Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Acerbatus posted:

If they are, it's not happening now.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

The Book Of Heroes singleplayer missions that I've tried were so boring that I haven't even gotten around to doing all of them for the free cards, but I've got to say, the new Book Of Mercenaries singleplayer thing for Warrior is a great improvement. You get some fun OP original cards to play around with, and I like having the choice between different hero powers for each battle. I still really just want something else that's as good as Dungeon Run though and I'd happily pay $10-$15 for it.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

gandlethorpe posted:

https://playhearthstone.com/en-us/news/23665634/20-2-patch-notes

Vol'jin looks interesting. I'm curious how it would work with the game's UI.

Devs on reddit confirmed it's new technology (that sounds so ridiculous to type out) that lets you select two different things. Also that it indeed works on shop minions which seems really strong!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

No Wave posted:

I'll always remember Jade Druid for this. It was crazy.

There were a lot of frantic cards being played as the rope ticked down and bad decisions being made during the Grim Patron days, too. Fond memory

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Last King posted:

well thank god blizz is finally removing barrens blacksmith from bgs... finally good balance will be achieved!

Blacksmith is really swingy though and blood gems can kind of make it worse. It was kind of a god roll but I went Sun Bacon->upgrade->Toki hero power the other day in a game and had a 4/6 Blacksmith on turn 2 and just rolled poo poo from there. It's also a nasty early Reno hero power target in my experience

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

How is Vol'Jin? I haven't managed to roll him yet but that seems like a really cool design. Hard to tell how strong it is though

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I hadn't played Rogue at all since I picked the game back up recently for the first time in years, but I bought the battle-ready deck and man, Secret Rogue is a blast. Feels like you have lots of options as early as turn 2 sometimes, and seems reasonably strong too

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Tin Tim posted:

PSA: You don't need to play these quests in ranked or in a serious manner at all!

Pick whatever class has the most x spells(or minion types etc depending on the daily), chuck all the cheap ones into a deck, and fill the rest with card draw. Oracles, novice, loot, class draw cards, whatever. Then just go into casual and play a bunch of cards before you die/concede. Usually you should be done in one try. Sucks if you happen to only have one shadow spell but I would assume some spells in the basic priest/warlock cards are shadow??

Yeah, Duels is great for that too, especially if you don't have much of a collection. Your starting deck isn't UNIMPORTANT, but it's not a big deal and you can still coast to a few wins just putting whatever cards you want in there.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

mcbexx posted:

The video doesn't have close captioning enabled, so if I may, I can translate:

Everytime Kibler says "Mhh hmm" or "Yup", what he actually means is "Oh gently caress that guy. Holy poo poo how is this possible. I hate this game so much."

Lol he's like the Buddha. Incredible.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Coming back to the game after not playing for years, the rewards track is great. I don't even mind spending money on the game and I've bought a couple shop deals, but I want to feel like I'm making SOME progress towards a collection while playing, and the old system barely felt like I was chipping away at it. Between that and duplicate protection it feels like Hearthstone has gone from a pretty miserable monetization model to a mostly reasonable one.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I went for the big golden bundle and have a shitload of dust burning a hole in my pocket but I'm telling myself I really shouldn't craft anything until the mini-set comes out. I opened almost everything I need for Rush Warrior though so I'm kind of tempted to give it a shot. What's the best list going around? I see some with ETC some without.

goferchan fucked around with this message at 02:49 on May 26, 2021

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I didn't realize XP requirements lowered once you hit level 101+ on the rewards track. 50 gold per level didn't sound like much but it rolls in pretty quickly

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Don't care if it's good, that evolve shaman deck is exactly the stupid high-roll poo poo I play Hearthstone for.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's pretty funny they had a bundle in the store with a cool Shaman hero and 5 packs containing all Shaman cards and then took it down the day Shaman became fun to play again

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Lister posted:

I got an email to do a blizzard survey and they're asking about the effectiveness of marketing copy. I think it includes details on the mercenaries mode that haven't been released yet.

They also had questions about celebrities or influencers that might be a good fit for an endorsement. Mr T, Rick and Morty, Henry Cavill, and Deepfuckingvalue were all options.

Lmao the wallstreetbets gamestop guy? What the gently caress?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

gandlethorpe posted:

I'm excited that it's the most groundbreaking mechanic introduced possibly in the history of the game. What was the last one that significantly changed the UI, discover? Even that had Tracking as a predecessor.

