Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Waterbed Wendy posted:

what are some of his most controversial positions? I really only know of him from the most recent primaries. I tuned out after that.

He's a massive misogynist. He lost his last job because a woman had the gall to edit his work for instance. Very recently gave a ton of support to Seattleite and Bari Weiss-wannabe Katie Herzog when she wrote an editorial complaining about, and I'm paraphrasing here, "folks pressuring masculine girls to become transmen instead of butch lesbians". This of course was based on a flawed reading of a survey showing that the % of folks identifying as lesbian actually increased.

So yeah, gently caress Glenn Greenwald and while I'm at it, gently caress Katie Herzog as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Here’s the tweet (part of a thread) that has the deets of folks are curious just how lovely this is.

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1364619334790873088?s=21

Christ, it was less than a month ago.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

V. Illych L. posted:

the allegations against assange are that he's a rapist and i've already said that i find those allegations credible. as a matter of personal principle i don't like to assert that people have done specific crimes for which they haven't been convicted, especially when they're being persecuted by the full force of anglo-american state power. i don't mind that others don't share this principle, but it's telling that the criticism comes in the shape of condemning specific phrasing and rhetorical emphasis rather than engaging on substance

This you?

V. Illych L. posted:

honestly i prefer to be wrong on the side of not killing people for journalism and then using unrelated alleged crimes to justify it. weird that this is so controversial

It really feels like you're just on the line of calling that rape victim a liar and using increasingly convoluted language to justify or simply hide that fact. How about you deal with the plain and simple issues on the ground instead of being vague?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Quotey posted:

I understand that, but the OP is asking what he's done and "What are some of his best hits that make so many people hate him?" Then the only things that get linked is the thread on twitter about white supremacy and an article he wrote from 2005. The rest of it is just circlejerky call and response poo poo. The only good short response was the one along the lines of "he's a civil libertarian who takes it to extreme lengths" IMO.

I read the shipping and tech threads, probably one or two others occasionally. Other than that it's just seeing what the latest stuff from the leper's colony is.

I already posted a bunch of his anti-trans rants.

Why are you lying?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't have a strong opinion on Greenwald, but I am curious as to why the USPol thread melts down about him pretty much every single day. The last time it was some person just begging for a random leftist to show up and defend Greenwald like they were posting a Craigslist hookup ad.

Why do people keep wandering in here, refusing to read the thread and then for some reason always trying to make the point that anyone who objects to Greenwald is wrong in some way?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Halloween Jack posted:

I didn't do that, so neither of us knows what you're talking about.

I know exactly what I’m talking about, and everyone responding to me have given nothing but textbook no effort responses.

Who are you to tell me that I don’t know what I see with my own eyes?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Halloween Jack posted:

You claimed I said that "anyone who objects to Greenwald is wrong in some way." I didn't say that, so your righteous indignation is just embarrassing. Do better.

You used the phrase, "melting down", which normal folks interpret to mean "an unreasonable, negative reaction". You refused to acknowledge all the posts where people pointed out very reasonable things like making GBS threads on people who are trans and bi-erasure, so either you ignored them or you think those posts are fine.

Which is it?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Slanderer posted:

He was in 2004, as he freely admits. What's your excuse for believing Rachel Maddow in 2021?

Who the gently caress cares about Rachel Maddow, other than the fact that she isn’t an anti-trans bigot?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

letthereberock posted:

It’s just a repackaging of the old anti-gay marriage chestnut, “gay people have the same right to marry someone of the opposite sex as straight people do!”

When you see rights that you yourself will never need to exercise as being “special” rights for the people who will, it’s easy to see every minority group as demanding extra rights.

It's amazing to me, because even if they were "extra rights", it doesn't change anything for anyone else. Yet all the time I hear whining and complaining about how "they're going to force us to learn pronouns" and "where's my free speech" (in the context of wanting to be openly bigoted), etc.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Does Tracey actually do anything other than be a supporting character on twitter every fortnight.

