Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Billionaire hedge fund boss pays himself UK record of £343m

quote:

The billionaire hedge fund manager Sir Chris Hohn paid himself $479m last year after his Children’s Investment (TCI) fund, recorded a 66% jump in pre-tax profits to $695m.

It is believed to be the highest annual amount ever paid to one person in Britain and equates to £940,000 a day. It is 9,000 times the average UK salary

I know there are people that can pay themselves more, especially in the US but it is crazy to think that someone can pay themselves this much and there is still such poverty in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

namesake posted:

If you think about it a little harder you'll see that those two facts are related!

It's not as if you can't have people that have vast wealth and eliminate poverty. It's just the people with power (and usually by extension the wealth) don't want to. But people defend the ultra wealthy "oh they work so hard for their money". I know people that work 72 hours a week building and maintaining the UKs rail network or buulding buildings and are set to make around £30k. Are we to believe that the ultra rich work so much harder than these people? (I know I'm shouting into the void.)

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

*hammers See Less repeatedly*

One of the worst "for this recipe you will need..." openings I've ever seen.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Ah, bollocks.

https://twitter.com/ravenscimaven/status/1367045604166279169

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

Hasn't New Scientist been a bit poo poo for years?

I thought it had been variable, with some good/interesting stuff.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

CoolCab posted:

ayyyyyyy passed all of my first semester projects! got a 2.2 and two 2.1s with very positive feedback - i'm well pleased :3:

That's great work, well done.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/ashindestad/status/1367384722922496001?s=19

Accusing Jeffrey Epstien of being Jeffrey Epstien is antisemitic.

My mum is like that, loving loves the royal family. Will watch the same royal docco over and over and tell me how great they are. Hates that I would like to see the whole institution abolished.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Gonzo McFee posted:

I've never gotten it. Even with the massive PR campaign behind them I don't get why anyone would love this bland, charisma devoid family of rich wankers who's family tree resembles a double helix.

I think it's like a callback to days of empire when Britain meant something other than the "funny bit" at the end of news reports in other countries.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I hate fly tippers, they make me irrationally angry. Someone dumped a load of rubbish, including a bed, wardrobe, God knows how many needles and used nappies right in front of a rail access point.If there had been an emergency that pile would have stopped emergency services tending to people. Fly tippers should get 6 years in prison and 10 years on the sex offenders register.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

kingturnip posted:

Most fly-tipping is commercial stuff. My understanding of it goes like this:

Landlord A hires oval office B to clean out the flat of someone he's just had evicted. Landlord A is - of course - a cheap piece of poo poo an entrepreneur, so pays oval office B the absolute bare minimum for the job. oval office B could pay his cash-in-hand sub-minimum-wage labourer to spend a few hours to sort out what bits of trash can be recycled, what bits need to go in the bin, and what bits need to go the local dump and dispose of the trash properly... or he could pay his cash-in-hand sub-minimum-wage labourer for an hour to stick it all in the back of the van and drive out somewhere with no CCTV and dump it in a kid's playground.

I wonder if that was the case here, because we found several letters that looked official. Network Rail took them but I'm not sure what they can really do with them.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

The Question IRL posted:

Now this is the terrible defence of the Monarchy energy I've been smashing for!

https://twitter.com/PissJugTycoon/status/1368642918026797061?s=19

I'm going to start a campaign to make post birth abortions legal.

In other 'great' news: You don't have to be trans for the idea of using the woman's toilets to terrify people.

quote:

England and Team GB rugby international Heather Fisher has revealed she "dreads" using public toilets because she is frequently mistaken for a man.

The 2014 World Cup winner has alopecia and says she often has to explain to people "why she has muscles and no hair".

In an interview with BBC Sport, the 36-year-old said she has been confronted by police and has even "lifted her top up" to confirm her gender.

She has been locked in toilets, with police waiting outside, and once a hand reached into her cubicle, trying to push her out.

The 2016 Olympian, who has been named in Team GB's sevens training squad for this summer's Tokyo Games, has also been prodded with a broomstick.

She told BBC Sport: "If I'm at an airport I'll always have a team-mate come with me because I know there'll be police waiting or I'll get told 'this is a female toilet, get out!'

"I suppose I'm not your run-of-the-mill looking girl. That shouldn't even be a phrase but it is," she said. "I feel like it's affected the way people use me in the media or don't, because of the way I look.

Normal country.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

feedmegin posted:

My fleabag cost me something like £20 (no chip though and I had to have his nuts cut off myself). They got more from me upselling me on the luxury cat bed they swore wasn't like other cat beds and the kitten would actually use it.

Did he? Has he at any point in the last 9 years? Has he gently caress.

What were you doing with his nuts attached to you in the first place?!?!?!

4+6=10. Yes.

bessantj fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 9, 2021

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

feedmegin posted:

He and I are VERY CLOSE ok

This is some weird psudo-human centipede thing :stonklol:

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

GET THIS MAN ON OUR TV SCREENS

https://twitter.com/henrymance/status/1369375869655977990

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Marmaduke! posted:

Jesus, how much commission does Steve Coogan have to pay him?

