Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

And god help anyone who starts building before discovering core wood like we did the first time through :v:

Hi, just got this on sale on Steam. This is me!

:smith:

e: I invaded the black forest and set up in an abandoned tower with multiple stories, not realizing there was a graydwarf nest within arrowshot. I wasn't too bothered at first by all the fighting, but once I managed to thin out their numbers and destroy the nest a troll showed up...and started breaking walls and floors on my second story converted fortress :gonk:

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jan 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

caleb posted:

I had a troll take out the wall I had placed all of my chests against in one of my first worlds right after I had moved into a bigger place and had just finished organizing everything. I absolutely hate organizing storage in crafting games so picking stuff up off of the lawn to do it for a second time was soul crushing. Once you know how to deal with them they are pretty fun to fight and can even help you out.

Sometimes I wish I could forget this game so I could re-live moments like:
"Why is that patch of blue sky over there moving?"
*Thud*
"What? Uh..."
*Thud*
*Thud*
"Oh no."

:derp:

I thought I could hide and he would go away, like I’d done with the greydwarves. I went upstairs and crouched, then suddenly there was a LOT of shaking.

He didn’t forget :gonk:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Wow, the skeletons got rude. I was inside my newly-built house building some inside stuff and thought I heard a few bow shots outside. By the time I got out there and found out who was shooting, a skeleton archer had shot 2 of my tamed boars.

I guess it took the nearest valid target since it couldn’t get line of sight to me? Dick move either way :laffo:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

johnny park posted:

I'd like to see them add currents to ocean water as just another way to engage with the actual sailing mechanics, which IMO is one of the most fun parts of the game. But other than that yeah, more points of interest and more enemies would be cool

I just set sail for the first time, it’s a ton of fun! Surprised they even considered tacking, let alone added it in.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Ravenfood posted:

Dumb question but it's my first time playing a patched game with mods on: do I need to re-download and reinstall V+ after the patch?

Check for an update, but you don’t necessarily need to re-download the mod. Sometimes they announce it wherever you downloaded it from, sometimes your mod manager (if you’re using one) will let you know.

This is my first patch after mods too, it’s nice when they don’t utterly break your entire mod list (looking at you two, Subnautica and 7Daystodie :mad: )

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The ocean waves in this game during a storm are obscenely cool, what the gently caress. They’re actually reminding me of being on a cruise ship and seeing 20-30ft monster waves off the sides.

Also, my longship got caught in a trough between 2 wave crests, and I’m pretty sure it took damage as the waves tried to fold it in half. I’m not entirely sure, because trying to sail through a storm is a fool’s errand and I’m the perfect fool for it :v:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Adding to that: I use the iron one to fight Loxes and come out ahead. Dodge->2 stabs, rinse/repeat until you’re collecting a hide.

It also does well against trolls, at least for me so far.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Eifert Posting posted:

The only Valheim boss I ever died to was the first deer God thing. It was going poorly for me because I was under prepared and so I ran back to my house thinking it would stick around It's spawn point.
I ran into my doorway and turned around just in time to see it Kool-Aid man It's way through the wall and it murdered me while leaving a perfect deer shaped hole in two walls of my home.

After that I over prepared for everything.

Lol same. I tried him early on and got my rear end handed to me. Also, I can’t help but call him “Elk-Thor” now after misreading his name like that once.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Spanish Matlock posted:

I built a pit to keep my loxen in with a wall and gate. I walked out of my base today and watched this absolute unit bust out of the door like the Kool-Aid Man and eat an entire greydwarf. That was probably worth it.

Watching one of them aggro a greydwarf and get pulled further into a Meadows biome on a rampage that even Odin himself would call “a bit much” is hilarious, and also a good way to collect wood if you don’t want to cut it yourself :getin:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I’m on a plains/meadows/Black Forest border. Hogs and deer nearby, lox if I’m feeling froggy, copper/tin if I need it, and barley won’t grow outside of the plains.

Just had an “you’re being hunted” event where the wolves killed me, broke down the door to my base, and slaughtered all my hogs/piggies :cry:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Thanks for the responses! I think based on the way we play and what I'm hearing, the ideal would be an intersection of some of the biomes. Personally I really want to be able to build a safe harbor for the aesthetic. Something like a walled village with a harbor at the center. A couple of the guys in the group are very much builders in the way they play these games and I didn't want them to feel like they wasted their time if we should have built our main hub in a later biome.

The biome intersections are also hilarious places to watch creatures from each biome aggro the hell out of each other. Watching a lox rampage through greylings and greydwarves is good clean fun :getin:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Yea I loved the frost caves, they’re just a pain to look for. I stumbled into my first one and used a map seed viewer to find more after I ran through some mountains looking for silver most everywhere and didn’t find any of them.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Hasselblad posted:

Just going to assume everything I view on the valheim reddit is built in ultra soft core mode after that patch.
I know that mods and dev commands exist, but that looks to be the final nail in the integrity coffin of the game.

