Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hbag

my brain runs at about 2Hz so i havent been able to figure out if i get a notification when someone quotes my posts or if i gotta scroll through every thread i post in like a schizo every 2 minutes
also, hi

please be gentle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

your friend sk

(ヤイケス!)

hello and welcome to byob! i recommend hanging out, chilling, and being cool

Join the BYOB Army

thank you again Saoshyant!!

hbag

oh loving christ it doesnt notify me when someone quotes my posts this is going to be agony
maybe i can spend far too much time writing a web scraper to do it for me

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Sally

Don't post Small Dash!

hbag posted:

my brain runs at about 2Hz so i havent been able to figure out if i get a notification when someone quotes my posts or if i gotta scroll through every thread i post in like a schizo every 2 minutes
also, hi

please be gentle

test

Sally

Don't post Small Dash!

hbag posted:

also, hi

please be gentle

hey new guy did you get notified?

hbag

Sally posted:

hey new guy did you get notified?

i did not
i must now find a way to get notified when im quoted, or spend the rest of my life checking every thread ive ever posted in to see if someone quoted me because i'm that kind of autistic

----------------

nut

beep beep you have a new message op

hbag

alright man
either im missing something or i DO actually have to check every single thread ive posted in to see if ive been quoted
which is it fellas

----------------

Macnult

hbag posted:

oh loving christ it doesnt notify me when someone quotes my posts this is going to be agony
maybe i can spend far too much time writing a web scraper to do it for me

that would be impressive

hbag

Macnult posted:

that would be impressive

yeah itd also eat my internet since itd have to check EVERY thread ive posted in every n minutes so id rather not have to resort to that

----------------

alexandriao

sk posted:

hello and welcome to byob! i recommend hanging out, chilling, and being cool

pfft you recommend that to everyone

alexandriao

OP you can use

quoting:"username"

in search to see.

I wrote a thread parser a while back to get notifications about when i should post to get a page snype a while back, it wasn't that difficult. Search is limited to every ten ish seconds mind you, and there's probably further limiting when you poll more often. I'd recommend something set to 15m

edit: automated page snype notifications script here: https://tpaste.us/X1Be

Yours will have to be more complex because you want to check the content of the search results and parse those out. Wouldn't be that difficult to use an xml parser to extract the content, or just find the exact tag and grab everything between it I guess.

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Feb 13, 2021

hbag

alexandriao posted:

OP you can use

quoting:"username"

in search to see.

I wrote a thread parser a while back to get notifications about when i should post to get a page snype a while back, it wasn't that difficult.

Search is limited to every ten ish seconds mind you, and there's probably further limiting

invaluable advice, thank you
i could probably write a basic scraper to check every few minutes, note down any quotes it sees, and ping me if it finds any that it didnt see the last time
this might actually be simpler than i thought

----------------

hbag

...or, y'know, i could just have it scan whenever i ask it to, because im not THAT anal about replying at lightning speed

----------------

alexandriao

hbag posted:

...or, y'know, i could just have it scan whenever i ask it to, because im not THAT anal about replying at lightning speed

I actually kind of like hate the fact i can never see when the fcuk anyone has responded to my AWESOME rear end posts. It's really annoying but ive learned to ignore it calming and soothing on the soul :kimchi:

Macnult

a script that notifies you for every new post in byob

hbag

Macnult posted:

a script that notifies you for every new post in byob

don't tempt me

----------------

nut

I just assume everyone quoted with me and don’t read posts

Macnult

nut posted:

I just assume everyone quoted with me and don’t read posts

hbag

god loving damnit you tempted me
im making it after i make my quote notification script

----------------

Macnult

the script is gonna be great

Heather Papps

hello friend

if you want i can read your threads and notify you when someone quotes but there's gonna be a day or two latency period as i make my way through daily life

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Goons Are Gifts

Checking for posts is what we call lurking, then you're reading posts rather than making posts and therefore you're a lurker, who, by law, must post

I recommend not lurking and always posting, it saves a lot of effort

Heather Papps

hello friend

Glutes Are Great posted:

