Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I started P5R a few months ago after getting it on Black Friday because my cousin recommended it to me, and got about 8 hours in (shortly before the first boss) and set it down for a little while for school and other games.

I picked it up again this and it totally got its hooks in me now, I’m just getting to Medved and I really never want to stop playing at the end of the night

Unconnected thoughts about the story so far
*I thought I would enjoy this because I liked the character dynamics in FE3H a whole bunch and this definitely feels like more of that. I wish we could do the non protag Social Links like in that game, I want to see more of my teammates interacting with each other, even when they get on my nerves
*all the party members I’ve met so far are great. After the first chapter I was worried about how new characters would slot into the team dynamic but as much fun as The Four Stooges were, Makoto and Yusuke both fit in flawlessly.
*the game is very good at making characters it’s fun to hate. Makoto was a total narc when she first appeared in the story but once you get to know her better she’s wonderful. Akechi is the one I’m currently enjoying trying to figure out, I’m not sure if he’s a friend or if he’s gonna gently caress me over
*I know Kasumi and Doctor Hunk are new to Royal and you can sort of tell where they’re stitched in a but but their scenes are all really good. If anything happens to Kasumi I might break my PlayStation.
*god drat it’s gonna be hard to top that first palace. Kaneshiro and Matarame are both great villains and I love the on-the-nose writing of all of their shadow selves but I don’t think any game has captured a loathsome slime like Kamoshida so well.
*I love how interconnected things feel. Having the through line mixed in with the episodes makes it feel so full. A lot of the confidant stories are fun too.
*the Kawakami stuff is insane and uncomfortable and I hated it so much. I get what it’s going for, the game has a lot to say about toxic relationships but I really do not think that solving her problems only to immediately try to pick her up as a 17 year old is absolutely nuts and kind of makes her a worse character because how do you talk about wanting to be a better teacher and then date a student! I made an alternate reality save just to watch the scene and get the mark for my award and I just sat there thinking “who thinks this is a good idea, who wants this”. I’m starting to get similar vibes from The Plague Doctor and I definitely don’t want to romance her either but at least she’s not Joker’s teacher.
*I like the “adults suck cops suck vigilante Justice rules” theme so far. Even the “adults” who are on your side tend to be on the younger end and also got hosed out by society and hierarchy at some point because of their youth; Kawakami, Takemi, No-Good Tora, I have to imagine the reporter and fortune teller will reveal that part of their backstory soon enough, they all fit the bill. The only really good older adult is Sojiro. He’s another one who starts out suspicious but he becomes caring pretty quick, he’s too good

Game mechanic stuff:
*this is easily the best turn based game I’ve ever played possibly barring Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door. There’s a lot that I’m still trying to wrap my head around with the persona fusing but I’m ending up fairly over leveled so I haven’t had too much trouble unless I get careless, and I imagine it’s only gonna get easier as I get more party members and totally don’t need healing items anymore.
*Im using a really strict guide to get everything and I’m really glad I did. The game is really overwhelming with regards to the social aspects and playing through the game first with a tight hand holding is making it feel reasonable. (It’s not perfect though, I hosed up one night by not saving enough and accidentally triggering the wrong event and having to figure out how to un-gently caress myself was a very fun little meta-game.)
*game is easier than I expected in the dungeons. I briefly sampled a translation of the very first SMT game last year and that game is unforgiving but there are so many options that I’ve never got the feeling that there’s no way to win and there’s still a lot of things to add.

Edit: oh yeah and as if the game needed to win me over any more, it has my favorite card game of all time in it. I may end up putting just as much into Tycoon as the regular game. It’s not quite as full featured as the versions in Nintendo’s Clubhouse Games but those games don’t let me play against my new anime friends so you win some and lose some

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Mar 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Harrow posted:

Yeah, this would be a big improvement, I think.

I'm kind of curious: did anyone actually have trouble with the alert levels in Persona 5, vanilla or Royal? I always found that the stealth was simple enough, and the default levels of alert reduction on ambushing an enemy were generous enough, that I never once had to actually think about the alert level while exploring Palaces. That alone makes whatever they tried to do with Ohya's abilities just kinda :shrug:. It's help managing a system that I never had to think about in the first place.