Vol'Jin in Battlegrounds has a hero power that lets you select two different minions. Sounds stupidly simple but could honestly enable a ton of new card functions in the main game

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

When I started playing the game again last expansion after breaking for years, Duels felt like a great way to knock out quests when I didn't have poo poo for cards. I appreciate that the option's there.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Otoh as a F2P player, this past year is the first time I've been able to put together more than 1-2 standard decks.

Yeah I still wouldn't call it cheap to get a big collection together but it's a huge improvement over when I last played a few years ago. I'd imagine the duplicate protection helps out with that a lot.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Pretty decent Duels turn 1

(Battlecry cards cost 1 less, first battlecry card each turn draws a card and reduces its cost by 2, and the signature treasure that adds totems to your hand and reduces their cost by 2)

goferchan fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jul 13, 2021

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Amoeba102 posted:

Special quest for Noz today that is instead of your normal daily. At least it's 1500 xp.

Mine is 1800

edit: oh, that's probably the tavern pass, huh?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Discover a combo card, costs one less seems like the very obvious and then obviously OP rogue design lol

edit: battlecry could be a more fun/wide pool though

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Lmao I love some of these cards

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

GTO posted:

It's even worse isn't it? 50% of the time it makes a card more expensive which can wreck your game plan in the early turns.

Yeah I think it's basically a "read the fine print" joke

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Persistent Peddler
Deathrattle: Summon a Persistent Peddler from your deck

Really clever use of the tradable tag!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

That new rogue spell (Garrote?) is really good but I'm already annoyed thinking about drawing three Bleeds and two Mankirk's Wifes off of a Secret Passage lol

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Hadn't really thought about it before but I guess Tradable is a support mechanic for "casts when drawn" stuff. Gives you more chances to trigger it without having to be cost and balanced as something that gives you card advantage

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Amoeba102 posted:

Ah yes, UiS quests are now in the pool. If only I had tradeable cards to play right now.
To reroll a 1K or to hold it a week. I'll probably hold, but w/e.

New cards are in Duels buckets (but not Arena) if you want to really grind it out. Also transfer student gets Tradable on the new board

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Yeah Runeterra's really good. I got sick of the meta during a particularly rough patch and haven't played in months but I know I'm going to eventually pick it up again

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

jeff posted:

Has anyone finished the priest quest? This seems impossible.

Opened a golden one and got it in literally my first game after the expansion came out, and never again. Made my day that the dude sat around for a turn and let me cast it and didn't concede

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Sir Lemming posted:

Just unpacked the Paladin questline :sigh:

Don't suppose anyone's been dominating with that?

It's kind of a highroll deck, when you hit First Day Of School and complete the quest as fast as possible it can go off, but if it takes you an extra turn, that usually makes the difference between winning and losing. It's ok!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

There's probably less of a risk of it now that a whole new expansion's come out since then but if you're looking at Duels lists online, ignore anything that's older than like...... July of this year, I think? Before a patch around that time it was really easy to force certain synergistic passive treasures to appear by heavily weighting your starting deck towards them, and basically every deck was built to take advantage of that, so like a bunch of 0-attack minions to force the "Your minions attack is equal to their health" treasure for example. Now I think there's still some synergy involved with passive treasures where it will make sure they're at least a little relevant to your deck before offering them, but there's more variance now and you're much more likely to end up with a dead deck if you use something that counts on getting a certain treasure.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Shwqa posted:

Fire emblem is a least controllable. This seems like you just put your hero in a team and let fate take the wheel.

Auto battler work because the strategy involved with setting up the team. Usually F2p just have more stats equals win. And the way to more stats is pay money.

The video was terrible but they do a fine job explaining on the site and it honestly sounds pretty fun. Hate that it's got a booster pack model though.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Strawberry Panda posted:

If they cram them all into the Hearthstone app then everyone with Hearthstone already installed will have it already. Hence they don't need to convince you to install something new to try it and get you hooked. They can just give you a couple lovely boosters and tie rewards in Standard to having to play mercenaries.

Yeah the league of legends autobattler did this and really took off and I think a lot of people noticed.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Strawberry Panda posted:

Can't tell if this is sarcastic or legitimate cause I don't know anything about League outside of legends of runeterra from six months ago.

