Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Zaphod42 posted:

3 episodes in and I'm liking this way more than I figured I would.

It being animated, it seems they're even more willing to depict random civilians being brutally killed than "adult" superhero takes like Watchmen or Boys. People go splat a LOT but I like the tone.

Overall I get major One Punch Man vibes from this, like a western OPM with some Boys thrown in.

And I knew this had big production values and some big names but the cast still keeps impressing me. Clancy Brown as Demon Detective is amazing.

It's a tiny bit more "teen" than I'd prefer, but yeah, this has been a lot of fun so far and the voice cast is unreal. I like the sense of humor it has too. One of the things that sold me was in the second episode, when this demon guy mysteriously shows up, and he's got the trenchcoat and hat and has red skin and talks very forebodingly in his gravelly voice -- and then Cecil is just like "gently caress you rear end in a top hat, you say one word to anyone else and I'll put a goddamn bullet in your brain", just no respect whatsoever. We don't give a poo poo about mysterious demons, either do what you're told or shut the gently caress up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Fartington Butts posted:

When Mark said "This is like all desserts in one" I knew it exactly what it was gonna be and now I want some.

Bummer that we aren't getting more Clancy Brown.

Oh right! What was that? I tried googling Filipino dessert in bag but no dice.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

JT Smiley posted:

Oh and I hate Robot's new voice.

VagueRant posted:

Sad to lose Zachary Quinto's creepy voice though. New guy sounded super familiar to me and it was making me go nuts, but apparently it's just some guy from the mid-late Walking Dead?

Gotta admit, the Lincoln reveal whizzed past me, I initially assumed the implication was that Immortal was the assassin! Seems like a LOT of people missed it completely.

Yup, new Robot's voice suuuucks, just super flat and boring (and not in a way that feels like the actor's doing it on purpose because he's been a bottle boy for so long). I actually didn't realize it was Zachary Quinto on the original Robot voice, and I moused over for the Amazon X-Ray thing and it showed Zach Quinto as Robot(!) and further on down the list Some Guy I Don't Recognize as Rudy(who?), and I kept thinking how weird it was that Quinto sounded so dull.

But otherwise omg that was an amazing episode. I couldn't believe they kept up the action scenes the whole time, I thought that stuff was too expensive to do so much of it. Felt like we were getting spoiled when Mary showed up, and then Rage-Mode Abe Lincoln was just ridiculous. They say he fought a bear, you know.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Even that doesn't make sense, though, because it's not like he's been secluded or anything, and he's shown he knows how to use, like, inflection and stuff when he was talking through the Robot suit. They really should have kept the original actor.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Maybe it's like video games where you shoot the boss a hundred times and it just goes plink-plink-plink and he doesn't even react, but then after a hundred and twenty shots he starts blinking red and moving faster, and then after a hundred and fifty shots he just dies.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I wonder if people in that continuity are aware he was Abe Lincoln but aren't really impressed because these days he's a bit of a dick plus there's way cooler superheroes around now

Is there a similar character in DC or Marvel? The closest I can think of is Samson, who's a C-lister who I think was the actual Samson from the Bible (although don't take my word for it because I don't know anything about him really.)

The only one I can think of is Gilgamos from Irredeemable. I think he's pretty much exactly the same story as the Immortal, super long-lived hero who's seen all of history, generic super strength powerset. It'd just be an odd choice to do an analogue of him specifically -- Irredeemable is another story about an off-brand Superman going evil and killing the off-brand Justice League, and I would have thought Invincible was treading so much of the same ground that they wouldn't want to crib minor characters from it too.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Maybe it's like the Lazarus pit and you go insane for a while after you come back. He seemed to go from asleep to 100% turbo ragemode Lincoln in no time at all.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Dignity Van Houten posted:

In my heart I'm hoping that there's more to the Omni-Man big secret "I was sent here to conquer the planet not protect it" all along like we're assuming. The show isn't even being subtle about it. So I'm hoping the writers don't go for the low hanging fruit but I wouldn't put money on them surprising me.

