Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I still have my Dekker. The only one of the initial pilots to survive to the end. He's a ways down the depth chart now, though, so I like to think he does administrative work first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

RBA Starblade posted:

It's extremely funny to me his default Centurion lasted that long against what, three lances? He ran out of ammo pretty drat quick there lol

Periphery-made weapons, man...

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The thing about the Panther isn't that it's good, it's that it gets a good gun on the field for very very cheap. Like the Hollander but older.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The Dragon sucks but there is one good thing about it. When you destroy them, you can pull that 300 engine out and put it in something good.

I'm sure there's parts of it you could pull off of them that are valuable.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Siegkrow posted:

What's so great about Orions?

They have a lot of free tonnage to play with and enough hardpoints you can use them to do all sorts of builds.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

General rule of 3025: Speed / Armor / Firepower, choose two.

That's 3050+, in 3025 you only get one and a half.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Damanation posted:

Could someone give me a quick and dirty of what’s what?

In terms of the game, what you need to know is that people started settling space under the auspices of a united Earth government that was more or less what happens when the NATO states form a world government. The really good planets were mostly claimed by nation-states with lots of money to fund space exploration and all the wealth of space started pouring into the Solar system and the worlds around it. From there, we get a divide between the Inner Sphere (worlds close to Terra which are where the majority of people live) and the Periphery (where this game takes place, home to minor powers who never benefitted from investment in their worlds much).

A few centuries after the big space land-rush, people started forming governments, then they fought each other as governments are wont to do. Eventually, the Earth-centric government proposed to the other major powers they form an alliance called the Star League. They decided everyone should be under the Star League so they all got together and forcibly made the Periphery (where we are) join. This conflict is super important, psychologically, to the way people in the Periphery view anything towards Terra (namely, with a lot of suspicion).

A couple centuries go by and the Star League collapses, the Inner Sphere breaks into open war. Advanced technology and manufacturing is largely wiped out for reasons that are more complex than really need to be explained. The net result is that our region is at the bottom of the pecking order in terms of what they have available. Which isn't great for living there but very useful if you want to be a free-wheeling gun-for-hire.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Aces High posted:

I can't remember if this is ever stated in the campaign but what relative year are we in? Are we hanging around 3025?

It's 3025 exactly, but in practice the only thing that's really important is that the Fed-Com Alliance exists, but the 4th Succession War hasn't broken out yet.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

OddObserver posted:

3rd rate (or may be 2.5-rate) power

This has inspired me to make a tier list for powers.

GOD TIER (Banned from tournament play): ComStar, Wolf's Dragoons
TOP TIER: The Great Houses
MID TIER: Magistracy of Canopus, Taurian Concordat, Regional leaders of the Great Houses
LOW TIER: Outworlds Alliance, Circinus Federation, Marian Hegemony
BOTTOM TIER: Aurigan Directorate, independent Periphery worlds, pirate kingdoms, small mercenary units

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

There's no space internet, and they don't run the JumpShips. But they DO control the only reliable means of interstellar communication. They are also the last surviving vestige of the United States, so that's kinda funny.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

AtomikKrab posted:

4. Mechs are now even more valuable (and harder to build and replace.) and become the tools of the entrenched nobility to rule over the masses.

Used to be WarShips, but everyone ran out of those a couple centuries prior so they need to use a much less efficient tool.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

They call them the phone company but it's really more like the mail, right down to it coming once a day, unless you live somewhere really important and then it comes twice

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

JT Jag posted:

Ended up having to delete both Hatchetman files from the SLDF mod to get career mode to start.

edit: My career mode started me in Taurian space, gross, time to gradually work my way over to an area with people I actually care to ally with.

The game knows the SLDF having a hatchetman made no sense, that's why

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

seaborgium posted:

Am I the only one who noticed that it said "Bluth Industries" on the side of the building? It's obviously a model building and they hit a non-load bearing part of it.

The Bluth Corporation is an important manufacturer of industrial mechs, like the Buster. What are you implying, huh?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

seaborgium posted:

I'm saying it's a model building, to show off their prowess and what people can expect if they buy a building from them. Of course model buildings are built slightly differently than what people buy, so they hit a part that was for decoration or demonstration and wasn't load bearing. I didn't accuse them of treason or anything.

Well good, because if you cross them, you're gonna find a GaussBuster plugged into your house and also aiming at your house.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Veloxyll posted:

I'm down with variable spider crime

And the original intent WAS to break the game in as many ways possible...

Aside from injuring Decker, is it actually EVER really worth a DFA?

Not in a Spider, it's not

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

RBA Starblade posted:

I think you can get a SLDF mech with ECM through the black market if you're patient too, can't you? The one added in the final patch?

