Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

peanut- posted:

All that has been dismantled, in 15 years we're going to start seeing the first large wave of people hitting retirement age with only what they've accumulated in DC pension schemes and that is only going to accelerate.

We're also about to hit the generation where pensionable age rises above the period when most age-related health problems begin. This year I've had one neighbour die of dementia, another be diagnosed with terminal cancer, and another start to suffer vision problems due to diabetes. All three had retired by the time of their diagnosis, and all three are still younger than my predicted retirement age. We're going to start seeing people realise they'll either not live to see retirement, or they'll spend it hooked up to a drip desperately trying to convince the DWP that they're looking for work otherwise their benefits will be cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

The poppy plate is just :discourse:

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Back in January when it snowed, a lot of the elderly cancelled their appointments at the vaccination centre next door to my workplace. Everyone who was in the office that day got vaccinated rather than let them go to waste, and they'll all get jab #2 before Easter. They're the only people I know of who have been vaccinated ahead of schedule.

I'm not getting my hopes up that I'll get my first vaccine before July, regardless of what the government promises. The supply issues will only continue so they'll have to keep stop-starting through summer.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Sad Panda posted:

I was surprised myself. It was shared by a teacher in the school I work at. Not sure if it's meant to be used but a coworker got it tonight. Ethically I'm certainly not high risk, but cancelled appointments with <24 hour notice aren't going to all get filled so it seems reasonable to me. Will see why they say when I go tomorrow.

Ethically it's fine, everyone who has the jab is a break in the chain of transmission. When the country reopens, it'll be the under-50s doing most of the mixing, so don't underestimate how important pockets of younger vaccinated people will be to reduce mutations and protect the minority of vulnerable that the vaccine didn't work in.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

mrpwase posted:

Seriously I see people eating curry and rice for lunch at work and I'm sitting there all sad with my riceless curry and an NHS health page telling me not to reheat rice

It's more risky than other foods, and it's the sort of thing where if you've got underlying health problems or are very young/old, it's possibly not worth the risk. I speak as someone who has had rice posioning and I was streaming from both ends for about 6 hours and at least another two lying in an exhausted, dessicated heap on a nest of towels on the bathroom floor.

However, that was entirely my fault for not cooling the rice quickly enough. Those packets of microwave rice that can be eaten hot or cold are already cooked, and egg fried rice is made by boiling rice, rapidly cooling it, and then frying it with the egg (and spring onion/peas if you're fancy). If you cook extra for lunch the next day, run it under a cold tap and put it in the fridge.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Beefeater1980 posted:

In other news, I just found out that the couple living two doors down from my parents apparently died some time ago and nobody noticed until their immediate neighbours saw swarms of flies and called the police.

Mum is low-key freaking out as she lives with my stepdad, who has Alzheimer’s, and can’t be relied upon to notify anyone if she were to pass away.

Another reason to like multi-generational households, if a rather grim one.

That's sad, I hope neither suffered after the other died, unable to get help :( This also happened locally to me, except people had noticed the old lady wasn't out and about, but assumed she was self-isolating or shielding. It happens more often than people are comfortable with even in pre-pandemic times.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Somebody once raved at me that Aperol Spritz was the best cocktail and I tried one with such high expectations, only to have them dashed, dashed like soda in a whiskey.

I'm going to have to get some vanilla vodka and try making some of the ones mentioned. I hold you all reposnsible for my impending disappointment/hangover.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Gonzo McFee posted:

Not everywhere is Glasgow.

Quite. A derelict property close to where I used to live mysteriously flooded after the bath was left running with the plug in. The ceiling caved in, plaster fell off the walls and the floors were ruined. The developer was so upset that his planning application had been rejected that he had forgotten to have the water supply turned off.

