Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I'd give her the cool design she had before Hashino weighed in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

RillAkBea posted:

I very much doubt Atlus is up for anything radical though. SMT V appears to be set in a ruined Tokyo again and chances are P6 is another high school teen romp.

Yeah, this is why I get kinda bummed about how much Atlus' output has whittled down since handhelds dying off and them making the HD jump proper. Persona might be able to pull me if it actually gets some new blood post-Studio Zero, but generally I find their spinoffs and other IPs a lot more interesting than modern Persona and mainline SMT since those two are largely really hewn to their formulas.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Harrow posted:

Should I take that to mean the writing in Caligula Effect is good? I've been somewhat curious about it ever since I heard about this game from the former Persona writer with a weird battle system.

caligula effect is the sort of game I've seen a number people quite like in spite of its jank, but also universally recommend playing on easy mode

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

People have repeatedly, including on the very last page, explained how P4 is not and never was remotely foward thinking.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I thiiiink there's a line or two where Joker or Ryuji's outfits get ribbed, or they rib reach other, so there might be an inkling of an idea about feeling embarrassed about literally wearing your raw personality on your sleeve or it not geling with other people, but having girls just be embarrassed in that way is the lamest direction to take.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

P5 is also there and perfectly fine with that sort of thing.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I really doubt they even imagine trying to "run steam out of business". They are trying to leverage their current glut of money into a creating another source of longterm profit similar to valve tho.

My beefs with steam concern their treatment of smaller devs and games which epic certainly wouldn't rectify, so when it comes to meaningfully escaping their sphere I care more about elevating platforms like itch than rooting for another giant corp to establish itself.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Granted I've bounced off FES myself, but it's a shame that the sim elements just got sanded down for the most part. By P5 it's basically make-work to inflate playtime.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

neonchameleon posted:

I think that this is an issue of Persona 5 having issues simply with translating the language, never mind any attempt to translate the culture (and the same failure to translate the culture completely messes up a chapter of Tokyo Mirage Sessions). If I've understood (and I've never been to Japan and don't speak Japanese) is that they were having their pre-teen daughter do gravure modelling, which is "art" modelling rather than clothing modelling and a significant number of gravure models are underage. There's no 'turn themselves in to the police' because it's entirely legal.

A "good" translation for the American market might have changed the exact nature of what the parents were doing in order to keep the social understanding the same; I think in an American equivalent would probably reference Toddlers and Tiaras somehow for the same level of legal, culturally understood as skeevy, but not actually illegal or directly involving sex feel.

I wouldn't really say there was any "failure" in TMS, they changed the context of the chapter completely and retained it in the rerelease across all versions. I think they just thought better of it considering how slipshod all the other edits were.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

Most of goldens additions are a flat downgrade. Marie is absolute irredeemable garbage as both a character and plot device. Her dungeon is dumb as all gently caress, the garden is tedious busywork, adachis link is a cool idea but it's executed poorly, and most the story additions like the bikes and the stupid concert feel more like a Disney channel original than a game about Jungian psychology.

so it all fits organically with the rest of the game

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Not sure how stating their job title and saying that they're basically a button prompt reviewer is doing that op

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The funny thing is that Atlus USA has shown that they're able to handle these things a lot better than they do in Persona, they just don't because of some combination of time and executive/audience wants.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

gigantic tweet threads are bad as usual but people blowing up over some streamer not liking P4 was ridiculous. their read on kanji was probably off but their sentiment was ultimately just that they weren't feeling the game and were prob gonna drop it

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

a lot of persona's "romance y/n" moments are really bad. people talk about not dating futaba bc family, but the game doesn't let you say that, you get to a point where she obviously has a crush on joker and you either accept it or go "well that's just how you feel about teammates :)" and she believes you

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

futaba's taller than her Japanese VA

e:
https://twitter.com/batsugeemu/status/853999830036873216

Motto fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Nov 16, 2022

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

mmkay posted:

I think the worst part of writing to me so far was (December-ish spoilers) Akechi and Shido explaining their whole history/relation/plot to each other for like 5 minutes straight, most of which was already revealed or could be inferred.

It's incredibly funny but also a big reason vanilla akechi was a pretty whatever character to me. Yeah it's really obvious he has something going on from the start, but he only reveals himself really late and after Palace 6 most of his screentime is that scene and then his boss fight.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, my main issue with that P5 FeMC is that she looks *way* took similar to the male MC (the head basically just looks like male MC with a wig). Part of why the P3 FeMC works is that she doesn't look like the male one.

I was gonna say that I thought it was taken from a crossdressing DLC, but the outfit I'm thinking of is from P5D. At any rate yeah, it does just look like Joker but with really minor changes to their outfits. Even in games where the male/female MCs are meant to share the same core design moreso than P3's, they're way more distinct than this.

Motto fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 5, 2023

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

smt is the one other series they keep making boilerplate entries for to the exclusion of anything else

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

As beloved as Atlus' PS2 days are, they were also pretty shaky. The DDS games didn't do well and even the original releases of SMT3 and P3 weren't immediate smash hits.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

for mass effect isn't it also the case that in ME1 and 2 the only way to play without dealing with the unavoidably crappy CaC tools was to play default maleshep, with femshep only getting a custom default in ME3 (and then the LEs of 1/2)?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Tired Moritz posted:

I actually don't know when tactica comes out so huh

Game had negative hype

Kinda odd how it feels like atlus hasn't done much to push the P5 spinoffs in general. Strikers took a whole year to get localized and for a while it felt like people didn't know that besides the genre shift it was basically a direct sequel.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Yeah even for a company that does a lot of revisions and enhanced versions like Atlus, a revision of a remake that's more of a remix than something you can sell as having "more content" is extremely unlikely.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The latter, just one with direct asset support with soejima designs and stuff so it looks presentable. It's still a random mobile game produced by licensing the IP out to an overseas studio where the direction is mining the vague idea of P5's aesthetic right as people are probably sick of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

miyazaki isn't "a piece of poo poo", but much like most creatives at atlus he's a kinda boring old guy. It was funny when anno and tomino razzed him over porco rosso