Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
warch
This poll is closed.
warch 68 44.44%
warch 85 55.56%
Total: 153 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I'm looking forward toDisco Elysium on the Switch. I hope it lives up to the hype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Walla posted:

I'm looking forward toDisco Elysium on the Switch. I hope it lives up to the hype.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Superhero games:

Battletoads and Double Dragon
Every Double Dragon game
Every Ninja Turtle game

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I can't imagine not liking '78 Superman but I also haven't seen it in over 20 years despite it being a staple of my childhood.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Most AAA devs are poo poo anyway.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Captain Walker posted:

Is this the place to ask random questions about older games like Octopath Traveler that don't have an active thread anymore? Trying to kit myself out for the endgame and I thought I was ready, but the side quest boss in the Forest of Purgation is giving me serious grief, and my whole party is in the low 70s while the level recommendation for the area is 58.

Have you tried the Octopath thread? It's still reasonably active though discussion recently drifted to Triangle Strategy, but I'm sure you could get an answer there.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

5. One
4. Two
3. Five
2. Four
1. Three

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Rinkles posted:

answering questions about intimate details of my life someone's just clinically reading off a list in a depression screening felt like a punch to the gut

Ouch. Hope it at least leads to something that helps you.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Only perverts and teenagers choose the pool.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Now I want to grab a copy of Eternal Champion for my PSP. It was a Sega exclusive as far as I know and it was my favorite fighting game of the time.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Most of the Apple Arcade games have made it to the Switch 3 other places. Hoping Fantasian does as well.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I think the last computer game I bought was Quest for Glory IV. Those games ruled.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, that's one of the biggest differences between QfG and standard adventure games. All those RPG mechanics actually matter to how you resolve certain adventure game elements.

Yeah this. It's not particularly deep by today's standards, but nearly each class had content that was unique to them so there were certain things only a wizard or thief or paladin could see and do. Also your character carried over between games. Hell, you could only be a paladin by having a good aligned character from a previous game.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Also it was all one story. Your character in IV was the same as the guy from the first game and it was assumed you had played them all.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Arzaac posted:

I dont think this is canon but I like to imagine that a whole lot more people than Tidus and Jecht have come out of dream zanarkand and all have similar stories about encountering Sin which leads people to assume Sin is causing their amnesia

I always assumed that Sin always had a spirit of Zanarkand as it's heart since it's essentially the manifestation of Zanarkand's rage against Bevelle. That would explain how and why Jecht came to Spira in the first place.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

homeless snail posted:

qfg3 is one of the most powerfully aesthetic adventure games of the era, also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85NktoZqMO4

right up there with rise of the dragon and under a killing moon

It does need to be mentioned that there are some problematic elements, or at least stereotypes that could be seen as somewhat racist. Like the first game is in Not Bavaria and you know this by the lederhosen and suspenders, the second is Not Arabia complete with genies and flying carpets, and ect.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Cardiovorax posted:

As someone who lives in the land of bratwurst and lederhosen, I found it more amusingly quaint than offensive. It's an intentional pastiche of classic fantasy settings, making fun of the stereotypes is part of the package.

It doesn't bother me but it might bother some. But I agree, even in the dark ages of the 90's I always felt it was deliberately tongue in cheek especially in 1 and 4. But then I was a teenager in the 90's.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

One great thing about Sierra games is they introduced me to mancala and 9 men's morris which I still play with my wife to this day.

Now I want to load up ScummVM and play one of these.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

homeless snail posted:

the african stuff in 3 always seemed the most respectful of all of them at least, they do a lot of work to make african fantasy extremely cool, even if sometimes that manifests as a white guy challenging tribesmen to games of mancala

Cardiovorax posted:

QfG3 did a pretty good job of portraying tribal traditions as sophisticated and deserving of respect in their own right.

Oh definitely. I love that they used actual Swahili instead of just making some poo poo up.

xedo posted:

Those of you that like quest for glory, be aware that the Coles, the husband and wife team that designed the quest for glory games, have released their own spiritual sequel, Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption. Pc and now switch.

