Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I cannot stress this enough but ROADS.

The hoe has a pathmaking and area flattening tool. Use it to make roads. If you're going to run to an area more than once (copper mining) build a road. Do it the one time and every successive time will be easier and faster. Also you can use them to take carts with you for things like copper mining. Also roads (especially through the forest) look cool as hell. Take it upon yourself to build a road to the place you're mining and a little hut there with some beds/chests/workshop/forge. Your friends will thank you.

NuckmasterJ posted:

Have any of you goons made highways for carts yet? I've been trying to progress into Bronze but its such a slog as a solo player, trying to move copper and tin, then finding Pine trees and going a bit ham on them too. I was trying to build a mini highway into the Dark Forest with the Hoe's pathing tool but its pretty rough.

Do you goons just auto run back and fourth with a few pickaxes for a few hours to get enough bronze to beefcake it up?

The first boat upgrade has a storage chest in it. Assuming that the black forest borders the water you could just do that. I'm playing with friends on a rented server, so infrastructure is a huge benefit for everyone, but if you're solo then maybe the boat is a better option.

Spanish Matlock fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

KirbyKhan posted:

I have no idea what to even look for in a server. The off-sites that I usually use for Rust are sparse for a game that released a week ago. When I look in-client I have an interface that matches the ps1 era graphics.

Thinking about just jumping into "Yeetinheim"

I haven't clicked on anything, but the key icon implies that all of these servers are password protected.

I don't know if you can unpassword a server. I think there's some kind of problem with it in the game. On the other hand, this very much isn't Rust so these aren't meant to be 40 person servers. There's no way to protect your stuff until 2.5 biomes in or so, so they're not really public server friendly.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Lincolnstein posted:

I might just be a baby but the poison tick from a slime is a little harsh, and I loving hate them. :)

Poison resistance mead is your friend for loving with the swamp.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Fellis posted:

This hasn’t been the case for me, like sure it doesnt matter for things that cost wood, but we dismantled a craft bench upgrade cause someone placed it poorly and had to spend 20 min getting flint/hide/leather to rebuild it

Its made people in my server pretty paranoid about dismantling anything especially now that we’ve gotten into bronze stuff and it takes forever to smelt

You definitely get 100% of your materials back. I have moved our forge around the base to build mead barrels, for example. Sometimes it can feel like you're not getting everything back but the answer is almost always that the stuff is stuck under a [thing] somewhere. Our Karve flipped itself over today for some reason while we weren't around and we could even still get everything back with some creative Dutch technique and free-diving.

NuckmasterJ posted:

*EDIT Question; I built a new larger base, its flat roofed with support beams to hold up the roof. I made a bunch of half wall windows to you know, make it plesent. Well I just had a rain storm and now my entire structure is at half health. Is it because the windows? Or does wood have to be protected by actual "Roof" materials?

Nailed it in two. Unlike most games "Floor" is not equal to "Roof".

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Broken Cog posted:

Is there any way to hang trophies on the walls?

Yes! You need to reach bronze and there's two item mounts that you can use for this purpose.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

So the biggest problem we're having on our server right now is Iron. We just cleared our first swamp ruin and brought back 62 iron bars, and we thought that we'd be sorted for some new equipment, but man the price increase is huge. 20 bars to make a thing is insane. We haven't found any other crypts either. The Bonepile is like half the map away from our current base so we've got some exploring to do but hopefully we'll find a more forgiving region to move our smelters and forges to.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Fart Car '97 posted:

What happens is anything that's disassembled at below full health drops limited materials. A lot of things will degrade to half health if they are rained on (or in the case of structural stuff, if it's not properly supported) which means you'll get limited return on materials if you don't repair the thing before disassembling it.

Oh hey that's a good point. I hadn't thought about that. Weird considering that repair is totally free but good to know.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

explosivo posted:

Guh, I'm just about finished with copper and upgraded all of my gear as much as I can so I was wondering when Iron stuff would start showing up and this scares me. I really wish you could bring metal through portals, make bars teleport-able but ores not or something so at least we need to smelt before bringing it through.

Notably you can bring surtling cores through, so I mean worst case scenario if you have your bars at a portal just knock down your smelter and take it over there? I think that the prohibition is mainly to prevent people from portal abusing by just knocking up a portal at the copper vein/sunken crypt/etc.

Edit: I get the desire to portal metal but boats, roads, and carts are all pretty cool and if I could portal metal I'd never make any of those things, or I'd make them for no reason. I feel the same about the comfort stat of your house. In Conan we put rugs and tables and mugs and strippers everywhere but most of that had no purpose at all, so as we went through the game our bases got more and more utilitarian and less fantastical. I kind of feel like this game does really well to incentivize spending the time to build something crazy.

