Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
One day I just decided I was going to skate all my chores and now it's my primary transport method. There are not that many hills that destroy me though I do definitely have the fear of a bottom-of-a-hill-intersection, I maybe need to start wearing brakes and figuring out how to go backwards in those situations or calm my tits a touch. But I did 200+ miles of street in April and May (can't give exact because I'm terrible at remembering to start a workout). And I walk with a cane. It's doable. You can do it. Start slow, do it when you feel good about it but if you aren't feeling good don't push.

And always wear safety gear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Mauser posted:

I thought that too, but I didn't think people removed the brakes on quads. If we're talking quads then yeah I don't know much about them

I am indeed on quads. The brakes have been replaced with dance plugs (smooth half-domes that can act as a pivot point), but slaloming and carving are still possible and what I do at the moment, but to avoid being too rough on my knees it means I need a bit more area/reliable pavement to do a quick stop than I am sometimes allowed in NYC.

A common alternative to brakes is to drag the side of your skate/wheels against the ground but all this is also far more difficult on broken pavement with a bum knee. Not to say none of it is traversable somehow, just takes practice and intention.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Literally A Person posted:

We call those ones the widow makers.

Loooool how have I not heard this

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

If I was just skating streets I could see having something without stops but when it comes to park skating it's a big no.

Be pretty fun for jamming though....

Reminding me I need new grind blocks here.

I haven’t worn brakes on my skates in literal years, they’re more a hindrance than a boon the way they can unexpectedly catch ground irregularities etc.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Quad maintenance day thoughts: Radar Energy aqua kinda suck, too small for real roads (which are not smooth) and too soft to be great for flat. Also realized I’d put my g2s into my moxi gummis, so i swapped them into the radars and put g3s into the gummies. It feels so very nice and luxurious after the G2s that had been gettin dirty for about 300 mi.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

I decided gently caress it I have plenty of acetone I’m not letting the rain get in my way of skating this week.

I’m at 75 miles from Monday and 93 from Sunday. I’ve done a few skates on more treacherous routes and have just overall been testing my limits and finding them mentally imposed rather than reflective of my capabilities.

Also I got a foldable cane so I don’t need to carry mine like a baton twirler to have it on hand for when I need to switch to walking.

Overall a lovely week for telling trains and cars to gently caress themselves.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

mystes posted:

I keep thinking of getting a set of softer wheels to use in wet conditions but I think I'm too lazy to clean the bearings each time

I’ve been trying to be far better at cleaning my bearings after doing all my wheels a few months ago and finding them
A. Grosser than ever before
2. In need of rotation to even wear
iii. full of failing bearings

so if I think of it as moving up my monthly cleaning rather than adding a cleaning to my schedule it’s not even really an inconvenience.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

I have become everything that I hate and just buy a new set of bearings when I start to get slow. It makes a good excuse to get a tire rotation in once a month or so.

I am not trying to spend $40+ a month!

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Also, $40? What bearings are you skating?

Bronson g3 are my bearing of choice

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Those sound p classy.

They’re p reliable and worth the extra few bucks considering I clean and ride them for a year+

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Might have to check out a set. I've been a pretty committed Bones Reds rider but I always enjoy trying some new kit

Reds are definitely a fine bearing, I prefer g2s slightly to reds (find them lasting longer and running smoother), and g3s are smoother than g2s but wont last longer than g2s without maintenance

Everything else I’ve used has been kinda poo poo.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

I ended up doing around 115 mi in quads last week (estimating conservatively).

I’m p happy that I
1. Beat my prior record by at a minimum 33 miles
2. Didn’t measure, but tried mapping afterwards so that my top # isn’t something to compete against and I can focus more on the feelings
3. Actually made a few leg muscles tired for the first time in a long while
4. Did 5 rain rides
5. Got a folding cane that can easily clip to my bumbag

Less happy that I
1. Am nearing the end of this set of g3s (the shields on enough of the bearings are hosed enough that I’m running shieldless on this set going forward)
2. Found a hematoma on my hip to work out
3. Am thinking about punking out on a bearing press

And v specifically unhappy that I won’t afford grind blocks for a while

Overall a great week, 9/10 will do again

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

felgs posted:

The closest indoor rink is an hour bus ride. :smith:

Get some acetone and face to wet riding? It’s actually REALLY fun I just get tired of cleaning bearings, but I’d rather clean than spend more than two days off

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

felgs posted:

This is not great advice for someone who barely knows how to stop, I have not been relearning for that long and I definitely do not feel comfortable skating in wet weather.