I forgot a will seed in the bank palace and had to go back and accidentally ran my alert ranking to 100% ignoring all the cameras, even then I got in a couple battles that were longer than usual and once I stopped being hounded by enemies I just used a calmer-thingie and knocked it back down

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Endorph posted:

and i like 'ren amamiya' just because the spelling of amamiya they use has the character for 'palace' in it, which is really cute

Also Amamiya sounds like Mamma Mia and you can sing his name to Bohemian Rhapsody

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Update: I just got back from Hawaii in the game and the hour straight without saving was the wrong move to start at 2am, especially on DST Eve

I definitely thought that this thread’s love for Makoto was dumb because she’s a cop/narc for the first two arcs of the game and thought it would be really easy to ignore romance to get that achievement but it’s going to be very hard to reject her after a long walk on a Hawaiian beach at sunset. Most of the other romance options range from “I think they work better as friends” (Ann) to “this seems inappropriate” (Ohya, Chihaya, Takumi) to “this is wildly inappropriate” (Kawakami, Futaba).

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

ApplesandOranges posted:

I noticed that you didn't mention best girl Hifumi.

It’s because both “-umi” girls are great. I think the game itself is partial to Makoto given that the entirety of her social link is basically “lol it would be funny if we got dated/got married/made out and solved crimes together, unless-“ but Hifumi is a very different type of absolute dork which is compelling

Kasumi suffers from not being able to engage with her much at first, but she’s almost heartbreakingly sincere and also age appropriate which puts her in the top half almost by itself

edit: it is hilarious to me that a game as skeptical of gay men as P5 is has absolutely no problem with relationships between 16 year olds and 30 year olds

“Hey me and this incredibly handsome young detective have a rivalry loaded with hidden double meanings and potentially-sexual tension, can we kiss?”

“For the last time, no! Now go flirt with your homeroom teacher who is dressed like a maid”

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Mar 14, 2021

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I love Ryuji but I would not say he does nothing wrong, he wants recognition for being a Phantom Thief too much. It’s very realistic for a 16 year old but it does continuously make it harder to keep a secret.

Morgana on the other hand I just feel bad for. He’s having an identity crisis and as more party members accrue, his place in the team naturally diminishes, and he’s not able to develop relationships with the others as much. He’s terrified that he’s gonna be left behind. It’s a really awful thing to feel even if you’re just a regular person and not a cat who might be human.

Both of them are way too horny also but honestly the game sort of takes their side on that, especially with Ann. Honestly despite not being as outwardly caddish as Morgana and Ryuji, I feel like Yusuke’s attitude towards women is way worse. There are a few moments where he says something wildly chauvinistic out of nowhere and I’m just like “Jesus Christ dude”

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I’m still making my way through the game, I’m almost exactly where Unlucky07 is: having just entered that palace to finally make my way towards the treasure. I’ve been thinking more about this game in comparison to FE3H because it’s incredibly obvious where FE3H got its inspiration from in the not-Fire Emblem parts of the game. I think P5’s biggest advantage over 3H is its plotting. P5 has some bits that feel overlong maybe but everything is pretty tightly woven for the most part and the plot moves at a good logical pace, where 3H swings for the fences attempting to make a game where the story can be vastly different. This is ambitious but ends up feeling like 4/3 of a game that you can’t get all at once (and making people go through the samey first half each time to get to the branches was a poor decision). Both games have very blank slate protagonists but P5 also does a much better job of making Joker feel like a character that develops rather than a cipher like Byleth.

I think as far as the cast of characters goes, FE3H takes a slight edge, and I think that the mid-game surprise has a lot to do with it. a 5 year age gap is dramatic and allows for much bigger swings and more noticeable growth.You don’t get quite as much time with each character, although that’s balanced by the non-MC support scenes, but I feel like the characters have more naturally developed layers. 3H does such a good job of undercutting your expectations by making everyone into a cliche and then fleshing them out so that even the worst and obnoxious characters feel real. P5 kind of does that but each social link feels more like a melodrama that gradually rolls out it’s component pieces and less like a glimpse into an actual social network.

