Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Borrovan posted:

They must have installed it backwards, don't tell them, you're in for a tasty windfall when you get everyone else's electricity bux

Or it's a top-up meter and that's how much credit you have, enjoy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Communist Thoughts posted:

Harry married a black woman and the UK is extremely racist

But if you point this out, people shout "she's as much a white woman as she is a black woman, who's the real racist now eh??"

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

happyhippy posted:

Edit: The Flat Earthers are going to love this pic.

No, to the contrary.

The picture clearly shows the earth curving away in the distance, and the poor ship left stranded for assuming the earth was flat.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

Found Miftan's nemesis

Which bit does the Jesus live in?

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

Maybe the real Jesus was the cake we made along the way.

Also I've been reading some holy-poo poo-the-us-healthcare-industry stuff and it just drums home how loving bad an idea it was to leave dentistry outside being fully NHS.

"Yeah you have to pay for the bits of your skeleton that normally stick out of your body until they kill something else inside" - helthcar.

Funny, I was reading a Twitter thread of "what does the US do better than the UK?" yesterday, with some strange claims (toilets? water pressure? one person even tried to claim internet speeds), but the top two were food (lol) and dentists/ry. Like, yeah I know British teeth haha, but I'd take more people having (imperfect) access to ok dentists than the rich getting everything up to and including Hollywood orthodontics, and screw everyone else.

Also, "yes we'll fix your eyeballs if they get diseased or damaged, but cough up if they don't focus light quite right" - healthcare

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Isomermaid posted:

On the other hand his transphobia is keeping his Islamophobia in check so there's that (+1 for thread ban)

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

If we ever manage to abolish the monarchy in the UK, there will forevermore be bizarre plots to install a King, because in the old days they had Kings and things were much better then. This may involve the summoning of dragons, the selection of a scrawny urchin to use as a puppet, or maybe a tall red-headed man living in a far off land who everyone knows is the rightful heir (hang on a moment...)

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Kang Starmer turns out to be incredibly fitting

Someone must have done Keith and Boris holding hands exchanging long protein strings, surely

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Borrovan posted:

I think the same basically applies to most hypocrisy. I was thinking a while back about Galaxy O'Brain's sudden switch to how everyone should fall behind Starmer to keep the Tories out after years of frothing at the mouth about Corbyn. imo, it's not actually hypocrisy from their perspective. If you assume their views to be axiomatic truth, of course the same logic doesn't apply when the tables are turned. The left should rally behind Starmer, but the centre shouldn't rally behind Corbyn because the left are wrong. It's not hypocrisy to complain about snowflakes melting down about ~objective truth~ whilst yourself melting down about things that are objectively wrong. "If you assume I'm right, it turns out I'm right" is a depressively common form of argument in modern discourse (typically with a bunch of completely otiose other steps of reasoning to paper over the core assumption).

CW for transphobia: the terf "1+1=2" slogan is the most infuriating example of this, because they're basically flat-out admitting that they're just axiomatically assuming that they're right (e: & also because its monstrous). All of the other terf arguments are derived from a false assumption, and you can't argue with the fuckers because it's a loving axiom to them. There's just no point in engaging with these types of argument, people always try to challenge the extra steps papering over the core assumption and it's just a waste of time. "[x assumption] is bullshit, gently caress off" is about all you can say.

The most honest admission of this was when they were doing the evil judge in the US last year, after saying 4 years previously that you can't confirm a supreme court judge right at the end of a president's term (Obama in that instance). Some guy just straight out said "it was bad to do it then because that was a bad judge we don't like, but of course we're going to do it now when it's someone we want". This is why the liberal "hah, gotcha" hypocrisy-hunting doesn't work, they just go "yeah, and?"

Reminds me of a Jack Dee quote that I can't remember the context of: "...but I can do that, you see, because I'm a hypocrite"

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Failed Imagineer posted:

Paying for a cat seems unnecessary when you can just rent a timeshare in a local cat by bribing them with snacks.

I've got 2 identical looking lads who patrol the walls around our gardens every hour or so, one after the other. Sometimes they just hang around at our back door waiting to be fed. Good kitties

We've been counting/greeting the neighbourhood cats on our lockdown walks this last year. One white-and-ginger was much more reliably present than the rest, very friendly. One day he let slip his Prestige-style secret:

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

big scary monsters posted:

Knowing the dictionary definition of the word "hubris" is one thing, but recognising it in the wild is apparently another.

