Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
It’s funny that Sarkozy’s gonna do porridge for something that would be considered the normal functioning of the peerage system in the UK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Okay I’ll risk asking, that maths is right isn’t it?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Is the new vaccination rate due to fall off a cliff at the end of March as they start hitting second jab time? Or has supply increased enough to compensate for that?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I did the census yesterday and there was a bunch of questions about where you primarily work, with them making it very clear that you should answer based on your current setup (ie. covid-driven WFH) rather than where you work in normal times.

What use is that data? You'd think for a decennial census it's gonna give a very distorted and useless picture.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
They sent a letter to my house with a unique code to enter on the website. It then asks for your name and the names of anyone else who lives at your address.

I answered all the questions honestly and seriously because I am very boring.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I have some sympathy for Labour in that even if Sunak is trying to raise taxes, he’s not doing it to drive public spending and investment.

Rishi clearly wants to do fiscal responsibility, austerity 2 which is a catastrophically bad, discredited idea.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/HKesvani/status/1367090237411897344?s=20

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
He just announced that the corporation tax rises are limited to large companies only so Labour are gonna look like even bigger twats if they argue against it.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Nah asking about Yemen is good.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Is Keith responding to the budget personally normal? Or does it imply Dodds is toast?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
The country has absorbed this into its soul, it's a message that's constantly reinforced.

https://twitter.com/BBCSimonJack/status/1367096773609684993?s=20

The literal IMF says it's nonsense at this point, but nothing will ever shake the conviction of our political and media class that the nation's finances work like their credit card bill.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Yeah most politicians do not know much about finance or economics. The credit card analogy is easy and comfortable and superficially makes sense so they just stick with that model of how things must work in their heads.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

As regressive as it is, that *is* one thing to be said for VAT. Amazon et. al. get away with paying basically zero tax in the UK by having to pay loans, dividends, licensing fees, and all sorts of other definitely real and not made up liabilities to a parent company tucked away somewhere with lower corporate tax rates. As corporate tax is based purely on profit, they can - completely legally (mostly) - claim to make no profit in the UK and so not have to pay tax. VAT and other sales taxes are basically impossible to avoid in this way (although there *are* ways of reducing the amount you have to pay but they come much, much closer to fraud).

Other than in a few exempt industries companies don't pay VAT. It doesn't cost Amazon anything, it costs Amazon's customers.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

jabby posted:

So am I right in thinking that budget was probably as good or better than anything Starmer's Labour would offer, making Labour completely pointless as a party? Because it seems like it.

Also seemed like Starmer had gently caress all to say in response too. When you're bleating that the governing party intends to raise taxes now and lower them before an election you truly have absolutely nothing of substance to say.

I thought Starmer's point was good when he said Sunak got through his whole speech without once mentioning the NHS or social care or really unemployment, but it didn't land. Probably because he said in in his godawful moaning voice.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Luckily capital gains tax rates weren't changed and you can still earn an additional £12k a year tax-free that way so the poor should build out their equity portfolios and adjust their overall income mix.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ONS/status/1367407911828414466?s=20

I don't really blame them but it will be interesting how this plays out over the next few months. The rate of people breaking the rules will be way, way higher for over 60s, over 50s etc and there's no way that unvaccinated younger people are gonna stay at home if vaccinated boomers are swanning about doing whatever they like.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

forkboy84 posted:

20 points ahead baby

Excuse me for sharing complete Twitter randoms but I just saw this in the wild

https://twitter.com/IWTheDarkPrince/status/1367535964885839875?s=20

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Can anyone explain what all the money going into Test & Trace is actually being spent on? I'm struggling to find anything that really goes into it.

Giving the Tories enough benefit of the doubt that they aren't just shovelling banknotes into a furnace, from the outside it's hard to conceptually understand what £37bn can possibly be spent on? That's a third of the operating budget of the entire NHS that employs 1.3m people and has wildly high capex requirements.

As many £1,000 a day consultants as you can find won't cost £37bn. Is it just a huge provision for mass testing over the next decade or something?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Doccykins posted:

you get to £4.1bn by doing 2,300 consultants at £7,000 a day 5 days a week for 52 weeks. I assume they all have to be expensing stays in 5* London hotels and ubering/ubereatsing daily as well but yeah spaffing £37bn on poo poo that doesn't work takes some real effort

There's some very dodgy maths in that article, no consultant doing anything is costing £7k a day.

I'm genuinely curious because you can piss away hundreds of millions on poo poo overpriced consultants, but you can't spend £37bn. You need an infrastructure on the scale of the NHS or MOD to spend that much. There must be some staggeringly massive capital expenditure or staff requirement, I just can't find anything that explains what it is.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

MikeCrotch posted:

What

Ferguson happened under Obama

Matt Taibbi is another journo who has gone completely off the deep end recently

I wanted to give Taibbi the benefit of the doubt for ages because he's done so much good stuff in the past but wow he's gone mad over the last year.