I know this ultimately just boils down to me missing the inter-party communication that doesn’t involve the MC. Aside from Ryuji and Ann who develop enough of a rapport while Joker is around, I don’t get the feeling that the team is all that cohesive. There are little moments, like Ann and Makoto talking after the latter joins the team, the showtime creation scenes, or glimpses into Makoto’s home life but I want more.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I think the tone and themes of P5R makes the fact that there are basically no gay characters really conspicuous. You’re playing a game where you slowly gather a bunch of young people who feel outcast by society, who feel they have nowhere to fit in, who feel like they’ve been rejected by their peers and/or families, set in the modern day in one of the biggest cities in the world, and you are telling me that none of them are queer? That none of their classmates are queer? That none of the people who have fallen prey to the abusers and lovely adults in society who you take it upon yourself to save are queer? It’s insane to me. The MC not being able to date Akechi and Yusuke is dumb in a game where you can start affairs with 4 fully grown women as a 16 year old is dumb but honestly the fact that the game is set in a Tokyo where every single teenager is straight is way more concerning because it feels like erasure. It’s possible that there’s some incidental dialog that I’ve missed up to the point I’m at in the game but it just seems wild to me that a game with this setting, these themes, these characters, and fairly open admission that teenagers are lonely and horny and want to be in relationships, that every single person is straight. It’s not perfect by any means but FE3H is set in a medieval church school like 1000 years ago and my female MC was able to marry a lady at the end. I don’t think lesbians exist in P5 at all.

Even in P5R’s English translation, which I’ve gathered is the least blatantly offensive scenario, there are exactly 3 gay characters, all of who are fully grown adults and 2/3 of whom are still lovely and kidnap Ryuji multiple times to make him do drag even if they’re no longer rendered as full predators.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I wish there was more hugging in this game. I feel like there are 50 conversations that should end with a hug and it’s just “alright.” *nods, leaves*

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Harrow posted:

Let Joker give Futaba a hug, poor kid needs it :smith:

The scene I had just watched was Sojiro confronting Futaba and Joker about the calling card and learning the truth and everyone in that room clearly needed a hug after.

How can you have a found family without hugs of acceptance? It’s like curry without apples and honey.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Honestly if P4 is secretly progressive that makes the backside into “all gay men are predators enjoy drag, no other queer people exist” in P5(R) worse, right?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Harrow posted:

This is one of the ways you can do this, yes, and one of the ways that worked in vanilla P5.

Royal is going to make even this look small because of a combination of two features. First, Ryuji has a confidant ability that lets you instakill Shadows you sprint into in Mementos if you're stronger than they are, and the requirement there is not as high as you'd think.

The first time I actually used this skill I was really surprised that you get full money, EXP *and* automatically pick up a Persona if you have space. I was already having no trouble with the fighting in this game (aside from the palace boss you guys have been taking about, where it took a few tries to determine the ideal strategy) but it feels like you really have to just hammer through doing as little as possible to be under leveled. Which I honestly prefer to a JRPG with points where you just have to grind out levels,

Also about that particular palace boss: I made a huge mistake on my second try. I made it through all of the waves of smaller robots and got to the one giant one and proceeded to incorrectly assume I could probably tank one of its charged attacks without guarding since I was at full health and boy was I wrong. Took me 3-4 more tries to get back to that point and finish everything correctly.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Gen. Ripper posted:

Oh hey I totally forgot P5 had a scene where Haru blames herself for the Okumura disaster because she didn't want to marry a sexmonster :yikes:

Yeah the way they sat around the table discussing how they got tricked into going after Okumura and bemoaning that they were acting for the wrong reasons felt really mean to Haru, whose life would have been immeasurably worse had they not stopped him.

Also more generally it felt kinda funny to me that they were talking about how much Okumura Foods was abusing its workers and I just watched all that going “ah yes they are functioning like every large food corporation in America.” Obviously this isn’t a fault with the game but I’m taking a class on dangerous workplaces and “working people until they collapse” is still not quite “25 people died in a fire because they felt pressure to skirt fire safety rules from bosses who didn’t have an escape plan and required doors to be locked to ‘keep flies out’”

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Why does Haru talk like that? She has a unique accent and I could never tell if it was supposed to be a “this person fancy” affectation or something else. I wondered that about Kasumi at first but the first time I saw her in the Metaverse and she talked more naturally I figured out that it was just her trying to play the part

