Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Item Getter posted:

Comedy option: In the interest of being a completely faithful remake of P3, they remove the ability to control your party members.
Closer examination of the trailer confirms that's not true of course.

they should have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

Off-hand, outside of the main P3 cast, I wonder if they'll be able to get back all of the old cast. Like, Takaya and so on. I think the dateable girls also get some lines, right? Chidori and Yuko.

Actually most importantly, will Theodore be in the remake, since his existence is kinda contingent on FeMC. He would already have a different VA from P3P since they replaced him from Persona Q onwards.

junpei's VA was vic mignogna I'm pretty sure and and I don't think he's getting hired much these days after all that stuff came out about him so he's probably out

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

She was extremely good as Nanako

that's like the only role i've ever heard her in where she isn't doing the one voice she normally does. all of her other characters are pretty much identical

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

(I have like zero faith they'll stick to their guns and not include a Happy True Ending this time.)

to be honest I have very little faith because in the 2 rereleases they allowed the player to prevent/undo two of the major character deaths in the game, which pretty substantially weakens the story I think

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I'm curious if Junpei's replacement will try to sound like Vic or go with a different vibe.

i don't know if "15 year old who has been smoking for 40 years" is something that they'll want to replicate

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Rinkles posted:

Hmm, when you scroll to the end of the characters list the color of the background changes from blue to pinkish and there’s a blank “coming soon” slot

the screen also turns pink if you focus on yukari so that's gonna be mitsuru, i assume

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

Wouldn't Mitsuru be more red? Or even blue because of her element and her Personas.

girl

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Endorph posted:

if its in join order wouldnt akihikio be before mitsuru

it's just going like boy, girl, boy, girl, that's why junpei and the protagonist are the same colour

edit: which would make sense if they're gonna do like a "also the female protagonist is in" at the end, I guess

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

man nurse posted:

Wait why are people mad that 3 is being remade, someone give me the cliff notes version

i've yet to see someone be mad about it, although there is a general sense of pessimism about the remake being bad

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

mycot posted:

I think it would be insane if they kept party member social links exactly the same, but who knows.

they should, party members in 4 and 5 seemed more like accessories to the player character a lot of the time. i appreciated that the party members in 3 were more like coworkers who barely tolerate you and don't want to hang out outside of work

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

bit sad that they're ditching the non-terrible actors too

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Arist posted:

Always love me some Aleks Le

his contribution is gonna be "persona" and like, several variations of "HA" and "OOF"

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

then no way to save Shinjiro or Chihiro, I guess.

good

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Booky posted:

they didn't do that in the 2 rereleases?? unless im getting mixed up but, p2s releases are faithful to the og games minus a few lil bells and whistles

by "2 rereleases" I meant "the 2 rereleases that Persona 3 has had so far(FES and P3P)", not "the rereleases of Persona 2"

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Jon Irenicus posted:

when people were (rightfully) critiquing the fraught sexual politics of P5 I was waiting for the gaze to turn toward Yosuke/Naoto/Kanji but it never happened.

I feel like that dead horse has been ground to a fine paste long ago. There's not much to say about it at this point, it was handled badly and everyone either acknowledges that or will always refuse to acknowledge it.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

there's a lot of VAs who have good range but also do the same voice for about 80% of their roles

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Alder posted:

Also, I forgot to save Chidori even though I read a guide on it because I was too focused to go on walks with Koromaru at night :gbsmith:

good

walking back multiple plot deaths was the dumbest part of the rereleases and i really hope the remake won't do it

hell i hope it kills more people

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Arist posted:

I don't actually care about the deaths getting walked back. Chidori's completely whatever to me and I'm totally fine saving Shinjiro, that one's fanfiction-y in a way I'm cool with.

e: like if you want to say that it weakens the thematic link between the characters of the death of another, that's fine... but Fuuka is already an exception to that so :shrug:

it does, as well as undermining the tone of the game

also, it's just kinda dumb. resurrection and death cop-outs are both nigh universally bad to include in plots.

anyway you're right, the remake should kill fuuka's mom or something

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Arist posted:

nah it's fine

e: "undermines the tone" lol we remember this game very differently

it's mostly just dumb to have a big dramatic death scene followed like a month later by "actually wait, she's alright". especially since she never does anything ever again.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

everyone except fuuka and junpei sound pretty much the same to me.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

Ann what happened to your spine

ann's spine was always made of rubber

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ajkalan posted:

A tiny thing I noticed in Royal: This Yusuke line was generated by an AI, right? It does not sound at all like a human spoke it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNlIEa_LrTg

or badly assembled from cuttings of different reads

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Not a fan of the new battle theme at all.

the video title says that that's the new battle theme but the article from someone who played a demo says that the battle theme is still mass destruction so it probably doesn't play most of the time

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It's mass destruction if you don't do an ambush, like how you still get last surprise in P5R etc. At least that's what I read. So functionally you'll never hear the old one.

i will only hear the old one, because i am bad

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

not having your party members be social links was better honestly

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Hellioning posted:

Party members being s. links is bad because it's difficult/impossible to fully equate main story characterization with all possible options for how far the player is on their s.link so they just seem incredibly disparate.

On the other hand, party members not being s. links is also bad because when the entire concept of your game is gaining power via friendship and other bonds you would think the people you fight alongside would be obvious choices.

