Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Failed Imagineer posted:

You can just say petite bourgeoisie

That implies some sort of small business owner or someone who owns 3 homes and lets them out, and while the well off "middle class" are encouraged to do that, that's not how they get to that position, which I think is Borrovan's point.

My personal thesis is that there is no such thing as a middle class. You're either a worker (some really well paid), or you can afford to retire and live off your money. Once you cross that line, and some people like professional athletes can cross it after only a few years of work, your interests change substantially. This also means that if you've worked for 60 years and are now retired, your material interests are the same as those of capitalists', but 60 years of life experiences as a worker are hard to break.

Miftan fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Mar 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Red Oktober posted:

Because you can't just 'transfer' the money, especially not at that scale. You need something to have invoiced for - this can be fees, reimbursements, kit, tests etc sure, but it can't just be "here is some money".

Like, there is no doubt there's massive grift and buddy-contracts going on, but I just can't imagine what the billing lines could actually say to reach these numbers.

It's whatever they want. Ever seen a US hospital bill? '£5k to hold the baby post-birth' etc. etc. Nobody outside the govt/civil service can see it, so nobody can go 'hold on this is bullshit' without losing their job

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Honestly Glenn is just the Vitamin P of journalism.

e: gently caress you this is a terrible snipe you get nothing

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

MikeCrotch posted:

No

I say folks but it's an adopted thing

Saying y'all or all y'all sounds like you are doing a bit so I don't do that

I feel this way about any UK words. If the word has a british accent attached in a movie, I feel awkward saying it. I do enjoy ya'll though despite not sounding Texan either so :shrug:

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Borrovan posted:

An academic engineer I know put in a module proposal on the importance of diversity in engineering. It had some really interesting stuff in it, not just on representation &c but on specific problems resulting from (e.g.) nobody noticing that people other than cishet white men exist.

It was not accepted. The higher-ups in the school of engineering didn't think it was important.

And then he proposed it again citing their rejection as the number 1 reason why it's needed and it was accepted, I assume? :v:

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

kyojin posted:

Is it relevant that he was off duty because if he were on duty the rape and murder would be legally allowable under the new bill? Or is that not yet passed?

I assume it's more of a 'if a cop is wearing the uniform they won't rape and kill you, pinky promise' type deal. 'what they do on their own time is their own business and doesn't reflect on the police force' etc. etc.

Rumda posted:

It's really bizarre how leftists who normally decry racism and nationalism will suddenly get all blood and soil to dunk on the monarchy

Yeah, especially when you can junk dunk them in their own golden toilet.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

You eat hard tacos over a bowl of rice which you then eat along with all the tacos bits that fell in it. (for maximum flavour cook the rice with a cube of veg stock and add a tiny bit of lime juice)

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I think they're the same style but orientated differently. (This post is not to be taken as an endorsement of Starmer's NuLabour.)

Nah, one is bendy and one is straight. Some PRson probably thought 'oh poo poo we need to get this table to look busy someone get me an extra lamp'

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

The bit I bolded here is specifically NOT what I suggested. "Going around" would obviously imply leaving a lot of distance (ideally with other people in between), not running at someone from behind (??) . Then "running towards her" is also not something I suggested...

Actually, gently caress your whole post. Implying that you can't be thoughtful and modify your behaviour to not stress or freak people out is just privileged stubborn ignorance.

Ditto this whole framing of "logic vs emotion" - women aren't afraid of assault because they view the world through a haze of womanly emotions, its actually perfectly logical to be wary of being attacked by someone twice your size given that it happens constantly and literally every woman has personal experience of being intimidated or otherwise victimized (at the very least).

Christ your whole post is one step away from "Women eh, you just can't win". Please desist

Just adding on to this: even if you didn't intend it in that way, Question IRL, this is how it came across. I think every single man has made weird, fumbling, 'that's not how I inteded it, honest' remarks about something, but it's a lot more common with this subject in my experience because it's so hard for us to wrap our head around women's experiences. My first instinct if someone called me out like Failed Imagineer would be 'that's not how I intended it, honest!', but it's a poo poo defense and is, at the end of the day, a defense. This isn't just to Question IRL but to everyone: Just take the L and say 'poo poo sorry I'll try and do better'

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Lungboy posted:

I've barely stopped laughing at the Elizabeth class carrier and the F35s from your last pod, hopefully this one is as funny.

Fascist gets thrown around a lot these days, but the government banning all protests that cause disruption to business feels like an actual precursor to fascism.

This is just making the legal excuse easier. Police can and have been doing this for ages. "oops you assaulted a cop we all saw it, break it up!"

