Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Oh I'm not removing the transmission, I'm removing the engine. I just know once the engine is pulled out I no longer have any engine braking from the transmission being in gear. I've got the parking brake on which hasn't ever failed to work but also needs replacing at some point. I've never pulled an engine before so I think some of the anxiety is first time jitters.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

It only seems to have one transmission mount, thanks for the heads-up on that. I don't have a transmission jack specifically, just normal floor jacks and jack stands. Fake edit: I just remembered a friend of mine is down on the Front Range, I'm going to ask him to pick up a HF transmission jack while he's down there and I'll pay him back.

How would dropping the transmission help with re-mounting the engine? Or is it a matter of it's easier to maneuver the transmission into mating with the engine than vice versa? I do have a new transmission mount either getting here today or Wednesday so I was planning on replacing it if feasible.

You're right, I should pop it in neutral and maybe even rock it a bit to make sure it doesn't go anywhere. I sometimes have irrational fears, it took me years to be comfortable with being under a car on jack stands. Then again I'm pretty sure those were Harbor Freight jack stands so maybe it wasn't so irrational.

Why aren't you using wheel chocks? This is a very bad idea. Do not kill yourself doing a bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Fair enough. In that case, carry on.