I'm not sure exactly what else it could be, though. Maybe they also want to use us as breeding stock now that they know they can produce superpowered offspring like Mark with human partners? I know (minor real-world meta spoiler)the comic ran for a long time, and I'm not sure how long they could possibly keep the current storyline running -- it feels like Mark is gonna side with his dad or more likely reject him, and then Nolan comes back with an armada or something within another season or two. They could do the thing where Nolan has to switch sides because he loves Mark and his wife too much to conquer the Earth and kill everyone, but holy poo poo Nolan's racked up a ton of gory murders and unrepentant bad guy scenes to just go back and say "sorry, changed my mind, we're all buds again."

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Hah! I haven't thought of it since the first few episodes, but I did wonder if she had some sort of gender-fluidity going on based on that symbol. I also heard her name as Adam Eve rather than Atom Eve, which didn't help.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Jedit posted:

Another point to consider is that Omni-Man doesn't look particularly extraordinary when he's out of the uniform. He's just a guy in decent shape in his late 40s with a moustache, living a quiet suburban life with his family. Probably a few of Debbie's friends have joked over a prosecco that her husband looks like Omni-Man and just as probably got the response "I wish", but as you say - nobody's really looking for one of the most famous men on Earth on their own street.

You can't think this hard into it -- alter-ego disguises are just an afterthought to making the costume look cool, and its convenient to show the person's face rather than a mask. People recognize celebrities on the street every day (and in this particular case I think you're nuts, Nolan's mustache and the grey-on-the-sides look is incredibly distinctive). You would absolutely recognize Omniman if he walked into Starbucks wearing a shirt and khakis, the same way you'd recognize Chris Evans even if he wasn't wearing the Captain America suit.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

I would just tell the guy I'd love to sign a picture for him, I've got some headshots out in my car, then as soon as we got outside *fwoop* I just toss him into the sun.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Do you live in a world where high resolution cameras haven't been invented, friend? We know what people look like.

Look, it's just superhero comics, this is just one of those things that you handwave away and don't think about too hard. Don't try to convince yourself that it's a brilliant disguise, or that Henry Cavill or whoever doesn't get recognized on a regular basis just because he fluffs up his hair a little differently or because no one expects him to be eating a quesadilla at the mall food court.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

oh my god all the Viltrum men are rocking the giant cop stache

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Retrowave Joe posted:

It was all the blood burning off, which was a neat touch.

But then at the end it did look like Invincible's clothes burned off to the suit beneath when he shot into space to meet Allen.

uber_stoat posted:

here's an absolutely insane frame i capped.

Haha yeah some of these shots were almost Ren and Stimpy gruesome. That whole thing was nuts, even if it did kinda end in the most by-the-numbers way possible. It's gonna be a pretty hard sell getting Nolan back onto Team Good Guys though, holy poo poo he must have done at least a dozen 9/11s worth of damage in just five minutes.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

This is amazing.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

As a whiteish American I cook more Mexican- and Asian-style food than anything else. Tacos and fried rice are just so easy and delicious and you can throw basically anything in there. I'm planning on making chili this weekend but I can't remember the last time I made anything you'd call American cuisine.

I dunno how this relates to the current conversation but I thought I'd share.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

This really feels like you’re saying “Ashley doesn’t feel “black-coded” because she doesn’t walk around listening to hip-hop and sagging her pants”. Saying that characters with Asian skin tones and Asian eye shapes and dark Asian hair aren’t sufficiently “Asian Coded” means you’re expecting them to be wearing rice-paper tama hats and, like you said, eating all their food with chopsticks.

