Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Picked this up with a group that does a weekly gamenight and it quickly turned into nightly gamenight as we dove headfirst into the game.

We just finished the core gameplay line killed Yagluth so we might have to shelve it until a few of the big updates come through.

Had the best time in years with a multiplayer game and I hope they keep up the solid content with updates.

Wellllllll maybe I'll log in for some base building now and again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
All this building chat reminds me I've been meaning to show y'all my projects.

Screenshots do a terrible job showing things well so I want to take some short videos. What's the go-to video capture tool these days?

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

PittTheElder posted:

You can indeed. This is right up there with "hit ground with hammer to find Silver"

Is this another exploit? I can't find any info on it but I'm intrigued.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Considering how much of a pain in the rear end the mountains are when you're under geared I'd rather deal with Bonemass.

I appreciate the exploit though. Half the fun of games like this is to see how far you can push the mechanics.

My favorite one so far is realizing that landing in water will negate all fall damage. It has to be deep enough to swim in at least. Another guy on my server had the idea to create a one-way "elevator" this way, so I built a ~10 story castle with a shaft in the center that runs the height of the building. Its right up against a coastline so I had to do a little pickaxing to get the water deep enough in the right spot. The elevator system works way better than I expected. I find myself using it regularly to get to the dock boat, or just ground level.

Elevator shaft looking down

Landing pool (shaft opening visible top centerish)

Castle outside shot

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, just kill it if its being a problem.

If the loot doesn't sink too deep you might be able to still get at it. Build a tower you can climb directly over it and jump into the water from height. You can get a good 3-4m deep this way. Make sure there's room in your inventory and carry weight so you auto pickup the loot.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Is there any particular style or look that you're after? Are you looking for functional layout advice?

It's possible to build some pretty good structures with the tools you currently have.

In my latest playthrough I blazed past that phase since I'd done it already so my bronze base is just one of the skeleton towers with a roof slapped over top. I'd take a picture but it's shameful.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Post some pics!

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

It is a really good game I just wish they’d put a bit more time into controller support.

Like it works… just not very well at all.

What issues do you have with it? I play exclusively with controller and the only real pain point I've found is with the inventory and creating menus. I just switch to the mouse whenever I need to use that.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Oh in that case I'd hate it too.

I'm not sure there's a whole lot they can do to address that particular issue. Survival craft games involve so much inventory management it would be awful to use controller only in any case.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Knot My President! posted:

I haven't played since... launch I think and I had a blast. I'm thinking about getting back into it and was wondering what has changed since I last played?

Fundamentally not alot. Most small updates are bug fixes and quality of life improvements with the occasional small added content.

The biggest change was with Hearth and Home which reworked the food system somewhat and added a bunch of new structure pieces along with new content sprinkled in here and there.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

BrianRx posted:

Is there a point at which that armor is useful? You should be wearing bronze and working on iron gear at that point. It seems like you're way past the protection it offers and even needing the passive skill boost.

A couple of the pieces have useful resistances on top of the flat armor so they're better than they look at a glance.

edit: And lower movement speed hit than other armors at roughly the same tier

oXDemosthenesXo fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jan 1, 2022

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
The ore system works really well for me and my play group. We're on our second playthrough (restarted with H&H) but I'm the only one who plays more than once a week. During the week I pretty much only build bases, then during our weekly group session I've always got some needed resource lined up for the group to go on an expedition to acquire.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Eric the Mauve posted:

Or you can just throw together a simple shack with the requisite crafting stations at the nearest safe-ish spot to where you're mining and craft whatever you need the metal for, since you can bring objects made of metal through portals just fine.

The problem with that is that the upper tier crafting stations themselves require metal to build and upgrade. If you plan really carefully you can avoid multiple trips but usually its faster to just sail most of it home.

Or do what I do and use it as an excuse to build a new base in each biome.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I want to get some aerial shots of my base but I'm not sure how it works.

Apparently I use a couple console commands to get into creative mode then to fly.