I make my own, the shop-bought ones all have garlic in them

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Here in Canada they did add mandatory humanities courses to engineering programs. It was...six courses in your last two years when I went through? At least one had to be an ethics course and one had to be an econ course, other four were open choices.

To be frank it hasn't made a ton of difference with regards to Engineer Brain.

As the saying goes, you can lead horses to courses, but you can't stop them scoffing at the content and treating it like it's beneath them

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

willie_dee posted:

Listening to the BBC, it was interesting that more women are murdered by people they know, as if that was important, vs almost double of murder victims being male. What am I missing that makes women who are murdered more important than double the amount of men last year? The only thing I can think of is the idea that men are dying because they are implicit in the violence that occurs where as women only ever have violence imposed upon them.

I've seen a conversation like this go round in circles many times.

A: Men are killing women!
B: Men are more likely to be killed
A: Yes, by men!
B: Ok, but I'm scared of those men too

And I think, for the category of good-faith non-troll-MRA types arguing as A, it comes down to a fundamentally different perspective on the problem. Men who think of themselves as "good" see themselves as "on the same side" as women, against the violent "bad" men. Women may see this very differently. Here's a diagram I made (yay I got to use my Apple pencil):

Both are "true" in the sense they depict all the same people, but how you categorise them depends entirely on your relationship with each group.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Borrovan posted:

This is more accurate imo. Men just aren't afraid of violence in the way that women are. It's not like anyone starts googling crime statistics when deciding whether they should be afraid or not. There's some circumstances in which some men might feel afraid of some other men, whereas (almost) all men are a potential threat to (almost) all women, all of the time. Someone saying "I'm also scared of the bad men" has a very specific idea in mind of the kind of men he's afraid of, and it's not "potentially anybody", so if they're arguing what you're saying they're pretty much always missing the point so egregiously that it's hard to assume good faith.

I think you're right, especially because many of said people will only start making that argument when they learn a statistic about men, usually from such a discussion. They weren't actively scared before, so yeah it's probably often bad faith.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Lungboy posted:

You can apply for that yourself but you'll need the landlord to ok it unfortunately.

Sounds more like Maugrim's landlord has that bizarre emotional attachment that small-scale landlords seem to develop, where they get very upset at the idea of you doing anything to "their" property, don't like you thinking of it as "your home" because it's not yours, it's theirs.

Give me a cartoon landlord who's only motivated by money over one of them.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

stev posted:

I'd like to think that inheriting a home won't suddenly turn every young person and leftie into a FYGM type. Maybe I'm just being optimistic and naïve but I have to cling to the belief that my generation and those after will be better.

Not to mention the fact that inheritance is going to get more and more diluted over the next few generations as living costs rise and people living longer need to pay out the nose for more care with dwindling state support.

This, plus timings. My last remaining grandparent just died recently, leaving behind nothing because all her assets had gone to the (excellent) £1000 a week care home where she spent the last few years of her life with alzheimers. If she'd died like her husband - quickly and at home - there'd be some money. It's totally random who gets what (which is another good reason for inheritance not being a thing).

Point being, I (early-mid 30s millennial) have only just lots my last grandparent, and if we're lucky, my siblings and I wouldn't inherit anything from my parents for another 30 years or so. Add in the dilution of 3 siblings, and it's not a very reliable or helpful method for an entire generation to get on the "housing ladder". Which leads onto...

peanut- posted:

The really animating question of the wealth of millennials (and gen x tbf) is going to be pensions. Right now we're still in the period where most retired people have some income from defined benefit pensions accrued in their working life. Or if they do only have the state pension, they at least tend to have owned their home outright for a long time.

All that has been dismantled, in 15 years we're going to start seeing the first large wave of people hitting retirement age with only what they've accumulated in DC pension schemes and that is only going to accelerate.

There's going to be an enormous , social conflict-inducing wealth gap between people who worked in the public sector and are able to retire and people who worked in the private sector and never can.

Not only sucky DC pensions, but also having to pay rent out of them, which isn't ever allowed to go down. It's a massive timebomb that no politician will ever care about until it hits.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

That and the 'other side' of that confected debate being full of "am i being detained" people who are desperately trying to equate a vigil for a murdered woman with the 5G lizard people lockdown protests and their sovereign right to cough on people in Aldi.