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

It’s oddly comforting that the crowds in this game are full of people wearing masks. I know that’s just like, how it is in Asia even without a pandemic but it just feels nice

Edit: Big Huge P5R November Spoilers ahead

Akechi turning full Hitlerjugend is wild. There’s a little too much exposition all at once after the Big Fake, given that the Phantom Thieves’ entire plan plus the villains happily explaining literally everything to each other come back to back. The heist is fun and Shido is a very on-the-nose political villain who I am going to enjoy pantsing in front of the entire country. The whole sequence of replaying the opening of the game is also dope, I knew it was gonna happen but I had forgotten exactly who was speaking since I didn’t know anyone and I had also forgotten that Kasumi comes to bail me out.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Mar 21, 2021

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

PMush Perfect posted:

As well as several of the most heartbreaking.

The only one that I found truly heartbreaking so far is Haru (although inevitably having to let Kasumi down easy is probably gonna be hard as well)

Honestly the number of romances where the girl is completely clueless about romance is kinda weird. Obviously Futaba is gonna fall in that category, and all of the appropriately-aged romances have character-based reasons for being that way, plus there’s Chihaya, who is an adult that acts basically like the others when you romance her. She’s not quite in the “stop it you’re twice his age Jesus” category with Doc, Teach, and Ace Reporter. It just feels really weird that there seems to be absolutely no gap between “oh dear I’ve never kissed a boy before” and “look you can’t tell anyone about this until you’re 18 now come to my apartment”. Fully 50% of the relationships are with someone who has basically never spent any time with someone of the opposite gender who treats them like a human being.

Also in more specific complaints the difference between the last level of the link with Futaba confirmed my belief that romancing her is bad. in the romance scene she goes to Akihabara completely without you but then basically backslides into “please never leave me” which seems to make her desire to actually exist out in the world fall by the wayside. In the friendship scene you go with her to Akihabara, but she goes off on her own and forgets the time because she’s actually getting more comfortable being on her own. Joker getting into a relationship with her seems like it might hurt her in the long run, and honestly feels kind of like you’re taking advantage. It also feels weird given how the game sort of positions you as honorary siblings.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

It makes me laugh that both of the Nijima sisters appear to be better actors than Ann. I would kill to see Ann attempt improv comedy.

Acerbatus posted:

Chihaya is like 2 or 3 years older than Joker, as opposed to more like 10 for Tae, Kawakami and Ohya.

I sort of assumed like, 21-22, assuming she’d left her home after high school and spent a couple of years telling fortunes and scamming people for a cult

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

December spoilers:

i thought I had already spoiled myself on the ending completely but man Akechi being Shido’s kid shocked me. I think the song that played during the Shido battles was underwhelming. I know there’s a little more to go but it felt like it was trying to be final-boss-epic but wasn’t mixed quite right. And Ryuji’s near-death was exhilarating, even if I knew he was gonna be ok. He got his big hero moment! I also think I ship Ann/Ryuji now, her reaction to his sacrifice was touching and I just like the two of them together.

Also more generally it’s been fun to track my feelings towards Akechi as the game has gone on

Introduction: oh look a cute little Sherlock Holmes-y rival who clearly has something going on because he can hear Morgana
Through the first half of the social link: oh man it’s a real shame they don’t get to fall in love so Akechi has to hunt down the one person who has ever truly understood him
After Futaba’s palace: maybe he turns evil because everyone gives up on him and cheers for the thieves and that makes him crazy
After Ohmura’s palace: hmm, maybe my initial thoughts weren’t right, I know he joins the party eventually maybe he realizes that the phantom thieves are good and teams up
School Festival: it’s weird that Makoto is so unsure of whether he will come to our festival me and him are besties and he so obviously knows who we are
After the 7th/8th social links: oh he hates me lol you whiny bitch I know you’re gonna gently caress us over
November: oh man he’s an actual factual sociopath, I thought I was Hannibal and he was Will Graham but I think it must be the other way around
December: his brain is completely broken in ways I did not expect he’s like a loving Batman villain he’s a golem of hate of course he’s Loki he’s killed dozens of people are we really supposed to think he’s not beyond saving? What the gently caress game? How do people ship this maniac with anyone?

In a game where most of the characters don’t have that many layers beyond a general sense of “hiding my true self” and/or “adults hosed me up,” Akechi is like a giant insecure onion.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Hunt11 posted:

Surely you have been on the internet long enough to know the answer to this question.

Oh yeah I know that’s the actual answer but honestly I expected that to make more sense as the story went along but honestly it makes less

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I cooked a bunch of Korean BBQ meats last night, and it was raining, so decided to do my own version of the Rainy Day Special Mega Beef Bowl Challenge!

After a long attempt, I still couldn't see the rice

I began to suspect the bowl I created was a portal to the Meat Dimension

The amount of meat contained within the bowl was truly staggering.

In order to finish, I must have Understanding of my limits, Knowledge to control my pace, Courage to face the unrelenting tide of beef, and the Diligence to persevere against this colossal challenge.

I guess I need to level up to try again...

Related question: what are all the red things on the beef bowl in Ryuji/Yusuke’s Showtime attack? That bowl looks hella tasty (as does most of the food in this game) but I couldn’t figure that out

Also post recipe for Korean BBQ plz

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Arist posted:

Pretty sure it's ginger.

Harrow posted:

Yeah it's pickled ginger (which is delicious)

Ah that makes sense. It kinda looked like it might be crunchy and spicy but I couldn’t think of what that might actually be

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Is Joker’s “official” name being Ren a reference to Footloose, or is it a coincidence that both are mysterious young men going to a new school and shaking things up by telling adults to eat poo poo?

What I’m asking is does he do gymnastics to music in an abandoned steel mill in the dancing spin-off?

Also I keep seeing pictures of this new detailed statuette of Makoto up for pre-order and honestly I think it’s a little too horny. Makes the bottom half of her biker gear look painted on, which seems like it would not be safe to ride Johanna in

https://twitter.com/persona_central/status/1365142625377021953?s=21

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

PMush Perfect posted:

Probably the thing I hate most about P5. These girls are supposed to be wearing what represents letting themselves cut loose and run wild, and they’ve been given outfits that make them actively uncomfortable.

It’s the same kind of problem as why the nude modeling thing sucks so much.

I didn’t like it when it was just Ann and immediately after tearing down a creep for sexualizing her she gets thrown into a skintight leather catsuit, but there was a line about Haru after her costume was revealed about how each person’s costume was a reflection of what a hero looked like to them and it made more sense to me. The costumes are all so disparate and it’s a reflection of each character’s influences. Honestly Makoto’s costume is the one that least feels like that because I don’t really know what it is trying to resemble. Like she likes action movies and cop/crime dramas but skintight leather doesn’t quite fit as well those influences it does for Ann, who looks like a European spy heroine, or Futaba who looks like a hacker.

I know what the actual answer is (game made by mostly dudes who like women in skintight costumes)

Endorph posted:

ann especially makes no sense because the game flipflops constantly on whether or not shes confident in her looks. like shes a model and at one point ryuji pervs on her and she laughs at it and during the beach scene she makes fun of him for staring at her bikini, which all gives the vibe of 'confident in her body' but then also shes embarrassed by the panther outfit and theres the nude modeling gag. now obviously 'nude modeling' is a step above the other stuff but like, they put that scene in the game specifically to have a gag where she's shy about her body, and the panther thing especially is just bizarre. and theres other times ryuji pervs on her and shes shy and mad instead of laughing it off.

I think someone earlier in the thread said this but Ann is comfortable when she’s in control. She models on her own terms, she’s wearing her bikini at the beach, but the Panther costume just sort of appears, and the times where the boys decide that Ann must go use her body to get poo poo done it’s very much not her in charge. I think that post brought up the car ride in the desert where she felt sweaty and gross and the boys were all trying to look down her shirt as the same sort of situation. It’s understandable and I would bet that a lot of people whose job it is to look good feel the same way. When it’s on your terms and you have the power, you know you’re hot and feel confident in that, but when someone else is trying to push you or take away your control then you start to feel insecure and unsafe.

