Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Man I wish going to Wolfort in Chapter 15 wasn't a secret requirement because I did it on my first playthrough and now I miss out on a recruit because I have to do it again for my ng+ run :negative:

After you finish ng+ there should really be a chapter select option that lets you go to any chapter you've already done and choose different options or whatever.

On Piccoletta: Besides Decoy's amazing utility, she requires a ton of money for offensive item stock but her throw range is ridiculous. Never use Ball Toss(unless you're securing a kill or something), Pico's goal is to get back to 3TP ASAP for another Decoy. Copycat has surprising utility(nabbing spells from enemy healers is fun if you can pull it off) and while using the copied skill eats TP the copying itself does not.

Also Lionel is great. Ruffle Feathers is all he has for a long time but it's really all he needs. He can call some cliff-camping mage a stupid rear end in a top hat and that mage will immediately run off to not bother you for 2 turns. I've never seen Endless Speech fail to hit at least 1 of it's effects, and his ultimate skill is just Milo's But Better. Even when the mages are dealt with he can just sit behind/next to your tank yelling at people and clogging up the killzone so the enemies just shuffle amongst themselves and don't accomplish anything.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jul 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Well, you don't get to recruit Trish, but in retrospect that scans. Frederica says she'll be totally fine and can handle it on her own, and unlike Roland, she's not wrong.

Tbf it's said she'll be bringing soldiers with her, so it's Frederica + wolfort grunts + some roselle units probably vs some generic bandits and Trish, not much of a fight there.

I was spoiled on the GR conditions so I did those on my first run(before getting owned by it and doing an ng+ to buff up a bit more, womp womp), but tbf the only one I wouldn't have done naturally is smuggling the salt, because we get shown Baldy McSlaver just fuckin oppressing the utter poo poo out of some slaves just before that decision I also generally went with Frederica's choices.

Though it's funny how Benedict always seens to think I would be super on-board with terrible strategies. Blowing up the dam is loving idiotic why did you assume that I would even entertain that idea

Out of curiosity, does Frederica ever have a Ultility choice? I noticed how while Roland and Benedict bounce a around a bit Frederica never even touches Utility. Girl has principles.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jul 16, 2022

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Important addendum to Lionel's ultimate: while incredibly powerful, it is important to make absolutely sure you have the money to use it and have not spent it all on wandering merchant materials right before a major battle like a complete loving idiot

:negative:

(GR)Also whoever's idea it was to give exharme's forces 3 healers can go gently caress themselves. I got through it trapless by the skin of my teeth but boy did they ever drag it out. Exharme himself ate poo poo before the 3rd wave even spawned, good work buddy.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

sponges posted:

I must be doing something wrong because I haven’t found much use for Medina and Julio

Medina will eventually learn TP Physick, which turns her from "bad healer" to "busted as hell". TP Physick gives a free TP to anyone she heals with an item, including Ranged pellets which can heal 5 people at once. 5 TP for the price of 0TP is ridiculous(and with 3TP she can double it). She can also give someone a free turn for 1 TP less than Benedict at the cost of an item.

Julio needs his 2nd-tier weapon upgrade to reduce the cost of Moment of Truth to 1 to get going, at which point he can easily bolster the frontline's resources or hang around the mages and turn them into terrifying death machines. He's also a solid fighter and can do respectable damage against even armored units thanks to a melee magical skill he gets later.

I wouldn't follow someone else's Tier List too closely though(i'm already disgusted by Hughette not having her own tier past S that's just "Hughette"). Every character is good. Except Giovanna.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jul 16, 2022

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Finished the Golden Route. It was good, though I was kind of burnt out from two playthroughs which dulled it a bit.