I don't care to dig into the Twitter profiles of the anti-vigil people, but I bet there would be some of these:

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Borrovan posted:

Saw a few people on Twitter yesterday going around replying to gammonfolk's comments with "should the Duchess of Cambridge be arrested then?", met with silence each time.

Would have posted it but jfc looking at Twitter yesterday was a mistake, didn't want to inflict it on you lot

the correct answer is that yes she should have been arrested & offered a choice of cigarette & blindfold, but that's got nothing to do with the vigil

Yeah Twitter is out of control right now, and reinforces my belief that there is no bad thing that can happen, that won't have a large number of people going "it's good actually, more boot ketchup please".

Coincidentally, they (the robots) have totally stopped sending me "this tweet you reported was found to violate the rules" notifications, so I guess I'm tagged as a troublemaker for reporting loads of hateful stuff :sigh:

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

There’s a Star-mer waiting just outside,
With policies a-plenty
But he thinks they’d blow our minds.
There’s a Star-mer working for some spies.
He’d like to help the young folks,
But the red wall’s more worthwhile
He told me
Now the party’s used them,
Let the party lose them,
And all the press abuse them

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Miftan posted:

I'm already ineligible to vote, so this seems a bit much.

(Miftan, staring at post-voting options of chocolate orange or Christingle) "Is this some kind of joke?"

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Gifted children don't need nurturing into super-geniuses, they need to be taught how to learn even though they seem to absorb everything easily. And maybe be checked for ADHD even though they're not "naughty" or "thick".

Signed, me

Also, Apple Music plus vinyl is the top combo

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

I also honestly just don't like academia. I don't know that I ever did even when I was good at it. It doesn't make me happy and it's completely unsustainable into adulthood with ADD. If they'd stuffed me into some sort of practical skill class I would have probably turned out a lot happier.

God yes, this. In my country, for secondary schools you had the Lycée Classique (for clever academic kids) and the Lycée Technique (for thickos to learn trades) - it wasn't explicitly stated like this, but that was the general impression. It's quite 11+ like, but I think done on discussion with parents and teacher, rather than a test.

Of course there was no question of me going to the Technique, because I was "gifted", even though I would probably have loved to learn electronics and electrical engineering and stuff.

sebzilla posted:

Yes hello. It's me who pissed off my primary school by leaving after Year 5 having won a full scholarship to a fancy secondary school, depriving them of my baller SATS results, then coasted through secondary school without ever really learning how to work at things until things eventually got difficult and I ended up with some mediocre A Levels at 16. Then slacked through uni, scraped a 2:1, job done. No First to put on the big wall at school though, what a disappointment I must have been.

Hello friend. You did "better" than me, I got totally lost in university level physics, drew a penguin on my 2nd year mechanics exam, dropped out and went to learn how to do something practical instead. Best decision ever.

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Mar 18, 2021

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

ThomasPaine posted:

'Gifted' children don't exist, just kids who might be naturally good at absorbing information and have a stable enough home life and supportive enough parents to engage with their schoolwork consistently. The whole idea is toxic as gently caress, has no bearing on actual intellectual ability (which is not at all the same thing as rote learning!), and led to polarised schools where perfectly capable pupils were written off while entirely unremarkable ones were fawned over and told they were somehow superior to their classmates. There's a reason the Weetmans of the world so often seem to give off 'I was a top set kid and this is still an integral part of their personality at 30-odd'. It's no surprise these people are also often extremely dumb yet somehow think they're great intellectual heavyweights. It's the exact same demographic who earnestly put 'Ravenclaw' in their Twitter bios and christ it's the most pathetic thing.

Given the real (economic) determinants of success at school, a cynic might call this yet another aspect of British class warfare serving neuter working class resistance by breeding alienation and anti-intellectualism and making them internalise their supposed inferiority! And it has worked! Anyone who went to a UK comp in the early 00s, and probably for a good while before, will remember the endemic anti-intellectualism, especially amongst the boys, and sometimes even implicitly coming from the teachers. Enjoying academic stuff was effete and soft and pretentious, something for the effete and soft and pretentious posh kids at the private school, who we joked about and mocked but always felt inferior to once the bluster stopped. To like books, or whatever, was seen in a sense as a class betrayal. It's one of the most effective strategies of mental domination imaginable. Turn a good and powerful tool into an indicator of otherness and in doing so deprive the working class of a valuable weapon while encouraging them to fight amongst themselves. The loss of genuine proletarian intellectualism and literature is easy to overlook but has had devastating consequences, and this poo poo has directly contributed to it.

