Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
warch
This poll is closed.
warch 68 44.44%
warch 85 55.56%
Total: 153 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I feel like a lot of math courses would be made more interesting and effective at teaching the concepts if they actually demonstrated how they were utilized to some real effect

like a lot of concepts make more sense as tools than some fundamental concept in a vacuum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cardiovorax posted:

Oh, I agree that it's a very simple and illustrative demonstration of the concept and you can absolutely understand what it is just from looking at what you showed us in your post. I was simply talking about it in terms of that kind of application helping you to learn how to do so yourself, which is where reduction to the absolute basics honestly helps a lot.

I agree on the "isolating and teaching the basics" front for sure but it's also generally helpful to me to see how things fit in with some greater concept or use- and maybe that's generally how things are done now (someone posted about Common Core)

kind of like understanding how a carburetor, valvetrain, and magneto function vs why exactly they are where they are on a small engine

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I am going through every Advance Wars game for some reason and gosh darnit I wish there were more of these- surely the revival of Fire Emblem post-Awakening signals that a new release would be successful?

Wargroove... was alright but not as good as the worst AW game

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

homeless snail posted:

play daisenryaku

Looks like the PS2/Xbox one is the best bet

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Saint Freak posted:

Man, sure wish I would've seen the like 100+ pages of steam posts of people crashing/hardlocking in Persona Strikers before I bought it.

Live and learn I guess.

Is it just a problem on the PC version?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FirstAidKite posted:

Go ahead and guess

the design is either extremely ballsy and edgy or more likely nobody during the entire process went "uhhh hey it looks like a big mound of fuckin poo poo in there should we do something about that"

either way lol

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
weeelp I liked the Fights in Tight Spaces demo enough to get hooked into the Early Access for the game (don't know how exactly I feel about Early Access as a concept but I suppose if it's actually a small studio kinda using it like a running Kickstarter it's fine)

I regret nothing and will probably also buy it again if it releases on Switch like I did with Into the Breach

hey why isn't FTL on Switch WTF

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

I didn't know there was a Japan exclusive Sega CD Shadowrun (notably, it was the last Sega CD game to be released)

oh hell yeah Anime Shadowrun

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Looper posted:

rather than playing any of the mario games I've spent money on recently, I'm instead finishing mario party 64. it's super cute but the worlds are definitely too large for the amount of stuff to do. the minigame levels are rad though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWD88E6Arv0

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I'm thinking about a wrestler where their gimmick is that they're an evil manager of IT for the wrestling federation

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Argh I wish I liked musou games

Thinkin' about tolerating the gameplay to spend more time in P5 World

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Enjoying P5 Strikers on the Switch after being reassured that here weren't that many Musou elements in it by a few people in the thread here

Atlus you worthless assholes release P5 on the Switch

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

lol the final boss fight for the Legend of Dragoon is not a fight you want to lose (it takes over 1 hour to beat).

I love how you go from the weird primordial beginning of time to like the end of the world apocalypse throughout the fight; it's great

yes It Long though

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Can't tell if this is gonna be any good but I am excited for a competently-executed character-action-ey D&D game

what I would really appreciate is an SPRG that just imports all of the battle system crap from 4E and automates the process and lets me play around with the plethora of fightin' options that game had though

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOTnc4oSrDY

listen to the Legend of Zelda-sounding intro music on this Bass Fishin' SNES game

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ErrEff posted:

Amazon dearly wants to have its own popular multiplayer game so they can prominently feature and promote it at all times on Twitch.

Absolute

Vertical

Integration

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I love the general internationalism of fighting games

Polish karate fighter, hell yeah

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Convex posted:

Hitmin.

Your spaceship crashlands on the distant, uncharted World of Assassination and you are helped to get repair parts by an army of up to 47 tiny, adorable hitmin. There are many different types of these creatures, ranging from 'policemin' and 'businessmin' to exotic belly dancing 'fitmin'. All are voiced by David Bateson with a pitch shifter.

sneaking up behind a bulborb with a piano wire while also wearing a crude bulborb costume

no witnesses

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Walla posted:

Honestly it's like being on the Great Plateau again, except you keep your hearts, stamina, Sheikah abilities and glider. Plus the island gives you attack, defense and health boosting ingredients so you can brute force some of it.

Ah I loved this too- feels like further into the game you're always juuuust a little too stacked with destructive hi-end gear to the point where you're trying to figure out which Legendary Sword of Radiant Might to toss away for the thing that's +1

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I liked the arc of playing as Old Snake in MGS4 that ends with an old man fistfight on top of a giant submarine

Also playing through the decrepit Shadow Moses for the first time is magical

MGS5 is the best MGS game in technical gameplay terms but I was frustrated by how much meat was left on the bone by it's truncated development

I need just like a big level pack that uses MGS5 mechanics and that beautiful and elegant Fox Engine

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mkvltra posted:

This is hilarious- which one? The Ray you fight in the opening or the Spider Crab at the end?