It was fun watching the villains slowly crumble as they got backed into a corner and reveal what petty shitheads they are deep down, as opposed to the other routes that show various party members at their absolute worst instead. Svarog pointing out that Gustadolph doesn't actually do anything besides take credit for the success of his underlings, in front of Gustadolph's army, fuckin ruled. Same with Exharme malding so insanely hard that his army was broken on the roof-shaped anvil of House Wolfort that he drops the noble warrior facade entirely and just whines whenever someone tries to help him.

Also I thought it was unusual that there was no weird divine monster at the end of a JRPG and, magic aside, the conflict stayed grounded throughout. And then Idore went Super Saiyan and was like "HAHA DID YOU REALLY THINK YOU WERE GETTING OUT OF HERE WITHOUT FIGHTING SOME SPACE MONSTER. WHO DID YOU THINK PRODUCED THIS GAME DIPSHIT."

Anyway that's probably it for me, I'm not really interested in playing the game 2 more times to pick up Cordelia and Trish(and I straight-up refuse to sell out the Roselle) and the only ending I have left to do is Roland's, which I don't want to because why would you do that.

Good game, 8/10 still needs a chapter select function in NG++.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

If you want to just be super denegerate, Quahaug's Reverse Space Time and Julio's Inheritor can cause an infinite loop where you can basically do anything you want. Reverse doesn't bring units back to life so you can just burst-damage down one unit at a time with your strongest abilities. It also doesn't get rid of some "special" buffs like invincibility and Geela's auto-res, so with enough patience you can exit the loop with everyone both invincible and with a free 1up.

Also don't sleep on Time Compression, with the effectiveness increase it has double the power of Geela's boosted Haste(+6 vs +3). Warping units is always handy, and Turn Back Time is a useful heal that also removes status in some cases.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Fangz posted:

It doesn't just remove status, it can also extend status effects, like Erador's invincibility and the Act Twice Benedict grants..

Never thought of that but it sounds great. Quahaug in general just really rewards creativity and being a complete degenerate goblin.

Natural 20 posted:

Julio prior to any upgrades allows you to activate your mages every turn which is honestly pretty incredible, Ezana just dumping a lightning strike every turn is often enough to cripple an opposed army. Once he upgrades he's part of the core for stuff like perma Ezana lightning which just snaps the game in half.

Moment of Truth costs 2tp unupgraded, which limits his mage-helping quite a bit. Once his weapon hits rank 2 and he gets that upgrade though he just takes off.

Though tbf he's also a very good fighter early-game so his kill tp+ helps with that.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Ace Transmuter posted:

Ambush! This looked bad for a minute, until I was able to get everyone up the cliff on the left. Ultimately this was one was more of a team effort, with Jens' ladder getting everyone to safety, and Eridor and Piccoletta covering the retreat. Hughette again put in work, while Frederica trapped a group of enemies in some burning grass.

Honestly my two biggest weak links are Roland and Serenoa. They do less damage than I was expecting and seem to be made out of papier-mache

Serenoa can put in a lot of work with Hawk Dive +1(and it has a surprising height range, so he can sometimes make a mage or archer regret getting too close to a cliff), he's generally meant to just patch up the battle situation, whether that's just hitting a dude in the back or setting up a follow-up or delaying a boss. He's very much not a strict frontliner but he can generally be trusted in range of an enemy or two for a turn. His damage isn't outstanding but it remains good from start to finish. He really needs that dive range though. I keep the Resurrection Earring on him which lets me be a bit more reckless with his beefy attacks and delays. Sometimes all it takes to turn a situation around is just making a boss shut the hell up for a few more actions.

Roland on the other hand...yeah. His weapon is puny as hell and he's very squishy on top of that. His beefy movement range makes it tempting to go off on his own but he'll explode if you do that. He's mostly meant to dart out and pick off stragglers(especially lone mages and archers who love dancing around juuuust outside of your range), finish off enemies with easy back attacks, or blast a line with Flash of Steel. He also can push things off of cliffs which can be massively helpful in some maps since Erador's TP is usually at a premium. He can definitely contribute but you should generally keep him away from climby maps with a ton of bumpy terrain.

e: Also on damage: according to Math Nerds weapon strength upgrades impact damage more than stat ones, so try bumping that up if you feel someone's lagging. Roland's damage is never gonna be stellar though.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jul 18, 2022

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Fangz posted:

Roland has fantastic damage but he's reliant on crits. The best way to use him in my experience is to go behind an enemy that is near your lines, trigger his free attack passive, and then use rush to go through the opponent back into the safety of your other units.