I see what you're saying, but I think even with all other things being equal, there will still be such a thing as a "child who seems to grasp all concepts thrown at them with minimal studying...", which is what people mean by gifted, and as the responses in this thread indicate, that concept continues "...until they don't, at which point they crash because they don't know what to do". Unless like oh dear me you can coast all the way through uni, which seems to work, but a lot of people seem to hit a wall before then.

But I think our extremely narrow idea of intelligence, which gets praised in "gifted" children and lamented in the others, is the main problem, and shifting away from it would solve a lot of problems.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Also, we're talking about small children, told by the all-knowing tall people who control their lives that they're special, in a way that sets them up to fail later. It's probably not the worst thing done by the education system (and can sound quite "woe is me, my huge brain is such a burden" if we're not careful), but it's definitely a thing.

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Mar 18, 2021

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

ThomasPaine posted:

I also recently had a call from the 'police' saying a criminal investigation had been opened against me and that only by pressing one could I avoid being arrested!

That's just stolen straight from the Simpsons

Also part of my job is support, so I do occasionally get calls to my mobile from unknown landlines. The vast majority are spam trying to change my energy or internet providers, but I still answer the same, and ask what problems they're having with their lighting equipment. And then act confused - why would you call the lighting support line if you don't have a problem?

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

for a minute i thought he was being interviewed by the plant, and based on his expression and body language he was being outmanuevred by it

"What kind of plant are you? I'm the MI5 kind"

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

franco posted:

2. What's the Gordon Brown "spent all the poonds" all about?

Non-Labour parties (esp Tories) enjoy portraying Labour as a party that spends lots of money, especially in the wake of the great financial crisis, when the New Labour government was forced to do so to prevent the country from totally collapsing. Tories saw this as a perfect excuse to bring in austerity, and ran up to the 2010 election claiming that Labour were being reckless with their spending (as they had been throughout their 13 years in office), and now there was no money left so we all had to tighten our belts. After they won, they repeatedly blamed all subsequent cuts on Labour having emptied the piggy bank.

This was not helped by the outgoing Chief Person of the Money Division (or whatever, may have been called Liam), leaving a note for his successor literally saying "there's no money left". These notes were apparently a common joke between governments, but the Tories made it public, going "see? See?? They spent all the money, which, like a household, is a finite resource, so we need to start bringing in more than we spend to balance the books".

Brown rhymes with pound (and the "Scottish" version Broon rhymes with poond), leading to the phrase you mention.

Also he sold some gold, I have no idea if that was a good thing or not but it's made out to be a bad thing by people who love gold.

Edit: Going beyond the scope of the original question, there are a few different levels of this nonsense, repeated by politicians, talking heads, and regular people who Feel Clever Knowing the Sensible Truth.

The 3-word slogan version is "no money left". This is supposed to evoke the image of a country in, or right on the brink of, bankruptcy: literally no money left to pay for anything, imminent collapse, failed state etc. This version imagines the Tories being voted in in the nick of time, to turn the ship around and avert this crisis. People peddling this version will use the word "bankrupt" a lot, and make comparisons to Zimbabwe.

The slightly less cataclysmic version draws a direct parallel between a government and a household - the government gets money from taxes, and spends it on public services. It should aim to take in more than it spends (running a surplus) so it can save money for a rainy day. If it spends more than it takes in, it runs a deficit and has to borrow money, like a householder getting stuck and putting bills on a credit card. Eventually this "national credit card" is full, and then there's a crisis. Don't be like Labour filling up the national credit card - run a surplus all the time, like a sensible grown up.

Sometimes it would be pointed out that this doesn't always work, and that JM Keynes (economist revered by sensible capitalists) said the economy goes in boom and bust cycles, and it's ok to run a deficit in the bust part to keep things moving. "Aha!" say the sensibles, "but Labour ran a deficit during the good times, which meant there was nothing left for a rainy day, so they spent all the poonds".