Yeah it's the giant crab with two big sword arms at the end

I think they also say it's sort of a big pointless dumb weapon and more about intimidating the populace of wherever they deploy the thing lol

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jay Rust posted:

It's like westerns based off of samurai films based off of westerns

the coolness of someone drawing something really fast and then icing a fool is unimpeachable

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
At the very least on the boss front MGS5 has the Quiet fight which is The End 2.0

I kinda hate all the other boss fights in 5

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cardiovorax posted:

A visible charge-up sequence makes any beam weapon better. Ominous hum obligatory.

that like increasing frequency capacitor charge noise

Macaluso posted:

I didn't like Control's combat much at all so I would've loved it if the game was just more exploring and finding documents about the various things that are being kept there. That part was easily the highlight for me. The game really nailed the setting they were going for, I just found the combat annoying and tedious and every fight felt like it took an eternity. Despite that the maze section was still awesome (the two "boss fights" afterwards made me want to die though).

I kind of felt the same way about Alan Wake though so. I think Remedy just knocks it out of the park when it comes to tone and setting.

God imagine Control without the loving interminable combat sections. Or they're replaced with some kinda fast n' deadly psychokinetic melee combat

Hey if you're playing Control turn the difficulty down to zero to make the combat sections as short as possible

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Mar 25, 2021

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
cautiously depressing the A or X button or the spacebar

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Thinkin' about the dynamic boss music in Revengeance and how much that owned

DMC5 also had dynamic fight music that got more hype as your style ranking changed and blasted out the chorus of the song one you got to S-rank or above

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

hatty posted:

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1376586739234537477

I don’t get it. How much can it possibly cost to keep the servers up?

Crap, guess I better make sure I have everything I could ever want from the PS3 store

Ahhhh dammit the assholes already pulled all of the PS3 content off of their browser storefront so I have to look for it through the PS3

At the very least they're leaving a lot of classic PS1 and PS2 titles to die and they just... never ported them to the PS4?

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 29, 2021

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

redreader posted:

If I were to get into Enter the Gungeon or BoI, which one is better? I started EtG this weekend and it is reminding me a LOT of BoI, which I played during a work trip on the plane and started getting into, then just didn't pick it up after that. What other games are similar to those? I enjoyed Helldivers and Cryptark a lot, but was never able to defeat the cryptark.

Nuclear Throne

But yeah EtG felt like a lot tighter package than BoI to me. Also the hapless anthropomorphic bullets are great and I liked the relentless, stupid "everything is a gun/bullet, everything" theming

Definitely more there with BoI but if it were up to me I would play it after Nuclear Throne and EtG

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

lol Cyberpunk 2077 update 1.2 is finally out.

quote:

Fixed an issue where the urinary stream could still be visible after NPC stopped peeing and moved away from the spot.

finally

But seriously they're never going to update it into the game they advertised- probably will play this eventually when they uhhhh finish the game though

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 29, 2021

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Borderlands 3 is definitely more of the same and I'm not gonna recommend it or anything but my dumb monke brain certainly does still appreciate blowing things up and number going up

the humor is just as obnoxious as I remember but I still kinda dig the "Wasteland Western Space Postapocalypse" aesthetic it's got going on

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
GoT had some neat ideas (I love the Standoff mechanic) and was a very pretty game but I barely finished it because of the allergic reaction I've been having to AAA open world games for the last few years here

christ can there be a new default type of game for these big projects soon please

Exception for games where the traversal of the open world is actually The Gameplay like Death Stranding or something

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/1376923618391818250?s=20

Ah yes, what we need is to dramatically increase our workload.

uhhhhh are you guys hiring like double the manpower for this or what

it's conceivable CP2077 would have been good if they had plowed 80% of the bloated marketing budget into paying actual workers (think marketing was almost double the CP2077 dev costs?)

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Khanstant posted:

Is Shenmue worth playing for first time if you liked Yakuza Kiwami or is it just older and worse for less payoff?

Yeah different type of game for sure

I'd say only play it if you're interested in an archeology dig through gaming history; it will likely try your patience

But man oh man that English VA

Maybe just watch an LP of it

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

Back in the day, grocery stores use to have a section for renting video games, and movies. I remember seeing this game. I haven't thought about it since.

Even as a child I was not fooled into renting this game

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I didn't enjoy the street-sneakin' level as I was was playing it but I remember it fondly because I sorta like the film noir-ey idea of it

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Khanstant posted:

MGS4 is the only one I haven't played and unless they release it on a computer I'm afraid I'll never try it. all i really know about it is it ends with snake and liquid ocelot doing an old man fight

MGS4 is the only MG game to be just... trapped on a single console, yeah

it's kinda weird

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

It’s on PSNow at least but yeah, I believe MGS4 is literally the only game in the series (aside from maybe Snake’s Revenge, Ghost Babel, and the Acid titles) to never get ported to another platform. Not sure why

Oh gently caress I never played Ac!d

down for a weird deck-draw SRPG Metal Gear game

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

wuggles posted:

Putting the video in a spoiler tag should do the trick

like we all don't know what they're talking about

Snake...

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The stage is set for the Age of Waluigi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Wamdoodle posted:

There's a reference to him in MGS V involving a port-a-john

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsX2gQfyAp8