Like right now our big issue is that there's a rocky strait between us and the boss and we can't get our longship through so we're just gonna go down there and knock out all those rocks and widen the canal.

Spanish Matlock fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 12, 2021

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Shredder posted:

I didn't even bother with a cart, that would be a nightmare, it was bad enough in the black forest.

If you've found the vendor, you can buy the belt that increases carry capacity by 150 and I was able to get 23ish per run, my forge was just a bit away from the bottom of the mountain so it wasn't horrible.

I mean by the time you're mining silver you should have found at least one flame vent and so forges and charcoal for everyone everywhere always woo woo

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

The biggest improvement to the system would be something like Conan where you can raise or lower the pieces and have them seek a snap at the new level. The secret to building in this game is remembering that your cursor has to hit the edge of the piece you want it to snap to, which, from your perspective, might be like a single pixel wide. That's basically it.

One really good thing about this game's building system is that pieces don't have to snap to count as connected for the purposes of support. This is a godsend for bridge building, since you can just slide a support under the one coming down from the bridge, phase it through that support, and call it a day. I don't think I've ever seen a system work like that before. I'm pretty sure in Ark and Conan support only counted if the pieces snapped together.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

I flattened out a mountain peak to make our mountain base for exploring the new biome today. The terrain deformation system is excellent once you understand how the pickaxe+hoe interact.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

mrmcd posted:

Does this game ramp up difficulty after beating a boss? I killed the first boss before I found flint and was trying to collect it by the lake shore but there's just a constant stream of greydwarves suiciding against my hut and then a troll showed up and now there's a troll camping my two corpses.

I got most of my stuff back but it's really annoying. I just want flint to upgrade my workbench!!

Once we beat the elder and/or discovered the swamp we started getting draugr invasions.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Badly Jester posted:

We've not encountered any issues so far - certainly seems like the "game logic" pauses when no one is logged in and apparently even when no one is near the base. Attacks only seem to happen when someone's actually there.

As I understand it attacks happen on players near structures. If neither of those are true (no players or no structures) you're fine. Worst you'll get is having to protect your groups base from high level baddies alone because you popped on to refill the raspberry chest.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

xzzy posted:

Do kilns and smelters need to be indoors? I had a kiln poof once when it was outdoors and I've built them inside ever since, but now it's limiting the beauty of my base building and I want that stuff outdoors again.

So curious if the kiln disappearing was a weird bug or part of the plan.

I have never built either of those indoors.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Omi no Kami posted:

Is Fishing worth it? I saved up my funbucks and already bought the other merchant stuff, so stuffing my pockets with bait is no big deal, but there's so much to do that I dunno if I should be prioritizing it or not.

It only takes a few minutes to nab 6-10 fish, which compare favorably to meat and let you save meat for sausages and stew.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

The cart is a land boat. We have a big-ish continent that our central base is on so roads make more sense for us. Road building is a fun activity as well and if nothing else it makes forestry easier as you need more wood. Just take a cart down the road and work your way back killing the wood piles you made while building it.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Fart Car '97 posted:

At first no it's not but eventually yes definitely

Fishing is worth it almost immediately. Fish are equivalent to cooked meat and take almost no time to catch. Later on they're used to make better food but they're straight up the best third food available at the time you get access to them.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

I had to download our server map for reasons and I decided to do a bit of a base photo shoot.

Our main base in the meadows next to the black forest.

Mountains

Pigs

A southern outpost we made because the Bonemass spawned half a world away.

A longhouse my friend made when he joined the server before he met up with us.

A swamp staging ground we made to fight the bonemass (portal is upstairs, fire is downstairs to dry off/heal)

Our base camp for the mountain base. A place to park the boat before heading up to drag silver down.

A small tower in the swamp to store iron from the ~7 crypts we found nearby.

A copper mining outpost from when we were first entering the bronze age.

A small fort in the forest one of our players made to practice building skills.

None of it is very fancy, but it all serves a purpose and I think it looks really natural and good without a ton of effort on the part of our players.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Ambaire posted:

Earlier, a tree club troll felled a tree next to some other trees and then refused to path over the fallen tree; cheesed him to death by repeatedly moving a meter back and forth and he'd path the long way around instead of just walking over it.

But the aggroed greydwarfs are the worst. Try to aim with the bow and they change direction just as I fire, every loving time. Starting to wonder if it's deliberate.

At some point I realized that greydwarves were doing fractional damage (0.1 dmg per hit or something) and now I kind of just don't even pay attention to them.

