Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

R.D. Mangles posted:

Jackie Bradley Jr. is a brewer.
2 years, $24 mil. Second year is a player option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I'm reading that Forrest Whitley is still dealing with arm soreness which may be why the Astros went out to get Odorizzi

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Kusnick is a terrible agent and he has mostly lost all of his clients over the years to other agents

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Rheal Cormier died, rip

Rheal
Pour one out for a Rheal one

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

They also have that extremely tiny Albies contract

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

abelwingnut posted:

what other celebs/athletes from other sports have taken a pa in spring training? i remember russell wilson did, like, two or three years ago? and i think he did ok?
Garth Brooks appeared for a couple of different teams

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

That's usually nice of them

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I want to say it was 1987 Topps where the company printed an entire set for every man woman and child in the country

Like even the best cards from that time are barely worth anything

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The card market has exploded in the last year or so along with a lot of other hobbies because people have money to spend and nowhere to spend it. So the raw boxes are way up in price because people are trying to flip the cards they get in them. Very bizarre to me because regular Topps Series 1 is very vanilla usually.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

do they make normal baseball cards anymore which are just lovely cards designed to be beaten up by a child that have very bad pictures of guys that you won't remember are in the league within 5 years or are they all fancy ones with uniform patches and stuff for old collectors.
I mean regular Topps still exists, but like someone was saying, the market is all messed up right now so even packs of that are overinflated

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

actionjackson posted:

thanks for the explanation

is stuff like this money laundering or what

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-1992-Bow...5.c100752.m1982
eBay has always had stuff like that to some degree. I have no idea what causes it though.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

ozymandius1024 posted:

So that dude paid 400k for it a few years ago, and still made over 3 mil on it? Jesus loving Christ
Yeah the market is out of control for the high end stuff

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Shiroc posted:

I had been collecting cards in a "maybe something cool with be in them" way and getting autographs of mostly random guys as my best things (with La Tortuga as my best). I never saw any last year after the shutdown and I assumed Topps just wasn't shipping any really for 2020. It was really because people are speculating on everything now?
Yes mostly

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Not good

https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/status/1371917678093463552?s=21

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

LeeMajors posted:

Someone jerked off on those hats
MLB C/V Marpril: Someone jerked off on those hats

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

RIP

https://twitter.com/mikecugnocbs4/status/1372588077634424837?s=21

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Johnson’s just kind of a weird quiet guy who I don’t think does a lot of interviews

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

more falafel please posted:

Man, now I just want an interview with Andre Dawson about his funeral home.
He’s done several. Here is one

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29224947/the-baseball-hall-famer-runs-funeral-home-andre-dawson-second-act

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah that's not going to cut it

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Speaking of extensions, the Pirates apparently made an offer to Ke'Bryan Hayes and it went nowhere

https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/status/1374908143709392899?s=20

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Gio Gonzalez decided to retire today

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

They could get a lot for Contreras by himself. There aren't that many good catchers.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/status/1375541727348588552?s=20

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Well Scott Kingery got optioned to the minors

That extension has been a disaster

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Like I've been saying, the Ricketts' Trump 2024 Super PAC isn't going to fund itself

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The Marlins' top pitcher from 2020 will start the 2021 season at the alternate site. He was in the Covid protocol early in spring and didn't pitch until March 15th.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/03/marlins-option-sixto-sanchez.html

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Uh....yeah. That's a complete joke.

I do wonder if some of this is the owners trying to see if they can bully some players into signing lopsided deals before a likely labor stoppage this fall.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Kirios posted:

Honestly 10 year / 325 million seems like a solid offer for Lindor.
He would be better off taking it rather than trying to hold out for $400 mil in a possible lockout year

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

So the Marlins Park name change isn't even the worst name change in the city

The soon-to-be-former American Airlines Arena (we call it the Triple-A down here), is going to be renamed FTX Arena. That's the Miami Heat's arena. The naming rights were purchased last week by a Chinese crypto outfit that isn't even authorized to operate within the US.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Sigh

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Andrew Vaughn made the White Sox's 26 man roster

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

habeasdorkus posted:

Both of these are true, the Mets deal is fair and Lindor has every right to see what free agency holds. That being said, I don't think Lindor's going to get that much more by going into free agency - especially with a potential labor stoppage coming.

I hope he has an MVP quality season either way.
He’s definitely not getting $400 mil on the open market, especially when the league is staring down a labor stoppage in a few months

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Honestly I think the reason Hernandez’s jersey sells well in Boston is because they are confused and thought his first name was a slur

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Padres reliever Michel Baez has to have TJS and will be out all of 2021 and a chunk of 2022

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Does anyone know when Dee Gordon decided to start officially going by Dee Strange-Gordon again? He came up in the minors under that name but I believe played almost all of his MLB career just under Dee Gordon, but all of a sudden I notice that MLB sites have him listed under the longer name again.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

seiferguy posted:

Last year: https://www.distractify.com/p/why-did-dee-gordon-change-his-name he did it because Strange is his mom's last name who was murdered by an abusive boyfriend :(
Thanks

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

DH for everyone. Yes, even you.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Look, when they said ‘Meet the Mets’, they meant with strict social distancing

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Shiroc posted:

I'm watching the end of the Yankees game and almost nobody in the stands are wearing masks correctly and its making me super depressed. So many more people are going to get sick and die pointlessly because things couldn't stay closed a few more months.
Cases are already going back up again in a lot of states

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I don't understand that Bellinger 'not HR'. So because Turner went back on the bases Bellinger was ruled out and the HR doesn't count? I've never heard of this before.