Eventually his ultimate is the most damaging single target attack in the game. He remains squishy though.

He's TP hungry so it's kinda rough to build up the TP for his ultimate though, and while powerful it's melee range leaves him super exposed. I think horse units would've really benefitted from FE's canto, where leftover movement points can be used after an action. Both he and Hossabara's kits make a lot more sense with that being the case so I wonder if it was in an early build but was too busted. Good point on Rush, I never thought to use it like that.

Ace Transmuter posted:

Next battle was short and punchy. Half my party ended up in the Mortal Kombat pit at one point of another but everyone was able to crawl out of it okay. Frederica destroyed most of the enemies, and following advice I picked up Serenoa's Hawk Dive bonus range and he was doing really great damage. Managed to keep everyone alive though, except for Roland, but what else is new?

Yeah unfortunately Roland doesn't really have a quick-fix like Serenoa's range increase, he just needs levels and upgrades. He'll come into his own eventually! ...Eventually.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Ace Transmuter posted:

Darn; I was hoping one or both of them would pick up a Canto-like ability from their later progression. Of the two I'm definitely finding Hossabara the more useful.

Hossa's inability to really function as a main healer costs her later on when deployment slots are at a premium, but when you just need another body to whack stuff and throw out a heal or two yeah she's fun.

Flash of Steel is generally where Roland starts getting decent, and he emerges into a beautiful butterfly endgame where his move is absurd and his luck gets big enough to start critting frequently. Either way though he's a frequent forced-deploy for obvious reasons so it's worth keeping him properly leveled/promoted.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

I'm not a fan of the conviction system just because it ends up feeling kind of arbitrary. Like your actual decisions don't matter nearly as much as how you answer some random NPCs, so rather than roleplay you're incentivized to just spread out your answers so you have more options. The point recruits also incentivize this since most of them have dual requirements.

I think i'd prefer if all recruits were like Corentin/Rudolph, but then again you'd run the risk of having a seriously unbalanced team. It's a tough dilemma.

Harrow posted:

I had exactly one vote that I just plain couldn't succeed at in my first playthrough. I even created a second save so I could save scum and see if it was possible (since I decided I'd play out whatever happened on my first playthrough). It was the vote to smuggle the salt.

No matter what choices I picked--even looking up the optimal ones--I couldn't convince a single person, not even the undecided one. Turns out I had really, really, really low Utility. So I can confirm that it's possible for a choice to just be completely impossible because of a low conviction score. Not sure how low a score has to be, but it's possible.

Yeah that one is kind of a brick wall out of nowhere. You need at least 444 Utlility to get Anna to move on it. There's also votes that people won't budge on even in a NG+. Convincing Roland to flood the capital takes like 3000 utility or something ridiculous like that. Frederica and Benedict are also fairly stubborn when it comes to each-other's options.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 20, 2022

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Looper posted:

iirc votes have the largest singular effect on serenoa's conviction scores, but i like that it gets heavily affected by conversations with strangers too, he's considering his words and the impact they'll have on people. it all makes sense to me

Votes get a maximum of +40(+10 for everyone you try to sway that way whether it succeeds or not, -10 for each person you try to sway the opposite way(only if you're trying to get cute and play both sides, otherwise no penalty). There's also +50 in the event of a tie and Serenoa having to make the final decision.