You never built a base in a hard-as-gently caress area just because you could? My dunes base in Subnautica had its own built-in security that tried to eat me every time I came in.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

WoodrowSkillson posted:

dope.

yeah, there is a point where almost everyone starts just starts teleporting mats for late game luxuries. making one of every weapon and armor set, extra stuff for fixtures or high tier buildings that are not really needed, etc. I'd love it if there was a better way in game to reward exploration for its own sake in the late game. Maybe turning in maps to the merchant in exchange for money/mats or new NPCs or something.

There’s a (currently) missed opportunity lurking in here somewhere for a portal upgrade that lets you teleport ore/ingots, but only after you actually walk it back once.

The same way you have to walk/sail/somehow get to a place to set down your initial portal, but then travel is free back and forth. You’d still have the initial trip there/back, but afterwards it’d be an easy trip. I disliked having to go back for copper/tin when I was going through the plains, but that would make it less of a pain in the rear end.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Oxyclean posted:

On the other hand, modding communities have gotten comically toxic and petty even without money involved with stuff like people stealing work or purposefully breaking compatibility with other mods over design opinion differences that money becoming involved won't create a bigger mess or just lead to like 1000 paid mods of big tiddy anime lady model rips.

God, you’re reminding of the kerbal space program modder that literally put spyware in one of his mods that you had to dig around in the menus to go opt out of, and even among that pool of crazy dude managed to get driven out.

It wasn’t even his own mod, he had just taken over the main fork when the original dev abandoned it for a while iirc.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

We dug a trash pit in a game with friends, and threw all sorts of stuff down in it. A friend of mine fell in when some greydwarfs attacked us in the night, and one of the party got the idea to spartan-kick a greydwarf into the trash-pit with my poor friend who’d fallen in. My friend was freshly respawned and didn’t even have a weapon, so he got to sit down there and try to punch out a greydwarf that couldn’t run away, and the slope was too steep for him to climb. The cursing stopped suddenly with “welp, I’m loving dead again, thanks assholes”.

We didn’t kill the greydwarf, but sooner or later it had to have despawned and our trash guardian was gone :(

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

ErKeL posted:

I've just hit the plains for the first time. My mates and I never hold out long enough to get that deep into this game but it's been fun.

I made the decision to setup our main base in a big swamp and surprisingly it's paid off big. Turned out the entire island was nothing but swamp and 10% plains so it's free iron and black metal wherever we go.

Only time it ran into trouble was an event where a troll with a loving tree branch popped in to say hello with a single swing. Naturally my mates were afk in the base and did not hear me yelling on mic so I had to lead the trolls away and managed to get them distracted on draugr.

Abominations will usually win vs a troll but not by a whole lot, and whoever survives is an easy victim :twisted:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I liked the sailing and tacking, especially through storms :(

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

drewhead posted:

Welcome to team unnecessary bridge

That karve belongs in a mesuem

:stwoon:

How did you manage that?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Burns posted:

Lets not forget that dvergr can totally mess you up with their mages and crossbows. But they can make good temporary allies.

The first time I met one, I didn’t know what they were and just fired off an arrow, which was somehow a direct hit at a decent distance.

I saw a text bubble that said “that was a mistake”, and then a thorough rear end beating began :laffo:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Burns posted:

What are recommendations fro melee weapons in the mountain? Sword and board on very high is just not cutting it as even basic wolves do so much damage.

I had more luck with the mace than anything. The wolves stun you easily, but are also vulnerable to it iirc.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I love how apocalyptic the boss fights sound. “Cracked open a mountain and shattered some castle ruins, but the beast is down!” :laffo:

The boss music in this game is absolutely perfect. Eikthyr’s and Yagluth’s themes in particular would make some dangerously good workout music.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

punishedkissinger posted:

it's the most fun to have to deal with imo

My final base in my last game had a moat, with a single bridge access. The wolves event usually ended with me defending the bridge from the pack, retreating slowly down the way as they tried to push further in :black101:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The Karve is slightly slower at full sail than the longship (7 m/sec vs 9.4 m/sec, according to the Valheim wiki). Like you noticed, it does turn a bit better.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Althalin posted:

Right?!

Turns out that if you have the "water freezes in winter" option enabled, ships will still be able to sail, which can lead to frantically sailing away from a train of mobs who can suddenly cross the ocean on foot.

10/10 in my book

The mental image of thinking you’re safe from a troll because you got out to sea, and then thinking gently caress when it walks out there after you and bashes your ship with a tree is killing me :laffo:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Outright beating Bonemass to death is possibly one of my most satisfying moments in any game. Just pure “gently caress you, here’s a goddamned mace to the face that’s going to repeat until you stop breathing” energy.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Do the trolls get pasted by the swamp denizens?

Troll vs abomination is largely even, iirc. Whoever survives is badly mauled enough that they can be dealt with fairly quick.

Troll vs anyone else in the swamp: lol

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Dwesa posted:

We can make piles of skulls :getin:

See, here's the problem: the second you put 2 together, you need to keep adding them otherwise the Blood God gets angrier. It always turns into "SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE", and nobody ever wants to share theirs :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Eels are the bane of my existence when I’m in the swamps, for my boats getting wrecked :argh: