Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I'm not sure it's true that video games are the only entertainment you can buy that require you to be good enough to enjoy them fully. Escape rooms are a form of purchased entertainment that requires some degree of skill to complete (varies by escape room, obviously). Depending on how you define "entertainment", you could include things like puzzle books, or jigsaw puzzles. We like to compare video games to passive forms of narrative entertainment because most of them these days have a narrative, but that's not all a game is. A game is a blending of that form of entertainment with skill-based recreation, and there's lots of skill-based recreations where you need to be "good enough" to enjoy them fully. You can't ski down a double black slope unless you're good enough at skiing, you can't make tempered chocolate unless you're good enough at cooking, you can't put a ship in a bottle unless you're good enough at model building. Why is the appropriate comparison for video games to film and books, and not to hobbies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Regarding concerns about only getting an hour a week's playtime, I know you guys might only have an hour or so each week to play this (and if so, ignore me), but if you did have more time I certainly wouldn't object to longer videos if you wanted to have longer play sessions to really stick your teeth into. It's been really enjoyable so far.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Twelve by Pies posted:

What's that shiny white thing in Queen's Station that Nat has been avoiding like the plague? It doesn't look like one of the statues that just gives you soul meter.

This might not be easily visible depending on the video's resolution, but there's a closed gate in front of the shiny white thing, so he can't get it currently, and will need to find another way round. You're right that it's not a soul statue.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
The man is mortal after all!

EDIT: That really was one of the most impressive performances I've ever seen, genuinely, can't believe you did so well.

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Apr 16, 2021

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Making Drinking Water from Hydrochloric acid:
Step 1: Add Lye (Sodium Hydroxide) to neutralise the acid and create salt water.
Step 2: Distill salt water to make drinking water.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Tylana posted:

Yeah, that's how I found it too. I think that is partially intentional placement.

I also love that there are a bunch of dumb skips in this game built off it's basic movement mechanics that the devs intentionally kept in or even added.

I know when I first saw hornet looking down at me from that ledge in Greenpath I was determined to get up there and spent 15 minutes luring the mosquito enemy into juuust the right place so I could pogo off it to reach.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Yes, Tea, I think there's potential here.

Also oof at that fall. Hollow Knight is largely good at being easy to get around, but, or perhaps because, its very annoying when you have to deal with a situation where it isn't.

Yeah it was pretty rough, that. Though it could have been mitigated by simply saving and quitting, which would have returned Nat to the last bench rested at.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
The term sounded really familiar, but I think I was thinking of the Agatha Christie novel Dead Man's Folly, which I presume it's a reference to.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Dareon posted:

A volley, in tennis or other racket sports, is when the players continually whack the ball back and forth.

I think you're thinking of a rally. A volley is a single shot which is returned before it bounces on the ground.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Tenebrais posted:

Legend tells of a mysterious beetle, lurking in every shadow. His only goal to ensure every sign and lamp post in Hallownest is as pristine as the days the great king walked its paths. Most will never catch sight of this reclusive artisan, or ever know he was there, but when they turn their backs for even a moment they will find every broken sign silently replaced without a hint of damage.
This lone legend has a name spoken only in whispers. It does not translate cleanly out of buglish, but the best efforts have translated it to "We're Not Dedicating Memory To Every Destructible You Break, gently caress Off".

I'm pretty sure the truth is that the game is coded to remember everything you break, but the signs don't stay broken properly, due to a bug. :haw:

Regarding Fog Canyon, this is just me guessing, but I suspect The big hole in your map is intended in part to prompt you to go looking for an alternative entrance, in part to make it feel a bit more "endgame", what with it having one of the dreamers, but mostly to push you out of the zone because you need an upgrade from outside Fog Canyon to explore it fully. In most other zones, you find cornifer first, then if the zone needs a particular movement upgrade, later in the zone, you find that powerup that lets you pass barriers in the zone. In Fog Canyon, there is no upgrade, so perhaps if playtesters were getting a map early on, people spent too much time trying to find whatever it was in Fog Canyon that would let them get through the black energy.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Very impressive!

This one's for Tea: It looks like Nat has already bought the Elegant Key, but he walked up to the Elegant Door without getting close enough to realise that it was actually a door he could unlock. I'm guessing that without a hint it's going to be really hard for him to work out where to use it, which seems cruel given what's inside it and Nat's playstyle. Any chance of steering him back there?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Natural 20 posted:

In fairness to MM11, looking back at it, Torchman is just a much more difficult fight than this. Some of it is in the visual coding but largely it's because you're so much more durable in Hollow Knight than Mega Man is in 11.

I think a lot of how well I do is because of how aggressively I go for regeneration whenever I can as well as how much regeneration is possible because of how high my soul gain is. Even if I end up with a net 0 regen, I've still had that much more time to internalise the boss and its mechanics.

Watching back, on a lot of fights I'll teeter near 1/2 HP for a long time until I download the mechanics and end the fight firing hadokens because I've got the capacity.

I'd argue that the latter point about teetering near 1 HP to learn the mechanics--which is unquestionably true about how you play--is essentially the opposite of aggressively going for healing. Having watched a bunch of people play this for the first time, new players will almost always panic and try to heal in the shorter windows where there's just too little time to safely heal. You're much more willing to just focus on dodging and learning until you can identify when it's safe to heal, and then generally remain disciplined about healing only in those windows (not always, but who could expect perfection on your first try!). In that sense you're actually less aggressive about going for healing than most new players, which I think is a large part of your success.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Shitenshi posted:

Regarding the difficulty, I can say the one thing that would bother me if I were playing this game, is the overabundance of spike pits and the need to get over them by timing the parry strikes. To me, it just feels both boring and something akin to those trap iron balls coming out of nowhere like in Soulsborne games. And I get that this game is inspired by that series, but the need to do that often enough still looks generally irritating.

