Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Wheeee posted:

. in the first couple episodes of invincible we see omni man get beat up and injured by some scrub justice league knockoffs in the process of killing them and also genocide an entire technologically advanced planet almost instantly, there's an incongruence there but the details don't matter because either way he still fills the role of most powerful dude

Omniman let himself get beaten up by the members of Global Whatever because he needed to be injured to create the narrative that they were all attacked by someone else.

I don't doubt he could have killed them all without effort. Hell, he probably wasn't even that badly hurt.

Maybe he spent his entire time in hospital just pretending to be unconscious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

zoux posted:

like when that guy gets his torso pulled out of his mech

Yeah, that's one of those scenes I don't think I'll ever forget.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Mr Interweb posted:

but 1. nolan planned on planting the dna evidence after he found out and got mad that darkblood was snooping around and 2. why did he still keep it after planting the evidence?

We see why when his wife takes the suit to the tailor - the age of the blood splatter on his suit indicated that he struck first.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
It was weeks in our time, wasn't it?

He could have been on that planet, slowly wiping everyone out, for centuries.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Takes a lot of time to animate all that blood splatter.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I just watched the Atom Eve special and, how to say this, why did they bother?

Maybe her past is going to inform a lot of the next season, but the whole thing was such generic YA bullshit.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Panfilo posted:

What I don't get is why they need to "weaken" the planet in the first place. When the Viltrumites roll in they'll crush all the resistance anyway. We also don't even get a timetable of when they'll actually show up

These aren't comic spoilers because we're far past that point now, but Nolan was supposed to keep the planet safe and remove any threats as they came up. Keep the place nice and tidy until the new masters arrived. Probably advance the technology and whatnot, too.

But Earth is a poo poo magnet.

Constant storms, floods, earthquakes, alien invasions, interdimensional demons, giant monsters, asteroids, supervillains, pollution, capitalism, etc.

He was so busy just trying to keep things from falling apart, he never actually managed to prepare the Earth like he was supposed to.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Panfilo posted:

"I was his assistant. We consider 'sidekick' an offensive term"

It's Hero Support.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

MonsterEnvy posted:

Who’s to say they built all of that and didn’t just steal a lot of that from others. Viltrumites are perfectly capable of flying to other planets under their own power.

In the latest episode the bug alien says he's taking Mark a couple galaxies away. Which is a hell of a distance for his dad to fly.

But I'm going to put that at the feet of the eternal inability of writers to understand the difference between star systems, galaxies and universes.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Hughlander posted:

Which do you think is the worse for that?

Star Trek.

Star Wars is space fantasy, so I give them a pass for being ridiculous.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
The Atom Eve special still seems really pointless to me. Sure, it was an excuse for some fights and gore, but it didn't show anything that couldn't have been done in a small flashback or a few lines of dialogue.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
She multiplies out of control and eats entire crops, changing her name to Katydid.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Only does superhero stuff once every 17 years.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I respect that the Viltrumite way of attacking a planet is to literally attack a planet. Flying head first directly into the ground like a missile.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I know the first ever image of a black hole was only a few years* ago, but surely astronerds mathed out how they'd appear decades ago.

So why has it only been the last couple years we've been seeing the "right-angled" accretion disk in shows?

It seems like overnight we went from this:

To this:

* google tells me 2017. drat. I was sure it was, like, 2005 or something.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Nov 25, 2023

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Yeah, the books are either going to tell them all about the Viltrumite empire or reveal some sort of kryptonite for them.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
^^^ I'm sure there was dialogue in the first season about him writing and working on his latest book.

But, thinking on it, given how the show went out of its way to show the books on the curb Chekhov's gun style, maybe he did hide something in them.

-

I'm going to guess Omni-Man is not all that imaginative a writer and used his own personal experiences from his thousands of years as a conqueror as his inspirations for the books.

Sure, he only meant for it to be a cover for his civilian life when he was writing them, but during his time with the bugs, realised it could help mark against the inevitable invasions.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Nov 25, 2023

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
So season 1 had a literal demon from hell.

How does that work with alien planets? Do they have their own hells, or is there just the one?

What would a bug world demon look like?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Wish I owned a dick home.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

BioEnchanted posted:

Donald ends up going to the Maulers to discuss the nature of being a clone now that he's found out he may be one. That could be cute, them just acting as clone therapy for him helping him cope with the revelation.

A clone who can dent a knife when he stabs himself with one.

He's a terminator - living flesh over metal endoskeleton.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Collateral posted:

The first one is a classic, take it on its own. The ones with the rish stuff were just comfortably bad.

And the main character has sex with a child. And the part with the rape vampires* who eat you while raping you. And the orgy traders.

* who aren't sapient, so when people go to the rape brothel to gently caress one, they're basically having sex with livestock.

Good old 'classic' sci fi!

:eng99:

Nuebot posted:

All authors are weird perverts, hate to break it to you.

:emptyquote:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Youtube has decided to show me endless Invincible shorts for future events in the comics.

I only read a few of the comics before I tapped out, but goddamn, it got really stupid.

I'm talking daytime soap but with superheroes level stupid.

Also, loving youtube always does this with any show. Search one time to find something out and you get a thousand 'creators' with untagged spoilers and the most unbelievably inane commentary imaginable.

The Bee posted:

His glasses were still ditched under the rubble, so I doubt it tbh.

Picture of Donald's bed:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Not as cursed as the other one I saw today where Nolan talks about why Mark once found a dog collar under the couch.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

BioEnchanted posted:

"Debbie loves me, but really as more of a pet..."

Close.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MemeVideos/comments/180j4a6/i_think_i_downloaded_the_wrong_version_of/

Content warning - it gets very reddit.

