Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Feels Villeneuve posted:

if you want gay games you should play ones which are actually gay rather than ones which hate gay people, IMO

list some gay jrpgs (i'm not doing this as a gatcha or any such bullshit, i really want to know)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Fire Emblem 3 Houses.

i definitely lapsed and forgot about Three Houses when writing that question

Oh, I'm trying to work through Innocent Sin PSP right now, this works out

Feels Villeneuve posted:

blue reflection 2

*adds to the wishlist*

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

STW T, another gay strategy jrpg.

I am maybe 2/3rds through T right now and I just have to know for sure; is this about Sagiri?

NikkolasKing posted:

Where are you in IS?

Personally I'm on Team Tatsuya/Lisa but it's all good.

I am still messing around in Sevens High breaking clocks with brooms

MechaX fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Oct 20, 2022

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Going through 4 Golden on the Switch and just made it past the Castle.

It's been a long, long time since I went through 4 (and I don't think I've ever played Golden), but man, Yosuke and Chie are kinda hard on Teddie for no reason sometimes early on

Edit: Random Teacher: "It's good Yukiko is back, she was the only cutie in the class" whoa

MechaX fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jan 30, 2023

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

The Yosuke talk definitely unlocked a late-game memory for me (giant endgame P4 spoilers): I wonder how his “let’s commit first degree murder because of stuff this guy’s shadow is telling us” angle aged at this point

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

He's being emotional and a bit crazy due to Nanako apparently dying (very understandable, IMO) but the important part is that it was Naoto who calmly suggests the actual murder method.

An important detail Yosuke haters tend to ignore.

That's... that's still murder 1st, but I'll revisit this issue when I get back to that part of the game

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

AnonymouseNo5 posted:

She doesn't leave Inaba, unless that's something I'm forgetting from PQ2.

Persona 5 Spoilers: I thought she for sure stayed with the Amagi Inn, one of the TV programs referenced her

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

Maybe it's because I've been playing a lot of Ace Attorney and watching a lot of Law & Order lately but wouldn't it be manslaughter instead of murder? They're responding to the apparent murder of a child they're all very close to, they are clearly very distraught and emotional, Yosuke most of all. and IIRC Dojima almost kills Namatame first but is stopped and that's how they get in to see him at all. If a middle-aged man is ready to commit the crime, what can we expect of devastated 16-year-olds?

I'm honestly not trying to be a pedantic rear end in a top hat, I'm genuinely curious which it would be.

If you genuinely want to know, at least in almost every court in the US, the answer is no, it would still be murder. A lot of killings are done when someone is distraught and emotional, but the key that separates first degree murder from lesser murders, or even voluntary manslaughter, is deliberation and premeditation. They reasoned out a whole rear end scheme on how to deal with Namatame and left him in there for a prolonged period of time despite knowing that only they could have actually entered the TV to attempt to rescue him, and that death was 100% assured if they didn't.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Sydin posted:

At least by US legal standards, killing Namatame would given the circumstances almost certainly be classified as voluntary manslaughter. Granted, I guess you could also argue that the group knowing Namatame won't die for some time and never going back to get him after they cooled off could up it to first degree murder.

So one of my law school professors always taught that premeditation is something that can happen a lot quicker than anyone realizes. Like there have been convictions that have held up because premeditation happened as short as 15-20 seconds (and the test is just to sit there and count to 15 or 20; depending on the circumstances that can be a long rear end time to just think on something). In this situation, not only did they never go back to get him for what could have been a week or two, but they very much made a scheme and even argued back and forth about it. That goes well, well beyond heat of the moment/passion-situations (and again, a lot of murder 1sts are done by very angry and emotional people). Nanako's situation is a defense sure, mitigating circumstance most definitely, but under the totality of the situation.. that's going to be a pretty hard case to make

Now on a random tangent when thinking of Persona 2 in this context: every person the IS/EP crew killed was in reasonable self-defense because corrupt cops/soldiers/literal Nazis shot first or attacked them with mech suits.