Edit: there should be an enemy ai mod where if a creature does less than 1 damage on a strike it just backs up slowly and leaves.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Honestly we 2-manned the bonemass the first time and then poo poo housed it with four people the second. Poison resisg potions, iron mace/shield, turnip soup, sausage, fish. Bring some medium health and minor stam potions (like 6 of each) and you're golden. Make sure to stay on top of the blobs he throws.

It's also good to set up some wood spike walls before hand and have a nearby portal. The spike walls help protect you from any wandering draugr archers and etc during the fight.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Drunk in Space posted:

The only time I've had to use the console so far in this game was when I died after wandering a bit too close to some plains, and respawned at a bed in the mountains. Dumbass me didn't think to stock it with some food and cold resistance mead, and I couldn't make it out of the biome in time to reach my body before freezing to death. I feel like if you die you should have the option of either respawning at your designated bed or the ritual stones.

You do. You can /resetspawn or some such. Unless that's what you meant by using the console.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Drunk in Space posted:

I meant it should be a feature in the base game, not a console cheat. It's been a while since I played it, but I think Ark did something similar where you could either respawn at a bed or at a set point on the map, so you don't get stuck in a situation you can't recover from like I did. In my case, when I used the console I just god-moded it, since my body wasn't that far from my bed (just too far to not freeze to death sadly).

Yeah /resetspawn isn't so much a console cheat as a slash command. Same as the emotes and stuff. It doesn't require admin access or 'imacheater' and is just typed into the chat window rather than the console. I do agree that making it a button would be a good idea, or even just letting you choose between owned beds instead of setting a specific spawn bed.

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Our first attempt failed because, among other things, a 2 star draugr archer started pot shotting people to death.

The second attempt we built the tree platform and shot him with like 300 frost arrows because gently caress that guy and the place he rode in on.

Yeah that's why the spike walls are important. You can just run them between trees to give yourself a solid wall to put your back against. In general I think the bonemass is the first real challenging boss and requires/rewards some preparation and forethought.

We kind of lucked out because we built a fire to cook up some meat for the first boss and he spawned on top of it and was set on fire which clued us in from the get go to 'oh hey we could totally prepare boss arenas.'

Let me tell you the Elder was a lot easier when he was stuck in a max depth trench.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Quill posted:

To protect any kind of fire from sputtering out due to weather, put a roof over it. Just make sure to place it high enough so the smoke doesn't gather start choking you to death. You can make simple chimneys out of wooden walls and they work perfectly.

You also have to worry about the smoke choking the fire to death. I find that two or three walls high works best.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Ok so here's a big exploit for server admins. Don't look at this if you don't want to be tempted to do some cheaty fuckery as a server admin.

So you can't use the player cheats to move around on your server, even if you have admin access. What you can do is this:

1) Download your server world through FTP
2) log on to that map in single player.
3) use player cheats to move to your desired location
4) log off and then long on to your online server.

Your position on the map is apparently saved to your character for each map id so your position on the offline version will equal your position on the online version.

I used this to fill one of my players death bags with the contents of a death bag that had gotten eaten by a glitch so he didn't have to start over from flint. I could have just given him the stuff but that seemed more cheaty so now he can go get it.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

BrianRx posted:

I've been playing mostly solo for an embarrassing number of hours (I'm pushing day 100) and I just smelted my first bar of iron. Was bummed that it didn't unlock the next tier of ship because my Karve doesn't really have enough space to justify hauling the immense amounts of iron you seem to need the distances required on my map. I think I'm going to put the game down for a few months until more content is added (not like I need it at this point, though) and some QoL issues are worked out. I just found mods and really wish I had done so earlier. Pulling items from nearby chests automatically when crafting is a huge improvement as is bumping the amount of bronze gained from smelting slightly. I also like removing the requirement of feeding resin to torches constantly to keep them burning. There are some building improvements, but I'm going to wait to see what the devs do with the system before messing with it. I already like it a lot, just want more pieces and the ability to pitch them to create nonstandard angles.

Before I shelve it though, I'd like to see the longboat. Am I close if I'm (reasonably) comfortable in the swamp biome?

Boats are made with nails.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

causticBeet posted:

Any small hints at when you unlock more of the stone based building materials? My group just killed the second boss, but have not progressed to what seems to be the next logical biome yet. Having tons of fun building, but if stone buildings are coming soon I’ll chill for a bit so I can do that.

