Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Been playing the game recently with friends, the game is very enjoyable to build in and explore and I don't know what exactly they did right but it manages to thread that needle between the grinds being too long and annoying and sense of accomplishment for unlocking a new batch of recipes and technology.

Comfort levels giving a gameplay reason to add cosmetic decorations is great, smoke physics requiring you to actually think about how to add a chimney to your building is amazing, structural integrity being part of buildings is great so that everything isn't a square box or a tower to the sky and support beams play a actual role, your base coming under attack makes you think on how to plan it out so a horde or some trolls don't just flatten it, dancing around a troll as it destroyed materials I couldn't harvest yet was a great feeling as I skipped ahead to a early fine bow.

I do have some annoyances I hope they work on during early access though.

It shouldn't require a crafting bench placed to build anything, I get what they wanted to go for but you just end up with random unused benchs everywhere as you expand your base.

Crafting should pull available resources from all nearby chests instead of just your inventory.

Bronze is a hell of a grind to the point I don't see myself wasting it on any weapons or armor with their steep prices, which takes a bit of the thrill out of unlocking a new tech level.

Sute cores probably shouldn't be required for the kiln since it feels cheesey to destroy/build the smelter and kiln when not using the other until you got 10 total cores.

Berries should be farmable.

Rafts should have oars.

Terrain modification needs work and some people discovered that modifiying the terrain too much can cause FPS drops in areas as the game keeps track of every difference from the default generation and can get overloaded with info to keep track of.

Anyway to end on have some pictures of the place I built.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Gort posted:

Destroy the bench after you're done building the thing

Yea, but why even include that step then? what does it add?

Communist Bear posted:

I absolutely love your cross design for the windows! :) Going to do that myself.

Thanks, I really liked how it came out.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Feb 23, 2021

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I think one of the systems that works really well in this game compared to others is the food/potion system.

In most games, they are either just a mandatory "eat 4 roasted chickens every 8 hours or starve" tax or to prevent sprint from being disabled, or the game is so easy you never have to let any of it touch your lips to beat it.
In Valheim you absolutely need to use food to handle tough encounters but you don't need to eat just to not starve to death, you can run around with your 25 base health in your base just fine, the buffs taking awhile to kick in once you start eating and weakening over time is also a neat effect.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It is really, really fun to build in this game.

Little mining outpost I built in about half a hour.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I'm at the point of world exploration where I need to think up a good design for a portal hub so that the portals don't get messy with multiple transfers to get anywhere.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

So... how would one go about bridging this gap and reach the mountain on the other side?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I do like how modders have already come up with nice common sense improvements, such as crafting tables pulling resources from nearby chests, crafting tables radius improving with level of the table, automatically replanting crops you harvest and this nice looking one that adds a equipped inventory that would fix my annoyance at a ever-shrinking inventory as you get more stuff to wear.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Midgetskydiver posted:

Are these mods easy to install and run? Do they require the server to have them running or are they client side? A little info on these would be really great.

I've only just started testing them out myself and valheim updated so I got to wait for the server to update to see if they play nice, but from what I hear a lot of these mods you can run on a per-player basis, which can seem a bit cheaty if everyone has to go out and seek these mods out to benefit from them and nobody can tell what others have, but I'm mostly sticking to nice qol minor mods like increased boat radius exploration and other mentioned mods, though I suspect if something breaks the equipment mod you'll probably lose whatever was in the modded inventory, probably still worth it though for qol.

Doh004 posted:

I've just started getting iron. Any recommendations on which pieces to first upgrade to?

Also, my first swamp only seems to have 3 crypts. Is that enough or should I keep scouting for a more plentiful swamp?

Mace and shield are nice as mentioned, a iron helmet would be a nice upgrade over troll leather and a iron axe and pickaxe would do you a lot of good, probably save to save the rest for decorations and forge improvements.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

CRAYON posted:

Anyone have any giant portal rooms (like 15+ portals)? I keep seeing screenshots and I'm pretty curious where they all go.

I'm fully upgraded highest tier and just have the 5th boss to kill. I have 3 portals.

It's my next project to build with 3 bosses down, it's for quick access to the various established outposts in the world and hauling non-ores back to a central location or quickly accessing a outposts junk piles.

Fun thing about a portal hub is you can build it anywhere in the world and it doesn't matter where.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Even though blobs are resistant to pierce you can still kill them in a few arrows from safety and avoid the risk of missing a 1 shot with a mace and getting poisoned for 20 seconds.

Honestly I found just using the bow with a unlimited supply of wooden arrows to take care of every enemy you regularly get swarmed with in the game, no reason to waste resources on anything above wooden unless you want to be fancy with fire arrows or you are reaching endgame and want to make something stronger for the last few encounters.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Pretty accurate not gonna lie.
https://www.reddit.com/r/valheim/comments/lwdrly/first_time_in_the_mountains_like/

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Will be interesting to see where they take the game in a year with new biomes/random landmarks/new enemies and resources and if there will be anything new to do in the world once you've beaten every boss.

