Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I think the "Dark Souls" part is literally just, "The game has bosses".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Has anyone got any good layouts for buildings? For my own purposes, I just need stuff you can build before killing any bosses.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Shoehead posted:

Because of my schedule playing poo poo with other people just doesn't happen any more, not even with Goons. I miss it.

Uh anyway anyone know how to divide stacks? My boars are starving!

Shift-click stuff to divide it.

How do you tame boars?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Is there a list of what the various status effects actually do somewhere?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

God drat, the third boss is a pain in the rear end.

Even with an iron mace, full iron armour and poison resist mead, the dude just has infinite hitpoints, and mine don't come back fast enough. He has a million adds at all times, too.

I might just try upgrading all my gear to max level and going again with the best food I can get - sausages and a couple of mushrooms weren't cutting it.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Turns out this game has healing and stamina potions I probably should've been using to beat the third boss.

This feels like one of those, "So trivial nobody mentioned it", things.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Spanish Matlock posted:

Honestly we 2-manned the bonemass the first time and then poo poo housed it with four people the second. Poison resisg potions, iron mace/shield, turnip soup, sausage, fish. Bring some medium health and minor stam potions (like 6 of each) and you're golden. Make sure to stay on top of the blobs he throws.

It's also good to set up some wood spike walls before hand and have a nearby portal. The spike walls help protect you from any wandering draugr archers and etc during the fight.

Yeah, this is good advice for bonemass.

It took us (a pair) three tries to get him since we had been ignoring health and stamina mead since natural regeneration had been plenty until this point. With bonemass you simply cannot do enough damage quickly enough without the health and stamina potions - his endless adds, poison AOEs and the constant rain effect will see to that.

Bonemass is just "consumables: The boss" - he's a gear check, really. If you have all the following you'll probably be fine:

1. Three good food items (we did sausage, jam and carrot soup, but anything on that level should be OK)
2. Poison resistance mead
3. Health mead
4. Stamina mead
5. Iron equipment, preferably mace and shield
6. Some arrows and a huntsman bow for if he's just sitting in a poison AOE or your health is low
7. The rested buff - put a portal nearby

When I didn't have number 3 and 4 the fight was basically impossible. When I had all seven, it was of middling difficulty only, it never felt like I was likely to lose.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I meant "Minor stamina mead" but that tasty mead sounds worth checking out

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Nosre posted:

Any tips for making honey easier? We had a devil of a time finding queens but eventually got 5 setup, only to get all 5 destroyed in a raid. I'll protect them better next time, but finding queens is a PITA.

My only idea is doing fresh single player worlds to look

You just run around the meadows looking for abandoned houses with hives on them, then dismantle the part of the house that has the hive on it so the hive despawns, leaving the queen behind. You can plop a workbench down nearly anywhere, and I always get a queen from the hive this way.

Sounds like the real trick is to not have all your hives smashed in a raid

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

It shouldn't require a crafting bench placed to build anything, I get what they wanted to go for but you just end up with random unused benchs everywhere as you expand your base.

Destroy the bench after you're done building the thing

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

mastershakeman posted:

wow i had a horrible fight against moder. i liked the first 3 quite a bit, i was prepped pretty well for bonemass so that helped

against moder i figured ok, dragon, ill bring a maxed out draugr bow and 130 needle arrows + some wood ones. bow skill 35. the area i fought him was all uneven with crags . moder kept landing and kind of spinning around, i'd go up and try to melee him, but couldnt time a parry. no big deal, his swipes didnt hurt much vs my carrot soup+lox meat+sausage.

but...i just couldnt hit her for poo poo. the amount of stamina i'd used trying to go up rocks to hit her meant i didn't have much t oswing, and i missed at least half the time with my frostner. just kept whiffing.

eventually i just arrowed her to death. burned through all my needle arrows and a bunch of wooden too. super annoying. oh, and her ice attack from the air? could never read it right (on all low settings) so i'd usually not get hit but sometimes get knocked down to 20 hp and have to potion (this happened twice). burned through almost all my stamina potions just trying to keep damage up

maybe i should have flattened the entire mountaintop.