Wait there's an SLDF mech with ECM? I thought ECM was only on the Raven and Cataphract unless you found the standalone unit.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The Royal Griffin doesn't really need any more buffs, let alone a 1.5 ton ECM suite.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

House Kurita wouldn't need to assassinate him. He's a Drac, the Coordinator would just invite him to visit the palace gardens.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Another thing about the ac2 that isn't reflected in this game is that it's a great anti-air gun. Most of the special ammo types are either extinct or haven't been invented yet, but you can put flat rounds into an AC and slap fighters out of the sky with it.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

We don't even use the Charger, put that on the Dracs where it belongs.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

GhostStalker posted:

The one I can remember from BattleTech that hasn’t been mentioned yet is Apple, and they own a planet in the Fed Suns? Named it Macintosh because the iRevolution hadn’t happened yet when FASA (or was it WizKids?) canonized it. They make computer targeting systems, IIRC. Nissan makes fusion engines too, don’t they?

It was FASA. The planet is from the original Davion sourcebook back in 87. Beyond targeting computers, they also make consumer electronics for the few worlds in the FS that can buy them. You're also right about Nissan, though they build a lot of civilian equipment too.

There's a few others that also exist. Lockheed became Lockheed-CBM and supplies the LC with its best fighters. Ford, Krupp and Caterpillar are still manufacturing heavy machinery in the Terran system. Boeing had an extension in the FS which was nationalized during the fall of the Star League to become Federated Boeing. Harley Davidson and Aston Martin are both still making personal vehicles. Sunbeam got absorbed into the conglomerate that owns Diverse Optics. Bowie Industries went from making heavy farm equipment today to military equipment for the LC in the 31st century and even had a hand in the joint project to build the Mjolnir-class battlecruiser. Weirdly, the Mauser and Gray corporation, which is one of the main small arms companies in the LC, is not a continuation of real-life Mauser but was founded in the 24th century by two guys named Mauser and Gray.

(I actually went through and made a list of these last year)

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

GhostStalker posted:

Almost forgot about (Federated) Boeing, they also exist in Shadowrun and are a fairly important AA megacorp out there in Seattle. Pretty sure I saw mentions of Harley Davidson in one sourcebook or another as well. Oh, and Maersk too, still one of the largest shipping firms in the world, just behind the megacorp that is Wuxing.

Quick lore question, Unity City was basically an outgrowth of the Seattle-Vancouver region, right?

Unity City was built on the opposite side of the Puget Sound from Seattle, looks like about where Port Ludlow is now. It's not an organic outgrowth of a preexisting city, it was built from nothing as a showpiece for the League. Ian Cameron would have had to pave over most of the Olympic National Park based on how big Unity City is described as but Ian Cameron don't give a gently caress what dies if it gets him what he wants (See: Reunification War, The). It's likely that Seattle and Olympia were largely subsumed into supporting Unity City as the seat of government, much like Northern Virginia is to DC today. Also Tacoma was home to the Castle Brian that protected the Court of the Star League, so maybe that's built on top of JBLM?

Generally speaking if something is from Seattle you can bet it's probably very important to BT and Shadowrun. A First Lord went to the University of Washington, and the UW extension campus on Donegal is still one of the top ten universities in human space.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Apr 14, 2021

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

That's anyone who gets killed by a laser, though. You're dead before the nervous impulse can reach your brain.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

It's a Masakari with extra heat sinks, thus eliminating the one opportunity a Masakari might present to actually make a decision.

Victis posted:

Nah you're freaking out while the laser burns through all the head armor and then kills you

No head armor to protect that crowd of people you're spraying a small pulse laser at

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Veloxyll posted:

Why would you ever put ammo in the CT when the legs are right there?

Because BT units weren't designed to be optimal. Mech design has been a solved question since 1991, but the game is more about making do with what you have as it comes apart, not building the perfect min-maxed unit and assuming everyone will be really impressed you thought to combine Gauss rifles with PPCs.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Unbalancing a mech when you change the number of tons or crits in a section is a possible result. It's less likely the better tech crew you have and the better facilities you have available. The construction rules where you can move stuff around however are for designing and building a whole unit from scratch, not remodeling an existing one.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

berryjon posted:

And even then with Omnis, there were certain 'preferred' configurations that required less work to pull off than Custom Build #435738.

Yeah, if you do custom work someone still has to figure out where to run all the cables, feeds and poo poo. If you use a standard config, someone's already done that.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Aces High posted:

You mean we shouldn't mod our Timber Wolves to have 4 PPCs like in the Mechwarrior 2 intro?!

I mean if you want to be loving boring

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Star League's success was also their undoing. In order to keep power they had to limit human expansion, the Star League's "explorer corps" (which was responsible for charting new habitable planets) essentially started loving up possible colony worlds in a huge swath to make sure they'd be beholden to the Star League's proprietary terraforming technologies. Needless to say, this pissed off a lot of burgeoning minor powers that had been developing around the edges of the Great Houses.