The reality: governments don't get money from tax, they create it in the first place and spend it into the economy. If a government runs a surplus (takes more money out of the economy than it puts in), it's literally sucking money out of the economy so it can't be used anymore. There may be times when there's too much money sloshing around and some sucking need to occur, but this isn't really related to the boom-bust cycle, and New Labour were quite right to spend during their time in office (to patch up after decades of Tory negligence) and quite right to keep spending after the crisis. Post-2010 acceptance that balancing the books was necessary and debt was bad, by seemingly all major parties, with the kind-of-exception of the Corbyn years (but not really because they still insisted on "funding" every spend they promised) is a major obstacle in ever getting anything done ever again.

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 20, 2021

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Party Boat posted:

My favourite thing about the national finances as household finances analogy is that many households do have debt that's several times larger than their GDP in the form of a mortgage.

Ah but that's different, because it's worth it in the long run.

Hmmmmmm...

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Going way back to landlords with unhealthy emotional attachments to buildings, I made this

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Failed Imagineer posted:

E: ^^^ lmao somebody make the appropriate "sweating kier choosing between two buttons" comic please

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

I hope that doesn't cause a rise in fash, there's already growing Qult influence in Germany and the Netherlands seems to have the English Tory effect going on where no matter how much poo poo their lovely right wing parties poo poo on people they still remain popular.

Somebody scrawled "Great Replacement" on a FvD (the "Geert Wilders is too soft" party) poster down the road, and I don't think they were antifa worried about being replaced by gammons :ohdear:

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

If you want to learn more about chest freezers, check out the Technology Connections guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGAhWgkKlHI

And he's finally got part 1 of his video on heatpumps out, which I know is of interest to several in this thread.

E: Special cat tax - 1 year ago today our beloved Jimmy passed away, just after I got back from the UK 2 weeks earlier than planned. I mention this mainly because it seems like about 5 years ago, even though the last year has also gone crazy fast. What is time?

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Mar 23, 2021

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Jippa posted:

*Fridge.

But yeah. The compartment above your fridge is just meant for keeping things in temporarily. It doesn't get cold enough to store things for long periods (especially meat etc).

I think there's a difference between a fridge with a tiny freezer compartment at the top

And a "fridge-freezer", which I think is what CoolCab was referring to

Which is still linked to the cooling system of the fridge, and suffers from "cold-air-fall-out" syndrome, but is still much more proper than the first thing.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

learnincurve posted:

For every cast iron fire there are a million trampolines taken away for free.

Seriously, just flag down the scrap van as it goes past and they will even disassemble it for you.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

You have 6 months to make your film... you have 1 month... your film has been taken over and turned into a remake of Cube... you have 6 months to make your remake of Cube

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

On handy books, nth-ing Shock Doctrine.

The Deficit Myth is an excellent summary of why MONEY DOESN'T WORK THAT WAY, with the added bonus that the way money does work is still compatible with capitalism, so if someone might scared off by ~~socialism~~ then it's a nice gentle introduction to the fact that all politicians have been lying about something fundamental (or they're stupid) in order to make people's lives worse for no reason.

Then you hit them with the reasons why capitalism is bad actually.

Such as Bullshit Jobs, which I just finished, which is kind of a side tangent but contains good examples of why capitalism is bad.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

My milk brings gatherings of either 6 people or 2 households to the yard but not indoors.

You could risk it, but they would levy a fee

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

The police shouldn't be allowed to use dogs or horses, and it's just more proof of authoritarian bootlickery that our "nation of animal lovers" gets up in arms at the wrong people when they're put in harm's way.

And I don't even like dogs or horses (cats and elephants 4 life), but they should be allowed to exist without being put to work for the ACAB.

e: and of course there's Finn's law, in further proof that laws named after people are bad even if those people are dogs, which limits how much you can defend yourself when being attacked by a police animal, without getting done for harming it.

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Mar 27, 2021

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

^^ if it's vaccine/Covid related, I normally use the encouraging harm one, for what it's worth. Fake news regarding any kind of minority could be "directing hate against", I guess. But yeah there needs to be a "dangerous lies" button (there will never be a "dangerous lies" button)

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Imagining a world where Bobstar is king and the police patrol the streets on elephants and use sniffer cats

Hey

If I'm king, nobody's riding any elephants.

Sniffer cats sounds good though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Borrovan posted:

"power for renters"

Kieth: "they got this all screwed up"