Though in the meantime I imagine they will be too busy dealing with their new giant piles of money from 5 million copies sold.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Some tips for new players or people having a hard time:

• Get a fine wood bow ASAP and upgrade it as more fine wood becomes available, it's a huge step above a crude bow and even less resource intensive due to how precious leather scraps are early, you can either beat the first boss and mine copper like a smuck or enlist the aid of a friendly troll or other trees to knock down birches for you, a fully upgraded fine wood bow will carry you the entire game no problem.
  • Fully upgraded troll leather armor will last you the entire game and is easy to acquire the materials.
  • Once you've got a sizable stack of surtling cores and access to fine wood keep a portal in your pocket whenever you go exploring and collecting whatever you find on the ground, you can't take ores through but you can empty everything else back at your home base and then portal right back, always take a portal with you on boat rides for when you want to make landfall on a new continent, portals are still handy for mining just to shorten the return trip to the mining deposit.
  • Build carts and boats on-site instead of dragging them from your base to the edge of the world.
  • Wood arrows and fire arrows can handle every enemy in the game just fine and you don't need to spend resources on anything fancier at this point in the game's life unless you are pushing something new and difficult, if a enemy ends up taking a extra wooden arrow to kill then if you used a fancy arrow, then you just get to build more bow skill.
  • Most enemies can't climb or descend a small rocky ledge which can help you keep enemies out of your base.
  • Crafting stations and possibly other player buildings prevent enemy spawns in case you don't want gray dwarves to gift you their wood and resin every 10 seconds or want a little space to protect your farm, though a small fence helps keeps pests out.

And finally when entering the bronze age and iron age, this is what I would recommend prioritizing and what I would recommend against building:
  • Bronze age: get a bronze axe ASAP, followed by a buckler if using one handers, I also regret not making a bronze mace or spear when I entered the bronze age but the bronze axe is completely combat capable, skip bronze armor and the bronze pickaxe, it doesn't do anything the antler pickaxe can't do but you got to repair it at a forge constantly.
  • Iron age: Banded shield ASAP, followed by pickaxe, axe, mace and iron helmet and enough iron to turn into 100 iron nails to bring home for longboats, the entire rest of the iron equipment is optional and iron body armor and pants aren't too huge of a upgrade over fully upgraded troll leather still to be worth the 10% movement penalty while exploring, with the iron mace the boss and the rest of the swamp denizens won't be much trouble and will last until you get access to silver weapons and armor.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I'm pretty sure you can also use the giant two handed battleaxe to cut trees too though I haven't tried it.

It can cut trees but it's nothing special.

Gully Foyle posted:

The cost of flinthead arrows is super minimal over wood arrows for a decent chunk of damage increase. Flint is easy to find on any shoreline, and you can either shoot birds or just explore for feathers. Plus once you get to the Black Forest, flinthead arrows are in most chests, so it's nice not to manage more than one type of ammo.

Yeah, but the damage increase is so small it might not be killing the enemy any faster then a wooden arrow while requiring you to take trips along the shoreline and shooting birds instead of saving up for fancier arrows with those feathers.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Get a iron helmet because it's cheap and no movement penalty, but I feel like I could of easily skipped iron chest/legs until I got silver, you do want some fancy armor for the plains just so you don't get randomly 1-2 shot by a javelin thrower or deathsquito you didn't see coming.

I built a bronze pickaxe but ultimately put it in storage because it was easier to just make a crafting station outside a crypt or next to a copper vein.

Another tip for beginners is knowing what the various status effects like rested, cold, wet do, you can check ingame by hitting tab and checking the raven but here they are:

Wet: Health regen -25% Stamina regen -15%, sit by a fire to dry up fast, you can also build campfires in crypts as the one dry place in the swamp.
Cold: Health regen -50% Stamina regen -25%, get the pelts for a warm cloak in the fourth or fifth biomes
Rested: Health regen +50% Stamina regen +100% Very important to rest up before adventuring or making a campfire as you go

125% health regen and 140% stamina regen difference between your high point and low point and fighting hordes of enemies at night can quickly turn into a war of attrition as it takes longer and longer to get the stamina to swing back.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Bows are just the best option most of the time, I didn't even touch most of the other stuff besides bows and a axe until iron.

On top of that, bow skill is probably one of the best skills to max out on because not only does it increase your damage per hit but it increases your draw speed to hit full power shots faster, even at 40ish bow skill you can charge it fast enough to stagger enemies quickly.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

genericnick posted:

Do Greydwarfs hate turnips? I'm thinking about where to set up a field and whether to do so inside my defensive parameter.