The League's central planning office also set up most of these distant worlds with ultra-specialized economies so they were just like... Planet Boot. That way everyone is too dependent on exports and imports to rock the boat. When the ships stop coming, though, everyone starves.

I think you're overstating the impact of the Terran Hegemony on the foundation of the Great Houses, though (and not just because the FWL predates the Hegemony). The Hegemony WAS an agent to uphold that power structure, but that's not until the later parts of the Age of War, where they start playing mediator and trying to uphold the status quo, such as when they showed up to stall for time until Robert Steiner's reinforcements could show up and save him.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 7, 2021

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

TheParadigm posted:

Did the IS have anything even CLOSE (even in secret projects) within that timeframe in the whole like 2700-3025 range?

Almost all "Clan" technology is actually cutting-edge SLDF weapon projects that the Clans put into mass production in the mid-2800s, so kind of. 1-ton large lasers, half-weight LRM racks, two-crit DHS, all things the SLDF was just about to start prototyping when Amaris attacked. They closest they come to a real development of their own is BA

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

MechaCrash posted:

There's also the fact that everyone realized that blowing up industrial capacity was a good way to kneecap opponents, and by the time anybody looked up from their orgy of conquest and destruction and said "but wait, does anybody remember how to put this poo poo back together when we're done," it was too late and the answer was no. Plus when Kerensky left, he took a lot of the rad tech and the people who knew how to make it with him, so it's not like it'd take a lot of bombing to sweep the crumbs left behind into the trash.

How much of it is because of that and how much of it is because of the spoilered thing, however, I couldn't say, and I wouldn't be surprised if whoever's running the setting now is deliberately vague about it to give themselves future wiggle room.

We have a timeline now that shows most advanced technology dragged along until midway through the 2nd Succession War (ERLLs were in production as late as 2950) so I think recovery WAS possible. It's no coincidence that the end of most advanced technology ties in with HOLY SHROUD.

Rorahusky posted:

Yeah. With the exception of BA and the Omnimech, the Clans were mostly just about refining tech to its peak performance rather than trying to make new tech. It wasn't until they invaded the Inner Sphere and got roflstomped by Comstar that they realized they should start developing /new/ technology instead of just refining better versions of old.

The OmniMech itself is an improvement to the Mercury, far more than BA is an improvement to exoskeletons. I give them half-credit for that one.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 19:36 on May 8, 2021

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

MechaCrash posted:

The lack of orbital bombardment is because the Ares Conventions, which serve the same sort of purpose as the Geneva Conventions, have "orbital bombardment" specifically on the list of things you can't do.

The Ares Conventions (and the Geneva Conventions, while you're at it) haven't been a thing since the Star League was founded. It's just good old fashioned MAD and people wanting to own the things they're fighting over, not burn them to ash.

The Ares Conventions also don't prohibit orbital bombardment. They prohibit orbital bombardment of civilian targets. Under the Ares Conventions, you can bombard anything you want as long as it's "an important military target."

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 21:16 on May 13, 2021

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

They usually shuffled low level people between stations to make sure nobody got too friendly with local governments. You only get to stay at one post a long time once you're high up in the ranks and your loyalty is considered absolute.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

fennesz posted:

Sorry I was too vague. I meant modern flying drones. I fully accept the "because it's not a cool as hell walking 'mech" as reason for not having them :v:

BattleTech is a universe where technology went in a different direction. Computers are big and inefficient, power generation and storage are tiny and incredibly powerful. That kind of miniaturized computer control doesn't exist.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Were I the GM in that situation, I would have had ComStar come and buy you out, like they did with Brion's Legion, rather than stick to my guns and kill the party. Since you were clearly interested in using Star League tech to crush outmatched units, 1st Division would have been a great fit for that team.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Have Primus Tiepolo show up and say things like "Prepare the battlefield... FOR MASSACRE!!!"

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

He was also the second choice to play Amos Burton on the Expanse, and since he didn't get that part he had some extra time.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Everyone is smarter than House Cameron. Those idiots were just lucky Albert Marik existed.

brb working on new AU, no Albert Marik

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

goatface posted:

I think it's the way she storms in going "You have no idea what you've just done!". I guess that's just her talking about the war with the Taurians going public and hot, but it sounds a lot like a "forces beyond our ken will be unleashed!" line. Like you just blew up a ship full of proto-wobbies who'd been using that prison camp to test out neural interface technologies, hence the people with broken brains.

The Taurians are so far beyond the Aurigans in power they might as well be the SLDF. That guy has three times the military as the entire Aurigan army and he's just one officer.