Now, just because I can make a solid character-based reading doesn’t mean I don’t think the game leans wayyyyyyy too much on this. I think the nude modeling jokes are too much, and how close they come to the Kamoshida arc is uncomfortable. I think that much of the time the game tries to make things in character and make sense from a story perspective so that they can justify it but just because you can justify it doesn’t mean you should do it

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Mar 28, 2021

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Harrow posted:

No wonder Yoshizawa's shares so many elements with Joker's

Hers clicked for me instantly because of the transformation sequence: she’s a magical girl! I dunno if there’s a particular character that it’s most modeled after but that transformation was 100% Sailor Moon and friends.

Honestly the one that made the least sense to me was Akechi’s good boy costume, mostly because when I saw it my first and only thought was “oh poo poo it’s Sgt Pepper’s bandleader”

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Makoto’s social link is kinda dumb because parts of it resemble a show where an alien comes to earth and has to have poo poo explained to them.

I went on one of those mini-dates with her to Dome Town and she was like “I’ve never been to one of these before I wonder why hoo-mans like them so much”, which is just not an interesting character beat at all. The social link plays with it a little but you quit early on and go follow a different line which is weird for a different reason, but there are still moments like that elsewhere. It’s not even that she’s never been to an amusement park, which would make sense for someone who was mostly raised by a single father who was a police officer, but they really brush over all of the interesting stuff and turn her into a character from 3rd Rock From The Sun

There are also moments where she does something surprising, like being scared of ghosts and it’s just there to be a moment where she jumps into the protag’s arms instead of an interesting character beat. Makoto is such a Velma how did that happen?

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Mar 28, 2021

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

December Spoilers:

the scene where Shido reveals his guilt is incredibly funny because the two guys in the frame are wilding out instead of like, tackling him or telling the cameraman cut or doing anything other than flailing with a dumbass look on their face

Edit:

Even larger end of game spoilers:

honestly I think what makes me maddest about how this game treats Ann is that she is still by far my favorite character in the game. If you listed off the most noticeable character traits (hot half-American teenage model who wears a leather catsuit) you would think “oh no what am I getting into” and despite the moments where the game lives down to that expectation, she rocks because her characterization remains consistent: she’s kind, she cares about her friends, she grows into someone who wants to keep future young women out of the lovely situation she found herself in. You watch her grow through the whole game. The stakes for her in that first palace are so real and the moments where she takes control are awesome, and in the sequence where you get everyone back out of their malaise in the Velvet Room I saved her for last because I knew that her talking about giving up would tear me up and it did. Mad props to the VA there, I think the line “I never want to feel that way again” is probably my favorite line in the game, not because of the words but the delivery.

I have more thoughts about the end but I still haven’t actually beaten the boss yet. I just needed to say that because every time I see Ann/Morgana’s Showtime attack I see that boob jiggle and shake my head

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Mar 28, 2021

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Feels Villeneuve posted:

not to subs/dubs things (and P5 has notably worse translation than P4 or P5S, which IIRC was a time constraints thing), but it's really rare that i see english-language voice actors do grade-school aged kids well

I’m torn because I really don’t like his voice but the lady who did it was Rita Repulsa in the MMPR dub so I don’t think I can criticize her without betraying my 8-year-old self

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I finished the main part of the game and the biggest change in the Royal section is everyone getting a fashion upgrade. I dig Futaba’s new hoodie, Akechi and Joker both look less like dweebs, and Kasumi goes 2/2 on outfits in the first two days

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I love Royal Akechi, he no longer has to hide that he’s a broken sociopath and everything that comes out of his mouth is the most sneering disdain, it’s hilarious. He’s like the real life “I’m going to turn into the Joker” except in this case Joker turned him into like, Two-Face

Edit: ah oh my god his showtime turns him into loving psycho batman

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Mar 29, 2021

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Harrow posted:

Yeah it absolutely rules. He's such a fun character to watch when he's actually being himself--not the fake detective prince, not the "drive himself psychotic with Loki" slasher mode, but Akechi as he really is. Joker gets to have some fun reactions to him, especially in response to Yoshizawa's confusion at seeing the real Akechi.