NPC answers get you a flat +50 for that choice. There's like 3000ish total points from them alone(depending on route choice), and they're the single biggest contributor to conviction scores.

e: unless you want to really grind tavern fights for those piddly +1 or 2 boosts every once in a while but uh don't do that

e2:

Harrow posted:

I liked it specifically because it wasn't just a system where the player gets to make any decision they want. That you have to convince people to go along with it means your choices up to then (represented by your conviction scores) matter in getting the outcomes you want, otherwise no dialogue choice outside of "which path do we take?" would ever matter. I like that it's possible for Serenoa just to not be the kind of person who can convincingly make an argument to smuggle illicit salt or flood the capital city depending on how you've played him up to then.

Similarly, the requirements for conviction recruits only encourage you to game the system if you look up what the requirements are. If you're playing blind, there's no real way to know that, oh, if you get 750 Liberty and 1050 Utility you get an old lady who punches real good, not until NG+ anyway, at which point the game reveals all the numbers to you and encourages you to game them to get the other outcomes you didn't see the first time.

The game tells you upfront that your scores will affect votes and who joins you, which kind of encourages gaming it NPC answer-wise. I'd just prefer it if recruits were tied more to decisions themselves than arbitrary point totals.

ex: Giving up Roland could get you a Wolffort soldier who never died in a siege, while protecting him could get you a Landroi survivor. Things like that.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jul 20, 2022

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

So to get this out of my head while it's fresh, Benedict seems to have a game-long Thing where he's kind of low-key prejudiced against the Roselle? It's iffy because there's reasonable explanations for a lot of it once you know his real motive

During the Roselle protection debate he always makes sure to refer to the Roselle and the people of the Wolfort demense as seperate groups, and voting to save them is one of the few times he seems frustrated with a decision. Serenoa backing up Frederica's logic at the 2nd stage of the negotiation route is pretty much the only time he directly backtalks Serenoa outside of Frederica's route proper, and right before the big route split he immediately starts talking down to Frederica after she(correctly, according to his and the GR epilogues) intuits that he has no intention of ever really addressing the issue if he can help it.

Of course, his real goal is to make sure Destra's line can't be used as political trading cards ever again so he might just be frustrated at Serenoa preferring helping people over accruing political power. But he's also fine with the Roland route where they give up everything to Idore.

It's not frothing hatred like Hyzante's leadership but he doesn't really seem to see them as people, at least until the GR epilogue where he acknowledges that he had no intention to help them and feels genuine guilt about it

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jul 23, 2022

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Fangz posted:

Frederica's ending is far worse than Benedict's ending.

1. Given the events of that ending the entire number of people you save (assuming no one dies on the journey) can fit into one ship. That really isn't a lot of people! The roselle you rescue aren't even all the roselle. There's roselle in side stories living on the fringes of Glenbrook.
2. Gustadolph is implied to win the Saltiron war. Whatever happens in the Benedict ending is at least softened by Serenoa and co's intent to do good within whatever restricted amount of political power they grant themselves. Gustadolph running Norzellia? Not so much. Pretty much every negative aspect of the Benedict ending is probably present, only more so.
3. Also insert non-specified damage from the war.
4. There isn't anything actually stopping the Roselle from leaving in the Benedict ending, given apparently you can literally walk there.

(I'll also omit the tiresome argument that some people seem to think capitalism and transitional economic turmoil is worse than literal feudalism here)

All Benedict's ending really does is exchange one oppression for another. It's probably the most depressing overall(Roland's is more farcical) because everyone is forced to sacrifice their values to get by until they're casually dismissing the woes of the people they swore to protect. And there's a good reason why it's ending still is Serenoa and Frederica looking absolutely miserable while Benedict has a big goofy smile.

Also "transitional economic turmoil" my dude we literally see someone starve to death in the epilogue while Serenoa & co eagerly give more big contracts to merchants and Benedict tut-tuts any thought of helping the people driven to murder just to survive because that would be "unfair". it's full-blown capitalism baby and if you're not already rich and/or well-connected then go gently caress yourself. There's also the fact that Roland, backed by Hyzante's greatest cockroach, is going to make good on his promise to end Serenoa if he starts acting like he acts in the epilogue

Frederica's lets you be Fantasy John Brown(with more success) and I can think of way worse fates. The crux of it is that you don't have the resources or connections to do things the GR way, and Serenoa recognizes that now that the cat's out of the bag this poo poo is never going to end and Wolfort can't really do anything about it without either seriously compromising their principles and/or becoming part of the problem, so they might as well do the right thing then get out before everything goes to hell.

Also notably in the GR Frederica's the only one of the main 3 who never voices regret over her choices during the epilogue. Because she's the only one with nothing to be ashamed of.

e: edited a bunch because i can't words good

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jul 29, 2022

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Bug Squash posted:

I never got the impression he was prejudiced against the Roselle. He just ranks them all as lower in importance than the Big Pressing Concerns. I would expect the same attitude towards some random village, it's just that a random village never present themselves as an obstacle.

Frederica had him bang to rights. The oppressed simply don't feature on the time tables of conquerers.

Yeah this is where I'm at I think, he just always seems to get more sassy when you decide to do the more difficult right thing rather than immediately scorched-earth the situation. Looking back it's a pretty good hint that his priority isn't exactly just "protect wolfort demense". or in other words

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Benedict is basically a Libertarian, in that he doesn’t necessarily actively want to harm oppressed & marginalized people but basically everything he does and believes would inevitably harm oppressed and marginalized people.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jul 29, 2022

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Ace Transmuter posted:

What's the difficulty curve like in New Game+? How quickly or slowly does it take to get through additional runs through the game?

Mission 1 is an absolute ball-buster of death, the rest is pretty much on-curve with the rest of the game if a bit easier because you have way more elite promotions and skill access(the kudos shop will restock with 5 medals of valor 3-4 times during the playthrough). Enemies only gain one level per story mission(till they hit the max of 50) on NG+ so keeping everyone leveled is easier.

Protip: Run Roland to the corner to bait Trish for a turn or two, do not attempt to bring him close to the main group until you've thinned things out or you will get slaughtered because you cannot possibly handle all of them at once. If you benched Benedict completely you may run into issues, if he's just a couple levels behind due to route split availability then you'll be fine.

Also the bandits are complete assholes who can jump into the water, move past you, then jump out to backstab you in one turn, so be careful of that. They hit super fuckin' hard.

Natural 20 posted:

Ultimately the choice between people who are actively and horrifically discriminated against on screen and the theoretical poor man on the street who you never seen ends up with a lot of people picking the people on screen.

I think it is hugely unfair to claim that the Utility ending is just as bad for the man on the street as the Morality ending is.

Benedict's peace is built on a knife edge to be sure, but there is no active conflict in Norzelia. There is inequality and that is bad but it is absolutely nowhere near the level of what happens in Morality where there is a second active conflict that leaves Gustadolph in charge of all Norzelia by the end. (Which in of itself assumes that he's willing to maintain the peace with Exharme, which I contend neither would and leads to another active conflict). Gustadolph who would go way way harder on destructive capitalism than Serenoa with Frederica in his left ear.

Contrast to the Utility ending and yeah you have bad capitalism, nowhere near as bad as Gustadolph and maybe a second war brewing, way better than an active second war with the threat of a third.

I wouldn't say it's meaningfully more or less difficult than NG, it's just different (Apart from mission 1 which is an arse)

Serenoa has Frederica in his left ear, but also Benedict in his right, and we see which one he actually listens to. I mean I agree it's not a worst-case scenario(that would be the Utility route, Benedict's is Freedom) but it's still not a solution either and is fairly depressing overall, it's basically just Benedict forcing the outcome he personally wants and everyone else kinda has to follow along because they're out of options(which is why he does most of the talking, Serenoa doesn't really want to be here but welp there's no turning back). Morality also isn't totally sunshine and roses, of course. Both are making the best of a bad situation, it's just that Morality is the one where you ultimately don't compromise your principles(which is generally what TS Morality is about, it's the line in the sand. Yeah you have to do some shady poo poo as a ruler but there has to be a limit otherwise you're just a self-serving rear end in a top hat).

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jul 30, 2022

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Ace Transmuter posted:

Been re-reading the thread now that I'm less worried about spoilers.

The English voice acting really does pick up towards the end of the game. The scene where Benedict and Serenoa get in a verbal fight and then an actual fight was awesome.

Chapter 18 on Frederica's route was intense as hell. Cornered and vastly outnumbered and outclassed by the enemy (even at the recommended level). Still not quite sure how I ended up surviving that one. Fred and the archers put in the bulk of the work. Ended up with only four characters left alive at the end.

Fred's weapon skill was incredibly helpful in the mock battle with all the chests on the cliff. Feels a bit bad having her light up all the Rosellan guards up there, but it made a nice path to all that money in the end.

Yeah 18 is nuts. Especially if you're an idiot like me and gloss over time stop being an aoe when reading the boss' skills. yeah that's fine i like having my most important frontliners just unable to do poo poo for 3 turns, this is extremely good to me.

Frederica's weapon skill doesn't see use too often, but when it's good it's really good. Trivialized a few otherwise-rough battles for me.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

dude789 posted:

Yeah Corentin's usefulness curve is kind of similar to Benedict. He's good at the start of the game, then falls behind as Frederica and Ezana outpace him for damage. Then he gets Glacial Moon and the TP on Ice and he's back to being really good.

I find him mediocre at the start, mostly because a lot of his skillset flat-out sucks without TP on Ice. TS units in general kind of share a flaw in that they're balanced with their endgame kits in mind so some units are just big farts until they become gods.

e: Roland aside the story group are probably the most balanced and work fine start-to-finish, Anna drops off a bit near the end but she can still hold her own.

Ace Transmuter posted:

My process so far has been to get my entire army up to the recommended level before each story battle. It has definitely felt like a bit of drag at times but I genuinely enjoy using every character so far and they all have their use cases, even if I have do have favorites. But these have also fluctuated as time has gone on. Corentin went from being my favorite mage from moving to the middle of the pack. I was singing Hughette's praises upthread and now she's probably my least favorite of the archers I have (but I mean, compared to mini-Anna with a bow and actual damage and Old-Man-Delete-Anyone-Anywhere-From-The-Map it's stiff competition). I'm finally getting a handle on Medina's TP-raining abilities. Even the less strictly useful characters, like Jens and Decimal, are still fun as hell to use (I get Jens is god-mode with traps but I'm garbage at reading enemy AI I guess so I only succeed like half the time).

In any case, I think I prefer this method to having to play catch-up with a bunch of scrubs for the endgame. And I'm liking the story but I'm not so invested that I've got a driving need to skip grinding to see what happens next.

This is how I played too, but I mostly ended up using the story team + whoever seems handy that map.

It's easy to count out Hughette until you have to play a rough mission without half the enemy team being blinded or rooted to one spot. I suck at trap-reads too, for me enemies are generally super-inconsistent about running into traps. Sometimes they'll specifically move around them, sometimes they'll just barrel into one immediately. Most annoyingly they'll sometimes use it for movement after an attack or just trigger it to get it out of the way of someone else. Best you can do is put them in stairways/chokepoints* or directly behind someone in backstab range. You can also sometimes use their trap-awareness to your advantage to get the enemies lining up single-file because they want to avoid your trap.

e: *unless that chokepoint is in front of one of the fire trap statues and you forgot that contact damage is a thing, then you accidently trigger them via flying enemy and cry. this definitely never happened to me. twice.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Aug 4, 2022

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Giovanna is held back by like 95% of the game being pavement or stone(this also technically hurts Frederica but she hits so hard that it doesn't matter) Also her moves lack punch for how conditional they are and the straight-line range can be a nightmare with the limited positioning of terrain.