Biome 3. Iron-tier.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

My only issue is plains. If I hadn't read this thread I would have gone there before swamp. I tried mountain first but it was mechanically obvious I couldn't. Plains needs a better way to signify Do Not Go Here

The first ship I lost wasn't from landing and wandering around, just getting arrowed by draugr and not being able to get away. I'm paranoid the same will happen if I get near plains

The game basically tells you where to go next.

Boss 1 gives you a pickaxe which lets you mine the metal you've likely already seen in the black forest.
Boss 2 gives you the swamp key which... duh.
Boss 3 gives you the wishbone which lets you find silver in the mountains, while leeches give you the materials to make cold-resistance potions.
Boss 4 doesn't really direct you toward the plains but there's like one thing left to do at that point.

It doesn't really tell you where NOT to go, just where TO go. I'll be interested to see how and what order the Mistlands, Ashlands, and Deep North get added in.

OwlFancier posted:

I have only had it happen twice thus far, both when exploring new islands, once because a troll spawned on the peninsula I had built a house on, which was absurd, and the second because I landed on a plains biome and something destroyed my boat before I could leave.

But the process of recovering from that is so tedious that it is still a major turnoff for the game.

E: now three times, because the game spawned a giant attack the minute I landed at my base and I died before i could move my spawn point.

The game does not have the capacity to not make itself annoying to play.

Honestly it sounds like you're still pre-portals, which is way early for the Plains or just not making enough portals. Portal should be the first thing you build on landfall. You can always move it later, for free.

Spanish Matlock fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 1, 2021

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Otacon posted:

I hoard everything in these games, and I had a full chest of Resin and was wondering when it would pay off

Friend, let me introduce you to your new best friend: https://valheim.fandom.com/wiki/Sconce

We keep our bases pretty well lit so resin goes at a fair pace. I'd love something to do with bone fragments. Post Boss 4 I think that's really the only thing that is totally useless for us.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Are you tired of the swamp being a thing? Craft a Frostner and then you're one step closer to making all of the swamp things never be things again.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Martin posted:

Yes, please! I love you Mr Raindeer but you do talk an awful lot about how small I am.

I wish they'd raise the chance of the other ones talking

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

We have boss 3 living above our brewery and he never says poo poo.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Valtonen posted:

If you dont have a round stone tower with portal on each wall by end of iron tier, I dont know What you are doing with your base. Not that mine is ready, But at least my portal room has them in a semicircle.

Eh I kind of went a different way with it.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Honestly I wouldn't mind if more stuff was farmable. I guess it's meant to keep you exploring for more thistle and berries, but there's even berry fields in abandoned towns. Just let me build my own berry fields. Especially if it's going to be required for like every single mead.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

It is completely alien to me to hear anyone saying "I saw a new enemy and just avoided it instead of cracking open its fetid hide to see what sweet sweet loot I could make from its bones"

It's like hearing someone say they've always just eaten cereal with a fork.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

It would be neat, I think, if the game let you set up little dudes with bows to defend your poo poo. Like the game can simulate combat over quite a wide range and already does infighting so it'd be neat to let you watch that more often.

Or perhaps even just little QOL stuff like a placeable barrel of wood arrows that gives you infinite wood arrows when you're near it. It's nice to take potshots at things.

Conan Exiles does this thing. It's one of the primary things that it does. I agree that thralls would be neat in Valheim. Maybe if they do a taming system pass we'll get skeleton archers or something.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Conan is a really well developed game at this point. Fun with a small group of friends too. There are dungeons and bosses and the building system is also really good. Being able to populate your bases with thralls makes them feel more alive than most survival games.

Good news is that you can also use server settings to keep your stuff on death. The same company supposedly has a Dune survival game in the works and I really hope they have an eye on Valheim with regard to innovations in the space.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Ravenfood posted:

Is there an easy way to get mushrooms? I tamed some boars but now they're hungry and I don't have more to feed them. Also, I think I went overboard on making a house and its two stories, got a nice roof, and way too much time spent on making it look decent when I should probably just go kill the first boss.

Feed boars with carrots. We have a dedicated carrot field to slop the pigs with.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

it's easiest to just park them a little furthe from shore, stuff won't swim out to attack them and they don't get moved or damaged by storms anyway. As long as you can swim to it you're sweet.

Its all fun and games until they capsize and explode and all your poo poo's too deep to swim for

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Jackard posted:

Well I definitely wouldn't want to see that on a public server.

What is the public server life like for Valhalla? It seems like it would be a nightmare with everything you own being immediately usable, destructible, or stealable by literally anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Otacon posted:

Yep! Hopefully nobody wants to steal your wooden arrows and resin and boar meat.

I literally forgot those exist. Do they cover a large area? Is it like the thing around the merchant?