If I'm playing on a friend's server will that mess anything up?
Is it a one way thing and I can't reset it to survival mode? We play vanilla survival mode and I'd rather not break it.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Hakarne posted:

There's a server I'm on where everyone went nuts building and playing when this first came out and now I'm the only one who really logs on anymore occasionally. It's actually pretty awesome because there are abandoned towns/forts/structures scattered about (including an abandoned starter fort for newbies) but they're all essentially ghost towns. It really adds to the ambiance and I never know when I might stumble on another player's town or fort. It makes the world feel more filled out since it's not all RNG but you still get a haunting, empty vibe.

So playing solo on a abandoned server is something I'd recommend if you like to go it alone.

I'm in a similar situation, except I'm by far the most interested in the building side of the game. We ended up building bases in most biomes with a nice safe meadows home base. Its a shame the group's interest tapered off because I got a little carried away with the second big base and it wasn't ready before everyone else stopped playing.

bgreman posted:

They should create a system where you can upload your world file for other people to play like this.

The guy that runs the server for our group saved and transferred me our old world when we started a new H&H world so I could keep all the stuff I built in the old one. The file was several gigs though so that might be prohibitive for general use. That said if someone had a really awesome setup I'd be tempted to download it.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Sixto Lezcano posted:

If y’all just want a server to play on I have one up - details are posted in the Valheim thread in Private Game Servers. It reset itself when we left it alone for a few months so it’s totally fresh.

I threw you some questions over in PGS in case you don't check there regularly. Thanks for the offer!

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I prefer to just knife those fuckers. You have to see them coming but it's pretty easy.

I also don't think they're bad game design. They make the plains inaccessible if you're underleveled and not super careful, and are still dangerous when you're at end game gear. If the plains were completely safe it wouldn't be much fun.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
You just have to get within a certain distance to get the symbol to appear on the map. I think the distance is about 2 default mini mall widths.

He can spawn in any black forest. This can sometimes make him very hard to find.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

Some friend you are

The classic way is just a portal moved to off the edge of a plains pillar or off a deep drop over water if you don't want them to die

Yeah this is what I do.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Use workbenches to establish good spacing for spawn suppression, then replace them with torches that are part way up a tree or on a stone column. They count as 'player base structures' even when unlit.

Set up like this they're very robust and can create a huge pocket of no enemy spawns in most biomes.

It's easier if you're on a peninsula or otherwise surrounded by water.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Sixto Lezcano posted:

Pits or dirt walls are my go-to for taming, bc the animals won't attack them and often can't see over them. Lure the wolves in, jump out, then just throw meat in occasionally til they're tamed.

In one of my servers we did this and somehow the wolves glitched through the world floor but didn't fall away. They were also untamed still.

This led to a whole area of our base turning into a scene from Tremors where invisible wolves were rampaging around killing everyone.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Synastren posted:

Did things get changed so generic player base structures suppress spawns? Last I really dug into Valheim, it was workbenches that were used almost exclusively to suppress spawns.

The wiki says they all do and in my experience it works. I've had a couple massive bases chock full of torches and get zero spawns in the protected zone.

https://valheim.fandom.com/wiki/Player_base

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

tildes posted:

This sounds amazing tbh

It was a pretty hilarious night and I was disappointed when it resolved itself when we rebooted the server.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

Found my first cave. Beats are real frustrating to fight. You can attack everything that's built in the cultists area and get bronze from braziers and iron from doors. Make sure to shoot the fenrir hair after grabbing the lower pieces.

I smashed a bunch of braziers but didn't get anything besides coal. Is it just in the cultist area? Maybe a random drop?

Also some of the hanging curtains give red jute if you break them.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I was absolutely awful at melee combat in this game until I went fully into knifes.

The attack speed is so high it stuns many enemies on the second or third swing, generally before the enemy's second swing. Killing wolves became pretty easy once I switched.

