Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

the pumpkin question in this episode is goddamn gnarly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Escobarbarian posted:

I had no idea there was such a McElroy-related shitstorm happening right now lmao

I haven’t listened to any of Graduation but the excerpts from the Vice article really do make it sound like Travis is indulging the worst impulses I can imagine. As much as performative wokeness claims are thrown around too much by the right Travis is absolutely one of the people where the criticism is accurate. I don’t hate him but he shouldn’t be allowed so much control over anything lol

how can you not know there's a mcelroy shitstorm when this thread and its predecessor self-destructs every two weeks over people being unable to stop posting about how much they hate travis

e: justin's remarks in the vice article are on point. i don't think graduation has been good but the fervor with which people post about travis on social media makes me uncomfortable.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 30, 2021

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Entropic posted:

Mission to Zyxx is really good, but those are professional improv people, I think the bros need some kind of structure to build on.

It's also pretty heavily edited (complete with them sometimes doing multiple takes) to make sure it's a coherent product. Not something you could do with random dice rolls.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

C-Euro posted:

TAZG finale trip report: it was aight. I liked Justin's ending in particular, and it's very funny that Travis not only made Griffin roll during his epilogue, but that he rolled a crit failure to live the rest of his life under paranoid stress. See you all in a month or two for the next round of bellyaching.

just out of curiosity, would it be possible to get a summary of the fates of the main cast?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

i do hope the brothers listen to mission to zyxx because, even if zyxx's particular style is too much for an actual play podcast, the general world and its dumb, comedic approach to sci-fi tropes is really excellent.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Entropic posted:

I think Justin has actually guested on Zyxx at some point.

yeah, i think he was a turtle... man? not a super memorable appearance but relatively fun

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

so, is justin, travis, or clint the big coral-headed automaton?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

it's a little dry (especially with the 6.5 minute exposition dump at the start, jesus christ griffin) but much better than i expected it to be. i'll be interested in how the next few rounds of "a quiet year" go and how the elements inform the eventual campaign

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

the intro is basically “this is a climate change allegory. humanity’s done hosed itself from overusing magical fossil fuels,” which isn’t a bad starting point to learn how we got under the sea, tbqh

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Tears In A Vial posted:

lmao i just got to the bit of ethersea where they reveal that the map we're looking at is two different maps, one for the sea and one for the land, and that the sea is to the left of the land in 'real life', but they have put the maps the other way round for some reason on the screen.

oh.

ooooooooooohhhhh.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Xander B Coolridge posted:

Sarah Z just uploaded a 2 hour video on how the "internet turned on the McElroys"

I'm assuming this is intentionally hyperbolic/clickbait. Kind of interested in watching but I have a paper due and if this is about some Twitter spat or that recent TAZ ad I won't be surprised

Putting aside the enormous weight Sarah Z puts on the material at the top (I'm not sure I could characterize the last year as "the collapse of the McElroy Empire"), it's a fairly comprehensive history of the McElroys and a series of relatively uncontroversial takes. I don't think anyone here will disagree with the emphasizing the parasocial nature of their fandom or TAZ: Graduation's... issues. The most controversial thing about the video is probably her take on Travis, which basically comes out to, "He can be frustrating (and Graduation is unambiguously bad) but the level of vitriol directed against him is gross."

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

i like ol’ joshy and biggest baby. that’s my mcelroy take

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Episode was pretty dire. I have no memory of the ad. Have no idea why an isolated sound clip going viral is funny when that’s something that happens all the time. Have decreasing levels of patience for the filler that is Munch Squad, especially now that it’s every week and more and more banal.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Sep 1, 2021

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

this thread is bad enough without me having to pretend to care about whatever chapo and its fans are doing in the 2021st year of our lord

anyways, i thought that TAZ episode was pretty solid. enjoyed urchin. thought the team dynamic was pretty fun and am looking forward to hearing how they deal with the huge, lovely clam.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Very fun episode, though I'm hoping there are permanent consequences for Amber, Divo, and Zoox's extremely reckless approaches to problem-solving.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

flavor.flv posted:

I hope they do not, at least not until the very last episode or something.