The conversations between him and Palace Ruler Maruki are like literal versions of calmhitler.jpg but instead of genocide it’s... whatever the gently caress Maruki is trying to do

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I’m generally liking the writing a little more in the Royal segment so far but there is one thing about it that sort of exacerbates a complaint I had about the game generally:

I think it’s lame that Joker is basically perfect. I know he’s supposed to be a sort of cipher for the player to mold into the Joker of their choosing but it ends up really making the relationships in the game so one-sided. You go and fix some deep personal problem for all of your confidants and in return they can’t actually help you out person to person because you’re basically not a human, so they offer up stuff. I imagine it would be very hard to actually write in good character building over a game where there are so many conversations that may or may not happen, but the dynamic is such that occasionally he’s borderline messianic.

Royal exacerbates this because after you finally get to hang out with your friends during your free time they each approach you, one after the other, on consecutive days, and basically prostrate themselves in front of you for the very understandable offense of buying into this manipulation to give them everything Maruki thought they wanted. (Edit: I wish so bad that instead of apologizing for wanting to spend time with her sister and her dead dad, Makoto had been like “motherfucker I slept in your bed in Christmas Eve and you went on what Kasumi clearly thought was a date on New Years Day and I caught you red handed what is wrong with you”) And you can sit there like an rear end in a top hat and say “yeah well don’t do it again” or you can be empathetic but what you can’t do is commiserate because you’re mister special and immediately saw through it with your psychopath rival. I want to know what sort of impact these people have on Joker as a person beyond hidden abilities and “The Power of Teamwork”. I want to see what Joker’s actual perfect life would be beyond “not under imminent threat of arrest”. I would have loved to see Akechi’s too, and I’m early enough that it’s still possible that there could be some heartbreaking scene of Akechi not driven insane by his upbringing.

Edit: I would love to know what the people at the darts bar think of the weirdo who comes in to play darts with his cat and wrecks everyone even at the highest level

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Mar 29, 2021

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

If the people in charge of Royal are making future Persona games I know everyone will at least look good. Maybe my love of long winter coats makes me biased but I feel like all of the outfits look way better, and even your party members’ personas get in on the action. I love the 50’s Americana vibe I get from a lot of the third stages even if I don’t quite get how it works thematically. Haru’s looks like a Hollywood starlet with the hair wrap and big sunglasses, Yusuke’s has a pompadour and a big-rear end cigar, Ann’s is blowin’ bubbles with a rose-painted jacket (and the men she’s using are wearing fedoras), and Morgana’s has that same rose design on the rolled up sleeves. On the other hand, Ryuji’s is straight up early 2000s sci-fi, Futaba’s is just a star destroyer (or any number of triangle-shaped battleships) and Makoto’s is... the Batmobile? Maybe they didn’t want to follow trend and turn it into a Harley or a Ford Firebird or what have you.

Acerbatus posted:

Reminder to everyone playing Royal to save your compendium personas now and then. Don't be like me and sac your 99 magic Satan only to remember the one you have saved has 60. :suicide:

On this note what’s the best way to get that award for raising all of a persona’s stats to 99?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Now that I’ve stopped playing the game for a second I want to just mention one of my favorite parts of the main game

So the entire time I was playing P5R I kept feeling like it was very relevant to our modern political climate, presumably because Japan, like most countries, is going through a period where old people are maintaining power for longer because they can and loving over younger generations in the process, which is very explicitly one of the things the game is about. I think it might take me longer to entirely sort out what the game has to say about that, and it’s not all going to be relevant to the US, although Shido feels like any number of American politicians, his bad traits are pretty universal. I do want to shout out the scene at the end of the game where you’re going around to talk to your teammates in the Velvet Room trying to hype them back up. I mentioned it in a previous post about Ann because I felt like her scene was one of my favorite character moments in the whole game, but the one that actually hit me the hardest was Ryuji’s. He talks about how angry he is and how maybe they would have been better off not changing those hears because the people seem to have rejected them, and as someone who lives in a state where the last 5 years have seen the right wing take full control and start doing all kinds of heinous poo poo, I knew that feeling well. It sucks so much when you have to consider that people might reject what you’re working toward, and living in a place that actively votes for divisive, racist, greedy shitheads and still trying to fight for what you think is right is hard sometimes. It’s not my fault, or the fault of anyone my age or younger that we were brought into the world just as the American Happy Good Time Capital Train ran out of fuel, and there are lots of people who are trying to keep it going by feeding it the livelihoods of young people. They tell the public that it’s the best way as their maintain power and line their pockets. Ryuji’s attitude towards adults never felt over-the-top to me, he experienced first-hand their selfishness and cruelty and found a way to try and make it better. Yusuke’s touched on something similar, and I think his line “people ought to be saved, even if they frown on it” really got to the core of it. Sometimes you wonder whether people actively fighting against things that would make their lives better even deserve better in the first place. It would be very easy to say, “well fine, if you want to continue living in a world where you’re in debt and you can’t afford to live because thinking about change makes you uncomfortable, then you can keep struggling”, but that won’t bring anyone any happiness.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

