Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I haven't played since they implemented "Rocket On" and all these giant stat-lines scare me. 60X for Two Energy?
Hold me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
So I downloaded the TCGO client and I'm playing against the AI. Will I ever get to use my own deck against the AI or just the three theme decks for all eternity?
I'm worried about moving out of tutorial zone and getting stomped by Mega Ultra G max Jiggilypuff V or whatever the current hotness is

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Holy hell its Bidoof on all platforms

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Turbinosamente posted:

Wasn't mtg pretty bad recently with sheer volume of cards? I recall seeing some bitching about it on a discord someplace. Also hi thread I still exist, just haven't had time to pop open tcgo and am kinda biding my time until Evolving Skies. Hopefully the promise of eevees doesn't drive up the scalping again. Last I knew prices were coming down some? I'm actually more interested in a shot at the pretty rayray cards in the set instead.

Magic is going nuts with monthly releases now.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

LiterallyATomato posted:

Hey I have a charizard card, holographic with no shadow from when I was a kid. What do I do with this, it's supposedly worth some money?

Go to eBay, or tcg player, or if you're ok with 50% your local game store

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ilmucche posted:

Kind of same question. Just found these and I have no idea where I got them

They kinda look like those vending machines that used to be everywhere. I remember one at a burger king.
I think they're fake. The box around the energy costs in the attacks makes me think so.
E: the foils at least.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

lifenomad posted:

On that "found old Pokémon cards in the attic" train.

I believe these are the most valuable ones I have. Not sure if it's worth paying for PSA/CGC/Beckett grading or not.

So pokemon prices IMO are weird but I would imagine you're looking at about 100+ each for each of those rares. (They have a black star in the lower right corner. Uncommons are a diamond. Commons a circle.)
I also don't recommend grading any of it.

E: TCG player agrees with me, based on listings and sales.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

mcmagic posted:

These worth anything?

Not really. The Charizard (Lower Left) would be if it was foil, the Mew (next to Blaine's Charizard) is thirty maybe.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

mcmagic posted:

They are all foils.

Oh well depending on condition over 60 last I checked.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

mcmagic posted:

Who can i sell it to?

Ebay.
If it was English maybe your LGS

E: The cards are named after the pokemon dipicted on them:
Bellosom, Dark Vileplume, Scizor, Butterfree
Blane's Charizard, Mew, Haunter, Kabutops

In pokemon foils are called "holo"s, short for holographic.

The sets are
Neo Genesis (the two stars)
Rocket (The R)
Neo Discovery (the temple)
Gym....Heroes? Challange? (It's the pokeball on the charizard. In japan this was only one set but in America they split it into two releases)
Fossil (the bone claw)
So the listing will be "[Card Name] [set] Holo Japaneese" and you should find one you can copy. You post in the MTG thread so you know what LP and NM are, I'm assuming.

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Sep 15, 2021

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ilmucche posted:

So is the tcg mostly about trying to draw your whole deck to set up one haymaker the opponent can't answer? It seems like there are loads of tutors and card draw here relative to mtg. Even with these theme decks in the online client i feel like i'm playing an mtg storm deck but with no idea what my ultimate goal is. Often times it comes down to who evolves a big pokemon first that rolls over the other side

Imagine MTG but there are no instants, Sorceries and Artifacts cost zero mana ,and you can combo off every turn except you don't go infinite and you're still limited to one attacker.
Lands are played attached to creatures.
And then you have to pass the turn and your opponent gets to do the same to you, because your one attacker can only kill one blocker and it's first to kill 6 blockers.
They also fixed a few things, because day 1 pokemon you could play a Wheel of Fortune (Professor Oak) for zero, have 4 copies in your deck, and also it was one sided. Now these incredibly powerful supporter cards are limited to 1 per turn.

