Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
fundamentally relieved that they didn't go with that new theme song by Har Mar Superstar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I've missed this but I'm assuming he's finally being outed for being a weird creep to women?

yep:

https://m.startribune.com/minneapolis-singer-of-har-mar-superstar-fame-offers-deep-apology-for-misconduct/600038691/

basically,

Sivart13 posted:

hard to imagine any sex pestery coming from a guy who would yank out his pubes and scatter them over the crowd

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
perhaps because they are famous gamers people just assume they use the words

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Hustle Hound posted:

it was on taz

little need to worry about audiences hearing it then got em

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

grittyreboot posted:

I ran into the same problem when I ran my first homebrew campaign.

it sucks to see him work out his rookie mistakes on a public stage, for him and the audience. Griffin had some experience and is/has been a professional writer.

Rude Tales of Magic did an entire campaign off-mic before even trying to do a podcast. but I can't imagine they'd have had time for Travis to do the same thing

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

scopes posted:

Travis is actually a pretty competent and funny improvisor when he's on

seaborgium posted:

Travis just wouldn't let stuff happen.

yeah, exactly. even in the beginning, when they were doing the module, Griffin said something like "you weren't supposed to get [to the caves] until level 5." Travis asked if they'd messed things up, and he said "no, absolutely not."

Travis's style might not work for any kind of structured game, which, like... all the better. play some weird poo poo. play a series of minigames. play a stream-of-consciousness game. use Troika! rules. (scholar's disclaimer: I have never actually played Troika!.)

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Warbird posted:

Boy I hope they move back to DnD for the next campaign.

:lol:

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
AfterMASH, but it's the Tres Horny

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Democratic Pirate posted:

A Magic Tavern setting where the boys are successful and retired adventurers giving adventuring and life advice to new heroes while also trying to profitably operate a restaurant with limited profit margins thats owned by 4 family members would be good as hell.

I just remembered that everybody except Griffin has been on HftMT

edit:

I mean, literally everybody

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
to just reiterate a thread I made last year in the GBSest forum:

Dragonlance sucks. I don't want to read an unedited account of someone's campaign.

:smaug:

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
PFT is a national treasure

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
my god... it's full of hairs

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

fadam posted:

The latest Report This Post is on the McElroy brothers and a solid half of the episode are Travis posts and apologies for the posts.

https://soundcloud.com/reportthispost

I'm reporting this one

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I for one am looking forward to listening to and appreciating these trenchant witticisms, these downright Wildean bons mots

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
it's as if one of the hosts is Paul Lynde (but not gay!) and the other is Groucho Marx (but not Jewish!)

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
[pitching to Headgum]

it's 2002 GBS... but a podcast. :grin:

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Marsupial Ape posted:

The Kentucky Colonels of Truth

excellent name

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
we took the "better with two" lyric as a veiled jab at Travis, but no

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
a friend of mine spent some time in a monastery. (he was fleeing criminal charges, but eventually returned and got sentenced to house arrest, except at the monastery. monastery arrest.)

at the time, the monks kept egg chickens. said chickens were free-range and treated well and fed good food. nonetheless, PETA protested the operation so loudly and constantly that the monks shut down all egg production, leaving their former customers to buy grocery-store eggs from the giant corporate egg farmers who treat their chickens like poo poo.

anyway, that's what I think about Twitter.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Hustle Hound posted:

i didn't listen to the episode but i heard actually he said they were only doing DnD 5e from now until the end of time because, and i quote "us mcelroys never learn any lessons about anything." i also heard they're cancelling the run of the balance graphic novels to start adapting graduation as soon as possible

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I would argue that "you're right and we're on the same side, but here's a long account of how you're actually wrong" is high Twitter energy, but the tone was too thoughtful. you're right in that they're ideologues, but I suggest comparing my stance with... I don't know, something about Karl and Ilse Koch.

meanwhile... Farm Wisdom? sending a horse to college? keeping a glass shark captive in a swimming pool? I bet that according to PETA, these brothers are canceled

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
Griffin has been a Patreon supporter of Rude Tales of Magic from the jump. I got pwned by a deadpan Branson Reese joke

nthing RToM as the best RPG podcast. I loved Balance, but everything Reese does is just loving phenomenal.

Empty Sandwich fucked around with this message at 17:49 on May 14, 2021

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

seaborgium posted:

Vampire Werner Herzog is worth another shot. And the Rude Talks they do for other stuff like Looney Tunes and Sense and Sensibility are also amazing, and are on the Patreon only so it's still worth it. Even the regular Patreon episodes are worth it.

his deadpan Herzog lines kill me.

all of their extra content is phenomenal. here's a screenshot from the last live show, right after Branson Reese said he was going to consult the DMG to see if the characters could do something:

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
scalawags, scrags, and... uh, scag

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

an excellent metacommentary on Yahoo by Yahoo

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
MBMBA Tyler the Creator

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I listened to the thing.

it's compelling radio, despite the fact that they're coming up with things to draw.

everybody says interesting stuff, and I'm curious to see how it all shakes out.

this is the most tepid-sounding endorsement, but I was trepidatious and now am not as much.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Colonel Whitey posted:

I gotta disagree about it being compelling, it feels like listening to a brainstorming session in a writer’s room.

that's fair too. I talk a bunch about campaign/game design with a couple of friends, so it's a special area of interest for me. and I liked the first TAZ episode. and I'd like to listen to a brainstorming session in a writer's room.

Varinn posted:

i mean players are also creating a world piece by piece when they play too?

tabletop games aren't video games, everything is created as you go

but also this. it's clearer on the one hand in Rude Tales, where there are set pieces but the players' improv leads to actual changes in the world. or in Hello from the Magic Tavern, where everything is improv but it begins canon. or in reverse with Graduation, maybe.

I like being able to see the thing getting built, but I can also see how this would be dry as hell for someone who wants to hear D&D.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

dantheman650 posted:

If there's a monster, your goal is to kill it.

or chat with it, bluff it, befriend it, ignore it, flee from it, any number of other things.

dantheman650 posted:

If there's a villain, your goal is to prevent them from carrying out their plans.

or join with them, or ignore the plans, etc.

dantheman650 posted:

If there's a problem, your goal is to solve it.

or exacerbate it, or ignore it, etc.

I think you're thinking of Dragon's Lair.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

dantheman650 posted:

I was just giving a few examples. The main point was you know which one you're trying to do and I don't for A Quiet Year.

I'd argue that the goal is to have fun, whatever that means, within an agreed-upon set of rules. in game terms, the goal is to make an RPG background. I think we might just be operating from slightly different definitions of game, though.

the writeup is neat:

https://buriedwithoutceremony.com/the-quiet-year

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
Paul F Tompkins is a national treasure

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Colonel Whitey posted:

Ain’t it true. Get him on mbmbam

gently caress yeah. I'm kind of surprised they haven't. he's the Mayor of Podcasts

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Wasabi the J posted:

Dude looks like both Mythbusters.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
ok

I am v much enjoying Mission: Imp Hospital

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Acute Grill posted:

I genuinely like Montaigne so this isn't meant as a dig against the new theme song, but it is weird that the portion they use has "it's better with you / it's better with two" for a podcast featuring three brothers.

a couple people made this joke about Travis

then they immediately got rid of Griffin for a couple weeks

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
the Hello from the Magic Tavern theme is great

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I'm having a good time listening to the world-building stuff, but I get that it's not for everybody

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
why I do believe we've got coral golems