They will claw at your turnips at night, you'll want to fence them in and maybe space some crafting benches around the edges of the fields.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I hope down the line there is a bit of a rebalance of early metal costs, it takes 20 iron to make a iron bow and 60 more to fully upgrade it, just to end up with something that does less damage then the next tier basic bow.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

Where the gently caress can I find more burial crypts for Surtling cores? There seem to be none at all in several of these black forest biomes.

Biome spoilers Travel far, far south and you'll find enemies that drop Surtling cores as a regular item.

_____! posted:

As long as we're daydreaming lowest priority not feasible things I would love the map gen to include waterfalls.:allears:

I love the water effects with tides and huge waves during storms but it does feel a bit limiting with no water above the ocean level and no way to drain water from holes at that level.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Mar 6, 2021

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I imagine the current metal costs are partway tied to it being early access and them needing to add filler before people find the end of the game rather quickly.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Mar 6, 2021

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
So here are client side mods I'd give my recommendation for people to try out as quality of life improvements.

First you'll need the mod loader.
https://valheim.thunderstore.io/package/denikson/BepInExPack_Valheim/

Then the mods themselves starting with what I think are the biggest QoL improvements.

Faster teleportation - reduces the portal load times by half and dungeons are instant transitions
https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/59
Boat exploration radius - If you want to actually map out coastlines from your boat and not just leave little thin lines across a vast ocean, made exploration a lot more fun.
https://valheim.thunderstore.io/package/nearbear/BiggerBoatMapExploreRadius/
Remember IP damnit - saves login info to the last dedicated server you used, must have if you play on one.
https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/41?tab=description
Craft from containers - let's your crafting benches and other buildings pull resources from your nearby chests, huge timer saver and convenience to see how much of everything you have on hand.
https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/40
Map sync - share your exploration with your friends if they also have the mod.
https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/42?tab=description
More slots and equipment slots - the default inventory space is extremely limited by the time you are out of the stone age and you want to actually have room to try different weapons, you are still limited by carry weight but a single dandelion or resin won't cause you to have to do inventory management before continuing on, I right now just use equipment slots but more slots would be a good alternative, or you can run both at once, it's up to you.
https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/103
https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/92?tab=bugs
Crop replant - greatly improves the speed of harvesting and replanting your crops and helps with the tedium of doing it over and over.
https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/99?tab=description

There are more mods out there but these I feel give the biggest enjoyment improvements to the game without being cheaty or differing from the base game in any real way and mostly just saving you time from the more tedious time wastes.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Mar 6, 2021

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Echophonic posted:

Have you had any issues with the equipment slots one? I keep reading bugs about how it deletes armor, which sounds annoying.

I use a chunk of the rest already, that's a good list.
I also liked Clock, changed to fuzzy, so you get like 'early morning' a the top of the screen. https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/85. Discard inventory items is solid, too. https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/45

I'm using Vortex, which installs a different version of BepInEx, I believe. I haven't needed to do anything besides installed the Unstripped DLLs it suggests so far.

The only issue I've had is when I had a full inventory when I died and when I went back to my marker I had to dump out 8 junk items onto the ground to make space for the now invisible items on my death marker after hitting take-all, I could see that bit of jank being the cause of the issue for some people and a issue if you died in a still hostile area, the more slots mod is probably the better one to use but I like having a character loadout.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Usually smelt new metals at a brand new outpost on-site to forge into stuff that can go through portals, but now I mostly need iron for forge improvements and decoration so I took a little longboat and portal trip around the ocean.

This will last me awhile.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
If it didn't eat stamina I'd put down long roads as I go but it's hard to get lost in this game with the map and waypoints you can set which eliminates most of the need for a fancy road system.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I'm hoping in a update far down the line they deem to give basic enemies more then 1 attack animation, trolls got at least two at least.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I hope in a future update they make it so comfort items radius is vastly increased, it's weird having to hunt for the most comfy spot in large buildings.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Floppychop posted:

"The night is darkest before dawn" is just a cliche saying with no basis in reality though.

And I find many games make night too dark, especially this one. A full moon on a clear night is actually fairly easy to see in. New moon or cloudy night is another story, but yeah. Go camping folks, it's fun and you learn stuff

I am hoping if they get around to the "moon phases" update on the roadmap they get around to increasing night time light by a lot on clear nights.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I'm debating whether or not to kill Bonemass on my group's "main" server or get people together to kill him on a mirror server. My friends are mostly casual builder types and I'm concerned killing Bonemass will ramp up the difficulty and dissuade them from Viking legos.

Is the increase in difficulty noticeable after Bonemass? Do wolves and ice drakes attack your base after he's been defeated?