I want there to be nothing to discourage this behaviour

oh, i don't want them to stop

i just want all of them to be extremely hosed up by etherwater by the end of the show

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Travis’s whole thing works surprisingly well this season. Even dig the accent

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

latest ethersea episode is basically set in a level of the video game Hitman lol

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

i appreciate how griffin completely invalidated all fan art on two of the three main characters lol

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Bip Roberts posted:

I don't follow taz fan art or really any part of taz fandom but what happened?

oh, it’s nbd really. a lot of the fan depictions of the trio before this episode tended to depict them with very fishy features—with devo specifically having cat whiskers and poo poo due to the plague that went around during the prologue.

this episode states explicitly that the fish features only afflicted a fraction of the population and that none of the main characters had it—until they accidentally brought the plague back and infected the entire undersea colony with it. devo gets some gross throat fins and Amber gets enormous fish eyes and they’ll presumably get more fish poo poo the longer the crisis goes unresolved

Bip Roberts posted:

Also the giant plankton in a tank is basically voidfish 2.0.

The plankton is almost certainly dead given the plague broke through

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

i hate to abort the angry mob while people are getting out their torches and pitchforks but that ain’t travis

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

mission to zyxx has the only tolerable ad reads imho

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

i don’t live in the Huntington area and know little about WV politics but im not sure why anyone should be mad about the move if Syndee has a better platform that the current officeholder

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

the ravenous was with which this thread devours any suggestion of discord among these people is extremely weird and off-putting

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

one day, god willing, someone will manage to make a funny post in this thread.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

i could hear the cogs in their brains turning as they tried to figure out how aggressive they could be during the catholic sainthood segment lmao

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

I really like Devo as a character but I sometimes I do wonder how self-aware Travis is about his own character and how misdirected and impotent his rage is

Also love the murder mystery angle. I doubt this is the direction they're going in but my first thought was that the target here is the Council and not Guidance specifically, with the institution going from six people to basically just Kodeira and Hermine. Would be a great opportunity for a coup if someone wanted to pull it.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

jeeves posted:

Yeah, I wish her the best when running as anything other than the almighty “R” that people in a place like West Virginia will vote for regardless of name or personality or horribleness behind that team designation.

The current officeholder for District 26 is a Democrat. The district is highly competitive, with the 2020 race being 50.6-49.4

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

the griffin “don’t make your d&d bad guy an unknowable, ancient hive mind from another world” mcelroy challenge

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

i only listened up to the ad break but the toxicity between the main characters and the complete absence of jokes is making ethersea hard to listen to

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

i don't really care about them going bi-weekly. i just don't think that the campaign, as they've built it, is at a natural end point. devo, in particular, seems to have regressed over the last few weeks

e: i guess they could all die in four episodes which would be p lol

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

if you want to project your weird baggage onto my post, go ahead. i was literally just listening to the first half during lunch and tired on Devo and Amber sniping at each other. it’s not fun to listen to.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

feel like that natural one on that random event table and griffin making the crew the saviors of the city kind of demolished any hope of this staying as a small stakes story about contractors doing jobs

also think Justin needs a break from podcasting in general because he seems very zoned out and disinterested 95 percent of the time

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

i wish they would stop trying to be critical role bc i don't think the mcelroys do serious, grounded drama well.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

i will say that the absolute funniest part of these last few episodes has been the fact that clint literally just forgor 💀 to tell anyone about the blink shark prophecy and never communicated to anyone about his encounter

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

did devo become an edgy, atheist pope on a mission to kill god or something

somehow the solution to the murder mystery is both extremely obvious and also completely inexplicable

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jul 28, 2022

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

adventurer, educator, sea pope, dimension hopper, god hunter and an heir to a long-assumed-dead founder of founder’s wake—how does devo le main find time for it all?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

please don't insult the majesty that is kingdom hearts

ethersea's problems can be connected to griffin being unable to keep things small scale + griffin's insatiable desire to split the party + devo being a truly abhorrent character + justin losing interest and checking out some time during the cambria arc + thousands of words of exposition that no one asked for + the entire group forgetting how to tell a joke

clint was good as always though.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

amnesty had occasional moments of levity but the trend across the seasons has been to go for less humor and more serious and grounded drama

like, i doubt you would ever get a town composed of tom bodetts in ethersea (though we did get a dr. shaq)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

complaining about people's names continues to be the most old man yelling at cloud activity imaginable