioning, like having a log that snaps 1m along, but it’d be great for QoL building stuff.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Well, I discovered flax. An endless amount of farming and dead goblins later, I ate some bread, sausages, and pie, drank a potion, invoked Bonemass, and thrashed the poo poo out of Yagluth. That was easier than I expected. I… may have adequately prepared for once.

Off to the mists, I suppose.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Mists initial trip report: oww gently caress

I’ve bootstrapped myself up to a mortar and pestle. To my surprise, a mortar and pestle is a key tool for making roast meat platters.

I appear to be fighting the zerg? and someone left a brood lord on patrol on the peninsula next to my house?? At least it seems nonplussed by the idea of randomly wrecking my stuff.

Everything I can kill seems to drop some sort of material that I can’t do anything with yet. Maybe I just need to find the right thing to mine. Having a ready source of iron would be great if I hadn’t cleared out three crypts right before killing Yag.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Eels posted:

Keep your eyes peeled. There's an alternate source of iron in the mistlands.

Yeah, sorry, that was the context of that. First thing I did my shiny new pickaxe was hit some rusting metal with it. Second was to get disappointed because I already had like ten stacks of iron at home. Third was to hit a bone and die of message overload.

This game has taught be to be terrified at times like this of two things: first, that I’ve overlooked that I can smelt iron with blood clots to make blutmetall, which is bright red and the key ingredient in making wine goblets; the second is that I will need to smelt iron ore and so everything I’ve already got is wasted.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

I mean that I’m always worried that I overlooked some basic thing that I can already do with the stuff I found because it’s a nondescript entry in a long list.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Haha, that would be very like this game

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
As long as it can get brutally murdered by passing monsters like the dwervr NPCs do.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

You could go for a full implementation of NPCs participating in combat but that might be beyond the devs ability. Might be nice though, give you a reason to design defences for them.

The dwervr do participate in combat, so you might be able to take advantage of existing code. I have personally looted a dwervr who got murked by a passing brood lord.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I haven’t felt a need for mass farming outside of the flax grind. I’m sure it’s rough if you’re farming for five, but as a solo player, I have essentially an infinite backstock of wolf meat, entrails, and honey, and that turns without any sweat into three meals that are totally adequate for most purposes (sausages, roast wolf, and wolf jerky). Bread if I specifically want stamina more than health. Vegetables just go into the higher-tier food that I use if I’m trying something adventurous.

I mean, if they ever implement gout I’ll have to seriously change things up, but…

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
A couple of screw-ups for me, too. Last night, I ganked by a 1-star Seeker on my longboat without a nearby base and had to sail back up from home in a karve (and bring new nails and sails for the longboat; thank you, game, for not having any way to recover stuff like that). And then today, I thought I’d open a crate in the middle of a crowded archaeological site, and I really should’ve anticipated the dwarves turning on me after that.

Oh, and as I was writing this I got attacked by a pufferfish. Almost died, too, because I had no idea what was happening.

Anyway, sailing home with my first extractors, and I turned that dig into a pretty nice base. Feel bad about killing the dwervr, though.

rjmccall fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Feb 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
So, I’ve been in the Mistlands for a few weeks. Sailed past a few broken rocks to a plausible island, built a stone house, started exploring. Turned out to not be so big after all: dvergr tower, ancient armaments, petrified ribcage, that’s it. That’s fine, I just swam to the next. Climb, swim, jump, fight. Cleared out an infested mine. Eventually I’d explored the whole archipelago. I figured, alright, that zone was small and must not have had everything, let’s try again.

So I sailed south to another patch of Mistlands. Same thing, archipelago, lots of jumping and swimming. This one had some slices of forest/plains across it, and it was clear to see: the game had generated a long, thin landmass, and wherever it was Mistlands, it broke that landmass up into a bunch of small, rocky islands. So I figured, that’s cool, that’s just how the biome is. Climb, swim, jump, fight. “Found” an abandoned dig, cleared out another mine. Still obviously missing something. For one, I’d built the new forge, but all it had was a few specialty weapons (and crossbow bolts). I’d even made the two-handed sword, and it had upgrades I couldn’t reach. I had a few sap extractors, but I couldn’t find anything to extract from. And I’d completely explored my second broken archipelago. On to the next?

Anyway, I sailed north from that zone and immediately discovered that continental Mistlands is a thing that does actually exist. I’m guessing the generator just wants to put broken islands around the edges, and if the zone is narrow, that’s all there ends up being. Kindof a pain! But I’ve found a whole lot of roots to tap, so I think I’m finally about to make some real progress.