Ice drakes attack, but they can cower in their buildings and shoot them with bows, skeletons do start wandering the world I noticed but those mostly kill gray dwarves and deer at night.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Fuzzysocksucker posted:

So I'm going about my viking business and I see an oddly pointy rock ahead. I was going to sail over anyways because I'm always mapping sandbars, rocks, and other navigation hazards and... I know this must be a world gen bug because the whole vicinity is a screwy barely submerged area but it looks cool. Not pictured: the dragur making angry ineffectual dragur noises under my longboat. My map now contains a marker 'sunken hut'. I love this game.

I think they will need to make a "small island" biome for how often you travel through biomes that are entirely underwater.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Scruffpuff posted:

I second this. I suspect all the Bonemass anxiety and cheesing YouTube videos are from his reputation, not actual difficulty or mechanics. It's easier than any Dark Souls boss by far. His attack patterns are absurdly predictable and seem to run on a fixed rotation. Sausage, meat, I personally used honey for the extra regen and I was pleasantly surprised how manageable it actually was. It he were a raid boss in WOW people would be picketing Blizzard headquarters for "catering to the casuals."

Yeah I really don't understand the sort of people who build a treehouse to shoot him with 200 frostarrows like you can't fully regenerate your health in the time it takes him to wind up a second attack, just build a upgraded bronze mace or tier 1 iron mace, just have a meal at a campfire and rest up and swig your poison resistance mead right before you fight him and wail on him with the mace while he takes 10+ seconds between each attack.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
You got some screenshots of that mountain road or naw?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Of the melee weapons I've tried, spear is probably the best due to it's attack speed and fancy throw when you want to style on something, fang spear is a top weapon, maces are second best just because of how much is weak to bludgeoning damage, frostmer is ... okay, though, porcupine is better but by the time you get access to it the game is pretty much over.

Swords just don't have a place until they add enemies weak to slashing exclusively like there are for piercing and bludgeon.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

Getting a lot more map visibility while sailing would be really handy for at least rudimentary map making and maybe base locating/scouting.

I highly recommend everyone get the boat exploration radius mod, especially if you are the type to like to fill out the giant map while exploring, awhile back a bunch of people were posting about raging at not finding a large enough swamp while sailing around and wanting to quit and that mod would of done the trick.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Just upgrade your bow as far as it'll go and make 200+ wooden arrows, use lox as training to get your bow skill to 30-40+ to where the bow becomes a deadly machine gun.

The damage difference between wooden arrows and the others is really nothing compared to bow skill and the bow itself and Lox, like every enemy in this game, don't have a single attack that beats walking backwards.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 13, 2021

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I hope in future updates they give enemies and even players more mobile attack animations and let players dodge out of attack animations, backpedaling beats every melee enemy right now, letting players keep some movement while swinging or giving enemies attacks that chase the player would be interesting.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It's hard to describe what exactly they did right in this, but you can feel that they did it right.

I think the art style probably helped it out, if it was a post-apocalyptic brown on brown survival crafter with baby programmers first guns this game probably would not of been a surprise hit.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Can be handy to make a temporary portal to send non-ores through the portal first to lighten the load and make the cart easier to handle.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
There is a mod for that.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Would something like that work for multiplayer? The stuff I've read suggests mods are client side and for stuff like inventory I get it - but I wasn't sure for something like this.

It works in multiplayer and the server and other players don't need to run it to let you run it.

Taffer posted:

Like others have said the combat can be very unforgiving - however if this family member is willing to do a little grinding, the game gives you all the tools to be well-prepared enough that the next progression step becomes pretty trivial. Most people try and blitz through and step into the danger zone without fully upgrading everything, because frankly fully upgrading everything at the current tier takes a lot of time. But with patience and good weapons/armor/food/potion you can handle the next step in the progression without breaking a sweat.

So in the meadow stage, full upgrade troll armor, in the dark forest stage fully upgrade bronze gear, etc. And make the best food and potions that you can at any stage. If you do that then the game is pretty chill.

I think the trick with this game is to find what is "skippable" in each tier and still be able to reach the next tier, like a fully upgraded finewood bow will let you skip iron bows until you get to silver and that saves you a whoppin' 80 iron to fully upgrade that bow, I even skipped the crude bow and just had a troll help me chop down birch trees, I skipped leather armor because with a finewood bow troll armor is easy to access and close enough to bronze armor to skip that too and let's you skip whackin' rocks a few hundred times and deforesting a small area just for coal, bronze axe fully upgraded will probably let you skip iron axes until black metal, stuff like that.

You can take it slow and make everything in every tier before moving on and chillax and make what game there is last longer though, the family member can hang around the meadows and black forest without really worrying about the combat so long as they run away from trolls and just focus on the building and exploration aspects.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Mar 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Scruffpuff posted:

I think it's worth making at least tier 1 everything because they make great decorations.

Most of my bronze went into wall mounts once I realized you could paint shields different styles.