Wow, that’s really pathetic when you put it that way.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Quotey posted:

I think right now they want lawyers so they don't have to take a lovely plea deal or gamble with an overworked public defender against the FBI (or whoever handles it, DOJ whatever), but that too I suppose. I think doing a gofundme for the takeover of the US might be covered under illegal activities.

The public defenders working on federal cases aren't the overworked/underpaid public defenders you see elsewhere. Not that I wouldn't be making GBS threads my pants if I had federal charges against me, but this isn't anything close to what anyone charged last summer is facing.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

tom kite posted:

The dude whose journalism contributed to freeing Lula is a nazi, you make no sense

Can you explain how freeing Lula also requires being an anti-trans bigot? Or are you just doing a drive by as well?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Still Dismal posted:

This is basically it. The Brazil poo poo impacted him personally so he (rightfully!) treated it as incredibly dire and serious story. He doesn’t live in the US anymore, so things like Trump, the Jan 6 riot, etc. get laughed off as the hysterical cringe succdems being owned.

Greenwald is the end stage of the edgy contrarianism you see in some places that’s purportedly leftist, but is honestly just anti-liberal establishment above all else.

How is being a transphobe simply being “anti-liberal establishment”?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

lil poopendorfer posted:

so he's a 'gullible libertarian', not a transphobe.

This doesn’t make up for the ugly poo poo he’s said previously, why are you posting something so loving disgusting?

Do you think someone who runs around screaming the n-word but objects to lynching is somehow o solved of their racism?

Why the gently caress can’t folks like you find someone who doesn’t constantly poo poo on women and trans folks?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

lil poopendorfer posted:

He supports gender-affirming care for transgender youths and opposes legislation blocking it. seems pretty cut and dry to me.

But it’s fine to repeatedly claim that lesbians are “recruited to become trans men”? You still haven’t addressed this which just proves you’re posting in bad faith and trying to piss the rest of us off at the expense of minorities.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Grammarchist posted:

Back when "being gay" was controversial I knew plenty of libertarians who would "boldly" state that they personally didn't have any problem with LGBT people and didn't agree with state action against them. They'd still spend most of their time attacking the left, and LGBT activists, for being hysterical on the matter and would take severe umbrage at being called out for supporting conservative leaders. Naturally they've moved on to focusing really hard on "Trans extremism" while still insisting they're personally okay with "good ones."

Basically early era South Park where they "hate conservatives, but really hate liberals."

Remember how they could avoid taking a stand altogether by claiming that they were in favor of eliminating marriage in favor of civil unions for everyone? Even though that was never on the table and pretty much impossible?

Good times.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

lil poopendorfer posted:

No that's a regressive transphobic position. Yet he still supports the rights of transgendered youths to receive appropriate medical treatment, so that's why I don't think he deserves to be labeled a transphobe.

Why the gently caress can’t he support both? Why can’t folks find other reporters who aren’t lovely to follow? Why is this so hard?

Is the value of “owning the libs” really that much more than consistently supporting minorities?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Essentially, particularly in the case of libertarians, professing not to care about LGBT people one way or the other does not make you an advocate, especially when in practice your behavior and words are no different from a conservative's.

I'm reminded that most of the work on LGBT rights was done by the actual advocates while, so far as I can tell, libertarians accomplished nothing in this arena.

Libertarians have accomplished nothing in any arena. Their philosophy is literally that of a parasite - consume and give nothing of value back to the host.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Who would you list as prominent critics of neoliberalism in the mainstream US media?

I’m not sure GG is more fringe than any other journalist in the US, which is more of a reflection of the low awareness/engagement with journalism among the general public than it is of GG’s fringeness. I wouldn’t call him the vanguard of anything either though.

Uh, what? He’s way more fringe than anyone who regularly appears on say, the PBS Newshour or other evening news shows on broadcast tv. Easily.

Or the hosts of Morning Edition or All Things Considered.