Is it uncommon for Korean-Americans not to practice a lot of Asian traditions in their household? I always figured there are tons of people from whatever race or ethnicity that just kinda live here and don't pay any particular attention to their heritage. I also expect a lot of the individual culture to be washed out of people living in wealthy suburbia in favor of the bland generic wealthy suburban lifestyle.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The absolute worst part of the season. Just a complete :wtf: moment

Huh? When I see things like this I kinda wonder if you guys know how relationships work, or how people work. She really liked him, and she saw him nearly die on live TV. Maybe she went through a rational "he's fun to be with, but he always breaks his promises and he lies about where he's going and I can't be with him" beforehand, but people aren't robots and it doesn't mean the feelings she had for him are instantly extinguished and gone forever. "Oh my god he could have died" is going to stir up a ton of emotion, and it's not surprising that being scared to lose him might overwhelm the rational conclusion she came to the day before.

Especially since she's a teenager and she doesn't have the experience to recognize that the underlying issues are still there and will raise their head again once the shock of his near-death has worn off.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

I really did not ever get the sense that this show was for children. The tone and setting aren’t inherently immature or dumbed down.

I dunno, that was my impression too. Not children, but definitely made for a teenage audience. It's a pretty by-the-numbers teenage coming-of-age story, where he's going to high school, crushing on girls, flipping burgers for pocket money, wishing to be a big grown-up superhero like his dad. It's a genre that I know plenty of adults will watch, but the entire setup seems squarely aimed at a teenage demographic who will directly identify with all the things Mark's going through. I was ready to give it a miss after the first thirty minutes, not because I thought it wasn't fairly well-done, but because I just didn't have much interest in watching a generic teen superhero show.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Jedit posted:

She does, but she de-ages far more rapidly in monster form than she can hope to out-age in the other direction. The price of her eternal youth would be having to stand by and watch other people suffer when she knows she has the power to stop it.

Also there's no saying that she actually becomes younger in any way other than her body maturation reversing. She could end up in a body that looks 16 but is 70, with all the infirmities that implies.

If she just didn't transform much, it'd work out great. She could age herself up to 21 and then just monster out a few times a year so she always stayed young. But it's still a curse in that she's faced with constant internal torture -- she knows using her powers is going to ruin her life, but she doesn't want to ignore people in need when her powers could save them.

Also, I think if your "body maturation" is reversing then by definition you don't have the infirmities of a 70-year-old body. This is a super scientific discussion of course, since we're talking about magical de-aging in a cartoon, but I think if you have the skin and bone density and whatnot of a 16-year-old, then you can't possibly be suffering the effects of a lifetime of wear and damage.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

jesus christ, really? I've been waiting for a Season 2 announcement for months now.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

The last I heard the second season is still only four episodes long, so I'm tempering my expectations accordingly.

Huh?? They know they have like a hundred more comics to get through, don't they? I don't even understand why season 2 is taking so long. It was a big hit, right? I'm sure COVID slowed stuff down but we're pretty far into business as usual again.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Good Citizen posted:

Irredeemable is ok, if a bit of a slog at some points. I thought it’s deconstruction of his main villain Modeus was way more interesting than it’s take on their Superman analogue

I really liked Irredeemable, but yeah, it kinda dragged on a bit and got a little soap opera-y here and there. Still a really fun read, and a pretty good Bad Superman kinda comic -- in my opinion, better than the official Bad Superman comic, Injustice. They go into the Bad Superman's backstory and how someone who didn't have the loving upbringing of Clark Kent would have a much harder time processing everything that the world's greatest hero would have to go through, and it's a pretty interesting deconstruction of why he would snap and turn on everyone. A lot of pretty fun bits in there, especially if you'd also be interested in seeing a less-pacifistic Dr. Who analogue.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You didn't like the bit where he confesses his love to Lois Lane and tells her he's secretly the Plutonian, and she instantly runs out into the Daily Planet office and is like "Hey, everyone! Clark Kent is secretly the Plutonian!" and they immediately put it on a broadcast ahahaha. And then he rages out and flies out and destroys the satellite before it can receive the transmission, and comes back to deliver a speech like "you dumb motherfuckers, if certain people ever find out what you know they'll kill you and anyone near you to get to me" and then I think it says a couple of em eventually killed themselves under the stress of knowing the secret.