While I know it exists I have no idea how good it is. I kickstarter it before I had a kid and when it was released said 'sweet I'll play that sometime but not soon'.

On Switch? I may have to purchase this if it's available digitally.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Congrats bovis! Welcome to married life. Enjoy the honeymoon!

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Great, thanks! It's on the list.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Extreme Hard Mode: Identifying 2000s-2010s Shooter Protagonists, portraits only

Edit:

Max Payne isn't on there and that's a drat crime.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Harrow posted:

if the thread title wasn't already perfect I'd be changing it to this

Do it. I dare you.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Warch

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Kerrzhe posted:

agent 47 is so hilariously grumpy i never would have guessed that was him lmao

Same. He looks different in Hitman 2

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Weed gives me no poo poo migraines which takes all the fun out of it. I also haven't touched the poo poo in over a decade.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

The gently caress did I just watch?

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

So a while back I was bitching about Infinite Space not putting in a proper tutorial on things like combat and assigning crew and modules and other basic things needed to play the game.

That's because Sega released 3 YouTube videos on the subject, but of course only 2 are still hosted on Sega Europe's channel:

https://youtu.be/i-HsbrYGkpE
https://youtu.be/1U76c0x6bH8
https://youtu.be/oQnawrCWYOc

loving hell. Also, read a loving guide. Seriously.

Game is still fun, just loving obtuse as hell.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Also, thanks to charliefoxtrot for posting the P5 curry. I made my own based off of it but heavily modified for the wife and kid and it was drat good. Had mine with rice, hummus and an egg while the wife and kid had theirs with rice noodles in a sauce.

Good stuff.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Simone Magus posted:

I just found out in Somnium Files that

Date is #89 and now I'm all :catstare: about the entire relationship he has with Iris

Man, this game lol

Wait.

:)

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I can't remember the last day I wasn't even slightly depressed. It sucks.

Rinkles, you're not alone and add me to the list of people who are willing to listen though I'm just an old man going through my own poo poo.

And Simone Magus, I like you and I'm sorry you felt unwelcome at first. I'm glad you stuck around.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Cardiovorax posted:

You only realized that now?

Look, sometimes a scale is just a scale.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Arzaac posted:

My first thought is Guardian Heroes, it's a Treasure beat em up/rpg. Every character is a different class and they've all got unique movesets with fighting game inputs and command lists.

I was interested in this until I realized it only ever came out on the Saturn and 360. Could've been fun.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Best beat em ups were the SNES Double Dragon games. Including Battletoads and Double Dragon. Worst was loving Altered Beast on the Genesis.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Harrow posted:

Meanwhile, while Square was worrying about Final Fantasy games being too hard for stupid Americans on the SNES, an Enix-published game around the same time called The 7th Saga was made harder for the North American release, to the point that it's one of the most notoriously difficult (to the point of being unfair) RPGs of the era.

I'd love to play a version with the original balance because that game has some really cool and unique ideas, but the difficulty is wildly overtuned in the North American version.

I owned that game. I remember my boyfriend got pretty far in it but I can't remember if he beat it.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

The 7th Guest posted:

rudy guiliani is the reason dennis miller went insane

I used to like Dennis.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Are you out there?

I've been spending too much brain power focusing on the toxic media of my youth, especially things like Looney Toons and Bill Cosby. It's not fun.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

JollyBoyJohn posted:

If you havn't played Doom in the past decade you have hosed up somewhere

I haven't played Doom since playing it over dial up with my Brother in Law in Windows 3.11, so '97 or so. But I don't like fps shooters.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Everyone gets at least 8 hours a night

Right....?

:ohdear:

On a good night I get 6 hours but with 2 herniated discs and a couple of pinched nerves I haven't slept well in 15 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

raditts posted:

I recall it being canned to being "too graphically similar" to FF2/4, which was a reason I remember reading a lot in game magazines back in the '90s.

There WAS a localization though, which they used for the PS1 port. It was terrible, like somehow even worse than FF2's translation.

Sadly the best versions of 5 and 6 are stuck on the GBA, and the best version of 4 is either on the PSP or DS depending on preference. Thankfully I have a hacked 3DS and PSP so I can play all of them.