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Consider infesting your residence with wasps to fight the rats.

Don't do this unless you have space for mongeese!!

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I think a possible hole in the longevity of that state is the lovely graph that shows that millenials own absolutely jack poo poo and have no money, so they are very unlikely to be "doing well"

It may be a state of mind but it is a state of mind that is heavily created by material conditions, conditions which are rapidly vanishing for everyone outside the increasingly retracting drawbridge.

There's still gonna be plenty of people who will be very comfortable once their parents die and leave them a house or 3. Plenty for whom that's not gonna happen, but as we can clearly see, not everyone has to be comfortable, just about, oh let's call it 40% of the voting population?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

stev posted:

I'd like to think that inheriting a home won't suddenly turn every young person and leftie into a FYGM type. Maybe I'm just being optimistic and naïve but I have to cling to the belief that my generation and those after will be better.

Not to mention the fact that inheritance is going to get more and more diluted over the next few generations as living costs rise and people living longer need to pay out the nose for more care with dwindling state support.

I broadly agree, but to your first point: Most people aren't lefties - they're politically unengaged, and it's very easy to turn someone like that into a FYGM type, imo.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Angepain posted:

We should give people a free chocolate orange after voting, to ensure only the correct people are encouraged to vote.

I'm already ineligible to vote, so this seems a bit much.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

To my British comrades - I'm giving you each permission to use one anti-Irish slur today. You've been so good all year

Gerry Adams for Head of State.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

stev posted:

I can't think of any other retailer or restaurant that simultaneously overcharges and devalues its own products to such a huge extent as Dominos and Pizza Hut.

I assume they must make a lot off people willing to pay full price, but it must mostly be dickheads with too much cash who happily spend £500 on 30 pizzas for a party or to show off.

They're still making stupid bank on the offers and discounts, which should tip you off to how overpriced a non-offer pizza is. It's genuinely sub-prime mortgage levels of insanity except it's not tied into the entire economy (yet?)

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Antigravitas posted:

Gigantic compiled lists of user names, mails, passwords slosh around the Internet. You can buy them for a tenner. Whenever another service gets its account database siphoned off the lists grow. If that service decided to store passwords in plain text, the price goes up a few cents.

People buy those lists and just stuff them into random online services.

Yup, someone got into my Spotify this way (why? I don't even have premium just make your own account it's free??)

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Angepain posted:

We've consulted our best soothsayers and 2024 is going to be interesting

I can't tell if this means the Irish Reunification is going to go very well or very badly.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

If we're all such idiots, consider just not coming back.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

lmao nice meltdown + probation combo

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Nonsense posted:

I hope Prince Philip The Good recovers quickly and returns to the affairs of state.

Finally, Vitamin P's secret identity is revealed.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Beefeater1980 posted:

It seems virtually certain that I am coming back to the UK in May. I will be doing this to help a Chinese company get started in UK, which despite Brexit remains the biggest European market for what we do.

What’s the sentiment these days toward China? In my mind there’s a kind of slider on how the general population sees other countries, which goes from (foreign but it’s not their fault -> foreign and therefore suspect -> basically The Enemy); where is China on that in TYOOL 2021?

Covid and the govt using them as a boogeyman for a few years now hasn't helped, but it's more of the racist 'industrious and communist but also very greedy' vibe as opposed to whatever the gently caress people think about Africa/Middle East, if that makes sense? I think other than hardcore racists who would've been a problem anyway it's not TOO bad.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

Did ZG not used to be a good poster, iirc?

Who gives a poo poo about his previous or current posting, tbh.

When he posts some substantive reasons to like keith "wet eggs" strummer, it'd be worth giving him the time of the day. Coming in here to call everyone a different shade of commie than you like to piss you off is just going in his spank bank. If he had anything decent to contribute to the thread (like why smithers is good) he would have already done so.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

publicly owned by bureaucracy clearly I need to go full Spiked Online about this

See if the Free Speech Union will help you?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Camrath posted:

people were already cutting the chunks into smaller pieces

Cowards.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Noxville posted:

I thought Starmer was going to be poo poo but not this poo poo. Still very possible that Nandy would have been worse.

Nandy does have principles, it's just a shame they're all 'british jobs for british people' with a side of mild social democracy

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Communist Thoughts posted:

It's VERY much playing with fire but the UK consistently plays with fire cause a fire could never happen here.

-Probably some baker, London, 1665.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Rarity posted:

Who would have me on ignore, I'm a beloved posting institution :kiddo:

On a scale of 1 - 10 how impactful of a poster would you say you are? (glad to see you around again!)