Lol, probably says something that I couldn't even remember the name of the game when I posted this last night (it's Teamfight Tactics) but no, while it's certainly leveled off in popularity it really was big for a while and stayed near the top of Twitch charts for several months. Last I heard there are still a ton of players but most of them are concentrated in Asia which may be why you don't hear about it much anymore. It's an autochess game that launched in the LoL client much like Hearthstone Battlegrounds and took off with a bunch of big LoL streamers at the time.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Dr Christmas posted:

I got the tavern pass reward for having a 6 month WoW subscription, and I’m slightly miffed that I had gotten Varian instead of any other legendary from a pack before getting the diamond version.

You were able to get a full dust refund on pack-opened copies of Varian for this reason, but unfortunately I think it was just for the first week or two after the expansion.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Chernabog posted:

My best party ignores most synergies and just goes for standalone strong mercs. Incidentally I only run Grom as my only Legendary.

I think it's intentional that you can't just slap together a balanced party of 6 mercs that that all synergize perfectly together. Like, Demons and Murlocs both have strong tribal effects, but there are no Murlocs in red and no Demons in blue so unless you just want to skip out on covering those types (which might honestly be fine in PVP but probably is not advisable in bounties, double damage is too good to ignore) you've got to reach a little to flesh out the rest of your team.

Overall impressions: I'm like one quest away from finishing the Barrens and I can say I like the mode more than I thought I would, but I'm wary of its staying power and what the endgame will be like. I had very low expectations for it at first but I was surprised at how much it feels like some of the most fun parts of Hearthstone when you're calculating effect triggers and interactions and looking for creative ways to pull of lethal in a pinch.

There are some really glaring QoL/UI issues which I'd assume would be a quick fix if this were any other game, but given Blizzard's track record I'm not super hopeful. Biggest ones to me are not being able to view enemy "cards" with all their abilities and cooldowns during battle (it seems like some boss enemies break the rules a little bit and operate differently, which is fine, you can hide those) and not being able to inspect your merc stats and abilities when you're choosing a treasure after a battle. Both of these issues can be alleviated by memorization or using outside resources, but they really shouldn't have to be, especially in a brand new game mode that already throws a considerable amount of complexity on the table.

I do think Blizzard missed a golden opportunity by not finding some way to make the game interact with your existing card collection, and I'm not just saying that because I want it to be cheaper to play. Lots of people have been playing Hearthstone for years and a big part of that loyalty doesn't just come from love of the game, but from attachment built up over time to their card collection, and even if it were just something small and stupid like new skins or a handful of coins unlocked for mercs you own a Hearthstone card of, giving it any kind of connection to the main game would make the whole thing feel more cohesive.

edit: Oh yeah, and I know the "beta" label is kind of meaningless and arbitrary, but I'm surprised to see this launched as a "full release" while Battlegrounds had the beta label slapped on it for god knows how long. The iOS Hearthstone client has been really good for quite some time but I'm getting fairly regular crashes playing this on phone, and a couple times I've been locked in menus on both phone and PC with no buttons except the friends list one working and I've had to force quit and restart. For all of Hearthstone's general issues you usually at least can expect a very high level of polish, and this mode is short on that.

goferchan fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Oct 14, 2021

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Padical posted:

You can control who on your team wins a tie by choosing their ability first.

You sure about that? I could be mistaken but I'm pretty sure that's not always been the case for me, you may have just been getting lucky with 50/50s.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Mayveena posted:

Can anyone explain why doing tasks (and thereby going to The Barrens and retiring) is the way to power level your teams? Thanks.

Like from a game design perspective? Probably because it's unintended and letting players progress for free faster than they planned lol. Watch them drop a hotfix to limit the mysterious stranger event to one per day, I give it by the end of the weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Recent Blizzard market research has shown that players can't get enough of the new character "Heroic Air Elemental", and next week's patch will add a new hero skin, Battlegrounds tavernkeeper, and card back to the shop featuring the lovable little guy.

edit: Wonder if in earlier designs Mercenaries (at least on Heroic quests?) had some kind of energy system or entry fee? Thank god they got rid of that at least. Thinking this based on the warning you get when you do a heroic run that you won't be able to change your party after starting a run

goferchan fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Oct 17, 2021