The only thing she has going for her is that the grass move is stupid-good which gives her a niche on a single map. She is admittedly extremely good on that single map. She can get use if promoted with Corentin because any battle Corentin takes part in is going to have ice fuckin everywhere by the end of it, but you could also take someone who can be useful outside of Corentin's attack range,

Also, on top of everything else, she's slow as hell.

To TS's credit, having only one stinker out of like 30 units is really good.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

The key to Maxwell is his promotion yes, it gives him a built-in resurrection earring and access to his ridiculous ultimate which lets him hit-and-run with a sunfall-sized aoe attack. It costs 5 TP but Maxwell has no issue with TP gain. Spears are still a pretty weak weapon though so his damage won't be outstanding, but it's not really low either.

Ace Transmuter posted:

Yeah I'm not seeing it. Her damage is bonkers, enough to make the conditionals worth it (lining up enemies is one thing, but icing the floor is trivial). She hits hard with her basic attack, has ridiculous movement and a 1 TP ranged move she can use practically anywhere, generates TP twice as fast unless you have her standing still for some reason, and her weapon skill wrecks.

I'm not gonna argue she's like S or A tier but she's definitely not a stinker.

Trekking for TP is one of those "sounds good on paper but doesn't usually work out that way" skills, especially if you've got ice everywhere slowing her down. I've never seen her damage go beyond piddly, especially the rock throw which is so wimpy as to be almost useless even with the damage upgrade, but I didn't exactly invest much into her either and I never really tested her out post-promotion. Maybe she's one of those "completely useless until promoted then is suddenly good" units.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 29, 2022

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Decimal is probably the character who's power surprised me most, even without the height skill the super-low instadeath chance on 5 led to a surprising amount of really stupid victories. On Hard especially even 1 unit getting vaporized is such a massive tempo swing in your favor. And once he gets height he just becomes death incarnate on any map where enemies start high above you, which for late-game mental battles is almost all of them. And even on normal maps just hitting 2-3 enemies every couple turns really adds up over time.

He's a good boy who does his best.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Aug 31, 2022

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Mustard Iceman posted:

Giovanna was insanely powerful when I did New Game+ female-only playthrough. On a whole bunch of maps, I gave her the "move first accessory," had her move enough to proc Trekking for TP. Then on her next turn, her gauge was full and she unleashed Gaia's Roar. Had Medina item her, used the TP-up quietus, and she was able to Gaia's Roar again on her 3rd turn. This took out about half a dozen units in the bridge fight and basically the whole right side of the map in the Source fight.

So yeah, Giovanna takes effort, but of all the "takes effort" characters, I think she has the best payoff.

Quahaug is still undefeated in that category, since his "takes effort" payoff is "every enemy you can reach dies at no cost, also everyone has invincibility + autores if you're patient enough"

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I may run it again in a later playthrough, just to fight my way through it, but it's subsequent mission seems very hard. Erika and Thalas on a small bridge? I know I can do it, but I'm trying to do without losing anyone so I'm not quite sure how to manage it at the moment.

Which leads me to the question: How does shoving work?

I know the units that can do it and the spaces they push for on average. However, I know you can't shove through people, and if someone is in the targets destination they'll stop before falling. Can you shove through height differences if so how many? And if you do shove someone into someone else, does the latter person move or no? Thanks!

Generally the safest way to beat that mission is weirdly enough an all-out offense on Thalas' side of the map. Thalas himself can be immediately neutralized by either a lucky first-turn sleep or a Jen trap booting him off the edge on his first move, both are inconsistant but having that rear end in a top hat out of your hair for a while is massive.

