Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hbag

my brain runs at about 2Hz so i havent been able to figure out if i get a notification when someone quotes my posts or if i gotta scroll through every thread i post in like a schizo every 2 minutes
also, hi

please be gentle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hbag

oh loving christ it doesnt notify me when someone quotes my posts this is going to be agony
maybe i can spend far too much time writing a web scraper to do it for me

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

hbag

Sally posted:

hey new guy did you get notified?

i did not
i must now find a way to get notified when im quoted, or spend the rest of my life checking every thread ive ever posted in to see if someone quoted me because i'm that kind of autistic

----------------

hbag

alright man
either im missing something or i DO actually have to check every single thread ive posted in to see if ive been quoted
which is it fellas

----------------

hbag

Macnult posted:

that would be impressive

yeah itd also eat my internet since itd have to check EVERY thread ive posted in every n minutes so id rather not have to resort to that

----------------

hbag

alexandriao posted:

OP you can use

quoting:"username"

in search to see.

I wrote a thread parser a while back to get notifications about when i should post to get a page snype a while back, it wasn't that difficult.

Search is limited to every ten ish seconds mind you, and there's probably further limiting

invaluable advice, thank you
i could probably write a basic scraper to check every few minutes, note down any quotes it sees, and ping me if it finds any that it didnt see the last time
this might actually be simpler than i thought

----------------

hbag

...or, y'know, i could just have it scan whenever i ask it to, because im not THAT anal about replying at lightning speed

----------------

hbag

Macnult posted:

a script that notifies you for every new post in byob

don't tempt me

----------------

hbag

god loving damnit you tempted me
im making it after i make my quote notification script

----------------

hbag

Prof. Crocodile posted:

Hallo new guy. If you think posting ITT will get you out of sharing pics of pets or discussing your favorite crimes, you are sadly mistaken. :radcat:

my pets are all dead and my favourite crime is
uhhhh

that's actually a tough one

----------------

hbag

oh, and obviously, when the scripts are done i'll post links to them
make sure you read through them first to make sure i havent put anything weird in them - i'm not going to, obviously, but it's good practice

----------------

hbag

Vei posted:

i dont suppose ur an expert at javascript promises and love solving other ppls problems

my poo poo's more python, lua, and a tiny amount of bash tbh
could probably give it a shot though

----------------

hbag

Vei posted:

alright, newbie, *tucks icon away*, in order to truly be welcomed to this forum in which i am definitely an OG in, you must do my work for me

https://pastebin.com/JGs4kz4z

here is my code

im trying to call the 2 functions at the same time (so http requests go out at the same time), but function 2 shouldnt output its response unless function 1 is already finished running...

the problem is, i have no idea how Promises work, and apparently i've just made it so function 2 doesnt get called at all until function 1 is done*

*i feel bad already pls dont worry about my bugs**

**unless... haha....

i'll give this a look when i can get around to remembering poo poo about js, no promises though

----------------

hbag

man i shouldve lurked more i got no loving idea whats going on
i love it

----------------

hbag

right now the development of those lovely scripts depends entirely upon the sysop of the system im writing it on installing html2text on their loving cluster
hang tight fellas

----------------

hbag

Teddy Thunders posted:

Lmfao that's thoughtcrime my friend you must post it is in the rules

post THIS, nerd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

----------------

hbag

Teddy Thunders posted:

I JUST DID MOTHERH*CKER, GITGUD

AUUUUUUUUUUUUGH

----------------

hbag

rear end-penny posted:

Hello new and surprisingly young poster! How does a Young Person find out about this extremely old fashioned way to interact with the Internet?
In any case I must say I'm glad to have you here with us.

i've been on a few forums in the past, obviously heard about SA as it's pretty well-known, and i've been on the internet since i was... about 3 years old

----------------

hbag

the script goes well
far from done but at the moment all thats really left to do is cosmetic poo poo so it doesnt just vomit the raw quote list at you

gonna add some interactivity too so you can filter quotes (maybe even add a way for users to log in with their credentials instead of having to supply their cookies, idk, ill figure it out)

----------------

hbag

cruft posted:

Good lord, when you log in it just issues you a cookie with your username and password? I thought it was bad enough that we didn't have HTTPS until like 2 years ago.

Have you looked into using pandoc to convert from HTML into Markdown?

Looks like a fun project.

it stores a cookie with your hashed password, so it's not AS bad but... still.
and, yeah, that curl command pipes into html2text (cut off because emacs keeps single lines on one goddamn line like the omnissiah intended)

----------------

hbag

...actually wait a loving second i use a password manager it might not be a hash let me check something

----------------

hbag

oh thank christ it is a hash

----------------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hbag

will begin work on the fart button once the main script is complete
ill probably have to develop that on my local hardware though because im pretty sure SDF doesnt have audio capabilities

----------------