But it's amazing* how good AI voices are getting.

* for a given value of amazing

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Such as it was

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I know it's been a trope since the very first Spider-Man comics, but I'm really sick of "hero tries to attend college and have a regular girlfriend" bullshit.

Cecil needs to sit Mark down and tell him that poo poo is just not going to happen. Hell, offer him free tutors and private classes if he still wants to further his education - all government heroes should be getting that poo poo anyway.

They should be doing languages, crisis negotiations, electrical engineering, and all sorts of weaponry and military stuff. I assume special forces and secret agent types do training in all sorts of poo poo constantly, why wouldn't you want that for your supes?

Your strongest hero who might be called to save the world at a moment's notice should not be distracted by exam stress or worried about missing class.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Kid wants to have his cake and eat it too.

It's already hurting his girlfriend and mother and will probably hurt a lot more people before he's done.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Stairmaster posted:

Cecil should get fired for how he handled poo poo this week

He could at least start by offering Mark a huge salary.

He has hosed up gaining his trust so many times, he needs to hire someone with people skills to interact with the Nolan family.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Are there any Viltrumites with abilities beyond punchy-fist?

I mean, are there shapeshifitng, mindreading, telekinetic, pyrokinetic, etc Viltrumites?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Like Nolan did?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Jedit posted:

Humans are so close to Viltrumites that while they had no powers of their own

The Guardians of the Globe would dispute that.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

TGG posted:

Also there is an in comics reason for the Viltrumites acting all weird about this poo poo and just not straight taking Earth immediately.

I suppose when you live for thousands of years, holding off an invasion for two of three years is nothing.

Also, they've mentioned that Viltrumites don't fight each other and seem to honestly want Mark to come around to becoming one of them.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

MonsterEnvy posted:

Also they probably stole most of their tech from the planets they invaded over the millennia.

So, would all the people the Nazis put into camps get the same treatment under Viltrum?

Only, how do they view body/gender dismorphia, ADHD, people on the spectrum? Hell, short-sighted people could well be considered "flawed".

This:

Spanish Matlock posted:

What's interesting here is that he says that it's legal to kill the weak on Viltrum. What about subject planets? What does it mean to be a subject planet?

Yeah, that's the big question.

edit: okay, pretty much my whole post was already covered on the rest of the page.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 31, 2024

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

uber_stoat posted:

edit i read a book with space aliens that could regenerate their heads but they got a new personality in the process.

That's why you keep a backup brain in your chest.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Angstrom Levy sure was a nothing villain.

Levy would have been far more interesting if they ramped up how he could no longer tell which universe was which and made him a tragic figure, trying to save the universe but no longer able to tell what's real any more.

They showed on brief scene where he 'sees' other Marks killing his loved ones across multiple timelines, but then he goes and tries to torture an infant.

Serotoning posted:

I agree with all of this. Angstrom could have pushed Mark's "how can I be a Really Good Guy as the son of a Really Bad Guy?" button so much more, which he did in the beginning a bit, but it ended up being so rushed into one episode that most of it didn't really stick. He could have taken him to one of the many dimensions where he and his dad have taken over Earth and let him ruminate in the part of his current dimension self that may have sympathies for that and the "good" a Viltrumite occupation does for mankind.

Angstrom doing "I'm sorry, I simply cannot take the chance you're different" would have been so much better than what we got and really driven home how hosed up Mark would have been after killing him.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Apr 5, 2024

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Hughlander posted:

Very disappointed his name is agent spider and not Arachnid-Man like I thought when I saw the A.

I've always been partial to Arachnobat.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Nolan had an absolutely racist worlview that allowed him to distance himself from relationships he had with "lesser" species, but he did drop his guard for Mark due to his Viltrumite powers. That ended up massively challenging his beliefs since Mark did not share them. I don't think that in any way makes Nolan a good person (and he certainly does not deserve Debbie's forgiveness, though he should apologize to her anyway) but I do think it's a believable and compelling arc.

Nolan's moved beyond "they're all untermenschen" to viewing Debby as "one of the good ones" and Mark as pure enough under the Viltrumite equivalent of the 'one drop' rule.

He's absolutely not a good person.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Fiction has a horrible habit of doing this sort of thing - having a monster repent and suddenly we're supposed to put all the evil poo poo they did behind them.

Mark even talking to him beggars belief - Nolan used his face to murder a train for gently caress's sake.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Nuebot posted:

The story hasn't gone full hero academia on this poo poo yet

What happened there? I started watching the show, saw it had a designatet sex pest character and sexualised children, and bounced right out.

:sigh: that manga/anime so often do that - great premise, creepy as gently caress execution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Nuebot posted:

Basically this: there's a character who's entire thing was that he was a huge hyper aggressive rear end in a top hat who would go above and beyond to really gently caress up villains, was excessively hard on his kids and had a weird arranged marriage where he pressured his wife into having kids so he could produce a perfect eugenics super child which culminated in his entire family hating him, one child self destructing in a very literal fashion and his wife having a breakdown and nearly killing one of their children.

About halfway through the series the author decided that, actually, he's not as bad as he's been made out to be and spent multiple story arcs not only having his family, including his wife, reunite with him and take him back but just generally soften his image overall so he could be a big cool hero during the lovely final arc.

What the gently caress is it with media and going "abusers aren't that bad really"?

Can't even say it's unrealistic, sadly. You see it over and over in the r/relationships thread where people are "Hey, remember that person who was a monster to you growing up and who you cut out of your life? I've secretly been in contact with them and, oops, here they are to meet you!"

Only, in the real world, abusers never stop being abusers. The whole "...but family!" is so toxic.

Now I'm triply glad I threw that show into the trash.