I'm still laughing at the quick sand one.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

Isle of wheats

Isle of Wets, please dust them.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Well, good that it was a woman calling her that? I'm nearly there, nearly have those straws.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

jacksbrat posted:

It is personally a bit frustrating to see the "but what about men"? question pop up. I know it's not what you mean, you're more asking, if we care about murder then why are we discussing it in relation to one group but not another? But all of this discussion is happening in response to a particular set of events and it's ok for the country to dwell on related issues for a bit. It's also that there's a common factor in lots of killings of women (sex & relationships) so maybe there is a related set of steps that could be taken to significantly reduce homicidal violence against women. Whereas for homicides against men, there may be many different underlying factors - partner violence, yes, but also crime/gangs, general personal aggressiveness, financial disputes, and so on - that require different conversations and solutions.

I would like to think that something might change but I feel like these conversations have been had over and over for decades and gender- and sex- based violence still looms large. I have spoken to men this week who were not only surprised at the 97% of women have been sexually harassed statistic, but surprised that none of the women they spoke to were surprised. Obviously getting street harassed is nothing like physical assault but it potentially comes from the same well of sexism - and makes you feel targeted simply for being a woman.

I usually conduct my life with little concern about these things - for many reasons I feel my probability of experiencing sexual or other violence is low, and I feel totally comfortable taking my quiet walks at night and listening to a book. So much so that it took me a moment to twig why another woman ran away from me recently (I'm tiny, but I was in dark clothes and crossed to her side of the street). Reflecting on it this week, I realised an unfit man of average height could overpower me easily despite me being fairly strong for my size. As could an average sized woman I guess, but somehow my probabilistic thinking doesn't make me worry as much about that.

Are you sure about that? Sometimes I think men don't realise just how much stronger they are than women. Mind you I think the reverse is true as well, I've helped women in my family carry things and they've said "be careful it's very heavy" so I've braced myself to lift something heavy and nearly ended up throwing it into the air.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

jacksbrat posted:

I am very smol which is why I think other women could beat me up. But that's why I specified that even an unfit man would be strong enough to completely neutralise me. It's quite sad to lift heavy things in the home gym all the time and know it's not really going to save you.

Unless you're ant sized you're probably stronger than you think you are.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

This is true too. I was just saying this the other day when myself and another woman were struggling to lift a cupboard into a car.
Despite my size, I'm not that strong (actually one of my PE teachers wrote on my school report once 'she has outgrown her strength'.) I say to my brother if he's helping me with anything "Be careful it's really heavy" and he hoists it on his shoulder as if it were a bag of feathers.

It's good to know in the gynocracy of the future men will still have one use.

Venomous posted:

the BBC continues its slow decline towards the unenviable status of state broadcaster: https://twitter.com/nicktolhurst/status/1370256264509464577?s=19

Why the 'free speech' right will be up in arms about this surely!

bessantj fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Mar 12, 2021

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Failed Imagineer posted:

Ants: famously not strong for their size

(E: please ignore, I'm just being annoying with my morning coffee)

It's all false, steroid use among the ant community is rife and just not talked about.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

ThomasPaine posted:

Perhaps the truly enlightened move would have been to keep the purse

Take the purse home. Find her Facebook by using her ID in that purse. Message her several times saying you have her purse and will drop it off at her house. Take a picture of you outside her house and post it to her Facebook so she knows it's you. Leave purse outside door and ring doorbell. Fool proof!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

26 YEARS?!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Re: Julie Burchill admitting she is a racist, horrible piece of poo poo. She says sorry for calling Ash an islamist. But Ash is a muslim, so what does islamist mean in that context?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Jedit posted:

I thought it was you who posted the numbers about the GIC waiting list.

Wasn't that Necrothatcher?

OwlFancier posted:

I think technically it means political islam, but usually in the bad "is a theocratic rear end in a top hat" kind and usually with the implication that you like blowing people up.

I'm not sure if there is an equivalent christianity focused term, but I guess it's like if you hear someone described as a christian fundamentalist, you probably don't get a favorable concept of their politics out of it.

Darth Walrus posted:

Islamism is the political application of Islam. It's a morally neutral term (that is often used as a pejorative by racists), but Ash is pretty open about the fact that her religion isn't a major influence on her politics.

Oh of course, can't forget the terrorist angle. Thanks for the info.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Sorry to hear about our situation The Perfect Element. Hope you can find a way out of it.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

The Perfect Element posted:

It's just so mind boggling to me that what these guys have done is legal.

It's such a load of bullshit that they're allowed to do this mate. I'm surprised this hasn't been picked up before now and stopped.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Didn't Johnson once complain that the salary he was getting as PM wasn't enough and he couldn't earn more?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

bump_fn posted:

https://twitter.com/talkRADIO/status/1372844041113542657

when we did this poo poo in america after 9/11 it was dumb as poo poo glad to see it’s coming back here

Not quite as bad as not wearing a poppy when he should be, but starting to go that way.