Also yeah you can shove through the tiny height change on that mission.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Sep 6, 2022

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I'm playing on normal (trying to not die for that reward), and so far so good, but that map was easier than expected since the enemy just did not advance. They turtled and I went bit by bit. I'm almost at the lvl 50 max, with Benedict and Picco at 38, so I'll have to bum-rush their leveling soon enough. Ben's good, but unless you're feeding him TP, he's far less effective than you'd like since it's sort of a waste to cast a buff, I wish he could get a buff that cost 0 TP or something. The best thing to do with him is get him to 3 TP, and then just cast Bird of Prey until you need Now/Two Actions. Which makes him far better during the first turn, but then costs him a couple of turns otherwise. Piccoletta has uses, but she's just so weak that in this no death run it makes her impossible to use.

I agreed to follow the idiot and boy does Frederica let Serenoa have it. It's both very visceral and pleasing to watch, but ugh, this path sucks. At least the game makes you feel wretched for doing it. There's no question about it, you are the bad guy here.

I ended up getting Travis this run too. I like him! He has a very good and strong steal, vs Trish who needs to basic attack often forgoing a kill, and with the right items can play quite well up front. He's not designed to be a team-player though, which is a pity because no one should go it alone in this game, but I guess if I gave him the Regen item he could maybe just head out on his and do some damage somewhere.

Once I finish this path I'm going for my 3rd run to get Cordelia and see how Ben's plan plays out.

Not sure if it's a difficulty thing but yeah on Hard they just blast straight at you and you have to neutralize the offensive side entirely in like 1-2 rounds or people start dropping fast

Benedict's one of the few characters who can function at lower levels, mostly because his offensive presence is nonexistant anyway. When properly leveled he can actually take hits though(check that Defense, it's surprisingly big). Also dragon Shield is insanely good on Hard and being able to throw it out turn 1 is huge. Either way getting any stragglers to 50 takes like 5 minutes once you get proper lv50 battles so it's no big deal.

I can't bring myself to do the Stupid rear end in a top hat Run so that branch is just gonna stay withered for me.

dude789 posted:

I just did the mental mock battle that unlocks after the golden ending. Overall it was pretty easy and I didn't end up losing anyone. It gets pretty spicy towards the end but just takes way to long to get there. Before the last 15 or so enemies the waves just can't handle the amount of crowd control and damage mitigation a well constructed team can dish out and at that point everyone is so stacked with buffs you can just push through. Giovanna may have actually been the MVP of the fight but that battlefield is tailor made for her and Corentin was dumping ice everywhere so she could use Gelid Barrage when she didn't have a good grass tile to use for Ivy Beam.

Nice, I couldn't finish that one. I got pretty far into it but got stopped at the point where they just start throwing piles of minibosses at you. It was less of a loss and more of a "gently caress this" I guess.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Sep 7, 2022

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Poque posted:

Expecting some really mean achievements there hahaha

Utility route achivement: you idiot, you absolute dumbass

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

That recruit is the last Utility recruit, and that battle is on the Morality route, so you will almost certainly not have them for that particular fight outside of new game+.

Especially if you've been going wife path the whole time, because Frederica will never default to the yellow option.

Most conviction points come from NPC questions so you can probably game enough from there, it'd be a huge hassle though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

JuniperCake posted:

In two playthroughs you can get 28 characters though which is plenty enough. And people have accidentally triggered and completed golden route on their first playthrough while playing blind.

The fights in question aren't that bad. The hardest one probably being Roland's but if you take Jens/Rudolph and a few others you can really lock that map up and make it pretty easy even with less characters. Lionel existing is a free win on a map too if you have enough money to fund his overpowered weapon skill a couple of times.

Important to note that while it's possible doing the golden route on a first run is not a good idea, you have to cheese at least one of the missions with very few characters in order to have enough manpower for the other two. You also won't have enough promotions to go around while on a 2nd run you'll have enough for everyone except like 1-2 people.