Also as annoying as Junpei is he is not Kenji.

you can always just make them automatic story s links, which 3 sort of did already since there was a SEES link, although that does unfortunately make it so that the related arcana gets lovely bonuses for most of the game

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I don't think there's inherently any issue with having party members be social links. You just gotta write them to be stories that can advance on their own track regardless of the character's headspace in the main plot, which most of them do. Half the side stories are just also kind of boring and unimportant, but there's no reason they have to be.

if you make them s links then you either end up with a link story that is completely incongruous with their character in the main story, or you have to mandate that they receive no character development in either so that they match

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Arist posted:

The problem is if you need to get a Persona from the Velvet Room for a school Social Link you have to leave school, go to the mall, then run all the way back to school.

the thing where you get a bonus to ranking up links for having the right persona just shouldn't exist because it has no effect on the game beyond encouraging the busywork of going and fiddling with your personas before doing things. like "hey you wanna hang out?" "sure but give me like half an hour, i have to go put on a different personality"

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

like most of what i have seen from reload, it seems fine. i don't love or hate it, it's just okay.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

is it just me or does it feel like it sets up like it's gonna do a shot for every party member but then after mitsuru it just goes "eh, gently caress it, here's the rest in one shot" two separate times

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Junpei posted:

on the other hand, stuff like the Akihiko-Shinjiro-Ken shot on the train, or the moon turning into a closed eye that cries blood, rules

yeah i'm not able to declare that it's bad because there's enough in it where i'm like "that's cool, i like that" but as a whole it isn't amazing. it's not gonna stick with me the way some other ones have.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

It seems like the gameplay will be so radically different that most old things like that won't apply.

Looking forward to it. Might be the last mainline Persona game I ever play if they never release 6. Maybe the plan is to wait so long that 3, 4, and 5 can plausibly be remade again for the PS7 or whatever. Repeat for the PS10.

In 200 years we'll be playing full immersion VR Persona 5.

dev cycles are getting longer and given their model of milking the poo poo out of every one i don't think they can afford a mainline persona game actually flopping, so given that between 4 and 5 was 8 years and they're clearly treating reload like a big deal they'll probably be putting out 6 in like, 2028 or something

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

is that the deliberately poo poo meme flute playing in the background

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Meowywitch posted:

God the new music is soooo bad

most of it is a bit worse than the original in a way that i will probably get used to fairly quickly but iwatodai dorm is bad even in a vacuum

they also changed the lyrics for some reason. i don't know if this was a copyright issue and they've been forced to make Legally Distinct Iwatodai Dorm and that's why it actually legitimately sucks as opposed to just being not as good as the original

it's coming out on pc though so i guess this poo poo will be modded back to the originals within like 2 hours of release, a mod which i will actually get just for this one song

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Arist posted:

Using a party control patch for FES is cowardice.

while incredibly frustrating not being able to control your party members was funny to complain about and all that allowing you to control them does is make things less funny and less interesting

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

they should have made the AI improve with levels of the SEES s link

they clearly had this idea at some point because you actually unlock tactics at certain levels but only 2 and fairly early on, they should have had like 1 per level for increasingly fine grain control and then i dunno, maybe full control at 10(which breaks if the main character is disabled). that would have been cool.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Drakenel posted:

Its me. I've done p5 entirely on AI tactics, with like one exception during okamura.

Fear my power.

Honestly, why? Like I've been questioning why they bother including the AI options since persona 3 since I can't see a reason why someone would choose to use them.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Kale posted:

A real lowlight of older games getting remastered is finding out what Japanese Production Committee politics and copyright changes are going to gently caress over what iconic songs or not

the loving lyrics are the exact opposite now, it's literally "dance, if you wanna, go ahead, you're free to do whatever, i'm chilling on my bed"

no wonder the vocals sound so low energy in comparison, they've gone from commanding you to dance so hard that you might actually hurt someone to a guy going "yeah, you can dance i guess" and then taking a nap

cock hero flux fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 6, 2024

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Arist posted:

I mean, that relaxed energy honestly probably makes more sense for the dorm lyrics than what they had initially, imo

On the other hand though, the "Color Your Night" theme that we keep hearing snippets of is almost certainly the "night" theme instead of just more When the Moon's Reaching Out Stars, and it's a decent track but the vibe is kind of... off for P3, if you get me?

I get it, and I think part of it is just that Persona 3 didn't really have songs that had relaxed vocals. Like, even songs used in situations where you would expect relaxed vocals still didn't have them, every track with vocals had them be intense in some way. This is, theoretically, bad, in that you get ambient tracks like Iwatodai Dorm which only plays while you're hanging out in your dorm and nothing is going on but has vocals where the guy is practically shouting at you, or Moon Reaching Out Stars, which is waaay faster paced than an overworld theme logically should be. It completely worked, though, 100% and I think not really following that is what gives some of the new tracks that feeling of not fitting properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

bravesword posted:

Seriously

Not having direct control of party members was an interesting thematic idea, but it had the rather severe drawback of sucking totally and completely. It fights against any attempt to have tactics or meaningful decisions in combat. There’s no real reason to try and rehabilitate it. If you’re going to soften it or make it less stringent, you might as well just remove it (or at least make it optional), so it’s not surprising that Atlus did so.

they could have used the ff12 gambit system