This does require you to tank at least one hit, so it's less effective if your armor isn't pretty high.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Ravenfood posted:

Try spears. Really. They attack almost as fast and you can use the "throw" attack as a power attack too, which is a ton faster than the knife leap. If you're in range of the standard attack when you throw you'll immediately re-equip it.

I tried them for awhile but had trouble with the tiny hit box. This was pre H&H so they might have fixed it by now.

I might still give them another try for some variety. I'll keep my trusty knife for smashing little stuff like Eric said.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

thespaceinvader posted:

Same, they're super fun but rather confusing.

Just hugging one wall gets most of it but these do have isolated islands, which makes it go a little wonky.

The first rule of all the caves is Always Left.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

I just wish they'd only spawn with melee weapons, those bows hit hard. A two star with a bow showed up and that was a hell of a fight, I never want to have to do that in the open.

It's pretty easy in the open, you just never stop side strafing and they can't hit you. Takes forever but works fine as long as nothing else is chasing you.

Glad to see the Lefts outvote the Rights. I think I'd actually get confused if I tried to follow the right hand wall.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

punishedkissinger posted:

I guess thats one way. The whole draw for me with this game is like, industrializing away the inconveniences, eg. creating a terraced tree farm that can produce hundreds of wood from a cascade cause by one tree falling. There's a pretty hard cap on resin production that isnt there for most other stuff imo.

Do you have any pictures of your tree farm? Mine works well enough but I'd like to improve it.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

punishedkissinger posted:

Im on vacation for the weekend, but I'll grab some when I get back. you want to build terraces along a steep hill so they slam into each other real good.

I'll give that a try. I've been using a long narrow trench so the logs get forced into each other. I wonder if combining terraces and a trench would work.

mastershakeman posted:

Also for the newbie come join the goon server that's listed in the private game servers, it's more fun to play with others

Join us! There aren't as many people on as a few weeks ago but its still better than playing alone. There's quite a bit of built up area but we can point you to areas that are pristine if you're looking to avoid too many spoilers.

edit: I'm on Sixto Lezcano's Clentheim server. Haven't tried the others but I'm sure they're good too.

oXDemosthenesXo fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Mar 12, 2022

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Eifert Posting posted:

Is it just me or is lox riding completely worthless?

Its drat fun for the first 5 minutes. Then you try to pull out your bow and instead stand up. Or try to run down a fuling and nothing happens.

They're worth taming just for base security but yeah sadly the riding is mostly a novelty.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Nice. Thanks for the followup. That setup is about what I was expecting but it's good to see it.

I was thinking about it more and I'm going to try that terraced system but built in a ravine. That way the logs hopefully get funneled into each other even more. Just gotta find the right terrain for it.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
There's a minimum distance you need to keep between them. I think it's about 3 meters but I haven't checked super closely.

There could also be small rocks or stumps nearby. Basically anything on the ground will keep them from growing.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I thought only terrain modification made a significant difference to performance. Do elaborate buildings do the same thing? I haven't seen any hit even when I've gone hog wild with base construction.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
If no lox or fuling camps are nearby then the only safe way to take them down is shoot and scoot. It always feels lame but corpse runs are even less fun.

Deathsquitos are worse overall I'd say. Growths have never spawned behind me and killed me while I was checking inventory.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Feather fall and wings. Don't forget the wings!

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
The second best part of Epic Loot is the thorns effect. With good enough armor the squitos don't do much to you and they die when they hit you.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Any 'player base' structure will suppress spawns in a set radius, so if you're patient enough you can create fairly large clear zones. The radius is equal to the build radius of a workbench which is a convenient way to measure where to put the structures. I usually use torches either in trees or on stone pedastals.

The downside is that the structures are still destructable by mobs wandering in so you have to protect them somehow or just build the suppression so far out that nothing spawns.

This is easiest on islands and peninsulas.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Yeah you can do that. Doesn't have to be WBs either, can be things like fire pits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Eric the Mauve posted:

All I know is I messed with the wind on the console and got capsized by it pretty much immediately

Well I know what I'm doing next time I log in