Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

eke out posted:

i like that we're months in and they've literally never rolled any good one on that table lol (tho urchin was only very minorly bad)

I like that Travis really really tried to make Urchin a part of the crew and productive and Griffin just wouldn't let him at all. Urchin just eats your poo poo, he is not a good helpful boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

more falafel please posted:

It's much better than last year, but I still wish they had stuck with Twenty-Rendezvous: A Night To Remember. I want to see the prom themed live shows

When Griffin came up with it initially as Twenty-Rendezvous: Good Evening I genuinely laughed out loud a d I'm still not quite sure why. Just really tickled me.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

There's at least one UK podcast I stopped listening to because the host clearly didn't give a gently caress where the Acast adverts went in as long as they did. Like, on at least one occasion I'm pretty sure it happened between a question and an answer - not in a cliffhanger way, just jammed into a live recording. I get people need to get paid but I just couldn't be bothered with it.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I really liked Amber just staying out of all of it until she absolutely HAD to do something. Justin seems to get a handle on his characters really quickly I think.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Sankis posted:

Not so much a tabletop thing as other roleplaying thing but It's even better when people expect other player's characters to abide by high persuasion rolls

The Alien RPG has a mechanic where if anyone fails a contested Manipulation test they either have to do as the winner asks or they can attack them instead. Not suitable for every game system but absolutely works in the context of Alien.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Bip Roberts posted:

Are there ads for mbmbam on the other maxfun podcast?

I've heard an occasional one on the flop house so I assume they're across the network. But they're not very common unlike ones for doctor gameshow or heat rocks.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

kdrudy posted:

I've definitely heard ads for other McElroy podcasts on Greatest Generation, I don't think I've ever heard a MBMBaM ad though.

Greatest generation has the worst ads. I'm sure I'd like it but there's self deprecating and there's whatever the gently caress those guys are doing

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Elliot's stupid songs on that old ad are the reason I gave The Flop House a chance.

Their online fan base makes the McElory one look like pleasant, relaxed folks. They can and will tell you to kill yourself.

Really? The official Facebook group seems pretty well moderated and kicks people out for being poo poo heads. I've found it pretty decent.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

I want a statement from Cherry Poppin’ Danny by the end of the week, or I’m cancelling

You should send in a letter

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

The Modern Leper posted:

https://twitter.com/stereogum/status/1496847573369434114

No lie, despite the Eurovision stuff, I'd very much Montaigne as some type of SoundCloud/Etsy-level musician that the brothers had come across. Good for Montaigne!

She very much seems like someone that a record company really wanted to be a properly famous pop act who then decided on her own "nah, gonna do whatever weird poo poo I feel like, peace out".

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Froghammer posted:

Travis "Can I please make a Diplomacy check mid-combat' McElroy

Near enough every single combat they ever have Travis is always trying to do off the wall poo poo.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Sankis posted:

you'd never guess its the old dude in a line up of all the mcelroys but clint is absolutely the wild card in TAZ and it rules

hope we get a death this TAZ

After Travis admitted to falsifying some rolls in Balance I genuinely wonder how many times he could have bought it in that arc

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

What if each episode gets longer any time someone says bee

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

If you like Beef and Dairy, I recommend the BBC radio sketch show Small Scenes. Written in part by Partridge, there's a lot of the regular Beef and Dairy cast involved as well.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Bip Roberts posted:

I liked the "we barely had to fudge rolls this campaign"

I assume that was because Travis said he fudged rolls way back in Balance and loads of people got pissed off. I'm hoping they all appreciate how much more fun RPGs get when you fail now.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

It looks ok but it's no War with Grampa.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

isn’t he like known to be a pretty lovely Tory IRL?

He’s friends with Clarkson, so he’s probably doing something wrong

He's wealthy enough that he can afford to crash a McClaren F1 so yeah, almost certainly a tory.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

The original Mr Bean is only 15 episodes

He built that whole drat fortune and an internationally beloved brand that continues to rake in gangbusters and has a colossal YouTube presence on 15 episodes

And don’t say Blackadder, only nerds, Britons of a certain age, and anglophiles (nerds) know about that show, and it certainly didn’t make him any serious money

He did adverts too. I assume those made a few quid.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

It is a sad reflection of the state of the internet that it is a relief that this guy was "just" a huge piece of poo poo and not a pedophile, nazi or nazi pedophile.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

The first two days is Travis introducing characters and the third day is them having conversations with each other.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Ah, it's a shame they're moving on from Ethersea for a bit but I've absolutely got in a creative rut with a campaign before and needed a break so I get it. I think I'd like to see Clint DM something though.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Sankis posted:

All of them, though especially Clint and Travis, always seem to try for a tidy ending where everyone gets what they want. It's been fun to see Griffin punishing, albeit gently, that kind of stuff this time around. It'd be hilarious if the 'season' ended with something terrible happening to all of them as a result.