Sorry for being a little flippant, I’m always going to err on the side of empowerment as I hear too many people say “i couldn’t do that” when comparing themselves to my skating, and that’s almost never true. Like, I’m not young, I didn’t really start young, and I came to the sport in earnest already in need of mobility aids*. I’m really not that good, I’m just practiced and try to stay aware of my limits. That can lead to some advice that sounds heady or foolhardy for you or comes off entirely brash.

I agree you shouldn’t do it for transport or in other uncontrolled environments in that situation, but I still think if you can get mentally and physically prepared to fall that wet weather skating will actually be really useful (don’t discount the mentally prepared part, I’m never intending to push always trying to boost).

What you learn for stopping in wet weather will always work, and better, in dry weather. If you have appropriate pads (I recommend thigh/butt pads on top of the general joint set), know how to fall, and don’t mind finding an isolated space to skate in (most popular skate spots end up empty during rain) you can learn a ton fairly quickly and get a huge confidence boost. I’ve always learned the most in sessions like this. Learning to keep your skates/bearings clean early on is also great.

I also know some people just put their skates on while they’re in the kitchen cooking/doing dishes so that they don’t get too out of practice. I really hate spending multiple days without my skates on, I’ve worn a trenchcoat to the airport in 39C weather to keep my skates on a leash around my neck without them counting as a carryon.

*I know I talk about it in thread, and want to note that my cane usage when walking is not based in any kind of skate or sporting injury. It’s from my knee TW:injury description hitting a metal bar and both changing shape and shifting, making the tendons less reliable to keep it in place without swelling up to do so.. I do have some scars from cycling interactions with cars in the aughts, but just cosmetic (nothing that functionally affects me or my capabilities). My skating actually does much to improve the condition of my problem leg. I think this is important to note because I know that plenty of folks in need of mobility aids or otherwise disabled will have different considerations and results.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

I suggest pouring a container of olive oil on a hardwood floor and skating through it at high speed.

Delicious.

If you cover the floor in speed cream you dont even need to clean your bearings afterward

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

I’m amending my advice; the guy at the skate shop just asked if I’ve ever lubed with gasoline because “it’s the best” so cover the floor in that

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

That guy is dumb. Gasoline is a solvent. It's great for cleaning bearings but never use it as a lubricant.

That guy was dumb for a lot of reasons and it disappoints me that this is what an IRL shop is being staffed by

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

He was hitting on someone whose shirt was literally just the word “Dyke”, for one. He didn’t think roller skates and skateboards would share hardware. I asked if they had any longboards and he pointed out a 36” fishtail. He thought the only bearings he had for sale were loose, but I could clearly see sealed boxes of reds behind the register. I just played dumb and was like “thanks anyway guess I’ll find a rollerskate store”

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

mystes posted:

that's what all the gasoline fumes from lubing your bearings will do to you

It would make sense, he said when he was younger he was really on fire

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

vonnegutt posted:

I ran into one of these too. I asked for a pack of Reds and questioned my decision when he found out I rollerbladed, telling me these were for skateboards and might not work. When I told him they absolutely would work, that I already had a pack and just needed a second, then he was had all kinds of questions about blades and quad skates. Then he talked my ear off about a bunch of stuff that would clearly need much more planning and organization. For example he wanted to have a "skate 5k" with a cash prize gathered from entry fees, naturally. He wanted to have it "before the end of the summer" but hadn't identified a location or exact date. I didn't have the heart to tell him that all of the (running) 5ks I signed up for had signups available at least three months in advance.

Worst part was he was the owner of the skate shop.

I wonder if these people understand what bearings are and how they work or if they just know where they go

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Anyone ever try wooden wheels. Like obvs I couldn't skate outside with them but man it seems like it'd be fun as gently caress to slide around a rink on some. The prices make me think twice though.

https://rollerskateusa.com/sg-wh-wood.html
$70 doesn’t seem too bad? I’ve not used them since being an undedicated teen rink rat in the 90s, want to try it again now that i yknow know how to skate

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

So drat nice had to go out for TWO skates today.

I’ve found it’s hard to keep balance with only one skate

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

mystes posted:

There's some video where someone shows off by taking off one inline skate while going down a hill but I can't remember the details enough well enough to find it again

I know a dip on quads who does that. He broke his ankle taking him out for a summer. Still does it.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Third skate?? Probably should, huh?

You know I support this, be it a third time out skating or uh a skate for your face?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

felgs posted:

Too loving hot but it's the only no rain forecasted day all week so I got my rear end out to really skate!!!

Today I learned the pedestrian crosswalk paint on the bike path is very slick, and that stagger stance owns for balance while cruising but I don't know how to bubble with my lead foot yet. Gonna get on that!!