Like there were some legitimately fun parts, but yeah, as has been said it dragged out way too long and had some dumb stuff happen to keep the plot going (although I think the eventual ending was pretty good).

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Jedit posted:

There's no point in saying that when a ship capable of intergalactic travel would have to be able to go faster. Spaceships travel at the speed of plot. We don't need to know the hows and whys of it.

Yeah. Space is just too enormous for most sci-fi stories to actually work, unless you're specifically telling a hard sci-fi story about generation ships or relativistic speeds that catapult them a thousand years into the "future" or something. You just can't have a Millennium Falcon that hops from planet to planet in less time than it takes for civilizations to collapse if you're not willing to handwave a lot of the traveling.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Wait seriously? WTF I just looked and the next four episodes are TBA Early 2024, I thought it was just like a month-long break until after the holidays.

Very cool episode though. How do they think Mark's going to make it back home after leaving him on an alien planet beaten half to death with a stab wound in his gut though? I've read the comics and I can't even remember how that works lol.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

GunnerJ posted:

lol Nolan hosed a bug

:nms:

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

GateOfD posted:

have to say, I don't care at all about the Atom Eve stuff we're being presented with so far. so mopey.

Yeah, I could honestly care less about most of the stuff that isn't directly following Mark and Nolan. I forget how it went down in the comics, but I wonder if it would work better if Mark was working more closely with the Guardians of the Globe so we had him as the point of view character for all the stuff that's happening with them, and then just give Mark the solo spotlight once he goes into space. Eve too, really -- I guess they want to show her going on her own little journey of self-discovery, but when she's off on her own then yeah, her own solo story is just too mopey and drags the rest of it down.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Does Amazon literally want this show to fail? I had no idea the new episode came out, and even looking at my Prime Video it's not on the front page anywhere. I just don't understand what they're doing to this thing.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

DogsInSpace! posted:

Show is still good but going to be annoyed if Amazon is like “nobody watched the second half premiere that we forced so time to cancel.” MAX has made me paranoid.

This is the sort of thing I'm worried about, like the animation and voice actors are too expensive so they're trying to subtly give themselves a reason to cancel it.

M_Gargantua posted:

And they probably don't even know they buried it, since its all black box algorithm tailored per user. All they see is that nobody watched, not why.

And this doesn't make any sense either, because Invincible is one of maybe a half-dozen shows I've watched on Amazon Video, I think the only other shows I've watched all the way through were The Boys and Upload. You'd think the algorithm would know I'd be interested in watching the other half of the season it knows I've seen.

At any rate, I really enjoyed this one too. Did not expect the battle back home to be as fatal as it ended up being. Holy poo poo. That bit with Shrinking Girl trying to expand herself after the goon ate her, and the goon just crushing her to death inside himself, loving gross as hell lol. Also liked Robot trying to stop Monster Girl from having to de-age herself for training, but apparently never giving a second thought to poor Dupli-Kate getting gruesomely killed every few seconds. I read the comics back when the show first came out, but so much time has passed that I've forgotten most of it besides the biggest plot beats, so all that really took me by surprise.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Would you rather live on Viltrum or Harkonnen Planet?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

jfc watching the new episode now and it was 9 minutes in before I realized the monotonal narrator wasn't just a weird thing they were doing for this episode.

Amazon apparently defaulted me to English with Audio Description, which is kind of an interesting thing they're doing for accessibility, but completely baffling when you have no idea why there's an emotionless voice describing everything happening in each scene.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

How did Rex survive that? He got literally shot in the head. We saw the exit wound, even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Froghammer posted:

Jesus Christ Immortal, Nolan's killed you with very little effort twice. What makes you think flying out to fight him solo in space is a good idea

For supposedly having hundreds of years of wisdom (and being literally abe lincoln), Immortal for some reason has zero chill.