He blamed 'squatters'.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
A very middle-class lady from a two-car family once rolled her eyes and muttered that she didn't think not being able to drink during an evening out was that much of an imposition during a conversation about the lack of public transport in rural areas. Probably the young, the poor, the disabled, and the very elderly who had lived in her village had all died of starvation because they get to 'local' shop 15 miles away and the postcode was outside the supermarket delivery area.

One thing that homeworking might change is the lack of local facilities. Even a small proportion of companies retaining staff on a hybrid WFH/Office might help save the high street from collapse as they all collectively get bored mid-afternoon and nip to the shops.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

NotJustANumber99 posted:

just lol if new phone purchases arent required cos you got drunk and fell of a whatever and smashed the last one

My current phone has a cracked screen from when I dropped it as I was putting it into its protective case. That was the first time I'd ever damaged a mobile screen, normally me and gravity team up to shatter laptop screens.

Completely unrelated to that, two separate comments at work about staff vaccines and public-facing services, and now I'm getting wound up over hypothetical arguments.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Lady Demelza posted:

My current phone has a cracked screen from when I dropped it as I was putting it into its protective case. That was the first time I'd ever damaged a mobile screen, normally me and gravity team up to shatter laptop screens.

Completely unrelated to that, there were two separate comments at work about staff vaccines and public-facing services, and now I'm getting wound up over hypothetical arguments.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
If I wanted to report a tweet for fake news or disinformation, which option should I use? None of them seem to fit, as far as I can see.

Yes I know it's an exercise in futility but it's my time I'm wasting.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Nottingham is quite a fash place. Farage went there on his ridiculous Brexit march. It's changed a lot since the days of Robin Hood.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I was in Derby once when either an EDL or Britain First march materialised, whichever one it was it was led by Jayda Fransen and a loudhailer. The market stallholders were furious, because the police hadn't warned them and suddenly there were racists everywhere.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Is there an updated version of the UK's vaccination timetable? The government's schedule still claims all adults will be offered their first jab by the 31st July, but September feels more realistic (unless they prioritise the third, booster vaccination over first doses).

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Vaccine production (should) ramp up over time, and most of that is domestic. The gov timetable probably assumes increases in monthly vaccine supply, which itself isn't unreasonable. We are pumping a bunch of money into that. And the idea of third booster shots is just a idle though of "hey we may have to do this" at the moment, not a concrete plan or a certainty. Given that 30 million of the UKs 50 million adults have been jabbed in 10 weeks, saying the other 20 million will get jabbed in 18 weeks time along with third shots isn't hopeless optimism.

It's not hopeless optimism, but the Government is committed to the reopening plan, and it feels like no slow-down in the vaccine schedule can be admitted because nothing is allowed to change the big reopening in June.

Whilst anedotes are not data, in my experience:

goddamnedtwisto posted:

On the other hand... the vaccination centre I've been volunteering at isn't just slowing down for April, it's closing down altogether until at least May, as are almost all of the standalone centres in north and east London, a region that's already behind the national pace. That doesn't sound like the planners think that we'll just be dropping back down to 250k/day to me.

...this is the reality. Colleagues have had their second doses postponed by a week, probably because the centre they are booked at had to close for a week because it ran out of vaccines. I've also had all my April shifts volunteering at a vaccination centre cancelled due to the centre scaling back, and a new centre that was due to open has had its start date delayed.

If there's any uncertainty about the production ramping up, then the NHS has no choice but to limit the number of first dose appointments, because the priority has to be to ensure there's enough to do the second jabs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I had never heard of 'nip' as a racial slur before reading this post so at least someone learned something from the mess of this thread? :shrug:

And I completely understand the feeling that a life must have Meaning to have Worth. It baffles me that some people can be content with their perfectly normal lives whereas I have a need to justify my own existence (a demand that I wouldn't make from others). Except it never lasts long, because as soon as whatever I do becomes part of my normal routine, the feelings creep back and something else has to be added. For me it's related to isolation, but recognising that isn't exactly helpful - deep and meaningful connections to other people generally require the other person to reciprocate.