It's a lot of fun, but IMO the power creep is too strong for me to stay interested in it. I just like the art and the attack names are awesome. (There's an Eevee except it's huge and it's attacks are either Ancestral Recall or "Brave Buddies" and I want to be it's buddy too)

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Sep 17, 2021

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ilmucche posted:

Yeah when I played base/fossil era professor oaks and bills were great cards. The pokemon were a lot weaker it seems. The op has a pokemon with 300+ HP o_O

Early Pokemon had an early magic vibe (and since they're both WOTC products, the mechanics are not dissimilar) where you could do all this powerful stuff but then you just flip trails attacking an elekid The stage two mcmagic posted (so a card that's literally unplayable without two others) only had 60 hp.
It was very much lotus into sera angel type stuff.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Magnetic North posted:

I recently heard about https://gymleaderchallenge.com/ which is basically singleton / highlander Pokemon. Has anyone tried it? Sounds like a laugh, as an observer.

PokeDH

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

IG-88 posted:

I refuse to believe this lol

Arena wins in the end.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
https://www.tcgplayer.com/product/2...anguage=English
The last one that sold, in june, was at 300 dollars.

E: I checked completed listings on ebay, they vary greatly. Like 600 dollars greatly.

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Sep 26, 2021

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Louisgod posted:

Maybe a weird ask but does anybody have a good printable list of all pokemon organized both by alphabetical and by their dex number (so two separate lists)? I’m going to organize all of my kids’ and mine’s cards by dex number and am thinking having a couple lists I can easily print would be super useful.

Also are there any sites selling Celebrations for a reasonable price? I got lucky and walked into Target release day morning and stumbled upon fully stocked shelves and bought a few ETBs but my hits were pretty lovely and now I’m addicted. Plan to post my doubles in the buy/sell thread in the hopes of completing the set.

e: found a system that kinda works, finishing up gen 2.

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pok%C3%A9mon_by_National_Pok%C3%A9dex_number
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pok%C3%A9mon_by_name
Excel handles copy and pasting from here well enough.

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Oct 11, 2021

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Can I just say I'm in love with the art rares

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I couldn't even see what items qualified and how to get them so gently caress me I guess

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Nckdictator posted:

Anyone know of a site like TCGplayer but for Japanese cards? I have a bunch of Japanese cards from the 90s that have been sitting in a binder since then. I’m trying to get a rough estimate of their value but it’s difficult when I don’t know half of their names.

Scrylens will translate them for you and [I]then[/II] you can go to TCG player

E: sorry I thought this was the mtg thread, no I don't but they're Pokemon surely you can identify them by sight?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Weren't shining Pokemon as old as neo discovery?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
They must be protected at all costs

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I haven't played since Rocket On, what's still legal?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The early Pokemon is much closer to early mtg, where you're playing a series of OP trainer cards (like the zero mana one-sided wheel in professor oak, or r the free divination in Bill) but then you're limited to just one attack to KO one Pokemon and your op gets to do their turn and do it all over again to you.
Anyways, get 59 psychic energy and an early Mewtwo and just use barrier 58 times until they deck themselves. Sorry, did you want your kids to quit, or...
(But also the best way to play the Pokemon TCG is just pick your favorite Pokemon and ignore the competitive aspect. Much like kitchen table magic)
Anyways thanks for bringing up my two favorite tcgs in the parenting thread where I can admit I already bought my 4mo the Pokemon tcg classic thing for when she's old enough.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I thought we were in the parents thread, I'm getting confused

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Those are all fantastic

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
It's there a place where I can look at just the secret arts?
I'm trying to find some to use as tokens for magic. The hoothoot on a cliff is a good 1/1 bird. I'm looking for a steel toe for a construct (magneton? Metagross?) And something for a plant (Bellsprout, Oddish?)

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I tried TCG player, limiting to ultra rare and it didn't seem to catch

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Ok I'll try it this way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Yeah I was just coming back to say I noticed that secret illustration and illustration rare are selectable categories and I feel dumb for not clicking them earlier