Rumda posted:

Okay so the rundown of the incident in NIP the best I can remember.

Someone with access to the NIP twitter account posted an unhinged post basically saying that no racist movements had ever come from the north, this led to obviously a bunch people pointing out the contrary and some people advertising their specific fash group. This was then taken down and a new post stating the the northern independence party was against racists and facism in all its forms and apologised for giving a platform for people to talk about fascism in the north. Which almost everyone thought was fine except the leader who demanded it be taken down as it was displayed a new policy which hadn't been agreed and he disagreed with, in his experience no platforming doesn't work.
This was followed by the slack admins cutting short any protest, and when I mentioned in has only joined the party because I was reassured by the party secretary that the party was actively in favour of trans rights and actively opposed to TERFs in any state and it was concerning that the leadership would be willing to debate my existence when it came down to it I was suspended from the slack for what was supposed to be 24 hours but 36 hours later I had to ask to be re added.

So in the meantime the parties inclusion and diversity officer an non-binary woman of Jewish heritage tried to protest this action and was also suspended from the slack and from the party and had the slack admin and complaints committee head abusing her. Her husband the party secretary was also removed from all leadership channels and had his slack privileges revoke (though they kept his payment details on the hosting service the parties site used).
In after this given they had no reply to any attempted contact from the leadership, the ex I&D lead posted about it on twitter, and I came and posted about it here both of which got the same response of oh you're just making poo poo up because you are angry for some reason, though in her case the abuse continued.
Then that started to the general response to me when I posted about anything here, and then the exact same response when I finally got admitted back into the slack.
And even when the party approved a statement condemning fascism and transphobia no mention of it was made on the twitter feed or any public facing page. And when I asked about that and kept asking the parties deputy leader who was trans herself tried to use a post they had made a month before the membership had opened saying trans rights are human rights (a completely useless statement of faux support but that's for another rant) and her existance as deputy leader as proof that they had public condemned transphobia, and even tried to used the conversation between me and the secretary (who was still out in the cold) to back that up.
So I quit the party since it was obvious they were no different than every other party on this most important issue for me, (they didn't cancel my membership payment until after they took another month from me) and in another labour echo the complaints and internal affairs team decided that although things weren't handled at all right during this situation they were going to keep everything as it was.

Man, that's such bullshit and I'm really sorry that happened to you. Thanks for posting it.

bessantj fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Mar 20, 2021

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Regarde Aduck posted:

On one hand, yeah, don't touch them. On the other... well that's another party we can't vote for. I mean I can vote Plaid but they're never going to be able to achieve anything, they're useless.

I am really disappointed in Plaid, they just offer nothing.

112 - An emergency telephone number that you can dial from most any phone, anywhere.

bessantj fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 20, 2021

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Failed Imagineer posted:

Surprising amount of backbone being displayed by the Metro UK editors here

https://twitter.com/truesolicitor/status/1373749279202893828?s=19

Apologies if we're no longer posting Glinnflaps, I haven't kept track, but it seems relevant to thread. The loving state of tha'.

E: also, I couldn't help but read "anti-trans former..." as Glinner taking a strong position on Hasbro toys

I firmly believe the man needs help. His disgusting anti-trans crusade has completely destroyed his family and consumed his life. In a sane world he would have his Internet access taken away

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

I won't ever be that cool tbh and I have made my peace with that.

It's a lot cooler than the pic of that guy holding a huge bag of tesco value rice.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Borrovan posted:

Not all of us can do a :krad: kick-flip, solidarity to the rice-holders ✊

I totally and utterly reject your expressions of solidarity. Let nobody be in any doubt these are crocodile tears you are crying. For hundreds of years, the rad kick flip community has enjoyed kick flips in front of burning police vans. And today, you have been seen to trample their actions contemptuously unto the mud, you vile goon, you shall be judged guilty!!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

That's just unreal. Also no sign of Laurence Fox? But he'll bring freedom back to London!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Ha ha, he left the Brexit Party because it wasn't racist enough.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I just hope UKIP and the Abolish the Assembly twats get the boot.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Noxville posted:

It’s getting more than a little fashy at the moment what with the protest bill, the travellers bill, the asylum reforms and the incessant flag shagging. Like, just the last few days have felt REALLY bad

https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1374758594931986433?s=19

Well OK then, but what about child poverty? We're going to do something about that now yeah?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

sinky posted:

All children in poverty will be given a small Union flag to wave.

Huge PPE contracts for some, miniature Union flags for others.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I was made redundant from virginmedia and decided to learn to drive. It wasn't that hard really. I think the first lesson gave me confidence because the instructor (who had been a colleague at virginmedia) took me to an empty car park and I learnt clutch control, then drove 5 miles home no problem. After that everything was pretty easy. On the day of my test I was driving down the "lighthouse road" and saw something in the road up ahead as I got closer it turned out to be a hedgehog and four baby hedgehogs :kimchi:.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

She looks so angry in all those photos as if she's genuinely pissed off she has to be there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

HEY! He doesn't get to use that word, that's our word.