I think there's a ton of media (Bioware RPGs spring immediately to mind, as did the half arsed end of Falcon and Winter Soldier) where "oh, we'll handwave a solution that somehow makes everyone happy without digging too deeply into how this doesn't somehow piss off anyone else" is how stuff ends. It's surprisingly pervasive.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Zero One posted:

Incredible Angry Griffin energy this week as it was revealed Travis didn't watch MvB and Justin only watched one episode while high

The first of those spoilers absolutely infuriated me as well. I don't know why I expected anything else.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Zero One posted:

Peak TAZ was the "purchase" of the Flaming Poisoning Raging Sword Of Doom.

That really was amazing, you can practically hear the gears thunk into place in Griffin's head when he realises what Justin is doing.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

External Organs posted:

Can't believe I forgot about Tanzer Silverview, of the Silverviews!

So called because they can see silver very easily and that's how they got their fortune and there's no need to examine their wealth any further!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Empty Sandwich posted:

I'm agreeing with what you both said, despite the fact that I'm doing a bad job of saying that. there was basically no narrative reason for Amber and Devo not to fistfight and then never talk again.

Exactly this - and this happened in the early part of the Rusty Quill Gaming Podcast, the players and GM realised that two of the characters were just fundamentally incompatible and would never hang around together so one of the characters left the group and the player created a new character. At some point that's just what you've got to do rather than just keep trying to force it to work.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Catpain Slack posted:

I thought Ethersea was supposed to be a light-hearted monster of the week type deal, what the gently caress happened?

They couldn't even play Monster of the Week as a lighthearted monster of the week type deal.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

Like at this point it kind of feels like they really hate doing TAZ and wish they could stop at least for a bit but they’ve already built it up into a major keystone of their brand and income earner for literally everybody in the family and plus they’ve got all of these business relationships and comic book people to keep employed and whatnot and also clearly the fans, what if they lose the fans?

I get the impression that they really enjoy doing the live shows, either because they're returns to the characters they spent ages building or because they get to do something new as a one off. The business as usual podcast though, that's work.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I will never listen to a Justin ad read

A good refresher would be an outside DM, but also you could have a guest for a season - one of the brothers could still DM but having someone else in the party would shake things up a bit.

Get Stuart Wellington in to DM for an arc, he'd fit in while bringing something new to the table.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I'm personally terrified of heights if there's anywhere I could actually physically reach the expanse of air that I could fall down, but if I'm inside something I'm fine. Inside a skyscraper? No problem. Open a window that I could fit through and I nope the gently caress out.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

blast0rama posted:

It’s been long enough and I feel comfortable saying it…

Yes, Bean Dad sucks, but “It’s a Departure” was a way better intro song.

Nah dude. It was a good song but Montaigne has absolutely nailed the brothers' vibe.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

you mean the “late-stage MaxFun fandom” vibe?

I mean is anyone a Maxfun "fan"? I like that a couple of shows I enjoy benefit from their funding method but there's dozens of shows and they're so disparate I don't know how you'd be a fan of the network overall.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Dietrich posted:

could have never seen what was coming for me
hangs at the skate park
hangs at the beach

This is the best part of the video for the song as she literally is stood on a beach and points at the sea.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Empty Sandwich posted:

they learned their lesson after the untimely death of the noble BoyLand

Wait, didn't BoyLand show up once for an intro scene and then the next time we saw him he was crystal?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

so that’s why my hacked Griffin keeps saying poo poo like “—it’s not really fun for me, if I’m being honest, this style of play…just seems chaotic for the purpose of it—“

You've got to feel at least a little bad for Travis that a game of Among Us went so bad that someone's able to quote a twitch stream of it a year later.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Yeah I meant went bad in the sense of "Travis getting lovely".

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Dust theme is good but I'm not sure how well I'm going to cope with Travis playing multiple characters. Might just be a me problem but every single one comes off as an rear end in a top hat.

Hopefully he's learned from Graduation and doesn't spend three episodes introducing all of them and then long swathes of other episodes having four way conversations with himself.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I like Dust okay, but am I the only one who finds the conversational rules of the game system REALLY goddamn stilted? I felt the same way about sections of Amnesty. Being able to only ask like, one of five predetermined things on an investigative check regardless of context or direct relevance to the situation... I dunno it just feels to me like kinda shittily constructed dialogue trees in a Skyrim game or something. I kinda get it for actions but for dialogue imo it kinda sucks, and considering the game system is supposed to be about dialogue and investigation the execution leaves me cold sometimes.

Is it just me?

When I've played PBtA games before those questions are like... for the GM to answer VIA the conversation rather than for you to ask the NPC directly. You can have whatever conversations you want, passing those checks means you definitely get that info.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

SamuraiFoochs posted:

This makes way more sense. Still a clunky aspect of the system though imo.

I guess, I don't think it's any more clunky than how most people use persuasion checks in D&D, it just defines some limits on what success means.

(I know that there's actually rules on how far persuasion can take you in D&D if the other party hates your character, it's just most DMs seem to set a DC and if you pass it the NPC does whatever you want)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

grittyreboot posted:

So Griffin moved to D.C. recently? Seems like an odd choice. Considering the state of America and the world in general I'd probably wanna live anywhere else.

I assumed it was for Rachel's job or something. No idea what she does but Griffin can be Griffin anywhere