Did you get the rested buff beforehand?

Not sure if parrying Moder works, I just dodged all the attacks when I was meleeing.

But yeah, trying to melee in an area that's hard to move around in is going to be tough. Bring a few hundred arrows, obsidian or better.

Regarding the ice attack from the air, just run sideways and jump when you see it coming.

Drink a frost resist potion before you start.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i don't quite follow the technical details of the materials post; it seems to be saying you can make wooden structures 800m high, so i think there's a bit of context missing in the loss values section

I'm wondering if the "loss value" is listed in number of pieces, so a horizontal span of one piece of stone will fall apart instantly (loss value 1), while you can stack nine pieces of core wood vertically? (loss value 0.1)

Edit: Re-reading it I'm more baffled than before

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Game really needs a pit you can throw sacrifices to Odin into, like eight million greydwarf eyes and resin

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

ghostinmyshell posted:

I might have missed this in a tutorial, but is there a way to get stuff like scraps and flint if you are stuck on a deserted island with no Meadows biome?

How would you even unintentionally achieve such a situation in the first place

But yeah

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Yeah, I am absolutely not holding my breath for Valheim to get any development at all. Play what's there and quit when you do it all is my plan. Maybe come back in a few years, this poo poo ain't changing fast.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Sixto Lezcano posted:

Pleasantly surprised by how many mods work without modding the server. Got some real QOL stuff going now. I can recycle old gear for half the mats, I can gobble up trophies for small skill bumps, and my exploration radius scales with my Run skill. Little things, but they’ve filed off just enough friction to keep me hooked.

Whoa, trophies for skill points makes so much sense.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Must say I've never really noticed my skills make a difference so the "I died and my skills" comments really go over my head

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

scopes posted:

We thought we were prepared, we were not. Bonemass absolutely ate our lunch last night.

You need potions - poison resist, stamina, health. Swamp conditions means just relying on natural health and stamina regeneration doesn't cut it.

Second to that, decent armour and a mace.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Achtane posted:

I hate the swamp so much that I just cheated in a bunch of iron. Doing anything in the swamp just feels like work.

You cheated not only the game, but yourself. You didn't grow. You didn't improve. You took a shortcut and gained nothing. You experienced a hollow victory. Nothing was risked and nothing was gained. It's sad that you don't know the difference.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Bioshuffle posted:

Checklist before tackling bonemass.

1. Plenty of poison res potions for everyone.
2. Medium health potions for everyone.
3. Enough iron bars to make level 3 mace and shield. One person gets an AOE weapon to clear trash. We'll be in a mix of iron and troll leather gear.
4. Flatten out the area I'll be fighting him in so we can kite him around without worrying about leeches.

Is there anything else? I am not going to farm frost arrows.

Yeah, get some stamina potions. Stamina regen in the swamp is bad, and you'll want to move around a bunch.

Ditch the AOE weapon idea, it's not worth it.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Ravenfood posted:

I'm not sure why people are putting so many fire arrows into the Elder: I brought 300 because of the warnings and it took 80 total, including misses and arrows inadvertently fired into greydwarves. Given how good the Finewood bow is compared to the crude bow, I maxed that poo poo out immediately.

Number of players alters the HP of bosses

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Bioshuffle posted:

I feel like Bonemass fight was almost perfectly balanced for four people. The four of us were able to take him down in one go. Each of us had some dicey patches in the fight where we came close to death, but we had enough medium healing potions to run away and recover while the others kept damaging him.

I can't imagine trying to do that with less than four people, though.

enemies scale depending on your number of players

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

dialhforhero posted:

I have never seem a mob swim. Wade in walkable shallow water? Yes. Swim? No.

Only deer.

Make the area around the dock deep enough and they won’t go further.

They swim all the time, dude.