MechaX fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jan 31, 2023

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

I still remember that random interaction of Baofu getting a drink and Tatsuya essentially being like “you’re just the kind of adult who drinks his problems away lol” and Baofu immediately calls over Katsuya to check his lil bro’s smart rear end

The P2 games had a lot of humor nuggets hidden in some of the random dialogue that happens in each location, and they didn’t have to rely on hot springs or teacher dating hijinks or stuff like that

5 Strikers is a very funny game though in its own right, especially compared to 3, 4, and 5

MechaX fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jan 31, 2023

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Yosuke deserves to be dead last in every poll, gently caress him

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Ngl, I was kinda bummed about having to do an undubbed run but this is fantastic news

I’m sorry I have way too much nostalgia for the EP dub and wouldn’t replace it for anything

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

I hope Mitsuru’s way of building the gauge is Marin Karin and nothing else

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Eh, I like Junpei's new voice. Ken's new voice seems better from that short clip too

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

stev posted:

3 doesn't have a bear or a cat.

That cat was a little annoying sometimes but that bear was the absolute loving worst.

3 has the best dog and that’s all that matters

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Zokari posted:

persona 5 didn't end with the characters using their magic powers to overthrow the japanese government and a bunch of people are still feeling betrayed by that

There has to have been a middle ground between that, and what we got where they were like “welp, I guess we gotta let the cops handle the rest and hope for the best”

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Man I knew this 100% guide was going to be more trouble than it’s worth when it had me try to brute force the 2nd block and grind out 50,000 yen before even getting Akihiko later in the month

Eh, I been through this game like 4 times across versions/ports/etc and only did the max social link thing on a FES playthrough years back, I can afford to go without Orpheus Telos in this one

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Stux posted:

i did 2nd block before akihiko on merciless. just for fun. some sort of skill issue youre having or...?

K sure, cool cool

Anyway, yeah Aki shreds this part of the second block and it is hilarious. He also has a “you better loving not use that teleporter to leave” kind of line read, game’s awesome

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Paul Zuvella posted:

After years of people telling me that Persona 3 is the best Persona I can now say I have played it and it is, in fact, not the best persona. Its kind of wild how none of these games end particularly well, though. They should probably figure that out.

It does have a dog in it though and that is rad.

Eh, nah.

After Reload, it’s 3 > 5 > 4 for Nu Persona easily

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I mean, Yosuke is absolutely also a predator, if you think he's being left out.

I can give Teddie a pass for some things since he has a very tenuous grasp of what is and isn't socially acceptable and decent

Yosuke bought two swimsuits in secret for the explicit purpose of guilt tripping his two friends into wearing them, dude is a weirdo

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

I need to get back to IS at some point after I finish this 3R playthrough, but I feel like IS and EP would go a lot more smoothly these days with like, x3 Persona Rank up and Tarot Card accumulation. Doing either somehow feels as slow as molasses despite having an absolutely batshit encounter rate in some dungeons.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Took about 90 hours to finish, but P3R was pretty fun overall. Managed to max out all social links this time too.

A lot of 3’s S-Links kind of suck though. Plus, I was disappointed that it still has the “not nearly enough non-school S-Links or night activities to do in Dec/Jan” problem. Gameplay was pretty good, liked the QoL features and a lot of bosses like Strega and the final boss got some pretty neat glow-ups.

All of the new music tracks were bangers but the remixes of old songs were pretty hit or miss for me. I’m still not quite sure how I feel on the new Burn My Dread.

I do want to see how The Answer goes with this new voice cast; a lot of them really grew on me and some were way better than the OG cast. I actually really like New Yukari quite a bit

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

I never actually went through the FemMC route besides maybe the first month or so; how much better are the new social links in comparison to the old ones?

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Makoto: I'm going to become chief of police to fix the system!

Zenkichi: lol, lmao

Katsuya (probably): LMFAO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Dojima never says much about Yu’s parents but it also seems like he hasn’t seen Yu since he was a toddler, so he essentially hasn’t seen his big sister’s kid in like 10-12 years