Also did some very basic onto toes/onto heels in the grass to help get a feel for weight transfer and maybe, one day!!!, manuals

I'm lying if the aesthetics of it aren't what partially motivate me

I'm very excited lmao it's been ages since outdoors exercise felt good

The white lines are slick but usually the red or green or blue paints to distinguish a bus lane or mup are bumpy, I have a few routes that include them on a downhill to make a reasonable pace more manageable

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

What are a stagger stance and "bubble" here? I think these are what I'd call scissoring (childish lol) and idk what the second one is.

Anyway I nearly hit the back of a bus yesterday when it unexpectedly slowed down and in the process of dodging round it nearly hit a lamppost I couldn't see, but I didn't so I'm going to say that I looked cool doing it and totally not that I was carrying way too much speed and wasn't expecting three double decker buses to turn up at once and try and frame themselves into the same junction.

Stagger stance is with one foot ahead of the other, it’s absolutely necessary for uneven surfaces.

Bubbles are tracing circles with your skate to move forward instead of doing a kick.

gently caress I hate bus operators, I got a concussion from basically the same story a week ago. Operator ran a red and then found themselves stuck blocking the entire road by getting the bus lodged lengthwise across three lanes.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

mystes posted:

Since it's really humid and the air quality is moderately bad here now I decided to try going to an ice rink and using the ice skates I bought and never had a chance to use this winter.

Ice skating is really weird.

Ever since at the rink some person seemingly in their early twenties fell in front of me and when I was skating to the side kicked so their wheel went straight to my crotch I’ve figured I dont want to be in public with people strapping blades.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

It was so hot I’m actually both physically tired and sleepy after a mild 20ish miles, but i met a new lesbian skate crew :) Most of this ones actually near my neighborhood too

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

mystes posted:

He's very much the skating equivalent of Terry Barentsen which is to say pretty awesome but I think you would have to be insane to skate like that

i ride all of those roads and uh definitely not like that

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

mystes posted:

This video where he chases an equally insane quadskater through a tunnel on some sort of group skate is also pretty good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-d39dN6NwM

lol weds night skate is how I started street skating, its a hell of a lot easier to develop the boldness in a group. one of my pals has been doin this group skate since the 90s.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

I switch wheels while keeping the same boots far more often. 8 wheels are smaller/easier to carry than two boots if you’re going to skate to a flat space such as a rink.

Edit:

God drat I am jealous of those roads compared to London.

Once I took my skates to Dublin lol what a loving waste of effort

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Met squid last night, friendly but quite the self-promoter

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

mystes posted:

were you in a mall?

No? If you’re asking about the table I was at a sidewalk cafe this afternoon and pulled the card out to use as a joint tip, which reminded me of this thread

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

No Wave posted:

If I only skate when it's dry how often should I be cleaning my bearings? I do about 12 miles 3 times a week.

I try to clean once a month, every 250 mi or so, or when performance is notably degraded. I have never cleaned my bearings and thought ‘well that feels the same.’

I’ve also heard speed skaters say they ride intentionally lovely bearings so that they can feel a massive improvement when using new bearings for competition, and others who clean their bearings once a year cause they mainly skate flat clean surfaces.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

When you say "clean the bearings" do you mean like "take apart, clean,grease, press back together"?

Because I have literally never done that on these skates and I've had them for maybe 4 years?

Take wheels off of trucks, remove bearings from wheels, take single side of shielding off if shielded, soak in acetone, dry, speed lube, reseal, replace bearings into wheels, rotate wheels, replace wheels onto trucks.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Can't stop myself now. Making the 2 hour pilgrimage AGAIN to skate on that sweet sweet hardwood.

I ended up street skating for like 7 hours today after getting jealous of the hardwood posting

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

For the first time in 5 years I’m actually cleaning the suede on my lollys

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Can y’all educate this quad girl, why do inlines need liners

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

mystes posted:

I guess with a high hardshell boot you need some sort of liner (although some skates have integral liners) because otherwise you would be pressing against hard plastic? Speed skates don't have liners. Maybe inline skates that are more like hockey skates and just lace up don't need them either? I've never used that type

Since quad skates are more like shoes I guess you just lace them up tightly but they aren't as rigid. Once the shell is rigid, it won't mold to your foot so you need to add a liner which will conform to your foot?

So it’s just those plasticy ski boot types of skates that use the liners

And yeah on quads you usually just wear wool socks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

No Wave posted:

I spent an hour and five dollars of isopropyla alcohol and two dollars of speed cream disassembling cleaning lubing and reassembling my 25 dollar bearings. It doesnt make a whole lot of sense, does it?

A $25 bottle of acetone (fuckoff huge)
An $8 bottle of speed cream
Two sets of $25 bearings
8-16 cleanings

6 months - 1 year of skating (1300-2600 miles low ball estimate)

It doesnt take an hour now that I am used to it (more like 20 min) and it doesnt mean saying bye to my bearings or not skating when it rains.