It might be that it's a lot easier and more fun than it looks; almost everyone I've ever seen play this who was not thrilled with the idea of doing spike pogos quickly got very good at it. There's a sort of rhythm to it that makes it juuust challenging enough that you feel cool for having done it, without actually feeling hard. And as mentioned it's completely optional and only used to get collectables, get around faster, and complete an optional area for the secret ending.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Definitely possible with a shade pogo, what you need to do is die and then lure your shade over to the overhang, and then pogo of that for the extra height.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Nat should hopefully have an easier time than most. Being comfortable hanging back and killing stuff with your spells is your best bet for success on that quest.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Cactus posted:

Glad I'm not the only one that completely forgets about howling wraiths because it's given to you too late in the game, well after your internalised moveset has calcified.

I don't think Nat has actually picked that up yet? Might be misremembering.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
While I think Tea's theory is very plausible, I always assumed that the weird thing in the den was Hornet's Chrysalis or cast off-shell from which she was born, since she was half-wyrm

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Shitenshi posted:

I haven't played this game but this thread definitely inspired me to check out more info about it and so uh, about the red shrine activating...Is it related to the Grimm Troupe DLC?

Yes, we'll see the effect next time Nat's back in town.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

SirPhoebos posted:

Especially frustrating when you consider that he's been able to get Isma's Tear since episode 19.

Arguably one of the unintentional downsides of the addition of the Hidden Station. Before the patch, any time you'd go to the ancient basin you'd be likely to traverse the collapsed lift shaft, and be reminded there's an exit to the right in the shaft you can't access, prompting you to loop around to find the entrance in the waterway.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Bifauxnen posted:

One thing I've been wondering, since Tea's mentioned a powerup that lets you go through acid... if you can get to the teacher that way instead, and you don't use the shade cloak, that means you could open the black egg temple and get an ending without ever visiting the Abyss at all?

That seems like it would make the ending feel a lot different, to go in without that perspective. Would it be the same ending? Figure it can't hurt to ask since we're past that point already.

Same ending, and yeah, The Shade Cloak, the King's Brand that gets you into the abyss, and even technically the Monarch Wings are all optional for getting the base ending.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
The main thing which could cause you to miss it is if you reach the Kingdom’s edge before getting the monarch wings, don’t find Hornet’s second boss fight and the King’s Brand as a result, and just never decide to go back and explore that exit on your map.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
OK, I don't care that you're upgraded to the nines, beating the Traitor Lord in three tries is deeply impressive regardless of how much poo poo you've got. Well done Nat.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
The fight with the Hive Knight also alludes to (cut content spoiler) Hornet's original concept as the Daughter of Three Queens, with the idea that she was trained in combat by Hive Queen Vespa, explaining why she's such a fan of aerial attacks and has her barbs attack in Kingdom's Edge, in a similar manner to the three exploding spikes the Knight uses. I dont' think it was ever confirmed that this isn't still true, it just isn't alluded to in the game except in this indirect way.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Black Robe posted:

...and now I need to figure out why this video isn't showing up in my subscription feed. Youtube, stop making GBS threads yourself.

In my feed it shows up 2 days ago, alongside the video for the previous episode. Maybe it was accidentally set public early (since patrons are an episode ahead) before being re-privated, but fixing its place in the youtube timeline.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
The way I think of it, there’s two parts to this game’s post game, the Queen’s Gardens and the White Palace. The Queen’s Gardens serves as the game’s “final” combat challenge, while the white palace is the game’s final platforming challenge.

The issue of not necessarily being able to see obstacles in advance never really bothered me about the white palace. Yes you learn about those obstacles by being hit by them, but for the vast majority of players that’s how you learn about combat challenges too. Chances are you learn that the suicide bugs in the infected crossroads explode by having one run at you and explode; now you know those bugs explode. You dash offscreen and hit into a saw; now you know there’s a saw there. And like, after the palace pulls that trick on you once, you’re primed whenever you’re doing a blind jump like that to expect that you might need to react quickly.

Not trying to say anyone who hated it was wrong, just explaining why none of those issues bothered me.

Question regarding the LP though, is that 30 minute episode Nat’s actual real-time run, or is it edited for time, because if he did that so easily on his first run it’s amazingly impressive.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Magnificent! Zote kicked my rear end hard when I fought him.

Now that you've fought him, and it's no longer spoilers, it's not actually necessary to do the re-fights to unlock the awoken dream nail. The Roots, Warriors and Zote are combined worth 1882 Essence, so you would probably have ended up leaving all the other dream bosses until last, had you rescued Bretta immediately after getting the mantis claw.

EDIT: Also I love Tea complaining that if there's one thing you should have learned by now, it's that you need to pay attention. The minute you walked in that room and Tea said "OK. so..." with a dramatic pause I was literally thinking to myself "Tea, Nat's gonna pick it up if you don't explicitly tell him not to".

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jul 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

The ease with which you’ve sailed through the game never ceases to impress me!

Also, gotta say, for a moment Tea’s sound effects this episode made me wonder if he was working on a particularly challenging poo while watching the stream.