Checking for posts is what we call lurking, then you're reading posts rather than making posts and therefore you're a lurker, who, by law, must post

i close my eyes, and get up from bed, cross my apartment and with one hand steadily outstreached i turn my chair to face me, take a seat, eyes still closed. the familiar sounds of my desktop booting up lead to the clacks of keys being depressed as my password is entered. a few more keystrokes, a few clicks, and a smile spreads across my face, extended even to my closed eyes. smile and laugh lines well worn.
i click, click again, and begin to type. soon, i can open my eyes, solid in the knowledge that i did not, will not, lurk today.
tap tap tap tap click.
"bump"

alexandriao

Glutes Are Great posted:

but with machines we can now automate the lurkers..... what hath technology wrought

biosterous

Heather Papps posted:

i close my eyes, and get up from bed, cross my apartment and with one hand steadily outstreached i turn my chair to face me, take a seat, eyes still closed. the familiar sounds of my desktop booting up lead to the clacks of keys being depressed as my password is entered. a few more keystrokes, a few clicks, and a smile spreads across my face, extended even to my closed eyes. smile and laugh lines well worn.
i click, click again, and begin to type. soon, i can open my eyes, solid in the knowledge that i did not, will not, lurk today.
tap tap tap tap click.
"bump"

:haibrower:

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Barking Gecko

Mahoro says, "Naughty things are bad."

Heather Papps posted:

tap tap tap tap click.
"bump"

Bump

Prof. Crocodile

Hallo new guy. If you think posting ITT will get you out of sharing pics of pets or discussing your favorite crimes, you are sadly mistaken. :radcat:

hbag

Prof. Crocodile posted:

Hallo new guy. If you think posting ITT will get you out of sharing pics of pets or discussing your favorite crimes, you are sadly mistaken. :radcat:

my pets are all dead and my favourite crime is
uhhhh

that's actually a tough one

----------------

hbag

oh, and obviously, when the scripts are done i'll post links to them
make sure you read through them first to make sure i havent put anything weird in them - i'm not going to, obviously, but it's good practice

----------------

Vei
i dont suppose ur an expert at javascript promises and love solving other ppls problems

hbag

Vei posted:

i dont suppose ur an expert at javascript promises and love solving other ppls problems

my poo poo's more python, lua, and a tiny amount of bash tbh
could probably give it a shot though

----------------

Vei

hbag posted:

my poo poo's more python, lua, and a tiny amount of bash tbh
could probably give it a shot though
alright, newbie, *tucks icon away*, in order to truly be welcomed to this forum in which i am definitely an OG in, you must do my work for me

https://pastebin.com/JGs4kz4z

here is my code

im trying to call the 2 functions at the same time (so http requests go out at the same time), but function 2 shouldnt output its response unless function 1 is already finished running...

the problem is, i have no idea how Promises work, and apparently i've just made it so function 2 doesnt get called at all until function 1 is done*

*i feel bad already pls dont worry about my bugs**

**unless... haha....

hbag

Vei posted:

alright, newbie, *tucks icon away*, in order to truly be welcomed to this forum in which i am definitely an OG in, you must do my work for me

here is my code

im trying to call the 2 functions at the same time (so http requests go out at the same time), but function 2 shouldnt output its response unless function 1 is already finished running...

the problem is, i have no idea how Promises work, and apparently i've just made it so function 2 doesnt get called at all until function 1 is done*

**unless... haha....

i'll give this a look when i can get around to remembering poo poo about js, no promises though

----------------

Vei

hbag posted:

i'll give this a look when i can get around to remembering poo poo about js, no promises though
: ...................... )

cruft

Vei posted:

here is my code

**unless... haha....

Would it be okay if I showed you how to do this without jQuery?

It's very simple.

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

Hey nerds

Vei

cruft posted:

Would it be okay if I showed you how to do this without jQuery?

It's very simple.

! most definitely would be appreciated

Vei
now wait just a seco

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heather Papps

hello friend

nerds is cool now