Maybe they're not dealing well with lockdown but something about the BLM protests really seemed to break Taibbi and Greenwald's brains.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Is there a font size so small it can only be read with an electron microscope?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
We are through the clapping looking glass. Politics in Britain is now a war of themed claps.

https://twitter.com/itvnews/status/1367845628324249604?s=20

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
At least Jess Phillips vs Boris PMQs will be funny I suppose

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
The clap wars are unstoppable. This thing has gone beyond our control and will consume us all.

https://twitter.com/mattwridley/status/1368502203607113734?s=20

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
From what I could tell from reading into it the vast majority of the T&T money is going on testing. Everyone is focused on Trace (which is poo poo) but the billions are being poured into providing millions of COVID tests with rapid results turnaround.

Also they haven't actually spent £22bn or £37bn or anything like it, a lot of that is allocations for future spending.

But I don't know why they don't make that clearer rather than pretending that the contact tracing part is really good value at £37bn actually.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
This video is wild. Labour lost in 2019 and the message the party apparently took from that is that the public do not want nurses to get a pay rise.

The host basically begging the Labour Party to be the Labour Party is quite something.

https://twitter.com/Sabrina_Huck/status/1369938773094580224?s=20

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

I always click on stuff like this and am amazed by the number of replies that think it's real. Like the internet, and particularly Twitter, must be a very scary and confusing place for people who believe everything they see on it so readily.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Darth Walrus posted:

https://twitter.com/peterayersbfg/status/1360507311249326082?s=21

I feel like 'bad day' is an extremely subjective phrase where Starmer is concerned.

Irish whiskey? Now Keith is spitting on the union.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Served to an American that is on holiday in London at a greasy spoon that is open ?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

I'm mostly surprised that keeping records of customer metadata like site visits wasn't something ISPs did already. Mobile phone networks have had to log and every bit of customer metadata like that and hand it over on demand for decades.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Is there a formal threshold for "serial"?

/edit: turns out there actually is, you have to hit 3.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
This is the angle that our national newspaper of record decided is the most important part of the vaccination story.

This country is sick in the head.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Regarde Aduck posted:

The times, at least I think it's the times, has a record for spinning everything around its financial worth. I mean our lovely society is always doing this but it usually hides it. Not the Times. Weren't they the ones that ran a story about how much will be saved now so many old people are dead?

I think they're just an honest representation of the neo-lib end goal.

I was referring more to the only thing that matters about the vaccine program being that it's faster than the EU's so we've BEATEN them and we've WON, but yes the GDP thing is a good kicker.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Failed Imagineer posted:

When we moved from old rental flat to house, with 10 years of accumulated crap from flat, those rental crates were the absolute business. Seriously that's my number one tip for people moving, flatpack cardboard boxes are a pain in the hoop to construct, awkward to carry, don't stack well, and don't protect fragile items. The plastic box rental lads turned up with no notice, they came with a free skateboard the boxes slotted into, they let us have a free month for little extra charge when move got delayed, and they took them back as soon as I called.

drat I had no idea this was a thing, good tip. Would have cost me a bunch less than the £120 of cardboard boxes I had to buy off Amazon that went straight into recycling.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
They might have been going for a "we're the biggest gang" thing but that doesn't play well against middle-class white women, even the Mail is screaming about this.

Who can fire Cressida Dick? Can Sadiq or would it have to be Priti Patel? I'll be surprised if she makes it past Wednesday.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I think a possible hole in the longevity of that state is the lovely graph that shows that millenials own absolutely jack poo poo and have no money, so they are very unlikely to be "doing well"

It may be a state of mind but it is a state of mind that is heavily created by material conditions, conditions which are rapidly vanishing for everyone outside the increasingly retracting drawbridge.

The really animating question of the wealth of millennials (and gen x tbf) is going to be pensions. Right now we're still in the period where most retired people have some income from defined benefit pensions accrued in their working life. Or if they do only have the state pension, they at least tend to have owned their home outright for a long time.

All that has been dismantled, in 15 years we're going to start seeing the first large wave of people hitting retirement age with only what they've accumulated in DC pension schemes and that is only going to accelerate.

There's going to be an enormous , social conflict-inducing wealth gap between people who worked in the public sector and are able to retire and people who worked in the private sector and never can.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

crazyvanman posted:

You say that, but I work with someone (much better paid and more senior than me) who genuinely said the other day that Starmer is biding his time and will one day be launching a sudden strike at Johnson for all the government's failings during the pandemic. He said that it will be great because Starmer is 'so precise' that it will be a joy to watch. Nice to see that the 'forensic' meme has embedded itself.

I didn't know that people actually thought this poo poo. The even better thing is that, because of where I work, I keep my cards very close to my chest, politically speaking. So much so that this same guy (who also said that he was relieved when Corbyn went because he'd damaged the Party so much) can't figure out if I'm to the right or to the left of him.

It's the same people who thought sensible Labour voters were all going to follow CUK-TIG, and that the Lib Dems were going to storm it in 2019. Their conviction that a silent centrist majority that will take us all back to 2012 is going to emerge at any moment is completely unshakeable.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Putting officers round the Churchill state was a masterstroke by the Met. This is pure culture war fodder now.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
A friend who is working on the vaccine roll-out told me we're really seeing the effects of all the stupid fearmongering around the AZ vaccine here now. Apparently they're getting a lot of cancellations and people turning up then refusing the vaccine when they find out it's the AZ one.

So loving stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I went to Blackpool on a slightly damp and windy day in April and there was literally 20 people in the entire Pleasure Beach park so they just switched on every ride as we walked up to it. One of the best days out I've ever had, went on easily 30 rollercoasters.