PMush Perfect posted:

I kind of skimmed through the last few pages, but I'm genuinely considering going through the arcana in the P3P female route and giving my opinions on how the links fit into it, how well they match, etc. Would anyone be interested?

I’ve had nothing to say about tarot chat but it’s really interesting and this would be cool, more effort posts please!

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Gaius Marius posted:

I banned myself from using it in Royale, There's a ton of cool NPC's you miss out on if you fast travel. Another example of Dev's giving gamers too much power

I understand that this is true and that first week of the third semester where your fast travel is limited is kinda nice because I hadn’t actually run around the train station in a while and I felt like the ritual of it is calming but this game is already clocking in at over 100 hours I don’t think you need to tack on a couple more of just moving to different spots or going to school every day

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

wanting to do that is a sign that your desires have become twisted and that you have a palace

Name: Charlie Foxtrot
What they see it as: Sea-monkey Castle Shaped Like Virtual Tokyo

edit: huh my phone is beeping that’s weird

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Hunt11 posted:

Just be careful of who you drag into help out with it.

Gonna make sure to look behind every column in sight to see if my sexy sociopathic genius rival is hiding there, I’m not a dummy

Edit: honestly I don’t know why they go through the trouble of showing Akechi watching everyone go into Okumura’s Palace. He was gonna figure it out anyways, people far dumber than him pick up on it and it’s not like anyone would have said “well how would he know?” if it wasn’t shown. It would honestly be more impressive if he didn’t actually see it and just used his abilities of deduction to figure out that the guy defending the Phantom Thieves who’s only friends are victims of the Phantom Thieves’ targets and brings his cat everywhere is sus af

Actually I wanna know how a dude bringing his cat everywhere just slips under the radar.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Mar 31, 2021

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Funky Valentine posted:

If I make Caroline and Justine a Mot that knows Dragon Eye, they said they'll give me a vaccine passport.

Vaguely related: I think my first post in this thread had me complaining about name pronunciation but once I heard Caroline and Justine pronounced in the game and they rhymed, I got it. And then I met Jose (with a “J” pronounced like an incredibly white person would) and it became hilarious. It’s revenge for years of bad dubs that butcher Japanese names.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I finally saw the end of Kasumi’s SL last night. Just as I expected, I felt truly awful having to turn her down. She’s the only one who explicitly comes out and says “I Love You”, and honestly having a guide to the “right” answers to her questions through the entire thing really made me feel like I was leading her on. This is not the game’s fault though, it’s a consequence of how I chose to play the game. But still, she took it surprisingly well. I do sort of wish there was a way in these conversations for you or the other person to acknowledge that you’re already in a relationship. Of course that’s a consequence of the game never really acknowledging your relationships in story scenes. You’d think that once you start dating Makoto someone would figure it out pretty quick.

Of course I also watched the romance scene just to get the award and while it was really cute it still bugs me that your only romance options in this game are “literally never kissed a boy” and “literally in her thirties”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Lord_Magmar posted:

It is extremely sucky though that yeah, you either get people who have never had romance amongst your age (which is a bit silly although makes sense contextually with each of the characters)

It’s very devious. You can ask “why are all of these young women so similar in this aspect?” and get a response that cites each of their individual stories and is well justified in-game, but the real question is “why did the writers make it that way?” I would imagine that for much of the target audience who cares deeply about this, that sort of innocence is a positive trait. it’s not just “they’ve never been in love” or kissed or whatever, they all just have completely never had friends of the opposite gender, and barely have friends at all generally. So it makes perfect sense for them to inevitably fall for the first guy who treats them like a human being. But when you stack all of them atop each other it feels weird and says something about either the creators or the audience, probably both.